Modern Gamers Unimpressed by Miyamoto

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Syzygy23 said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Um while I do agree that he rehashed old stuff over and over, it's always good quality so who cares

You sure you aren't thinking about Rockstar or Bethesda? Since when has there ever been a truly open world game developed by a Japanese company?

Ah..bu...I don't even... what...

ARE YOU STUPID?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world Here, you might recognize a few of those.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I don't know who you're talking about but Donkey Kong Country Returns is a motherfucking fantastic game.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Toby Kitching said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Um while I do agree that he rehashed old stuff over and over, it's always good quality so who cares
I know it's been two days, but I HAD to quote this.

You use that excuse for nintendo franchises, but I bet you hate CoD for that exact reason. It pisses me off that miyamoto gets all this credit and gets called the greatest living game dev and all this when he never seems to make anything new. It's like how notch made one game and now everyone looks at him to find out what their opinions should be about anything.

/Rant

OT: yeah, i kinda agree. Tad ranty for my tastes though

/Hypocrisy
The funny thing is, I don't hate CoD, I sometimes enjoy it, so..

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Keoul said:
The "crux" of the matter is that Nintendo has basically paved the way for video games, Mario going from 2d platformer to 2d rpg is innovative, the controls were different, different story, different looks, Varied environments, EVERYTHING WAS DIFFERENT FROM A TRADITIONAL MARIO GAME except the original cast of characters! And just remember that mario didn't have any competitors, there was no competition for 2d platformers, yes there was other 2d rpgs but they couldn't even compare to Superstar Saga, at best they were Final Fantasy clones.

Now let's look at COD hmm? Made later than mario, still looked worse than other games of it's era (though this is entirely my opinion, I compared it to mass effect released 2007, a whole 2 years before COD). Then there's the fact that barely anything changes in the games, you shoot people. They even stole ideas from their competitors (Battlefield Series) when they ran out of ideas, Vehicles in MW2 is an example of that.

Please learn to argue, provide valid points instead of straw man arguements. You haven't given a single valid point or reasoning this entire time, just mocking me for what I can only assume to be Fanboy Rage.
The sheer amount of blind fandom in this one is astounding.
Switching game types is not innovative, they borrowed another style of game and applied their own IP to it. Any fucking developer could do it, I know lets create a racing game with characters from TF2 in it! There could be powerups and stuff! Oh wait that's basically mariokart..

MW2's visuals were designed so that they'd run at 60fps on the limited hardware power of the Xbox 360, whilst much smoother then 30fps titles obviously there will be drawbacks.
In a similar move every game ever made on the Wii looks like crap because it's got the processing power of a graphical calculator.

Apparently battlefield were the first ever series to do vehicles in an fps! Well that's news to me, you didnt happen to pull that out of your arse did you? Also I never realised that MW2 was the first in the series to involve vehicles in combat (it's not).

-.- you are just the worst, new art styles are innovative look at tf2 with it's cell-shaded visuals and compare that to the shitty "realistic" art style that was all the hype at the time.
I totally forgot TF2 was the fist game EVAR to do cell shading as well! HOW COULD I FORGET.
That's innovation for you.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Raika said:
The last time this talentless hack made anything that was in any way new or original was in the early 2000s. He's been coasting on nostalgia ever since there were video games old enough to be nostalgic about. It makes sense that he'd shit on newer titles that have much more to say for themselves than his constant rehashes of old titles, especially given how obsessed he is with himself, but I figured I'd just take the opportunity to point out that the Michael Jackson of video games is about as relevant in this day and age as a corded rotary telephone.

tl;dr: Miyamoto shitting on modern games is pretty obvious compensation for how little anybody cares about him. It's Donkey Kong Country all over again.
Exactly what do you mean by "Modern gamers"?

Do you mean the age bracket between 6-12?

or do you mean the hardcore super mature 12-16 age bracket?

MaxiP62

Jul 10, 2011
Dunno what you got your idea of Miyamoto being full of himself from, he is always talking about the consumer and how he wants things to be better for them. He's also training younger workers at Nintendo for when he leaves.

That isn't selfish or being full of himself, that's just knowing that he did come up with good ideas, he doesn't as often now, and he wants more people to like he did.

EDIT: To those who are saying you don't know who he is, google it instead of proclaiming your 'Modern Gamer' status to everyone, saves everyone a lot of time and effort.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I don't hate Miyamoto, he merely offers input on what he thinks on the industry, even if he rehashs old titles, they sell very well and so, don't fix what ain't broke, no ones telling you to listen to him or play Nintendo.
Isn't it kinda hypocritical to endorse Miyamoto's rehashes as "don't fix what's not broke" when the argument that spurred this thing was a lack of innovation in modern games?
The rehash arguement has always confused me, It's like the people who say "Skyrim s too similar to Oblivion" What the hell do you people think a sequel is?!

It sells, so they keep making games like it, if you don't like it, go buy something else. I loved Kirby's Epic Yarn and that was innovative, despite everyone thinking otherwise, like Paper Mario!
Way to not address my point at all. I'd still appreciate an answer.

Also, people do know what a sequel is. It's kind of weird. Sequels are not generally held to be near-identical iterations but rather titles sharing concepts, themes and even characters between narratives.

I'm sorry if that really does confuse you but it seems basic to me.

Anyway, holding this to be true, isn't it still hypocritical? Modern gaming companies are doing what sells, so who is he to criticise them? Especially if that's the only defensible point that can be mustered?

Toby Kitching

Oct 24, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Toby Kitching said:
Sean Hollyman said:

You use that excuse for nintendo franchises, but I bet you hate CoD for that exact reason. It pisses me off that miyamoto gets all this credit and gets called the greatest living game dev and all this when he never seems to make anything new. It's like how notch made one game and now everyone looks at him to find out what their opinions should be about anything.

/Rant

/Hypocrisy
How exactly can you support people stamping out the same game over and over again? even if it's just mostly rehashed, why exactly would game makers try something new and interesting if they can remake the same thing again with a few token additions? it really worries me that this trend is emerging so thoroughly. Why would miyamoto make the NEXT mario/zelda-killing franchise if he only has to stamp out another one of his old reliables? We're missing out. this is NOT a trend we should be condoning. Sequels, yeah, but when a franchise has run it's course it needs to be left alone so we can try something new.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Toby Kitching said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Toby Kitching said:
Sean Hollyman said:

/Rant

/Hypocrisy
How exactly can you support people stamping out the same game over and over again? even if it's just mostly rehashed, why exactly would game makers try something new and interesting if they can remake the same thing again with a few token additions? it really worries me that this trend is emerging so thoroughly. Why would miyamoto make the NEXT mario/zelda-killing franchise if he only has to stamp out another one of his old reliables? We're missing out. this is NOT a trend we should be condoning. Sequels, yeah, but when a franchise has run it's course it needs to be left alone so we can try something new.
I'm not bothered by it, I just enjoy the games man...

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
SmarterThanYou said:
Hazy992 said:
Oh ok, so when you said 'modern gamers unimpressed by Miyamoto' you actually meant 'I don't like Miyamoto and I now represent all modern gamers because of reasons'. Just so we're clear ^_^
Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

EDIT: Miyamoto rocks, just saying.
Aww man, giving the avatar of the dude you quoted you could have phrased that better.

Just Saiyan. ;)

OT - While I don't really care for Miyamoto myself, I really don't want you speaking for me OP.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
flaming_squirrel said:
The sheer amount of blind fandom in this one is astounding.
Switching game types is not innovative, they borrowed another style of game and applied their own IP to it. Any fucking developer could do it, I know lets create a racing game with characters from TF2 in it! There could be powerups and stuff! Oh wait that's basically mariokart..

MW2's visuals were designed so that they'd run at 60fps on the limited hardware power of the Xbox 360, whilst much smoother then 30fps titles obviously there will be drawbacks.
In a similar move every game ever made on the Wii looks like crap because it's got the processing power of a graphical calculator.

Apparently battlefield were the first ever series to do vehicles in an fps! Well that's news to me, you didnt happen to pull that out of your arse did you? Also I never realised that MW2 was the first in the series to involve vehicles in combat (it's not).
Then please enlighten me, what is innovation? because according to you, the following aren't
-Improved graphics
-New gameplay mechanics
-Branching out into new mediums
-Improved story

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Agayek said:
I'm staying out of this debate, but I felt I must point something out.

dancinginfernal said:
Skyward Sword made me love Miyamoto again
See this? This is why we can't have nice things.

Skyward Sword was a potentially excellent game, with a good amount (for a Zelda title) of new ideas, that was utterly ruined by a godawful and gimicky control scheme. Anyone that actually liked the game is provably wrong.

Nintendo needs to realize that motion controls are pointless gimmicks that do nothing but distract the player from enjoying the game. Once they do that, they may actually make decent games again.
You can't claim I'm wrong for enjoying a game. I did enjoy Skyward Sword. Whether the motion controls were a gimmick or not, they added a sense of depth and consciousness that was required of me more than simply pressing B three times.

However, I do agree that motion controls are not optimal for gaming. The depth I found could have easily been implemented in another fashion, blah blah motion controls are terrible and they should stop with the stupid bullshit.

However, I reiterate, I loved the hell out of Skyward Sword regardless of motion controls and you cannot prove that otherwise because you can't really prove either side regardless. Yay, opinions.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
trty00 said:
Sean Hollyman said:
It's the principle of the thing. It might be good quality, but wouldn't you get tired of eating the same food, regardless of quality?
If I enjoy it, then no I wouldn't

I'm really not bothered by Miyamoto

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Keoul said:
Then please enlighten me, what is innovation? because according to you, the following aren't
-Improved graphics
-New gameplay mechanics
-Branching out into new mediums
-Improved story
Using NEW ideas and methods, something which Nintendo actually manages to do quite well occasionally in between the torrent of re-releases and crap gimmicks.

Simply making graphics better is not innovation, although you could argue that Crysis was due to how far ahead it was of it's time in terms of photorealism.

Anyone can improve on gaming plots, they're 90% crap/stolen content. Nintendo is in no way alone in having shitty writing and it's laughable how anyone could consider anything they've written an innovation.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
flaming_squirrel said:
Nintendo is in no way alone in having shitty writing and it's laughable how anyone could consider anything they've written an innovation.
I don't know about that, Mother 3 is leagues ahead of most games. Actually the Mother games in general (though Mother 3 in particular) feature a kind of subversion rarely seen in games, Psychonauts comes closest to it.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Raika said:
The last time this talentless hack made anything that was in any way new or original was in the early 2000s. He's been coasting on nostalgia ever since there were video games old enough to be nostalgic about.
So what exactly have you contributed to the gaming industry?

And if you would actually play some games instead of just looking at the title you would notice that there have been many changes in the games that Nintendo releases. I had a debate with someone on another thread that there are three things you could do to continue a franchise:
1. Create a new story
2. Change the gameplay
3. A combination of the two

Most of Nintendo's franchises seem to fall into the second option. While Link or Mario essentially have the same mission over and over again, the mechanics of the game change with each iteration.

Something like God of War, Ratchet & Clank, or Modern Warfare tend to have more or less the same gameplay but change the story.

These seem to be the two main approaches to the continuation of a franchise and they both bring something to the player. Personally, I think the way Nintendo does it is actually more challenging. They try to come up with new mechanics for each generation of games. Sometimes it isn't that good (I'm looking at you Super Mario Sunshine) but it was at least an interesting attempt.

Also, if you would have read what he said instead of just the headline he pointed out that there are a lot of really good games and that we [gamers] got pickier as a group. So in essence, we are all a lot harder to impress. For instance, Modern Warfare was awesome but now with three of them down and a second Black Ops coming, along with all other modern shooters, it is difficult to be excited by the news of the next one.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Mr Somewhere said:
flaming_squirrel said:
Nintendo is in no way alone in having shitty writing and it's laughable how anyone could consider anything they've written an innovation.
I don't know about that, Mother 3 is leagues ahead of most games. Actually the Mother games in general (though Mother 3 in particular) feature a kind of subversion rarely seen in games, Psychonauts comes closest to it.
To be fair I've not experienced the Mother games so cant comment on them they may well be an exception, I only know the more mainstream Nintendo titles.