Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3, I can't decide 'cause I'm stoopid!

Sharkeyboi

May 19, 2009
I want to play one of these games... but which one. My experience tells me that Call of Duty games are solid experiences and a headquarters for fun times online... but my eyes tell me that Battlefield 3 looks f*cking epic. Well they both look pretty good.

There's been an awful lot of mud slinging in regards with this topic and not just from video game players but from the publishers too. He said this, they said that. That information is out there.

I want to play a solid FPS and these two seem to be the big ones soon to be released. I just don't want to bet on the wrong horse 'cause I'm trying to save money. Help out an old soul escapist community. Heck it could be beneficial to a lot of readers who have one leg on either side of the fence. I know I'm not alone here and my balls are beginning to ache.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I'm not going to choose for you, because then there's a 50% chance I'd get it wrong.

Call of Duty is an arcade shooter. It's a shallow, yet solid and entertaining experience, and quite addictive. It's good, simple fun.

Battlefield is a teamwork shooter done on an epic scale. That's where you get helicopters circling overhead emptying missile silos into each other while tanks and infantry clash explosively on the ground. And all of that action is organic.

As far as I can tell, any other differences between the two games are superficial, and not worth worrying about.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
If you're getting it for PC, get MW3 because it doesn't make your computer it's *****.
If you're getting it for console, get whatever you feel like.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Whether you play on PC or Console seems fairly important.

Personally, I wouldn't touch BF3 on a Console.
It's just not a real Battlefield game with such limited player numbers.

In the end, I imagine I might end up buying both. Yes, I spend too much time in front of this screen.

But, if I had to choose, I'd take BF3 on PC any day.

I've never had remotely the same fun in any CoD game as I had playing BF2, or the BF3 Alpha for that matter.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Looking at the newest gameplay trailers for both of them, it's looking like they're both becoming more interchangeable. Only difference is BF has vehicles and destructible environments, MW doesn't.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Here, decide for yourself-

I won't say that the choice is obvious, but...

Sharkeyboi

May 19, 2009
Yeah, I'll likely be getting one of them for my console. I'm leaning towards Battlefield but... this may seem silly, or wholly justified depending on your outlook, I really don't like EA at the moment. I don't want that to get in the way of playing what looks to be a great game but they seem to be capital R Retarded at the moment what with their new digital delivery thingame. I won't have to install Origin if I play it on a console, will I?
I just can't stand adding another account to my roster. I think I saw above someone mentioned that wasn't going to be an issue on consoles but I wasn't sure. There was really no way I was going to use COD Elite anyway.

Still on the fence, still have sore balls...

Ohlawdylawdy

Feb 28, 2011
If I could only choose one i'd have to go with BF3 because I simply have more fun playing it. With destructible environments and vehicles there is more variety and you don't have to deal with COD's community. Don't get me wrong I love playing the COD games with friends but I use the mute button a lot.

This is just my opinion though and you should go with whatever games you think your friends are going to buy/play more.

ReaperGrimm

Jun 2, 2011
Here is my plan get BF3 October 25th and get MW3 later when it's cheaper and the bugs are patched.

J4RD

I didn't pay for this?
Jan 4, 2010
If you're asking the Escapist community, odds are you'll end up with BF3. There seems to be a lot of CoD hate here.

OT: Both Battlefield and Call of Duty are great series. I'd say it comes down to what sort of shooter you want.

On the one hand, CoD is more infantry based, lone-wolfing it. Shooting other dudes is the only string to it's bow, but it does it well, and aside from some balancing issues, it has very polished gameplay. It also seems to take itself much less seriously (Looking at you, throwing knife. You too, akimbo weapons!) This isn't really a bad thing, but it does take away from the "realism" if you care.

On the other hand, Battlefield has a much larger scale, and includes vehicles. You really don't know what you'll end up doing in any given game. You could go in intending to snipe, but realize you're needed more on a UAV or in the gunner seat of a chopper. There's a lot more things to do, but there's still a good number of bugs in Bad Company 2, even 2 years after it's release.

Of the two, CoD is more polished, but Battlefield is vastly more varied. Neither one is better than the other, it just comes down to what you want out of the game.

Sharkeyboi

May 19, 2009
Phlakes said:
Here, decide for yourself-

I won't say that the choice is obvious, but...
Aaaah, so pretty (both of them).
Battlefield seems to place its emphasis on Team work but Modern Warfare has fucking remote controlled helicopters!!!!

It's starting to look like I'll be getting both regardless of what the little accountant in my head says. If nothing else this much is certain... I'll be shooting guns at peoples heads.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Modern Warfare will get old.. probably after a month or two.
Everyone will figure out the glitches, cheap classes/combos and such by then.

Battlefield 3 will probably keep you entertained for 3-4 months, until something similar happens.

Get Modern Warfare first.
Going into Modern Warfare 3-4 months after launch is just a bad idea.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
The choice is yours.

CoD rapes your Wallet.

Battlefield 3 Will is origin to Rape you personal information.

However if both of them didn't rape something, Get both, because they are two different genres of modern fps, one is a close quarters pick up game, the other is a large map tactical shooter, with vehicles and whatnot.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People will give you more entertainment than all the mainstream FPS games possibly can.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
how about you get them both?
thats what i plan on doing...no really
MW3= same engine new gameplay
BF3= better graphics.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
If you're getting it for PC, then get Red Orchestra 2. I decided not to get either one of this years most anticipated FPS games. Why? Well because it's all marketing and no fun. Somehow, these big companies manage to squeeze every last drop of real fun from games, by adding unnecessary shit that's supposed to make you feel like you're getting more for your money. Yeah, in a way you do get more. More frustrations.

Sharkeyboi

May 19, 2009
XT inc said:
The choice is yours.

CoD rapes your Wallet.

Battlefield 3 Will is origin to Rape you personal information.

However if both of them didn't rape something, Get both, because they are two different genres of modern fps, one is a close quarters pick up game, the other is a large map tactical shooter, with vehicles and whatnot.
I'll probably be playing them on my console. Will I still need to make an account with origin or is that just for PC users?