Modern Warfare 2 PC Pricier Than Expected

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Just when we think games are all about fun and ... games, something comes along to remind us that they are a business, after all: Modern Warfare 2 for the PC will be priced slightly higher in line with the current console pricing structure.

$59.99 is now the normal price for console games, but those that prefer a computer have thus far have been lucky enough to avoid a similar rise in price on PC titles. While this is perhaps done as some sort of incentive to encourage PC gamers to keep supporting the platform, it may not last for too much longer.

Modern Warfare 2 will buck the trend and be priced at a full $59.99 according to retail outlets like Best Buy and Amazon. It does not appear to be isolated to just one retailer, as is the case with the Wii MotionPlus and other accessories being priced $5 higher at GameStop [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696597/GameStop-Customer-Service-Rep-Apologies-For-MotionPlus-Price-GougingSort-Of.html].

Sure, Modern Warfare 2 is predicted to be one of the biggest selling titles of all time, so this isn't necessarily going to spread throughout the rest of the new release section. The desire to profit just a tad more (or 20% more) is an infectious disease that is easily caught, however.

[Source: IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1015622p1.html]]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?

People shouldn't give a nickle to these assholes. Sad is that it's going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Activision will keep pulling shit like this.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I really don't see why PC games are cheaper anyway, considering they get mod tools and more updates than console players...

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
id say torrent time, but they will just pull out of PC altogether, they dont care...

pre owned time for everyone it seems!..but then whos gonna buy it new...idiots probably, yay for idiots! and boo for idiots...

TheCameraman

Jun 8, 2009
Ah well, it's only Modern Warfare. Wasn't going to buy it anyway, so I'm indifferent.

And I didn't like activision anyway. >_>

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oy vey voy.

The sad part is, only the minority of video game geeks (I.E. us) will care enough to not buy it.

Activision is pissing me off...

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
oliveira8 said:
No no, the game doesn't cost more, now it costs the same at it's console counter-parts, whereas before it was cheaper on PC. Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?

The AI

Jun 24, 2009
I think the word "FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-" just about sums it up. D:<

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
I'll be interested to see how much piracy this game gets hit with. Activision is testing the waters right now for higher prices across the board. If this game sells well, expect to see higher prices on ALL of their upcoming titles.

Baby Tea said:
No no, the game doesn't cost more, now it costs the same at it's console counter-parts, whereas before it was cheaper on PC. Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
Well it has been that way for a couple of years now, so obviously for some reason the PC version is cheaper somewhere along the line. If it really cost them the same amount of money to make the PC version as the console version, then there never would have been a difference in price. Activision just sees a way to increase their profit margin, its as simple as that.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
I will laugh if this game turns out to be a complete flop. In fact, I think I'll laugh so much I won't be standing up a few days.

Not that it's going to happen, but at least I can hope.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
Essentially because they don't have to pay any of the revenue to a specific console maker. A large portion of game profit always goes to Sony, or nintendo, or microsoft. But that's not needed for a PC game.

So They will be making more off it than the console version, even if we don't pay more.

But then, this could make PC game prices soar. I honestly hope now that MW2 gets piss poor OC sales.

Daezd

Mar 1, 2008
KSarty said:
I'll be interested to see how much piracy this game gets hit with. Activision is testing the waters right now for higher prices across the board. If this game sells well, expect to see higher prices on ALL of their upcoming titles.
And what's worse? More developers will begin doing the same.

I really do want to see how hard they get hit with piracy though, if only because it will send them a message. But that message will surely be soon forgotten when they see their console numbers.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Baby Tea said:
Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
Essentially because they don't have to pay any of the revenue to a specific console maker. A large portion of game profit always goes to Sony, or nintendo, or microsoft. But that's not needed for a PC game.

So They will be making more off it than the console version, even if we don't pay more.

But then, this could make PC game prices soar. I honestly hope now that MW2 gets piss poor OC sales.
I still say that makes it fair.
Now the prices are even across the board. The fact that they may get more money from it doesn't deter from the fact that console owners have been paying more for games. Now it's even, which is only fair for everyone.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Why should PC gamers get games for 10 dollars cheaper than their console counterparts? It's not like the content of the game is different on the PC: in fact, the argument can be made that PC games are worth MORE due to modding tools.

Of course, many will use this as an attempt to justify pirating a copy instead of paying the extra ten bones for it. I would say that these people have holes in their heads, as this justifies the spread of DRM.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Tom Goldman said:

Just when we think games are all about fun and ... games, something comes along to remind us that they are a business, after all: Modern Warfare 2 for the PC will be priced slightly higher in line with the current console pricing structure.

$59.99 is now the normal price for console games, but those that prefer a computer have thus far have been lucky enough to avoid a similar rise in price on PC titles. While this is perhaps done as some sort of incentive to encourage PC gamers to keep supporting the platform, it may not last for too much longer.

Modern Warfare 2 will buck the trend and be priced at a full $59.99 according to retail outlets like Best Buy and Amazon. It does not appear to be isolated to just one retailer, as is the case with the Wii MotionPlus and other accessories being priced $5 higher at GameStop [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696597/GameStop-Customer-Service-Rep-Apologies-For-MotionPlus-Price-GougingSort-Of.html].

Sure, Modern Warfare 2 is predicted to be one of the biggest selling titles of all time, so this isn't necessarily going to spread throughout the rest of the new release section. The desire to profit just a tad more (or 20% more) is an infectious disease that is easily caught, however.

[Source: IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1015622p1.html]]

I guess Activision just hates you.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
scotth266 said:
Why should PC gamers get games for 10 dollars cheaper than their console counterparts? It's not like the content of the game is different on the PC: in fact, the argument can be made that PC games are worth MORE due to modding tools.

Of course, many will use this as an attempt to justify pirating a copy instead of paying the extra ten bones for it. I would say that these people have holes in their heads, as this justifies the spread of DRM.
As explained earlier in this thread, it costs more to release games on consoles rather than PC because part of the profits go to the console manufacturer. PC developers don't have that problem, so the price didn't go up.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Jumplion said:
Oy vey voy.

The sad part is, only the minority of video game geeks (I.E. us) will care enough to not buy it.

Activision is pissing me off...
Activision has been pissing me off since before you were born... *grumbles*

Seriously though, you are right. And I will not buy the game. It's a sequel too, another reason not to buy it...

The only sequels I've ever bought, while having bought the first game, are Jak 2 & 3... And Final Fantasy X-2, but that game was so vastly different from Final Fantasy X; I don't really consider it a sequel.

MasterStratus

Oct 19, 2008
Boo-fucking-hoo, now you have to pay the same price as everyone else.
I can tell that piracy for this game is going to skyrocket, because of people who complain about shit like this.
"Oh no, an extra ten dollars!
Now I have to go pirate it, and it's all Activision's fault!"
Man the fuck up.
Honestly.
All they're doing is making the prices even.