Modern Warfare 2 PC Pricier Than Expected

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Just when we think games are all about fun and ... games, something comes along to remind us that they are a business, after all: Modern Warfare 2 for the PC will be priced slightly higher in line with the current console pricing structure.

$59.99 is now the normal price for console games, but those that prefer a computer have thus far have been lucky enough to avoid a similar rise in price on PC titles. While this is perhaps done as some sort of incentive to encourage PC gamers to keep supporting the platform, it may not last for too much longer.

Modern Warfare 2 will buck the trend and be priced at a full $59.99 according to retail outlets like Best Buy and Amazon. It does not appear to be isolated to just one retailer, as is the case with the Wii MotionPlus and other accessories being priced $5 higher at GameStop [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696597/GameStop-Customer-Service-Rep-Apologies-For-MotionPlus-Price-GougingSort-Of.html].

Sure, Modern Warfare 2 is predicted to be one of the biggest selling titles of all time, so this isn't necessarily going to spread throughout the rest of the new release section. The desire to profit just a tad more (or 20% more) is an infectious disease that is easily caught, however.

[Source: IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1015622p1.html]]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?

People shouldn't give a nickle to these assholes. Sad is that it's going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Activision will keep pulling shit like this.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I really don't see why PC games are cheaper anyway, considering they get mod tools and more updates than console players...

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
id say torrent time, but they will just pull out of PC altogether, they dont care...

pre owned time for everyone it seems!..but then whos gonna buy it new...idiots probably, yay for idiots! and boo for idiots...

TheCameraman

Jun 8, 2009
Ah well, it's only Modern Warfare. Wasn't going to buy it anyway, so I'm indifferent.

And I didn't like activision anyway. >_>

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oy vey voy.

The sad part is, only the minority of video game geeks (I.E. us) will care enough to not buy it.

Activision is pissing me off...

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
oliveira8 said:
No no, the game doesn't cost more, now it costs the same at it's console counter-parts, whereas before it was cheaper on PC. Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?

The AI

Jun 24, 2009
I think the word "FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-" just about sums it up. D:<

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
I'll be interested to see how much piracy this game gets hit with. Activision is testing the waters right now for higher prices across the board. If this game sells well, expect to see higher prices on ALL of their upcoming titles.

Baby Tea said:
No no, the game doesn't cost more, now it costs the same at it's console counter-parts, whereas before it was cheaper on PC. Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
Well it has been that way for a couple of years now, so obviously for some reason the PC version is cheaper somewhere along the line. If it really cost them the same amount of money to make the PC version as the console version, then there never would have been a difference in price. Activision just sees a way to increase their profit margin, its as simple as that.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
I will laugh if this game turns out to be a complete flop. In fact, I think I'll laugh so much I won't be standing up a few days.

Not that it's going to happen, but at least I can hope.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
Essentially because they don't have to pay any of the revenue to a specific console maker. A large portion of game profit always goes to Sony, or nintendo, or microsoft. But that's not needed for a PC game.

So They will be making more off it than the console version, even if we don't pay more.

But then, this could make PC game prices soar. I honestly hope now that MW2 gets piss poor OC sales.

Daezd

Mar 1, 2008
KSarty said:
I'll be interested to see how much piracy this game gets hit with. Activision is testing the waters right now for higher prices across the board. If this game sells well, expect to see higher prices on ALL of their upcoming titles.
And what's worse? More developers will begin doing the same.

I really do want to see how hard they get hit with piracy though, if only because it will send them a message. But that message will surely be soon forgotten when they see their console numbers.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Baby Tea said:
Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
Essentially because they don't have to pay any of the revenue to a specific console maker. A large portion of game profit always goes to Sony, or nintendo, or microsoft. But that's not needed for a PC game.

So They will be making more off it than the console version, even if we don't pay more.

But then, this could make PC game prices soar. I honestly hope now that MW2 gets piss poor OC sales.
I still say that makes it fair.
Now the prices are even across the board. The fact that they may get more money from it doesn't deter from the fact that console owners have been paying more for games. Now it's even, which is only fair for everyone.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Why should PC gamers get games for 10 dollars cheaper than their console counterparts? It's not like the content of the game is different on the PC: in fact, the argument can be made that PC games are worth MORE due to modding tools.

Of course, many will use this as an attempt to justify pirating a copy instead of paying the extra ten bones for it. I would say that these people have holes in their heads, as this justifies the spread of DRM.

Rigs83

Feb 10, 2009
Tom Goldman said:

Just when we think games are all about fun and ... games, something comes along to remind us that they are a business, after all: Modern Warfare 2 for the PC will be priced slightly higher in line with the current console pricing structure.

$59.99 is now the normal price for console games, but those that prefer a computer have thus far have been lucky enough to avoid a similar rise in price on PC titles. While this is perhaps done as some sort of incentive to encourage PC gamers to keep supporting the platform, it may not last for too much longer.

Modern Warfare 2 will buck the trend and be priced at a full $59.99 according to retail outlets like Best Buy and Amazon. It does not appear to be isolated to just one retailer, as is the case with the Wii MotionPlus and other accessories being priced $5 higher at GameStop [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696597/GameStop-Customer-Service-Rep-Apologies-For-MotionPlus-Price-GougingSort-Of.html].

Sure, Modern Warfare 2 is predicted to be one of the biggest selling titles of all time, so this isn't necessarily going to spread throughout the rest of the new release section. The desire to profit just a tad more (or 20% more) is an infectious disease that is easily caught, however.

[Source: IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1015622p1.html]]

I guess Activision just hates you.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
scotth266 said:
Why should PC gamers get games for 10 dollars cheaper than their console counterparts? It's not like the content of the game is different on the PC: in fact, the argument can be made that PC games are worth MORE due to modding tools.

Of course, many will use this as an attempt to justify pirating a copy instead of paying the extra ten bones for it. I would say that these people have holes in their heads, as this justifies the spread of DRM.
As explained earlier in this thread, it costs more to release games on consoles rather than PC because part of the profits go to the console manufacturer. PC developers don't have that problem, so the price didn't go up.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Jumplion said:
Oy vey voy.

The sad part is, only the minority of video game geeks (I.E. us) will care enough to not buy it.

Activision is pissing me off...
Activision has been pissing me off since before you were born... *grumbles*

Seriously though, you are right. And I will not buy the game. It's a sequel too, another reason not to buy it...

The only sequels I've ever bought, while having bought the first game, are Jak 2 & 3... And Final Fantasy X-2, but that game was so vastly different from Final Fantasy X; I don't really consider it a sequel.

MasterStratus

Oct 19, 2008
Boo-fucking-hoo, now you have to pay the same price as everyone else.
I can tell that piracy for this game is going to skyrocket, because of people who complain about shit like this.
"Oh no, an extra ten dollars!
Now I have to go pirate it, and it's all Activision's fault!"
Man the fuck up.
Honestly.
All they're doing is making the prices even.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
KSarty said:
As explained earlier in this thread, it costs more to release games on consoles rather than PC because part of the profits go to the console manufacturer. PC developers don't have that problem, so the price didn't go up.
And PC games, as I have stated, have features that allow them to rise above their console counterparts. At least you now know that the 10$ extra is going to the developer of the game rather than to the console owners.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Maybe $60 for you. In Poland all our games are 250 PLN, that's about $70. So welcome to our world, where prices are higher than you'd want them to be.

Razman

Sep 11, 2008
so......same (too) short campaign length as cod4(if my sources are still correct),no PC CE's AND 10 euro's up in price (US readers; they tend to swap the word 'dollars' with 'euro's' around here, which in effect occasionally means we're actually paying more anyway) .....that's gonna be a second hand purchase then. Also w/r the whole 'why are PC titles 10 euro's cheaper' debate, I tend to turn it around: I never did understand why xbox/ps titles had to be 10 - 15 euro's more expensive...then again I've seen worse nitpicking, like the fact that 360's version of Alone in the dark is actually 1 full euro more expensive than the pc version at my local mediamarkt....and seeing that game did so well that I managed to get my hands on the pc AITD CE for 10 euro's there, THATS nitpicking:p

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
And PC games, as I have stated, have features that allow them to rise above their console counterparts. At least you now know that the 10$ extra is going to the developer of the game rather than to the console owners.
But those features are rarely released with the game except maybe the map editor, they don't come packaged with the game files themselves. Often times it takes several months for the mod tools to be released. Those extra features you refer to don't come on the disc, so why is the cost of the disc going up? That is like charging extra for the initial game because there will be some dlc for it eventually that most people won't even use.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
D_987 said:
I really don't see why PC games are cheaper anyway, considering they get mod tools and more updates than console players...
I completely agree. With fps especially i tend to go the PC route, and with all the perks like better gfx, online, a mouse and keyboard, mods etc etc..the rare pc games i buy i always look at as a bargain.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Well I wasn't gonna buy it anyway (well, I may consider getting the first one used), I just hope this trend doesn't spread.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
KSarty said:
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
But those features are rarely released with the game except maybe the map editor, they don't come packaged with the game files themselves. Often times it takes several months for the mod tools to be released. Those extra features you refer to don't come on the disc, so why is the cost of the disc going up? That is like charging extra for the initial game because there will be some dlc for it eventually that most people won't even use.
I'm sure people would complain if they made you pay for the mod tools when those were released.

Look at it this way, you're just paying for these items in advance. 10$ is not that big of a deal for one person.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
£35! Sterling! What a joke. I never pay more than £25. Looks like that game is getting crossed off my "to buy" list. I hope Activision don't sell any at all on the PC.

In saying this it is perfectly within Activision's right to sell the game for whatever price they want. As a consumer it is perfectly in my right not to buy it and spend my money elsewhere. Which is what I shall be doing. Dragon Age. Mass Effect 2. Brutal Legend. Who needs Modern Warefare?

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
But those features are rarely released with the game except maybe the map editor, they don't come packaged with the game files themselves. Often times it takes several months for the mod tools to be released. Those extra features you refer to don't come on the disc, so why is the cost of the disc going up?
I'm sure people would complain if they made you pay for the mod tools when those were released.

Look at it this way, you're just paying for these items in advance. 10$ is not that big of a deal for one person.
Except that probably 90% of the user base for PC games never touch the mod tools, so it is still a ripoff. Like I said, it is like charging for dlc in advance even though most people won't bother with the dlc.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
It's almost like Activision don't want to sell it.
It's almost like Activision understands the fundamentals of supply and demand.

Personally I won't buy it at that price, but I know that enough people will that its likly to cause a ripple effect into other PC releases.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I know I want to say "Screw Activision", and "I'm not buying this until you drop the Price", but I will end up buying it anyway, as I didn't get enough out of CoD4 short but fun single player. And Special Ops better have enough maps to keep my little shooter finger happy.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
No it's nto fair. Console games cost more because a small part of the costs goes to the console maker. That's why it costs more 10 euros/dollars/diamonds/whatever.

Theres is no money for Microsoft/Mac/whatever, so there's no need to up the price. Days after you going to get a news about how MW2 piracy on the PC is going crazy.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
KSarty said:
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
But those features are rarely released with the game except maybe the map editor, they don't come packaged with the game files themselves. Often times it takes several months for the mod tools to be released. Those extra features you refer to don't come on the disc, so why is the cost of the disc going up?

Except that probably 90% of the user base for PC games never touch the mod tools, so it is still a ripoff. Like I said, it is like charging for dlc in advance even though most people won't bother with the dlc.
Then just wait for the price to drop if it's that big of a deal. I can't believe everyone is complaining about a 10$ price increase.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Days after you going to get a news about how MW2 piracy on the PC is going crazy.
Which is stupid. Pirating the game just makes you a selfish and greedy asshole and that's what Activision will think. If you wait for the price to drop then that will send a bigger message to Activision.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
it is only 10 dollars , and if this is what is necessary for the industry to make a profit, fine. But nobody actually likes paying more money, and we undoubtedly will see this again soon (starcraft 2?)

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:

Then just wait for the price to drop if it's that big of a deal. I can't believe everyone is complaining about a 10$ price increase.
It is an unwarranted $10 increase, they have no justification for it and I would be willing to bet my life on that. I'm not even that interested in the game, I'm just worried that it will still sell like mad and every other developer/publisher in the industry will jack up their own prices accordingly.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I'm likely only going to GF this anyways, especially if MP is the same as it was in the first one. Having a 4-year old PC somewhat discourages me from getting newer PC releases anyways, but it is rather strange that PC games are $10 cheaper typically. On the flip side though, you can't "rent" PC games and often you can't trade them in or resell them, not to mention more work is involved in getting the things just to run (updated hardware/drivers, etc.) I guess for $10 more you pay for added rights with the software and more assurance that the software will run at a desired level.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
KSarty said:
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:

It is an unwarranted $10 increase, they have no justification for it and I would be willing to bet my life on that. I'm not even that interested in the game, I'm just worried that it will still sell like mad and every other developer/publisher in the industry will jack up their own prices accordingly.
If the game sells like mad then that will tell game developers that they think good games are worth the price increase. So they probably will increase their prices accordingly.

And I wouldn't have a problem with that.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Well it is official, I will not be buying MW2 on day one. Instead I will buy either a copy down the road when it drops in price. Or I will buy a used game so Activision doesn't get one cent from me. So instead of every one pirating and shit, just wait a month and buy a used copy. Activision gets no money from used game sales.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
not a zaar said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
It's almost like Activision understands the fundamentals of supply and demand.

Personally I won't buy it at that price, but I know that enough people will that its likly to cause a ripple effect into other PC releases.
Well I'm aware that it won't put that many people off, it will still put enough people off. Combined with the fact that they've jacked the price up in the UK as well, they're gonna lose enough sales to make most other publishers cringe.

At least they've now confirmed their status as 'the new EA'.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
*sigh* I guess I will only buy it for my sexbox then
Oh well
Sorry Timmy, guess you will be working in the acid mines for my games this year

EDIT: I don't suppose anyone knows the requirements for MW2?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
oliveira8 said:
Days after you going to get a news about how MW2 piracy on the PC is going crazy.
Which is stupid. Pirating the game just makes you a selfish and greedy asshole and that's what Activision will think. If you wait for the price to drop then that will send a bigger message to Activision.
Then there's no need for a price hike in the first place! It's just plain greed. No prestige Edition for PC, the game will cost more in the UK and now the PC version will be more expensive than regular PC games.

Denied.

Tom Goldman said:
it is only 10 dollars , and if this is what is necessary for the industry to make a profit, fine. But nobody actually likes paying more money, and we undoubtedly will see this again soon (starcraft 2?)
No matter how much Blizzard fan I'am raising the price of SC2 or even Diablo 3 is a trip to no buying.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Baby Tea said:
Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
No it's nto fair. Console games cost more because a small part of the costs goes to the console maker. That's why it costs more 10 euros/dollars/diamonds/whatever.
So what? If the price is the same for everyone, then it's fair. The fact that Activision will make a bit more money with the PC version doesn't change the fact that, now, everyone is paying the same price for the same game, when before they weren't (Which, incidentally, isn't fair).

Yeah, it's fair.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Angron said:
pre owned time for everyone it seems!..but then whos gonna buy it new...idiots probably, yay for idiots! and boo for idiots...
You know that Activision will slap a DRM on the game and we won't even be able to do that. :(

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
If the game sells like mad then that will tell game developers that they think good games are worth the price increase. So they probably will increase their prices accordingly.

Your logic is flawed because you are expecting the price to increase only for the "good" games. The price goes up, quality stays the same.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Internet Kraken said:
oliveira8 said:
Then there's no need for a price hike in the first place! It's just plain greed. No prestige Edition for PC, the game will cost more in the UK and now the PC version will be more expensive than regular PC games.

Denied.
Okay, but that still doesn't justify piracy. Instead, you should just be patient and wait for the price to drop. Unless you have some need to play the game the second it's released, and if that's the case then you should just suck it up and pay for the game.

KSarty said:
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:

Your logic is flawed because you are expecting the price to increase only for the "good" games. The price goes up, quality stays the same.
If people are bitching about paying 10 extra dollars for a quality game, then I doubt they would even consider paying 10 extra dollars for a crappy game. Developers would not get away with charging more for a pile of shit.

But even if they did, so what? They could charge 500$ for their games and I wouldn't care because I don't play crappy games. And if for some reason I did want to, I would just wait for the price to drop to what I think is a fair price.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Doesn't really have any effect on my choice. If it's worthwhile, I'll shell out the $60. Been doing that for my 360 fix for a long time now.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
I won't be buying it because I don't particularly enjoy Call of Duty, but this is yet another step in Activision's continued upward pressure on game price models. They'll push the prices as high as they are able across platforms until they stop seeing their profit go up. Which will lead to other game developers increasing their prices across platforms to match Activision's. So when you're paying 70 USD two years from now for all your console titles, remember you supported the PC price hike.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
Baby Tea said:
So what? If the price is the same for everyone, then it's fair. The fact that Activision will make a bit more money with the PC version doesn't change the fact that, now, everyone is paying the same price for the same game, when before they weren't (Which, incidentally, isn't fair).

Yeah, it's fair.
Oh no it was fair.

You buy a game for your PS3/360 and the game will work with no questions added. I buy a PC game and depending on your PC you will have to:
1) Buy new hardware
2) Get new software
3) Suffer intrusive DRM
4) Your DRM doesn't like your new hardware/software so you back to point 1 and 2.

If you lucky you will be able to play a recent game with no problems. So yeah. Not fair. At all.

The platforms have nothing to do with each other and should be treated seperatly. One is a toy and the other is a machine designed for work which comes with a toy section.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
Okay, but that still doesn't justify piracy. Instead, you should just be patient and wait for the price to drop. Unless you have some need to play the game the second it's released, and if that's the case then you should just suck it up and pay for the game.
First of all, I want to say that I completely agree with the notion that Piracy is NOT the way to go. In fact, I believe it's the worst way to go in these situations, all it does is control the company out of fear at best or just reinforces the notion of stricter DRM policies at worst.

However, secondly, why can't we make some noise about this? When did people start defending the company for making money, they're big boys, especially Activision-Blizzard, they probably make enough money to buy Belgium and a hooker for every cubicle. What ever happened to "we're their customer, we shouldn't stand for this!" and the like?

Sure, we could wait for a minimal price drop in the next 3 years, but that does nothing. It tells Activision nothing other than another sale at 5% less cost. Boycotts, petitions, and whatnot however do send a message, and they are a much more legitimate way to express concern and whatever. I'm not suggesting a boycott or whatever, I personally don't care, but it's definitely better than "sucking it up" and being the company's whore. I don't think any of us want games to cost half of the console we buy when two of them is sufficient enough.

Still, it sadly doesn't change the fact that this game will probably be pirated to the moon, down to hell, up almost to heaven, and crash down to the bottom of the ocean. PC Gamers tend to be a demanding bunch...

EDIT: And reading some more of your posts, how do you know that one game is going to be shitty and one isn't? Once again, you're assuming that Modern Warfare 2 is going to be completely worth the price when for all we know it could be crappier than ever. Companies aren't going to think "Oh, are we making a crappy game so therefore price it less? Or a great game to price it more?", there's no way to tell if a game is going to be "good" before it gets out to the public.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Jumplion said:
Internet Kraken said:
First of all, I want to say that I completely agree with the notion that Piracy is NOT the way to go. In fact, I believe it's the worst way to go in these situations, all it does is control the company out of fear at best or just reinforces the notion of stricter DRM policies at worst.

However, secondly, why can't we make some noise about this? When did people start defending the company for making money, they're big boys, especially Activision-Blizzard, they probably make enough money to buy Belgium and a hooker for every cubicle. What ever happened to "we're their customer, we shouldn't stand for this!" and the like?

Sure, we could wait for a minimal price drop in the next 3 years, but that does nothing. It tells Activision nothing other than another sale at 5% less cost. Boycotts, petitions, and whatnot however do send a message, and they are a much more legitimate way to express concern and whatever. I'm not suggesting a boycott or whatever, I personally don't care, but it's definitely better than "sucking it up" and being the company's whore. I don't think any of us want games to cost half of the console we buy when two of them is sufficient enough.

Still, it sadly doesn't change the fact that this game will probably be pirated to the moon, down to hell, up almost to heaven, and crash down to the bottom of the ocean. PC Gamers tend to be a demanding bunch...
Then make a boycott, petition, or whatever you think will work. I honestly don't care, but maybe Activision will.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
Blasted well straight.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
To be honest I was very much interested in the game until Bobby boy went on an asshole spree. I think i'll pass, I'm not a die hard fan of the series and it's not something I'm going to miss.

On second thought I'll just buy it used from gamestop because I currently hate them less.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Oh no it was fair.

You buy a game for your PS3/360 and the game will work with no questions added. I buy a PC game and depending on your PC you will have to:
1) Buy new hardware
2) Get new software
3) Suffer intrusive DRM
4) Your DRM doesn't like your new hardware/software so you back to point 1 and 2.

If you lucky you will be able to play a recent game with no problems. So yeah. Not fair. At all.

The platforms have nothing to do with each other and should be treated seperatly. One is a toy and the other is a machine designed for work which comes with a toy section.
Save your PC elitism bullshit for someone who agrees with you.

All of those things have nothing to do with the fact that the game is the exact same game.
If you have a computer that can't run it, that's not the fault of publisher or developer.
Neither is you not having the right drivers or Direct X version (What I'm assuming you meant by 'software').

Plus PC games are mod-able, while console games aren't, so there is a huge perk that console owners don't get.

No no, paying the same price across the board is completely fair.
What the machine is use for primarily doesn't matter. We aren't talking about the machine, we're talking about the game and it's content, which is identical for all systems and platforms. Same price is fair. Get over it.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Eagle Est1986 said:
On the contrary, people are going to buy it anyway, and Activision knows it.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
When the customers starting whining at every opportunity over ridiculous things, THAT'S when that died.

Not to say that some of the complaints the customers make aren't legitimate: for instance, see the complaints that have popped up when Blizzard announced StarCraft II will not have LAN. That resulted in justified outrage from the majority of the community here.

But to be honest, there's no reason to be outraged at prices raising in the games market, because you CAN WAIT for the price to drop. It's not like these games are a limited-time offer after all: the only reason to ***** about how high the price is initially is because you CAN'T WAIT to play the game.

If you're going to get outraged by the way Activision does business, that means that all MMOs should draw your ridicule too: because they're the worst money-grubbing tactic in the world of gaming. There's no real justification for a 15$ a month subscription fee when games like Guild Wars have proven you can make one without a fee.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
I'd say pirate scum would have there hands all over this... but its activision, with there "premier" release. So I can only assume they will have paid god to smite all pirates. Or since its activision. The devil.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I was on the fence about buying the game, and this just pushed over to the "not buying the game side". Oh well...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
scotth266 said:
But to be honest, there's no reason to be outraged at prices raising in the games market, because you CAN WAIT for the price to drop. It's not like these games are a limited-time offer after all: the only reason to ***** about how high the price is initially is because you CAN'T WAIT to play the game.
That's a problem though, as I can still find, I dunno, Heavenly Sword for $50 used after 3 years. Unless of course you use the internet on your PC, but then again, you can see the irony in there...

If you're going to get outraged by the way Activision does business, that means that all MMOs should draw your ridicule too: because they're the worst money-grubbing tactic in the world of gaming. There's no real justification for a 15$ a month subscription fee when games like Guild Wars have proven you can make one without a fee.
Quite true, you're completely right and we probably should. Though from what I know, Guild Wars has a "premium" pay-for-cool-stuff thing, don't they? Even the free MMOs need to make money one way or another, but at least those free MMOs don't force you to pay. But, eh, what evs.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
The fact that people are actually jumping to the defence of ActiSatan on this one is just shocking. Them telling you a price hike is fine, and you actually biting on that is the reason they are taking everyone for a ride. Oh well, I'm still buying this pre-owned. That's basically piracy with a legitimate copy.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
Baby Tea said:

Yeah, it's fair.
I agree that it's fair. Mostly because I plan to come out with a console of my own in a few years and it will cost game developers a lot more money to produce games for it. Half of that cost will be because of my system itself and the other half will be the fact that I plan to charge exorbitant fees to the developers. The cost to those consumers will have to be in the neighborhood of $300.00 to make make it profitable. That means the cost to ALL other consumers will have to be increased to $300.00 in the interest of "fairness."

w00t!!!111 Misery loves company...and that fills my pockets!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
The fact that people are actually jumping to the defence of ActiSatan on this one is just shocking. Them telling you a price hike is fine, and you actually biting on that is the reason they are taking everyone for a ride. Oh well, I'm still buying this pre-owned. That's basically piracy with a legitimate copy.
God forbid they run a business right?

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
I propose a boycott! On all games priced $59.99 ... after everyone buys MW2 that is.
How about after AC2? It's only a week later for the revolution to begin.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
kawligia said:
Baby Tea said:

Yeah, it's fair.
I agree that it's fair. Mostly because I plan to come out with a console of my own in a few years and it will cost game developers a lot more money to produce games for it. The cost to consumers will have to be in the neighborhood of $300.00 to make up for it. That means the cost to ALL other consumers will have to be increased to $300.00 in the interest of "fairness."

w00t!!!111
Nice try.
Both the PS3 and the 360 are established consoles, both with a massive fanbase.
The two of them together make up the majority of people who will buy this game.
It costs $59.99 on them? It costs $59.99 for everyone.

The PC crowd doesn't 'deserve' a lower price. They're just pissed that the joyride is over.
And they can get over it.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:

This is true, but there is a catch to it.

PC games require a LOT more compatibility testing. If you make a 360 title, you just need some 360 debug and retail kits to do bug testing on, but with PC, you need a farm of computers running various different hardware loadouts. This ends up costing a LOT of money, and with the rate of tech advancement, you have to keep sinking money into it whereas an xbox will always be an xbox. Honestly, I'm not surprised the price has gone up. Do I think this is the reason: no. I know good and well it is because they want to increase their profit margin, but there are expenses that only relate to PC just like there are console only expenses as well.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
newguy77 said:
NeedAUserName said:
I propose a boycott! On all games priced $59.99 ... after everyone buys MW2 that is.
But then theres Brutal Legend, Borderlands, RAGE, and so many more... how about just January 1st 2011, so no games have been announced.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Xombee said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
God forbid they run a business right?
You've got the right idea. :D

I'm not trying to say price hiking is bad business when the demand is high, I just don't expect consumers to be agreeing with this when they are the ones buying the game. No one should be talking about this from a business perspective, because from that perspective it's genius. But from a consumer perspective? No, you shouldn't be trying to defend them at all.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Look here. [http://www.cdwow.ie/games/PC-Game/CALL-OF-DUTY-MODERN-WARFARE-2/product/view/9838937]

Apr 28, 2008
Fuck Activision, I am not buying this game for the PC now.

And I'm not pissed because I have to pay $60 for a PC game, I'm pissed because I have to give $10 more dollars to Activision.

Smack-Ferret

Jul 14, 2009
Yay for purchasing on my fat old PS3! Woohoo!

But on a serious note Activision is really being a greedy ass.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Baby Tea said:
kawligia said:
Baby Tea said:

Yeah, it's fair.
I agree that it's fair. Mostly because I plan to come out with a console of my own in a few years and it will cost game developers a lot more money to produce games for it. The cost to consumers will have to be in the neighborhood of $300.00 to make up for it. That means the cost to ALL other consumers will have to be increased to $300.00 in the interest of "fairness."

w00t!!!111
Nice try.

The PC crowd doesn't 'deserve' a lower price. They're just pissed that the joyride is over.
You seem to have neglected the point of the post.

In case you missed it, the point is your "misery loves company" or "eye for an eye" approach to marketing is NOT fair to anyone but YOU. Everyone should pay the costs of production for thier product and the same profit markup. That's fair even when the end number is not identical.

If you want to play on a platform that is more expensive, then the productions costs go up and your end price goes up as a result. It's fair because everyone is playing by the SAME RULES of the SAME GAME even though the score is different.

Your system REQUIRES an inherent degree of unfairness because we are given a different formula for price calculation than you. You want to pay costs + markup and us to pay costs + increased markup. That is NOT fair.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Hopefully this isn't the start of a trend. The cheaper pricing for PC games is usually 1 of my biggest reasons to go for the PC version of a game (if my PC can handle it, but if that's gone it's highly unlikely that I'll buy a lot of PC games in the future.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Baby Tea said:
scotth266 said:
Theres this thing called principles you see. And people with them, don't like people like Activision walk right through them.

Price rising, removing of LAN, working on sequels one year later, theres always a reason.

Aparantly console players have no principles cause last time I saw most PS3/360 games here were priced under 74 euros. Thats 100 american dollares! 74 Euros is a shitload of money. I can eat lunch and dinner in a resturante all week with 74 Euros. I can go to the cinema every day for a week with 74 euros.

There is a good reason why I don't play console games. The prices come right from Satan's ass.
I don't have my parents to buy me games, or a paycheck with seven 0's to the right. And there is many good reasons why PC games are cheaper.

1) The machine to run costs twice as much a console.
2) There is no extra cost to the PC manufacter cause there isn't one. There's no Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft.
3) There's piracy unchecked and running wild. You would think that making games cheaper you would cut down on some piracy.

Letting prices go up is never a good thing, no matter what it is. A game, a movie ticket, bread, whatever it's never a good thing. And if you let them do it, you deserved to pay more.

So when you say that the game will cheaper in years, you letting them get away with it, and when it gets cheaper, it's still 10 more than it should be.

@scotth266: Obvious you never played a MMO for long or compared Guild Wars with World of Warcraft. The difference is that with a subscription fee you paying for maintenance of the servers, costumer support and more content. The content that WoW got through patches is the equivelant of two Guild War's expansions(Which is the way that GW adds more content. They add stuff through patches too, but never in the size of a WoW patch.)

So pirate, boycott, don't buy or trow rocks at Kotick's car whatever you do. Don't support the rising of prices.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
kawligia said:
In case you missed it, the point is your "misery loves company" or "eye for an eye" approach to marketing is NOT fair to anyone but YOU. Everyone should pay the costs of production for thier product and the same profit markup. That's fair even when the end number is not identical.

If you want to play on a platform that is more expensive, then the productions costs go up and your end price goes up as a result. It's fair because everyone is playing by the SAME RULES of the SAME GAME even though the score is different.

Your system REQUIRES an inherent degree of unfairness because we are given a different formula for price calculation than you. You want to pay costs + markup and us to pay costs + increased markup. That is NOT fair.
Well then how about all the patching required for PC games? All the testing on difference machines with different cards to accommodate the myriad of combinations for PCs? How about the tech support staff that have to be there to listen to the PC gamers calling and emailing and posting their problems because they have a slightly different set up than the guy before them?

Naah, I'd say cost is pretty much even across the board.
It's fair.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
An impossible solution is that every single gamer in the world doesn't buy MW2, let's see how FAST the price drops THEN! Working together, tried and true method. Sadly no-one uses it anymore.

TheJuqhusim

May 20, 2009
I just read this article after reading this whole thing. Check it out.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35485/US-Modern-Warfare-2-gets-PC-rice-hike

Got a Wal-Mart near you? I think everything will be fine. :)

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
Quite true, you're completely right and we probably should. Though from what I know, Guild Wars has a "premium" pay-for-cool-stuff thing, don't they? Even the free MMOs need to make money one way or another, but at least those free MMOs don't force you to pay. But, eh, what evs.
I believe what GW does is micro-transactions: you can get extra goodies for money, but they're not really required to enjoy the game/be good at it. It's more like paying for things such as renaming, server transfers, and the like: things normal MMOs also charge you for.

As far as Heavenly Sword goes, that's the exception, not the rule. It's only when games get older that they tend to get that high/higher in price due to rarity (see: ICO. I mean, goddamn...)

I can't help but side with Baby Tea on this one: the PC gamers are just ticked that they're being brought into the pricing scheme that the rest of the industry has been following for quite some time now. And I've been playing NOTHING but games on my PC for the last three months solid, so if anyone should be willing to ***** about this, it should be me.

People are reacting as if they demand INSTANT GRATIFICATION, as if the industry should price things like THEY WANT IT, not as the laws of business demand. And the laws of business demand that you attempt to make profit whenever reasonable. This is reasonable.

If you want the game at a lower price, wait. I have had enough patience to wait until whole CONSOLE GENERATIONS have passed to get the games involved: other people can suck it up and wait a month for the price to drop ten dollars/euros/insert currency here.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Yaaarrr! Me other mateys will probably steal thy booty. (I don't support them).

Although, I'm not very interested in Modern warfare anyway.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Baby Tea said:
kawligia said:

Well then how about all the patching required for PC games? All the testing on difference machines with different cards to accommodate the myriad of combinations for PCs? How about the tech support staff that have to be there to listen to the PC gamers calling and emailing and posting their problems because they have a slightly different set up than the guy before them?

It's fair.
If cost was even across the board, then there never would have been a difference in the prices to begin with.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Oh well, shit happens. I'm getting it for the PS3 though, I want Call of Duty 1.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
So much gasping over $10? Hell I am a PC gamer and if Activision can deliver on making this game great then I'll gladly pay $60. It's not that big of a deal and I don't get why its causing a small commotion.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
newguy77 said:
NeedAUserName said:
But then theres Brutal Legend, Borderlands, RAGE, and so many more... how about just January 1st 2011, so no games have been announced.
How about this... unless there are any totally awesome games that we want, we don't buy any video games and we convince others to do the same?

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Baby Tea said:
kawligia said:

It's fair.
The problem is, we KNOW that's not true. The REASON for the original price difference is increased production costs.

The fact that production costs on PC are STILL less than consoles AFTER all the stuff you mentioned should tell you something.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
@scotth266: Obvious you never played a MMO for long or compared Guild Wars with World of Warcraft. The difference is that with a subscription fee you paying for maintenance of the servers, costumer support and more content. The content that WoW got through patches is the equivelant of two Guild War's expansions(Which is the way that GW adds more content. They add stuff through patches too, but never in the size of a WoW patch.)

So pirate, boycott, don't buy or trow rocks at Kotick's car whatever you do. Don't support the rising of prices.
Your argument holds no truck for one reason and one reason alone: the number of purchases involved. WoW has a RIDICULOUS number of people who have bought the game, LET ALONE the subscription fees involved. Guild Wars? I doubt they have half that.

Also, if people are willing to pay 70-something Euros for games, that's what the companies will price the games at. Companies operate on the basis of attaining profits: the highest price they can make, with people still buying their product, is the price they will set. Like I've said before: the only solution is to wait for the prices of stuff to drop.

Making the games cheap doesn't cut piracy, by the way. If nothing else did, World of Goo proved that. The game's only 20 bones, and it had a 90% piracy rate a while back. So much for the line of thought that good pricing = less piracy.

Sep 9, 2007
kawligia said:
Baby Tea said:
kawligia said:

It's fair.
The problem is, we KNOW that's not true. The REASON for the original price difference is increased production costs.

The fact that production costs on PC are STILL less than consoles AFTER all the stuff you mentioned should tell you something.
While knowing is half the battle, I highly doubt that will stop any of the bleating.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Just don't buy the game right when it comes out, and wait for a price drop if you are really shitting your pants over the price hike. I don't like it, but I haven't bought a new game the month it came out in over 2 years. It's just a waste of money to buy a game when it comes out. You will still be getting the same game, you just gotta wait a bit.

TheJuqhusim

May 20, 2009
Or you could just go to Wal-Mart and buy it for the regular price of $48.50.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11332037

Sep 9, 2007
shaboinkin said:
Just don't buy the game right when it comes out, and wait for a price drop if you are really shitting your pants over the price hike. I don't like it, but I haven't bought a new game the month it came out in over 2 years. It's just a waste of money to buy a game when it comes out. You will still be getting the same game, you just gotta wait a bit.
Also by that time, the online code is generally better balanced and bug free(ish).

TheJuqhusim

May 20, 2009
Yeah...this double post won't go away. But anyway. Activision has sucked for a while. Doesn't anyone recall that DLC debacle where NVidia had to come in and "sponsor" the PC community so we could get new maps because Activision SUCKS BALLS and left us out in the cold?

Man, we were only the community that made CoD one of the most popular games ever, why the hell would they show their original fanbase any kind of love?

It's not really surprising that this company, that thinks it owns the PC market, would up their prices. Let's just hope good devs don't follow suit.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
scotth266 said:
oliveira8 said:

Your argument holds no truck for one reason and one reason alone: the number of purchases involved. WoW has a RIDICULOUS number of people who have bought the game, LET ALONE the subscription fees involved. Guild Wars? I doubt they have half that.

Also, if people are willing to pay 70-something Euros for games, that's what the companies will price the games at. Companies operate on the basis of attaining profits: the highest price they can make, with people still buying their product, is the price they will set. Like I've said before: the only solution is to wait for the prices of stuff to drop.

Making the games cheap doesn't cut piracy, by the way. If nothing else did, World of Goo proved that. The game's only 20 bones, and it had a 90% piracy rate a while back. So much for the line of thought that good pricing = less piracy.
Actually Guild Wars has around half the population WoW has.

But anyway. WoW didn't always have 11 million subscribers. Believe it or not, thats actually recent. Still Guild Wars content is half of WoW content. And this was before WoW having half of it's current subscribers.

And World of Goo is actually overpriced for what it is. World of Goo costs 20 Euros on STEAM, most indie games cost much less.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
oliveira8 said:

People shouldn't give a nickle to these assholes. Sad is that it's going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Activision will keep pulling shit like this.
I think thats what you call a Monopaly my friend

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
Hmm...For me this works effectively like if they delayed the release. I wait a bit more before I get the game and pay what I normally would have paid. Not much to get all worked up over. After all games get delayed all the time...

BTW: Didn't Valve do some research on this topic via Steam a while ago? I seem to remember something about lower prices equaling both increased sales and revenue... If that's correct this will be a stupid move.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
oliveira8 said:

:O ?

TheJuqhusim

May 20, 2009
Quick Ben said:
BTW: Didn't Valve do some research on this topic via Steam a while ago? I seem to remember something about lower prices equaling both increased sales and[i/] revenue... If that's correct this will be a stupid move.

That's a basic rule of economics...actually. They coined a term for it, called "Reaganomics."

That's beside the point. But when taxes are at a lower point, MORE people are willing and able to pay them. This causes income and revenue to be far higher. However, as the tax prices go up, and up, less and less people are willing to pay taxes. If you go to a point of 100% taxation, there is no income, because nobody has any incentive to work.

Much like this picture.

It's not much, but a $10 increase will probably show a large decrease in sales on the PC. It's improbable that these feelings of abstaining or boycotting are isolated. I'm sure hundreds of thousands will not want to buy the game for a while. Bad marketing move by Activision.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Oh yay! An Activision tax.

Something tells me I'm going to be the one person who doesn't buy MW 2 day one because of all this bullshit.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Supreme Unleaded said:
oliveira8 said:

Oi, do you know what a monopoly is, it is when there is one single company in a buisness so whatever they make you are forced to buy no matter how much it costs or how shity it is.

Now Activision may not be a monopoly but there games pretty much are since the Call Of Duty franchise is baought by most everyone. So they can do whatever they want with the prices and they will still make a good profit with it.

Cole257

Aug 12, 2008
This is dumb, it's only 10 extra bucks. Man up, pay it, move on. It's that simple.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
oliveira8 said:
Supreme Unleaded said:
oliveira8 said:

Oi, do you know what a monopoly is, it is when there is one single company in a buisness so whatever they make you are forced to buy no matter how much it costs or how shity it is.

Now Activision may not be a monopoly but there games pretty much are since the Call Of Duty franchise is baought by most everyone. So they can do whatever they want with the prices and they will still make a good profit with it.
Call of Duty isn't bought by that many people. So no. What Activision is doing is not a monopoly. It's just a dick move.

And they won't make a good profit from the PC version.

Tyrant T100

Aug 19, 2009
If I translate that $60 into UK currency that will be roughly £45 or so. Well I'll just see if I have the money at the time I guess.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Nice job encouraging piracy for the PC, Activision. If you think PC gamers are going to happily pay $10 more than what they are used to, your going to be in for a rude surprise. I'm in no hurry to get MW2. I'll just wait for a Steam sale or something.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
and the chances of me buying this game continue to decrease...ahhh raising prices in a recession, it makes my wallet make the creaky door sound on those increasingly rare times i open it

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
I'm totaly willing to pay more for modwar2, after all activision has split with tri-arch on COD so they might be having money troubles, so it's understandable.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
So that'll be like, what, $80CAD or so after taxes?

Well looks like I just saved some money. I'm not supporting this price hike, hell, I wouldn't even if I had the cash to spend.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Rhayn said:
I will laugh if this game turns out to be a complete flop. In fact, I think I'll laugh so much I won't be standing up a few days.

Not that it's going to happen, but at least I can hope.
A "short" campaign mode and a closed in-house Multiplayer beta don't bode well. Just don't be a mug and pre-order it, please...

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
Activision have finally realized that MW2 will be a hot-selling piece of gold, and want to get as much money as humanly possible.

Heil Hitler!

zagazsano

Mar 19, 2009
We need to stick together to stop the nonsense, Steam users/other PC gamers unite!

odisious15

Nov 14, 2007
While I'm not going to be buying MW2 when it releases anyways the problem with the price hiking is that while development costs go up, game content goes down. People saying just wait seem to be missing the fact that even on the PC the cost of MW1 has only just dropped down to $39.99 from it's original $49.99; and how long has the game been out ?

The other point to be made is when is enough enough PS1 games ran $39.99, PS2 & XBOX games ran $49.99, and now PS3 & 360 games run $59.99. From the tone of most posters saying the PC gamers or just a bunch of whiners I have to ask how much are you willing to pay for future generations of console games ? Suppose that we're living in the same economic climate two generations from now; would you be willing to pay $69.99 or $79.99 for a game that has a campaign that only run 6-8 hours ? I especially have to wonder what European gamers would think about that since they already pay nearly $100 for games.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
It's easy to accuse Activision of simply squeezing more profit out of us, but do remember that big titles are costing more to produce, and this one certainly must have cost quite a bit more with aims of higher quality, and hiring Holywood voice actors.
It's probably not so unreasonable that these costs are reflected in a higher price for the game in the end.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
Cole257 said:
This is dumb, it's only 10 extra bucks. Man up, pay it, move on. It's that simple.
lol the only reason its dumb is because activision us un-justifiably jacking up pc prices. with consoles they have to pay the sony tax, or the microsoft tax because sony and microsoft sell thier consoles at a loss. pc gamers have to pay full price for thier machines (yes, console gamers can say "ha! suckers!" at this but there is alot of reasons we pc gamers choose pc's over consoles) so activision is just taking a much greater profit over this. now you may say "hey, they will use that profit to make more new games" but fact of the matter is they will make MORE money if they keep prices the way they are or even better drop them.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/valve-are-games-too-expensive

fact is the higher they raise prices the more people will choose to pirate them instead. me? im not going to pirate it, im gonna wait till it drops to 30-40 dollars and buy modern warfare 1 when number 2 comes out.

as for modding tools being available and that justifies the cost:
1. Not all games come with mod tools
2. It takes little effort to pack their tools with the game
3. Modding comes from the gamer, not from the games creator, they shouldnt get money from someone elses work.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
I was going to buy it on Xbox anyway. I'm most pissed about Activision being such a pile of dicks lately because of their merger with Blizzard, which is usually anything BUT a pile of dicks. Methinks this spells doom for Blizzard's way of actually giving a shit about their customers.

Although YES, they do have a business to run and money to make, $50 PC titles have been selling perfectly well, and as such this can't be anything but grabbing for extra profit.

Additionally, it may have an effect on what people begin charging for their other PC titles, but hopefully most companies will not feel the need to grub for another $10 of profit when they've been doing fine.

EDIT: Or, since I'm a Californian, I bet Fry's will be selling it $10 off on day one. If you're on the US West Coast and you've never been to one of these electronics superstores, get ye there, all the time. They are awesome.

AnAnemicTurtle

Aug 17, 2009
Aw well, I'm not very excited about this anyway. I enjoyed COD4, but not so much that I would want to play something similar again. If people buy games at these prices, they'll keep pricing them this way.

CyberAkuma

Nov 27, 2007
So now US citzens will have to pay for the game as much as we Europeans do normally?
Woo-fucking-dipedy-doo.

I seriously don't see the rage behind this.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
D_987 said:
So what, because console network distributors are greedy and consoles are more limited then PC gamers should have to pay the premium?!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
That $10 extra is going to the higher ups at activision, will never get anywhere near IW.

Aug 18, 2009
The only sequels I've ever bought, while having bought the first game, are Jak 2 & 3... And Final Fantasy X-2, but that game was so vastly different from Final Fantasy X; I don't really consider it a sequel.[/quote]

*Threw up a little at the mention FFX-2*

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
This is not as true for me but I'm sure it is for some. This is just a story as far as I go.

Game Y ran somewhat smoothly on my PC. I couldn't run it smoothly on max so I settled on medium. Now with Game X's increase on the minimum requirements I need to buy new computer parts just to play this game on low. So now a computer game that cost you $60 on your console will end up costing me more than $200.

This marks the end of the story.

I always figured that the reason PC games were cheaper was because the cost of the "console" was higher and needed to be upgraded for games to run on it.

If tomorrow Activision announced that to run the game on consoles you HAD to buy a certain $50 accessory, no way around it, console owners would lose their minds. And this is only $50, not the 100's a PC gamer has to shell out to play modern games smoothly. 5 games at $50 made up for this. Granted the cost of a PC game never actually equaled the cost of a console game when you include the console, you would have had to buy hundreds of games to make up that cost, but to me that is what always made them equals at $50.

Add on to that what was mentioned earlier about Activision making roughly $10 more per game on PCs than consoles even before the hike, and you see that PC users are already kind of fucked over, and now they want to fuck us over more.

This basically screams to us to move to consoles, not that they haven't already (Online multiplayer being one reason for some games. I'm looking at you Ghostbusters.). While I'm not against consoles, I do love my 360, I just prefer my games on PC when I can.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Using my magical mind powers, I looking to the future.

"90% piracy rates on MW2. Activision blames greedy PC gamers."

And since we in the UK are already paying a metric fuckload for the game as it is...

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Joeshie said:
Nice job encouraging piracy for the PC, Activision. If you think PC gamers are going to happily pay $10 more than what they are used to, your going to be in for a rude surprise. I'm in no hurry to get MW2. I'll just wait for a Steam sale or something.
This.

It went from a first day thing, to a whenever Steam (or some other store) puts it on sale thing.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
At first I expected this to end up with a bunch of people expecting it to get pirated.

Now it looks like Walmart will just make a killing. Seriously, its $10 cheaper and you get a $10 gift card for their online store. Thank you overwhelmingly powerful big business!

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Why are people defending Activision? It is a dick movie to squeeze money out of us, simple as that. First they fucked over the UK with raising the price to 90$ which is fucking nuts. Now only 3 months away from launch they announce that the PC is going to be 60$ with no option for special edition. It's not because of production costs or making the market fair. If they announced this in early production then they could of gotten away with it with less backlash. We won't see that 10$ of improvement on our game, it's just to make that Activision president a little bit richer. I say we all buy used copies so they don't get any money from us and we can still enjoy the game.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
obisean said:
If tomorrow Activision announced that to run the game on consoles you HAD to buy a certain $50 accessory, no way around it, console owners would lose their minds.
I fail to see people losing their minds over Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and those come with 60-80$ accessories.

People keep mentioning that they need to upgrade their rigs for tons of money to play PC games: but in reality, you would need to upgrade your rig anyway to do all sorts of other stuff. Besides, if you have said tons of money to blow on upgrading your rig, you likely have the extra 10$ that the poor console gamers fork up for their games all the time.

If not, just limit when you buy games, like I've said above.

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
I'm buying it for PC at full price because I played the first Modern Warfare and found it to be one of the best games released in quite a while. I can recognize good game design, and if MW2 continues where its predecessor left off, I think it'll be worth the money.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
after this game for ps3 im DONE with activision. no more guitar hero, i cant live in a world where my beloved video game company is nickle and diming you LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
Greed will be the their downfall.

I can see the headlines "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 the most pirated game since Spore".
MW 1's multi made it worth every penny, but I think TF2 will keep me happy untill it's price drops. A lot.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
i think they might be doing this because either:
a) Activision hates PC gamers
b) MW2 costed more to make than expected and are in debt and needed a way to even out
c) all the extra profit will go to MW3?

b and c look like the obvious answers but who knows, plus PC gamers have been spoiled with mods, do that on a console and you get your account banned

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm waiting for game companies to catch on to Valves ideas, having big sales, having free play weekends, but with moves like this being pulled? They can keep their shitty game, I don't care if it's amazing, I'm not spending even more money on games.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
Alot of people are just going to grumble about it as they empty their wallets; there will be a constant mental battle against themselves going "SCREW THEM THEY CAN'T JUST CHANGE THE PRICE" and "Yaaaaayy Modern Warfare 2. Well, I'm off to prestige... Call me in 2 weeks thats usually when I empty the bed pan and throw all the pizza boxes out the windows." Sooooo... its not really going to cgange anything really theres going to be more bitching until it comes out.

Keivz

Dec 4, 2008
The game is $49 at Walmart + a $10 gift card making it effectively $39 new.

This article and thread are now moot. :p

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Normally I feel bad for certain developers when they're games suffer from severe piracy. But in this case, it's going to be karmic retribution.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
So Call of Duty 4 gets torrented a million times on the PC, and they decide to INCREASE prices?

Smart move guise!

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
im going for the ps3 version anyway, because my pc wont be able to handle it (it cant handle Dawn of War 2).

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I think their getting a little big in the head about how anticipated their game is.

I'm not going to do the math, but if they only turn away 1 of 6 people that were going to buy the game with the price hike they'll still make about the same amount right?

I guess their just hoping to get something like 1 of 7, hoping for fans that show the most love and not how many fans they have total. I see this type of thing in contests where you can vote for your team more than once, like if one person votes three times and another party has two voters that voted once.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Reasons as of late on why the price change is not a good idea.

1.Inflation- This is the obvious move by Activision and anyone who has played video games for a main hobby and is an aware consumer. Both the planned price hike in Europe and now the PC title is a new pricing strategy to test if the modern consumer(which we here are in a minority) will be willing to purchase the PC version for the same amount as the console games. If the pricing is successful and meet their quota you can expect more games to cost even more in the future.

This from a consumer standpoint is a bad move. Remember as consumers the only thing a consumer can flex against companies is their wallets and by buying products we as consumers enable bad business behavior just like any other industry. Those who make the argument "It is only ten more dollars" do not realize that they are defending the negative business practices of the company and their ability to control pricing. If there is any problem with the video game industry and the cost of games then the model of which consumers buy consoles and games as a whole need to be looked at. Right now an average american consumer's wages has not increased with the actual cost of products of today.

2.Content- It is this generation and only this generation in which there are reasons why charging the same amount for a PC or a console game is not fair. The answer is content, distribution and online services. First let's talk about content. This generation has really changed the way PC gamers have been able to get content and I do not mean patches, I mean the full version of a game. The easiest example and relates to digital distribution shows itself on Steam and the many games PC consumers can get their games.

Let's take a look at the game Overlord II and Ghostbusters and compare it to the console version.

PC games
Overlord 2: http://store.steampowered.com/app/12810/
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72876
Ghostbusters: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73008
http://store.steampowered.com/app/9870/

Console
Overlord 2: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72877
Ghostbusters: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73003

Notice the major difference in price? However did you notice something else missing? Both of these games do not offer the ability to play multiplayer. So as of late there have been more games being developed and released for the PC consumer and are not getting the equal amount of content for the game and the same could be said for the console gamer as well when it comes to patches or being sold through DLC. The major difference is the model of online services between the consoles and PC which I will discuss in this next section. To wrap things up PC consumers for this generation normally have to wait for the game to be released longer than a console game like Street Fighter 4, or could get the game released on the same date but lack the same amount of content like Ghostbusters and Overlord 2. So there are legitimate reasons on why the pricing of console and PC games should not be equal.

3.Distribution- This generation has brought consoles and PCs very close together but the model of distribution still have some clear solid lines. Right now consumers have two choices when it comes to distribution: Digital distribution via downloads or Retail distribution which allows consumers to have a physical product. Now both consoles and PCs have used these methods but it is clear when it comes to the method and model of digital distribution do these two are very different.

Console games this generation have enjoyed for the first time the ability to allow consumers to download older games, movies, music, DLC and indie games. The model is currently being controlled not by the publisher or developer of the games console consumers buy but by the distributor which for consoles is Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. The regulation and maintenance for all these services are put upon them. With this new responsibility also came the idea to profit from this new model which makes sense since they are hosting all the content from every developer, artist and publisher. Memberships such as Xbox live gold account exist to even fund the ability to allow consumers to play online for all the games they host including the Call of Duty Series. The responsibility has been taken off the developers and onto the distributor here and is beneficial to both parties. Developers no longer had to host their own servers for online gameplay and the distributor could create a profitable system to burden the massive amount of multiplayer games required to host for consumers.

First let me talk about the multiplayer for PC games before I get to distribution. PC games have sorta adopted this model but still isn't the main method. Games like Dawn of War 2 and Fallout 3 use the Games for Windows Live model in which hosting is done by Microsoft but the old method is still the primary. The primary model to host online gaming is performed by either the developer or publisher, or the consumers. Systems like Battle.net or Valve's Steam have servers to allow their consumers to play their games online where the main aspect of the game is to play with others online. Hosting costs nowhere near what Microsoft and Xbox live services because the hosting is limited to one game so it is illogical to charge a membership for a single game(MMO's withstanding). Could you imagine paying fifty USD just to play Warcraft 3?

Consumers for a very long time have had the ability to rent, own servers or personally host PC games from their own computer. Costs of hosting is taken upon the consumer or a group of consumers to enjoy their own game. There is no one paying for hosting aside from the consumers themselves. It is a popular model because of the ability to empower the consumer and learn new skills and take responsibility hosting and being an administrator. Games like TF2, L4D, the Battlefield series and many more are all hosted by consumers.

As for distribution this is where publishers and developers really get to save a lot and make a lot of money from PC gamers. Computers already have the ability to download a majority of services which Console online services offer so there is no need for publishers or developers to host or try to sell music or movies because there is already competition. So it all comes down the getting the games and there is even competition there. PC gamers can get their games from digital distributors such as Steam, Battle.net, Impulse, Greenhouse, Good Old Games and many more. Instead of having to create an absorbent amount of discs costs are saved by allowing PC consumers to download the game at the comfort of their own home. No shipping costs for the individual or the physical store, no production costs to create an actual disk. Think about how much money companies save by using this new model?

As a consumer, a member of the ECA, and as a gamer for the reasons stated above(which I could go further) that the price increase is unjustified, unfair and will weaken the consumer's power. If publishers wish to increase the cost of their games then the model of which consoles games are sold need to be looked at. There is no console a PC gamer has to purchase when playing a PC game.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
D_987 said:
Because PC developers don't have to pay license fee's to the console manufacturers.

Najarana

Aug 16, 2008
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
Because you can't sell a used pcgame seeing as the cd-key will prevent people from playing online. No such restriction on a console game.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
*Jumps on Boycott bandwagon*

Normally I don't support piracy, but Activision can kiss my ass if they think that I'm going to support them on this.

Edit:
Keivz said:

At least walmart has the right idea (Who could have guessed that not pissing off your customers might work in your favor?).

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
PC Games are cheaper because you get less ownership over the product. You cannot sell your PC game. The fact that consoles can't really do mods is purely software based - there's nothing in their hardware that would prevent mods (apart from perhaps being too effin' weak).

Activision has started to get more and more cocky, trying to increase profits and releasing sequel after sequel. It's gonna slap them in the face eventually with half the sales. I for one won't give Activision a single dime of my cash. All I would be doing is feed Kotick's incredible lust for more cash. I prefer to give my money to the developers, not the new EA Games.

If this is the way Activision is gonna treat PC Gamers, then they go fuck themselves. If pirates eat them alive and they pull out of the PC market, then good riddance. I'm not paying 60 bucks for a PC Game short of it being pure orgasm.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
Maybe $60 for you. In Poland all our games are 250 PLN, that's about $70. So welcome to our world, where prices are higher than you'd want them to be.
Sadly it is more like $80-85, I am moving to Poland in a month and I have been watching the exchange rate which ranges from 3.0-3.5; sadly I doubt I will be buying many games in the next few years.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Baby Tea said:
vivaldiscool said:
Baby Tea said:

Now the prices are even across the board. The fact that they may get more money from it doesn't deter from the fact that console owners have been paying more for games. Now it's even, which is only fair for everyone.
Not really; the reason that console prices are higher is that you're subsidising the losses of the console manufacturer on the hardware, which PC gamers don't do, as they have to buy their equipment out right. Essentially console gamers pay more for games because they pay less for their hardware.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Ill probably get it at some point but not till it gets cheaper or used but since Im a pc gamer chances are Ill end up getting it with a new vid card or something

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
As I'm a fairly die hard supporter of Consumer Rights, I'm gonna put a big ol' Fuck You sign up for this. I'll be buying my copy second hand from CeX, because I at least know those guys aren't going to rip me off.

You hear that Activision? That's loyalty to a company who has been good to me. Something you're not doing.

Maybe if they were a little less douchey about the whole thing (Lol no Prestige Edition for the PC, also lol Price Hike, also lol UK players are going to pay more!) I'd actually have some inclination to still buy it first hand as a way of showing my support.

But I don't.

I'll either completely give this a miss or buy it second hand. I'll be damned if Activision is getting my money after this move.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
D_987 said:
Because console manufacturers like Microsoft and Sony get a cut of the sales, thus the prices are higher for console players. How else do you propose they make up for the losses taken by simply selling their console?

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Baby Tea said:
kawligia said:
Baby Tea said:

Yeah, it's fair.

w00t!!!111
Nice try.

Ahhhh, finally, somebody who says it before me.

Anywho, did the PC gamers really think they were safe from Activision's rampage?

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
Not only that, but mod tools tend to come from a third party source, someone that more than likely isn't even affiliated with Activision. Case in point is Oblivion and Fallout 3, people were modding Oblivion before Bethesda put out an actual modding tool, and with Fallout 3 people were modding with their old Oblivion tool kits until Bethesda put out a full set for Fallout. Why would computer players pay more for something that Activision probably won't even be putting out? I can see people modifying the old MW1 modding toolkit to be used on MW2 before Activision even gets around to thinking about giving out "official" modding tools, and even with that, those bastards will try to get greedier again and make us pay to use the modding tool... I'd like one of the big box game companies to actually think about the consumer once and a while for a change.

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
Keivz said:

Thanks Walmart.... Always low prices, always screw the wholesaler, but in this case I'm actually not pissed off. /thumbsup

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
D_987 said:
PC Games are cheaper because to play them you require a better kit and there's always the fact that if it's too expensive, it will get hugely pirated... About the mod tools, thats the companies excuse for releasing a broken game and hoping the gaming community will fix it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Activision are really going to screw themselves over if they carry on like this, they've already pissed people off.

I wander how Infinity Ward about them messing so much with the game? IW just wants the game, Activision wants all this crappy merchandise. If the game was going to set a record number of sales, they could of left the price as it was and still kept people happy.

Arkanthaes

May 6, 2008
Amnestic said:
As I'm a fairly die hard supporter of Consumer Rights, I'm gonna put a big ol' Fuck You sign up for this. I'll be buying my copy second hand from CeX, because I at least know those guys aren't going to rip me off.

You hear that Activision? That's loyalty to a company who has been good to me. Something you're not doing..
CeX is a ripoff. I frequently see new, unused games in GAME for the same price as the secondhand games from CeX, and one of my friends who works there often bought games secondhand from GAME and sold them to CeX at a profit.

Also, Enjoy your DRM problems

Radu889

Dec 14, 2007
Well... Seems that Activision is typing the scales on who's the bigger jackass.

Microsoft is still first though but Acti is now very close.

Probably just buy it off Steam when it's at half price.
God I love price cut weekends.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Arkanthaes said:
Amnestic said:

You hear that Activision? That's loyalty to a company who has been good to me. Something you're not doing..
CeX is a ripoff. I frequently see new, unused games in GAME for the same price as the secondhand games from CeX, and one of my friends who works there often bought games secondhand from GAME and sold them to CeX at a profit.

Also, Enjoy your DRM problems
I have friends at CeX. Staff discount ;)

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I can practically taste the piracy.

Of course, for all I know, this is some sort of MMOFPS or something.
I don't think I've even heard of it before...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
I can practically taste the piracy.

Of course, for all I know, this is some sort of MMOFPS or something.
I don't think I've even heard of it before...
You might want to look up Sony's Planetside then, which is an MMOFPS for the PC. You don't have a set of 'stats', but rather earn skill points.

Also, your weapons don't increase in potency, but you use skill points to unlock proficiencies (being able to actually use) new/different weapons and armour. You can also use them to unlock the ability to drive a variety of ground vehicles, air vehicles and bipedal mecha which look like the bastard child of a Timber Wolf and a Battlefield 2142 mech.

There's also a separate 'Command Point' system which you can earn by...actually I don't know, I only played it for a few days.

Three factions, constant war across a number of planets for control.

It's an MMOFPSRPG where your guns do the same amount of damage and have the same accuracy when you start out as some guy who's been playing for months. It's not like your guns are drastically weaker the less skill points you have.

/end description

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Even by making it shitty for everyone.

That's like saying "hey, that kid over there doesn't have a leg... Let's chop everyone else's leg off so it's FAIR!".

As previously explained, consoles paid more because part of it went to the console developers. Developing for PC doesn't come with that handicap, so why should we pay more for it?

This isn't about fairness. Never is. This is about trying to squeeze out as much out of the public as they can get away with.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
So, That makes it fair.

I'll probably end up getting it on Xbox 360, cos
Controller > Keyboard & Mouse.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Well, I wasn't really interested much in MW2 to begin with. COD4 was fun, yes; but I got bored of it fairly quickly. This has just made the already probable decision to not buy it definate.

If Activision are going to give PC Gamers a big "fuck you" by raising the prices of their games, then I'm going to give them one back by not buying any of them and taking my money elsewhere.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
If I ever planned to get it in the first place, this might have been disappointing news. However, seeing as I couldn't care less for MW1 or 2 for that matter, charge whatever you want.

Blood_Lined

Mar 31, 2009
MW2 can go jump into a lake, or something along those lines. The single player will likely last me 3 hours, it has been completely online focused, which I am not interested in. Sorry MW1 fans.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
You American's have it lucky.

For as long as I can remember down here in Aus our games are usually around $90 at release. For you guys that's $75. Gaming isn't cheap. I don't agree with what Activision is doing, but it was pretty predictable. They wants the moar moneyz and the masses will pay a little bit more without caring, and their profit margin jumps from just that extra $5. Why did we ever assume that game companies were our friends? We don't see ourselves personifying Mcdonalds.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
sneak_copter said:
So, That makes it fair.
Does it? The PC players are now paying the developers more than the console consumers, are they not?

People need to get over the idea that PC=Mouse and Keyboard. It is almost shockingly easy to get a 360 controller hooked up to your PC, all the instructions are listed online with a 10 second google search of obvious keywords.

Crazy, I know, people have only been using different peripherals to play games for over two decades. It's not as if you're behind the time with your misinformed opinion or anything.

Oh wait.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Shit, I will kill everyone at activision if this causes an increase in price for pc games. Especially because Im not buying it

Hashcurt

Aug 22, 2009
Fortunately, a lot of the retailers over in blighty have still priced up Modern Warfare 2 at 34.99 online, the price it would be if I went to buy it off the shelf at Game or Gamestation.

Makes it a moot point, alongside making the complaints and counter moans about pc game pricing. I'll be probably looking at mod tooling it up, but instead getting all the "New maps" because there isn't the bottlehold on public content that there is on the XboxLive or PSN.

I think i'll be buying this and letting a few friends install it for LAN games. Beats having to have multiple copies of the same game like I would if it was the console variant.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
Chaos Marine said:
Look here. [http://www.cdwow.ie/games/PC-Game/CALL-OF-DUTY-MODERN-WARFARE-2/product/view/9838937]
dhfshfuehfefeygf!!!!! I am very happy because of you!

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
I dunno about over there, but it costs roughly the same for the standard edition across all the systems.

Frankly, I couldn't give two tosses about the Prestige edition. The artbook will be online within hours of it's release, and I'd much rather, you know, be PLAYING THE GAME I JUST SPENT 80 DOLLARS ON, rather than running around in the semi-dark with some lights strapped to my face.

Ph0t0n1c Ph34r

Feb 25, 2009
Oh for fucks sake! So now PC gamers have to pay the same price as everyone else, the world going to end. I've been playing $60 a game for years now. Besides half of PC gamers r gonna be getting it of a bit torrent anyway.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Amnestic said:
sneak_copter said:
So, That makes it fair.
Does it? The PC players are now paying the developers more than the console consumers, are they not?

People need to get over the idea that PC=Mouse and Keyboard. It is almost shockingly easy to get a 360 controller hooked up to your PC, all the instructions are listed online with a 10 second google search of obvious keywords.

Crazy, I know, people have only been using different peripherals to play games for over two decades. It's not as if you're behind the time with your misinformed opinion or anything.

Oh wait.
Yes, but what is also true is:
Full support for peripheral > Bit support for peripheral.

You know, If I was as half as good as you at pressing enter and coming up with a needlessly snarky comment, this space would be just that.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
sneak_copter said:
Amnestic said:
sneak_copter said:
So, That makes it fair.

Oh wait.
Yes, but what is also true is:
Full support for peripheral > Bit support for peripheral.

You know, If I was as half as good as you at pressing enter and coming up with a needlessly snarky comment, this space would be just that.
It's not 'bit support'. Most Steam games these days come will full 360 controller support and the drivers are freely accessible from the Microsoft website. 360 Controllers are entirely supported for a number of games.

It's 'bit support' in that they're not supported for every game admittedly, but why would you want controller support for something like a Total War or C&C game anyway? :p

Also, what you did there. I see it.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
oliveira8 said:

I believe there was an article on this very site a while back that stated Activision's CEO was in favor of the highest game prices possible. Yeah, they don't deserve our money at all. No prestige edition, higher prices, and I'm willing to bet it will be a direct X360 port as well. Where's the good in that?

Note: When I complain about there being not prestige edition for the PC, I'm not suggesting anyone should be crazy enough to actually buy it. Although I must admit, those NVGs are kinda cool.

deadly.by.design

Jan 30, 2008
scotth266 said:
Makes sense to me that console games cost more. A PC is not a strictly regulated platform, whereas each console is. It's my way or the highway on consoles, and there's likely cash flowing their way for the 'privilege' of having the game release on their system.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
The truth is, Activision can charge as much as they want, as long as people are willing to pay. And you know what? They will. They'll definitely pay for a sequel to a critically-acclaimed game.

I agree, prices suck. $50 was bad enough -- $60 is even worse.

On the one hand, you're getting a lot of entertainment for that price. A 20 hour campaign is $3/hour -- try spending $3/hour at a bar, movie theatre, or any other common form of entertainment. Heck, that's about the hourly cost of a movie rental.

On the other hand, $60 is a significant investment. With so many video games vying for our limited budgets, every $60 purchase requires serious thought. Besides, without demos, trials, or return policies (and in many cases, measures to prevent reselling), that $60 is a huge risk -- the game might be terrible and you might put it back on the shelf 2 hours later.

Video games are finding themselves in the same position as music albums -- too high of a cost for such a risky investment. Either the publishers need to provide mechanisms to help customers reduce the risk of their purchase (like demos and return policies) or they need to lower the price of the investment.

With neither option, piracy becomes all the more likely. Given a high demand, assume the customer will acquire it through whatever means necessary. The cost of the game is a barrier to acquiring it. With the barrier to piracy being low (a 1-day download, perhaps), the large difference means a lot of people resorting to piracy to get what they want. Lower the cost and piracy becomes less desirable.

You think big companies would have learned this by now, but instead they raise prices, invest the difference in DRM, and lobby for making copyright infringement a life sentence. What a waste.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
All I can say, Activison don't want the buisness. Thank god I found a reasonable preorder group.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Why is this game predicted to sell so well? Did the first one really do anything that merits the sequel being so deep throated?

I borrowed it from a friend and felt like he was cheated out of 15 dollars (he bought the original at full price and frankly I think it was overcharging).

I guess shiny shit doesn't impress me as much as the next guy.

ReverseEngineered said:
On the one hand, you're getting a lot of entertainment for that price. A 20 hour campaign is $3/hour -- try spending $3/hour at a bar, movie theatre, or any other common form of entertainment. Heck, that's about the hourly cost of a movie rental.
The Drive in here is 8 dollars (Now, it used to be 6 something) for two films.

At roughly 1.5 to 2 hours a film that's between 3 and 4 hours of entertainment for 8 bucks.

Sure that's 4 dollars, but if you go watch two long films you'll hit the 3 dollar mark or break under.

Plus they don't mind if you bring your own food here.

I'm more apt to spend 4 dollars a film and be disappointed than 60 dollars for a game that does absolutely nothing better than its competition. Marketing is gangster these days, I'm waiting for someone to remarket pong for 60 bucks and have it be 'critically acclaimed'.

Amnestic said:
It's not 'bit support'. Most Steam games these days come will full 360 controller support and the drivers are freely accessible from the Microsoft website. 360 Controllers are entirely supported for a number of games.

It's 'bit support' in that they're not supported for every game admittedly, but why would you want controller support for something like a Total War or C&C game anyway? :p

Also, what you did there. I see it.
I can't recall the last time a game I played on the PC with a 360 controller had less than full support.

Then again I can't recall a FPS after the N64 where I preferred a controller to a mouse and keyboard.

Controller is great for basically any genre outside of FPS. Once you hit that place its just a lot of work arounds to make it live able.

Sixties Spidey

Jan 24, 2008
HAH! Do they honestly think I'm going to pay sixty dollars for that? Fuck them! Pirate it! That's the answer!

Don't have enough money? Pirate it! Company's an asshole? Pirate it! Another Guitar Hero game milked only to please idiots and to further monopolize gaming under the mighty dollar? Pirate Pirate Pirate and ask questions later! Any other measures? Pirate Pirate Pirate PIRATE!

Because remember, the only way companies like Activision will ever get ANYTHING through their thick skulls is if we turn on our torrent clients and download their games. A lost customer is bad to any business, but MULTIPLE consumers pirating their game AT ONCE, and pirating the biggest game OF THIS YEAR mind you will fuck up Activision to extravagant proportions!

Or they could just... buy the console versions. =/

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
HAH! Do they honestly think I'm going to pay sixty dollars for that? Fuck them! Pirate it! That's the answer!

Don't have enough money? Pirate it! Company's an asshole? Pirate it! Another Guitar Hero game milked only to please idiots and to further monopolize gaming under the mighty dollar? Pirate Pirate Pirate and ask questions later! Any other measures? Pirate Pirate Pirate PIRATE!

Because remember, the only way companies like Activision will ever get ANYTHING through their thick skulls is if we turn on our torrent clients and download their games. A lost customer is bad to any business, but MULTIPLE consumers pirating their game AT ONCE, and pirating the biggest game OF THIS YEAR mind you will fuck up Activision to extravagant proportions!

Or they could just... buy the console versions. =/
Or you could buy it second hand so that the console publishers/developers get no money.

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
sneak_copter said:
So, That makes it fair.

..... Shadowrun. Look it up. End of Story.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It'll be just like spore and sims 3, it'll be pirated to hell, and STILL sell through the roof proving that piracy is a scapegoat for these companies... which is a shame because I want EA, Ubisoft, and BlizzAcc to collapse

folks in the industry are also quick to tell you to screw off and don't buy it if a customer has an issue, but then turn around and cry that the industry is dying and we should take pity on them when people listen to them and DONT buy their game

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/pc_game_piracy/

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Fr331anc3r said:
sneak_copter said:
So, That makes it fair.

Okay, since i'd be forced to play it on my laptop:

Controller > Keyboard and Touchpad.

NOBODY CAN DISAGREE WITH ME.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Well that settles it, I'm not getting this on either PC or Console. It could be better than MW1 but still for that price, I'm passing.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
the console version will probably be $ 70 here in canada , the bastards but as for me i'll wait a bit to pick it up when released

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
sneak_copter said:
Fr331anc3r said:
sneak_copter said:
So, That makes it fair.

Okay, since i'd be forced to play it on my laptop:

Controller > Keyboard and Touchpad.

NOBODY CAN DISAGREE WITH ME.
That's why it's DEAD on the XBox 360, because the Keyboard and Mouse killed the controller, the PC crowd so thoroughly trounced the XBox community, that the XBox community died, oh and the sudden change Keyboard + Touchpad, yeah, no one can disagree with you, but it isn't your original statement, therefore you conceded your point, all all of us that disagreed with you on your original statement.... WIN!

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
Will the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 have multiplayer? The way it's worded on some sites seems to suggest that it won't. If that is the case, the PC version should be much cheaper considering how much of the game the multiplayer aspect is.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Why is everyone upset about this? PC games have user-made content, essentially better graphics, better servers and mods. It makes sense that they cost the same as console games. Exact same game, but with more added on.

*Puts flameshield up*

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Nocola said:
Because the PC version doesn't have multiplayer, the way I understand it at least.
Why would you bump a two month old topic to make a cryptic comment that isn't even true?

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
Nimbus said:
Nocola said:
Because the PC version doesn't have multiplayer, the way I understand it at least.
Why would you bump a two month old topic to make a cryptic comment that isn't even true?
Sorry Nimbus, as you can see I edited that post immediately after posting it because I had meant to be quoting another post, but I misclicked. Also I didn't notice till after I had posted that this thread was 2 months old, I searched MW2 in The Escapist search bar and came across this thread. I hadn't meant to make a cryptic comment that isn't even true and I apologize.