Modern Warfare 2 Recalled in Russia

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
saw this coming tbh...

yes the level is appalling, no its not real, the russians doing the act do not work for their government and as such do not reflect russia as a whole

the story is utterly rediculous, but i can understand russias upset, it does play more like a cold war era bond movie, especially since it ends up with russia invading the fucking US

its astoundingly anti-russian, but is not real..

they really didnt think the game through before release, i mean seriously, they didnt think so much on the controversy of releasing it on fucking rememberance day either...

Spike9

Nov 7, 2009
flaming_squirrel said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
flaming_squirrel said:
But then Russia went miles overboard.
What should we do then? We've just made sure that Georgia leaves South Osetia alone, that's it. They've assaulted a peaceful town and attacked our peacemakers, what do you suggest - we should have waited for them to regroup and attack Osetia again?
Trying to justify super agressive 'defence' through fear of mighty Georgia attacking the WHOLE RUSSIAN ARMY? That's really likely to happen.

No one is saying that Georgia tried to take on the WHOLE RUSSIAN ARMY, thats just plainly stupid. Due to Georgia's very near entry into NATO (which was put forward by Bush) and the well-known close military ties with America (American troops had been training Georgian troops days before the Artillery bombardment), Saakashvili thought his actions would not be physically opposed by the Russians.

'Overreacted.' o_O Saakashvili ordered an indiscriminate artillery bombardment on a civilian village! Killing both civilians, which the Russians were there to protect from massacres carried out in the past by the Georgians, and Russian peace keepers. If you take some time to read some independent news, you'll hear the stories of the masses of South Osetian civilians crossing into Russia in order to escape another Georgian genocide. Yet with the killing of peace keepers and another massacre of civilians, Russia did not remove the regime.

If America was in Russia position, Tbilisi would be in ruins, Georgia would be occupied and Saakashvili would be dead.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
It's all very simple. Things get banned because they are uncomfortable. Things are uncomfortable because they might reveal something. Now, if a nation with one if the largest propaganda machines, finds this game offensive, i can't help but feel there's something to hide. Some self-told lies about their own self-image.

hotdogoctopus

Jun 16, 2009
You and me both. Way to fail Russia.

Wait, if the role was reversed, America's whiny ass would try and sue Russia. Oh Well.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
It's out - damn near fucking everyone who knows about this game has at least heard about this stupid level, and recalling these games is just going to be wasted effort and it will all be in vain. The buzz is out, everyone is going to hear about this level and they are going to be curious, and they will find clips of it, etc.

This day of age, if it's on the internet - you aren't taking it back.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I wonder how long it'll take for Australia will do the same thing.

Anyway, if they think this sets Russia in a negative light, they haven't looked their own country properly. But then again, self-reflection isn't man's strongest point, far from it.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Never thought I would be sad to be Russian, but this has done it for me. Everyone has to get shown in a bad light somehow all the time.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Sparrow said:
To be honest, if America was portrayed in a game as the "bad guys" (Heh, yeah right.) for no real explained reason, YOU'D BE PISSED TOO.

Seriously. Step off of Russia. I'd be pissed if England were terrorists for no explained reason, and so would you.

As a side note, I sat and laughed for about five minutes after a squad of two British people took out what was effectively the entire American Spec Ops army. God bless you, Infinity Ward.
Umm... No? I dont care what gets portraied as the "bad guys".
American, iranian, english, german or even danish(Me being danish).
Its a game, and thats all there is to it.

Red, blue, purple or black, YOU SHALL ALL BURN THE SAME! Muahahahahaahahah!

RoseBridge

Oct 27, 2009
VanityGirl said:
It's kind of understandable; to a point. Russia wants the US to look past the Cold War era and move on to a friendlier open relationship where we are free to rely on one another. I'm sure Russia doesn't want to be slandered in any way. Although it can be said "Oh, it's just a video game", it's also the highest selling video game right now. Millions and Millions of people will be paying this and seeing the 'evil Russian terrorists' may reflect a bad light on them.That's how they proably feel.

I for one think the airport scene is interesting and I couldn't actually shoot any civilians. I felt bad, damn guilty feelings. I understand the scene can set the tone for the video game, whch is why I have no problem with it.
I could see how the Russians may have took offense though.
yeah I didn't shoot people either except the riot shield police, though the airport scene is pretty powerful since your forced to walk threw the first part of it, though the real kicker is the ending to that level.
As for Russians being upset, I would too even if just a little if I was Russian, its a high selling game where Russian terrorist are the bad guys with exception of the super spoiler near the end of the game. It however is geared to an American audience.

caprisun

Nov 8, 2009
Lol cant blame them at all. love the game but it makes the us out 2 b some sort of nation of heros and russia out 2 b a nation of evil villans. like theyre obviously not gonna b happy lol rite?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
So this game which depicts the American capitol in ruins is lauded in the USA, while Russia bans it for not portraying their terrorists favourably enough...

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
flaming_squirrel said:
My favourite part about MW1+2 is how the Americans get completely and utterly buttfucked both times, resulting in the British SAS crew to save the day.
I know, I love it too. Then again, the SAS are the best in the world at what they do, and I don't see any reason to deny their awesomeness at all.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
I have already said this once and i will say it again: Creating that level was a stupid stupid thing to do and it was extremely obvious that something like this would happen as a result. I wander if Infinity award has any common sense in there heads.

Yes, you can talk all you want about how the scene is not offensive and stuff but that's not the point i am trying to make here. The point i am trying to make is that including a level like that in the game is more or less an insurance that it will cause a public outcry and bans, and that's bad for there sales and reputation. But instead Infinity award just ignored common sense and just assumed nobody would care.
What are you talking about?

The complete opposite is true...they would have included the scene in order to maximize profit due to public outcry. It's something GTA has been doing for a while. To quote (somewhat) MoveBob "You really think the artists over at Rockstar cry when they see their work being criticized? Of course not - that was their intention".

No publicity is bad publicity - and getting the game into high profile areas such as newspapers, talk shows and generally other places video-games are rarely seen was a good idea. The fact is Infinity Ward know a hell off a lot more about making games and the gaming market than you or I (so it's kinda amusing your claiming they have no common sense whilst simultaneously making a massive assumption you understand the gaming market better than the biggest game publisher in the business...)

The fact is, this scene got the game a ridiculous amount of extra publicity since it "leak". The mission was obviously carefully planned - heck, they even included an option to skip it - they knew there would be a public outcry and included this in the manner they did for two reasons (I believe):

1. To increase the drama in the story.
2. To increase publicity and sales.

They planned it - don't be so naive.

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
To be fair, this is the same Russia that, a few months ago, banned schools teaching children that Stalin was a bad guy, and changed their history textbooks so that everything he did, including killing more people with camps and starvation than the Germans did, was for the greater good, and he should be celebrated as a hero.

After that, I couldn't give a fuck what they think.

If they can celebrate Stalin as a hero and laud what he did, and then complain about a game that has a fictional plot where Russian terrorists sponsored by an American general shoot civilians, they are not only hypocrites, but stupid and ignorant.

LaBarnes

Oct 23, 2009
Sparrow said:
To be honest, if America was portrayed in a game as the "bad guys" (Heh, yeah right.) for no real explained reason, YOU'D BE PISSED TOO.
Okay, someone's gotta point out the flawed reasoning that fuels this ignorance.
Did no one realize that the Americans are revealed to be the real bad guys? Russia discovers that the US is involved with this extraordinarily violent terrorist, and as a result, they fuck America's shit up. Reasonable reaction to a civilian slaughter, I would say.

America, on the other hand, betrays and murders allied agents (TF141 members) and essentially precipitate war on purpose to piss off the American people enough to support a war. This represents America's foreign policy since the Spanish-American War to present day. Is everyone to fucking stupid to see who IW is really jabbing at?

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
LaBarnes said:
Sparrow said:
Okay, someone's gotta point out the flawed reasoning that fuels this ignorance.
Did no one realize that the Americans are revealed to be the real bad guys? Russia discovers that the US is involved with this extraordinarily violent terrorist, and as a result, they fuck America's shit up. Reasonable reaction to a civilian slaughter, I would say.

America, on the other hand, betrays and murders allied agents (TF141 members) and essentially precipitate war on purpose to piss off the American people enough to support a war. This represents America's foreign policy since the Spanish-American War to present day. Is everyone to fucking stupid to see who IW is really jabbing at?
Apparently so, and that makes me a sad panda.

Why do people bash stuff they don't understand? I have never gotten that.