Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Irreducible Sohn said:
Amaror said:
Irreducible Sohn said:
evilneko said:
Any CryTek game.
This. All of this.

People wouldn't give two cents of attention to say Crysis if it weren't for the graphics.
Well i had a lot of fun with crysis one. it was no masterpiece but the abilities were fun to use.
It was not a great game but i liked it a lot more than, say, modern warfare 2.
I'm not saying Crysis is a bad game, but it does get overblown because of the graphics IMO.
Ok, i aggree with that statement, but you sounded more like: " if it weren't for the graphics noone would care about crysis at all" and i don't think thats true one bit.

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
Amaror said:
Irreducible Sohn said:
Amaror said:
Irreducible Sohn said:
evilneko said:
Any CryTek game.
This. All of this.

People wouldn't give two cents of attention to say Crysis if it weren't for the graphics.
Well i had a lot of fun with crysis one. it was no masterpiece but the abilities were fun to use.
It was not a great game but i liked it a lot more than, say, modern warfare 2.
I'm not saying Crysis is a bad game, but it does get overblown because of the graphics IMO.
Ok, i aggree with that statement, but you sounded more like: " if it weren't for the graphics noone would care about crysis at all" and i don't think thats true one bit.
I worded it bad. Sorry.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
endtherapture said:
Irreducible Sohn said:
evilneko said:
Any CryTek game.
This. All of this.

Crysis is gameplay wise, one of the most advanced and best shooters of the generation.

If you say otherwise you simply haven't played the game.
Yup. I bought it in a Steam sale for the graphics, but I was pleasantly surprised by the gameplay. That cloaking device never gets old. Ironically the graphics did it a disservice IMO, making everyone assume it was only about graphics and requiring hardware that most people didn't have.

flames09

Nov 26, 2011
Nope, it has done the opposite lately. All games used to be fun to play regardless of graphics, only lately once this has gone super mainstream with call of duty and such have the consumers begging for better graphics come around.

I have always enjoyed games despite graphics... except dwarf fortress, that was impossible for me to get my head around!

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Journey, it's a game about walking and people just eat that shit up cause it looks pretty. As a runner up Flower, it's a game about floating around and people just eat that shit up cause it looks pretty.

rutcommapat

Jul 1, 2011
ThePenguinKnight said:
Journey, it's a game about walking and people just eat that shit up cause it looks pretty. As a runner up Flower, it's a game about floating around and people just eat that shit up cause it looks pretty.
Or, you know, because it's a relaxing and engaging experience. That might be it too..

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I was going to say Mount and Blade but you beat me to it in the OP.
I would also say Supreme commander. Maybe I have my settings too low or perhaps they were good when they came out but when I look at it now the graphics don't look very good at all, especially on the rare occasion that I zoom in.
I do however love the way my full base will look or the huge robot armies I created marching in formation, it all looks really good when I play it but the graphics themselves are nothing to go crazy over.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Minecraft will always be the golden example of graphics not mattering, as well as Terraria to a lesser extent.

Pretty much every Pokemon game has pretty bad graphics but those games have no problem selling millions and millions of copies.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
There is a minimum standard of graphics for a given game to even work.

There is a level in a game where any poorer would detract from the game

In some cases extra time spent of graphics can pay dividends and actually improve a game beyond the mere look of it.

Loads of people try and separate gameplay and graphics and imply the aren't linked, they are often at the most fundamental levels. Whole gameplay elements have been invented to make up for things graphic engines cant do yet (camouflage is an easy example, cloaking devices aside, camouflage often has arcane borderline bullshit mechanics to make up for the fact that graphics still cant manage it.)

There are few games with decent gameplay that wouldn't be more enjoyable with better graphics.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Indeed, this is so true:
Some examples:

A game with very good and tastefull graphics:

A game with not so good graphics:

Yep, this is my answer.

Also I really, REALLY prefer the 2D games over the 3D games. Games like Rayman Origin or Dragon Crown make me always hungry to play more games.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
rutcommapat said:
ThePenguinKnight said:
Or, you know, because it's a relaxing and engaging experience. That might be it too..
Not to be insulting but it's called exercise. Or if you're really that lazy look up some landscapes or watch a video on landscapes, it's free.