Modern Warfare 2 Recalled in Russia

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Sulu said:
are you somehow trying to say that all this is bad? If Russia backed Georgia you know for a fact that the USA would back south ossetia.
I'm saying that Russia aren't the outspoken defenders of self-determination, protecting a weaker nation with no thought of their own benefit or profiteering. Moscow's hands are just as grubby as Tbilisi's. The conflict isn't for South Ossetia's independence, no one cares about that; its for who gets to annex it.

FluffyNeurosis

Oct 22, 2009
I have to agree with Ivan it?s an evil plot by the Yankee devils! Really tho I?m surprised Russia said anything about this because it will only remind people(and by people I mean me) of the movie theater incident with the sleepy gas and hilarious Russian incompetence. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis

blxtnsq

Nov 12, 2009
Can Australia volunteer to be the next 'bad guy'? We're under-represented in games as it is :p

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Armitage Shanks said:
Sulu said:
are you somehow trying to say that all this is bad? If Russia backed Georgia you know for a fact that the USA would back south ossetia.
I'm saying that Russia aren't the outspoken defenders of self-determination, protecting a weaker nation with no thought of their own benefit or profiteering. Moscow's hands are just as grubby as Tbilisi's. The conflict isn't for South Ossetia's independence, no one cares about that; its for who gets to annex it.
Mighty right, gov'na! Although Georgians did invade first, Russia wouldn't have acted the way they did if not for their interest in the region. But that's just the way the politics work -- there is no country in the would help another out of simple good will and amity, RF and US are not an exclusion.
The Chechen president, backed by the Russian government, is a bloodthirsty bandit (they called themselves "field commanders") and would be a potential terrorist threat if his clan wasn't given complete control over the region.
The Georgian president, backed by NATO as a countermeasure against RF, is a man who has a history of physically eliminating any and all opposition in the government. And it just so happens that he really REALLY wants Osetian territory and believes that he has all the rights to it -- something native South Osetians strongly disagree with.

Ugh, politics.

Anyway, the reaction of Russian conservative media and some gamers was predictable -- it's the same way US natives would have reacted if you played a terrorist gunning down American citizen and then playing as the Russian military defending against an American invasion.

-----------------------

My own opinion about this debacle as an Ukrainian with Russian roots:
The set-up for the invasion of US was a pretty poor one, it kind of makes you think that the Russians are just sitting there waiting for the right chance to invade America... Relax people, even if the current RF military was capable of this (which it clearly isn't -- they've barely managed the Georgians), they're much more interested in the former USSR countries -- US land is too far to be of any immediate interest. Getting sidetracked here...
Gunning down the Russian military while playing as an American soldier was a bit unpleasant (it felt as if I could end up on the other side of the gun barrel in such a situation), but if all missions against Russians were by SAS it'd feel a bit better -- I can't hold anything against UK and its citizen, the unapologetic Anglophile that I am.
Thanks to the former SAS being the heroes of the game I was left with a generally positive impression of MW2.

LopezMeister

Apr 13, 2009
flaming_squirrel said:
LopezMeister said:
Put it this way, if say, a UK developer (or even a Russian one) were to make a high profile game that showed the American Army as warmongers commiting bad deeds, people in the US would be pretty pissed off. Yes it is just a game and yes they are just fictional terrorists but people are very impressionable.
You mean like CoD:MW 2? (without the Uk developer, obviously)
Touché, what I mean though is a game where the US aren't even being the "good guys". Raping an pillaging and stuff like that. Even if it doesn't annoy the gamers it's bound to get the general population in an up-roar, definitely once fox jumps on the bandwagon (or starts it rolling).

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
LaBarnes said:
Sparrow said:
To be honest, if America was portrayed in a game as the "bad guys" (Heh, yeah right.) for no real explained reason, YOU'D BE PISSED TOO.
Okay, someone's gotta point out the flawed reasoning that fuels this ignorance.
Wow. Did you even read my spoiler?

Russia are the bad guys for NO REASON. America on the other hand are given their title of well recieved Douches Of The Year because they try to, oh gee I dunno', fool the world into thinking America are the good folks even though they steal some intel to make it look that way, and kill two of the most well designed characters in the game. (Roach is well designed, even though you see nothing of him. There are big hints.)

Russia on the other hand are the bad guys because... well. There's no reason. Hence, why they're allowed to be pissed.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
Well, thats another country who are raging about MW2, time to add another to the list.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Major Tom said:
RebelRising said:
Well, I'm confused; I thought those terrorists (as well as the ones in the first game) were Chechens. Can somebody clear this up for me?
No, the baddies in CoD4 were Russians. They are an ultranationalist (I still don't understand what that means) group that wanted to return Russia to the 'glory days' of the USSR. Apparently they had enough support to start a civil war (again, don't ask me. I only found out that there was a civil war the other day, I can't remember any mention of it during CoD4 at all). They were operating out of bases in the Ukraine and Azerbaijan, apparently without interference from those governments (patently silly ideas, as both these countries would be hunting them down an kicking them out, and would be none too pleased with any foreigners popping in to have a war. Especially Russians).
Weird. They had Chechen accents and outfits, but they were still Russians. That Hammer and Sickle symbol for their team also confused me. It's like they were confusing two things together.

Ah well, I'm getting too worked up over this. Thanks for the explanation, anyways.

shotgunbob

Mar 24, 2009
In America Game fight government

In Soviet Russia Government fight game

A pretty lame joke but seriously?

dwoo21

Aug 30, 2009
Wow, I'm not moving to Russia nor will I ever. It is a violent level but to ban the game is just cruel.

ERadical

Aug 30, 2009
Hey at least they don't kill any Russians. They have morals and rep their country, it should be seen as a positive mission ;)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
But since some people here still actually think WE attacked Georgia...
Lolwut? Anyone who still thinks that either only has access to biased news from bias-town (or tabloids, alternatively), or can't be arsed to watch/read real news.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
if it was not wanting to kill russians in the airport sceane, fine. this is just plain stupid.

PezNic

Jan 7, 2009
Warbygen said:
Can Australia volunteer to be the next 'bad guy'? We're under-represented in games as it is :p
Hell yeah! lets bomb america with our handful of F1-11's and F18's and then get absolutely cut down by a larger and more technologically advanced military. (note that i am in no way admitting that the US military is better trained)

Then again our SAS is one of the best in the world, gurilla warfare within american territory would be awesome. But then again as we would be the bad guys so we wouldnt get to play as AU. Personally i want a game where the americans are the bad guys and we get to kick their ass,
MW2 doesnt count cause that's basically a rogue general and his troops, the american people arent the bad guys, he is.

CnC:Generals:ZH spoiler
tho they weren't the bad guys, at least they didnt save the day like every other game cause they got their ass handed to them by terrorists

blxtnsq

Nov 12, 2009
That wou
PezNic said:
Warbygen said:
Hell yeah! lets bomb america with our handful of F1-11's and F18's and then get absolutely cut down by a larger and more technologically advanced military. (note that i am in no way admitting that the US military is better trained)

Then again our SAS is one of the best in the world, gurilla warfare within american territory would be awesome. But then again as we would be the bad guys so we wouldnt get to play as AU. Personally i want a game where the americans are the bad guys and we get to kick their ass,
MW2 doesnt count cause that's basically a rogue general and his troops, the american people arent the bad guys, he is.

CnC:Generals:ZH spoiler
tho they weren't the bad guys, at least they didnt save the day like every other game cause they got their ass handed to them by terrorists
That would be so cool! Guerilla warefare in Australia would be fun. You wouldn't need mines or anything, just let them get poisoned to death by all the freaking snakes.
Ah... if only there was a game where you could play as evil Aussies. I would die a happy woman.