Modern Music: Why I hate it

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Radio is how to make sure "everyone's happy; they're finally all the same, because everybody's jumping everybody else's train," as The Cure put it.

I think all attempts to be new have been throwing away aspects of the old. Can't hold a note? Fine. Don't try. Can't even hit a note? Fine. Don't try. Can't think of more than eight words? Fine. Don't try. Can't shut the **** up? Fine. Don't try. Can't play an instrument? Fine. Don't try. Can't come up with anything of your own? Fine. Don't try. Just "sample" something older and better, get the computer to play random beats and talk your fool head off and some bunch of tossers will buy it, or at least download it. Even if they don't, Sarah Cox'll probably play it thirty times a week.

There's something else about the modern (post-1980?) stuff that bothers a few people, including me. It's supposed to be a love song and it's CREEPY.

1982, the Human League: "You were nothing before I found you, *****, and you'd still be nothing without me. You ought to be grateful. Everything you've got, you owe to me. You don't dump me. You can't dump me. You take that back and show me how sorry you are like a good little whore or I will seriously **** you up." (Paraphrased slightly)

2009, some banshee: "I don't want it all the time. But when I get it, I better be satisfied. I don't want it all the time. But when I want it, you better make me smile." (Female singer, for what it's worth)

What are those meant to be, role models?

AntoninusPius

Jul 14, 2009
I listen to whatever I want, and I don't explain what I hate to anyone.

I'll tell you what I like: Django Reinhart's instrumentals. I can't say that gaming never did anything for me. Thanks for "La Mer," Bioshock.

hippykiller

Dec 28, 2008
AgentNein said:
hippykiller said:
AgentNein said:
hippykiller said:
yeah and what the fuck is up with white kids now a days? why do all kids want to be black?
Sorta racist statement there wouldn't you say? Got a problem with black people who try to 'act white' too? And last time I checked rock and roll was black music before the white kids got into it. In fact I think that was a big problem people had with rock and roll (aside from Evis's hips).
yeah sure there's black rockers but the huge fucking' majority is white. and no its not fucking racist. you know what one of my life modos is? "BE WHAT GOD MADE YOU!" if god made you white act white. if he made you black act black. not the other way around
First of all, not sure what a "moddo" is. Secondly, that's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I mean, did you even think about what you just said? Do you know how stupid it sounds?

I'm half Mexican. Does that mean I should start acting more Mexican? But only half?
well what do you look like? in a racist world if you want a job you have to act like a fucking grown man and like what your employer wants you to act like. what are you 1/2 white 1/2 Mexican? if you look white then act like it. if your employer doesn't know your 1/2 Hispanic than he's just going to think your just another little gay wod white boy who has no idea who he is.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
hippykiller said:
AgentNein said:
hippykiller said:
AgentNein said:
hippykiller said:
yeah and what the fuck is up with white kids now a days? why do all kids want to be black?
Sorta racist statement there wouldn't you say? Got a problem with black people who try to 'act white' too? And last time I checked rock and roll was black music before the white kids got into it. In fact I think that was a big problem people had with rock and roll (aside from Evis's hips).
yeah sure there's black rockers but the huge fucking' majority is white. and no its not fucking racist. you know what one of my life modos is? "BE WHAT GOD MADE YOU!" if god made you white act white. if he made you black act black. not the other way around
First of all, not sure what a "moddo" is. Secondly, that's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I mean, did you even think about what you just said? Do you know how stupid it sounds?

I'm half Mexican. Does that mean I should start acting more Mexican? But only half?
well what do you look like? in a racist world if you want a job you have to act like a fucking grown man and like what your employer wants you to act like. what are you 1/2 white 1/2 Mexican? if you look white then act like it. if your employer doesn't know your 1/2 Hispanic than he's just going to think your just another little gay wod white boy who has no idea who he is.
Thank you for your words of wisdom. Dear Abby: My roommates black, but he's into punk rock, grew up around white kids and plays guitar in my band with me. Should I tell him to start acting the color of his skin?

And also what is a 'wod'?

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Modern does not mean bad. You are culturally biased your self proving this when you say ALL forms of rap. There is good music and there is bad music. Every generation had its share of bad music. The pop/Techno/mainstream rap are the equivalent to the 70's disco. It is popular and makes people feel good. The only problem with the music nowadays is that you have to actually look for the good music. The reason that you hear all these people whom you seem to dislike quite a bit is because they are popular and they sell. Music is strictly business whatever sells they will play. If you want quality music look into the Indie or Underground Scenes.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
hippykiller said:
AgentNein said:
hippykiller said:
Be what God made you? Where in the teachings of religion does it decree how a person of a particular colour should act or dress? How can you even act a colour? Humans are blank when they are born, they have no affiliations or beliefs. People teach them the way to act based upon how they learned for generations and generations. A child born black or white makes no difference. There is no inherent way for anyone to act based only on colour. To say that one person can act like another's colour is just associating a group with a particular manner.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Modern music...well depends on your definition of modern. See most people say modern, but they mean new and mainstream. This combination= bad music. If you simply mean music that came out after the 90's...your partially right. Most of it, mainly the popular stuff does indeed suck. However I would like to remind you that there ARE other genres that are still producing good music...sadly, I don't think rock is one of them. Metal still has some good stuff coming out(not metal-core/nu-metal/other-shiit-named-similarly) but some. There is electronica, if you like that...I personally kindof enjoy it as backround gaming noise etc. And there is a pile of obscure genres that I don't listen to but undoubtedly produce new, origional, and good music.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Dr. FreeBird said:
Modern Music it SHIT because wtf rap is just shit because it guys talking no guitar no solo wtf and like bands that are so called rock (jonas brothers, panic at the disco and others) cant play guitar or bass for that matter to save their lifes back in the 60s to 90s Jimi Hendrix, Slash and Van Halen would have kicked their asses by playing twinkle twinkle little star then when they break out the REAL ROCK jonas bothers and such would die from the awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!
Hands down the most hi-larious post I've ever read.

I bet that in the 50s, this thread would be just as relevent. Jazz fans talking about how rock and roll is the decline of music. I have a feeling in 20 years we will be having this talk again.

The fact is music changes with culture and culture just changes.

I also challange anyone who says "Pop music nowadays is piss easy to make" to write a pop song. I mean, how hard could it be, all you need is a catchy melody and flawless production. Go for it =D

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
Finding new music and new bands I enjoy is often a difficult prospect. Generally, the opinions of others is a terrible benchmark for choosing new music. At one point, I was listening to the Dropkick Murphys - A punk band from Boston, when someone said "if you like DKM, you should listen to Coheed and Cambria". If I knew where that guy lived I'd mail him a box full of spiders.

Oddly enough, Amazon's suggestion system seems to work fairly well. It pointed me towards the Briggs and the Pogues, both of whom I thoroughly enjoy.
"If you like Murphys, you should listen to Coheed and Cambria" is idiot code for "I like C&C". The bands share little similarities from just about any standpoint you could consider. I do like me some Murphys, and I think C&C are interesting, but not necessarily my cup of tea. I'm a fan of Rush, Dream Theater, and other prog type stuff, but the singer of C&C just annoys me, and their music seems like it's trying REALLY hard to be EPIC(!) or something.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
JRCB said:
Okay, I know we're living in messed up times right now, but what's up with music? Have you noticed how we have moved away from some genres only to replace them with dance, rap, pop, or any mix of them? What happened to good music? Modern music doesn't have that "feel" when I listen to it. The moment any Lady Gaga or Jonas brothers or any form of rap comes onto the radio, I immediately switch to another station. Older music, like Led Zepplin, or even some '90s music comes on, I turn up the volume. What happened?
There is so much good music out there today, you just have to look a little harder.

-Joe

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I grew up in the 90's but my taste in music is about 3 decades behind that. Some of my favorite music includes:

The Moody Blues
The Beatles
Jimmy Buffett
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Johnny Cash
Don McLean
Solas
Tanglefoot
The Monkees
Cat Stevens
Billy Joel
The Alan Parsons Project
Dan Fogelberg

I could go on, but I think you get the point

hippykiller

Dec 28, 2008
martin said:
hippykiller said:
AgentNein said:
hippykiller said:
Be what God made you? Where in the teachings of religion does it decree how a person of a particular colour should act or dress? How can you even act a colour? Humans are blank when they are born, they have no affiliations or beliefs. People teach them the way to act based upon how they learned for generations and generations. A child born black or white makes no difference. There is no inherent way for anyone to act based only on colour. To say that one person can act like another's colour is just associating a group with a particular manner.
you know what? im very tired right now and i have no engry at all to be typing so lets just say you win in this little argument of ours. what do you say?

Sep 17, 2009
Marbas said:
It's noise.

And here's the thing about noise:

Anyone can make noise.
Actually you would be wrong. Veryvery wrong.

Amazingly wrong. The subculture actually has a particular set of merits it judges tracks and Noise on. You begin to develop an ear for it, you learn what to listen for. There's a reason say, Aaron Dilloway's solo work is considered better than Wolf Eyes output, or why most of Wolf Eye's output aside from their well polished studio tracks are utter tosh.
I agree, noise rock is something special that only few can do right.

Listen to Lightning Bolt!

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
I like my foreign metal - Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish that sort of stuff. Especially if it's got female singers (Nightwish, Epica) but not necessarily (Children of Bodom etc).

I like a lot of "Darkwave" - that's goth industrial music (Rammstein, Blutengel, Combi-Christ), it's mostly Germans - and other techno/rock like Beastie Boys.

I like a lot of "club music" - not one "aspect" (like Euphoria) but most dance tracks in general.

I like random music. That "handy-man" song from the first page is pretty terrifying, but this video is so weird it's actually pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrk_cEmNnPc

The concept of "modern music" is hard to complain about. It sounds like you dislike "modern pop", but I'm sure there are modern bands in other genres that you like (perhaps you just dislike pop in general)?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
They've had this problem since forever, people hearing music they don't like everywhere and then thinking that only the old stuff is good.

Besides, we've got Rammstein, Serj Tankian and Mindless Self Indulgence... I think modern music will live.

recalcitrance

May 22, 2008
This is a silly discussion! Music is subjective, there is no empirically good music so any big universal evaluation is moot!

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
That's an absolutely massive brush you're using there. You can't just listen to the radio and then say all modern music is shit.

Racistman3d

Jul 6, 2009
Wow OP, maybe if you opened your eyes you would realize that modern music isn't just the crap that is played on the radio, and that there is genuinely good new music coming out at just about the same rate as any other time, you just need to search more for it.

Matt8745

Sep 16, 2009
All you need to be a successful musician these days are the looks and a computer for voice editing. Take a look at Rihanna.