Modular Xbox 360 Controller Fabricated With Bag of Rice

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I think it's fantastic that they're doing this. I know a guy who was pretty good at halo (not fantastic, but alright) and he played one handed because one arm was paralyzed, and it was just awkward for him to use a normal controller.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I hate to be the token cynic here, but does anyone else get the feeling that a controller like this will either get patent lawsuits for using MS parts, or NXE updated out of functionality, all to push Natal as usual? MS has shown that it can be exactly that kind of rotten before :/

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Ergodex DX1 [http://www.ergodex.com/mainpage.htm]
and the Multi Function Panel (MFP) from chproducts: A custom keyboard that allows the user to place keys anywhere on the board and assign what-ever function to which-ever key.

It's awesome that a group of people out there is trying to do the same thing to gaming controllers.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I think it's great that a hobby like Gaming is becoming more and more accessible to everyone. I mean, really, gaming isn't about physical capabilities anyway, mostly about thinking, planning, timing, and reflexes, most of which a handicapped person is still able to do, given the right controller.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I can picture it now.
2 years from now: First handicapped controller released in the market, huge success.
3 years from now: Companies respond to the popularity with a wave of fully customizable controllers. They're so customizable that Steven Hawking begins playing games (and causing people to rage quit) while simultaneously causing other researchers to rage quit on their theories on black holes. I'm sure Steve Jobs would make something like the "ijoystick" for consoles, and it won't be a stick at all but a controller for some odd reason.
3.2 years from now: Controllers integrate perfectly with home computers and games, one less thing for people to moan about when arguing about consoles vs personal computers.
4 years from now: When me and my friends go to look up "builds" it's literally builds for controllers.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
This is great! There was a disabled friendly -- actually, quadriplegic friendly -- controller for the NES [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/05/the-disabled-friendly-nes-controller-from-the-1980s/], but I always thought that modern consoles were too complex to allow for this sort of thing. It really makes me happy to see someone trying to expand the hobby in a way that allows people with limited mobility to play.

Americow

Aug 26, 2009
That is quite a clever idea, glad to see some innovation in that market. I want this for myself just for the hell of it, looks like fun!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
arc1991 said:
Aenir said:
Tom Goldman said:
The bag-of-rice controller is great for disabled people that want to game, but it could also be good for controller design in general. It's unorthodox, but what if Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo came up with a controller that we could rebuild for every game? Something like that could be a similar, but different step from the motion gaming phase we're about to see the entire industry enter this year, and one that a more hardcore gamer could possibly get behind.
Eh. I'll stick to my Keyboard/Mouse.
good luck working them if you had a disability =P
Actually there are already a ton of accessories to make computing and PC using easier for disabled people. It's about time something was done for consoles. Once again it requires the amateur sector to come up with it(brilliantly as well). Can't expect the big 3 to spend money on such a thing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Shrugging your shoulder triggers the shoulder button"

What if it's one of those games where you have to pull the trigger over and over and over and over and over to shoot?

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
Icehearted said:
I hate to be the token cynic here, but does anyone else get the feeling that a controller like this will either get patent lawsuits for using MS parts, or NXE updated out of functionality, all to push Natal as usual? MS has shown that it can be exactly that kind of rotten before :/
As far as using MS parts to build the controller I would say that in small scale production where you are basically just building them for a few people and particularly with a prototype MS can't really do anything. IF they get to a point where they want to step it up I am pretty sure that the basic functions of a microsoft controller aren't exactly patentable. plain buttons that click and thumbsticks that click that just look different from Xbox and obviously no issues with the controller shape considering they completely changed that. So overall I'd say they are on to something. Also this along with Natal could be exactly what is needed to create more accessibility. There are many people who might like to play video games that don't even have use of anything below their neck so natal could be programmed to sense eye movements as controller motions. There is a lot of ingenuity out there and it will continue no matter what companies like MS do.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
So the "shoulder" buttons are literally shoulder buttons? Ha!

Seriously, a very cool idea. I love seeing genius applied in ways like this to really help people out.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
To think some games don't allow you to even define the buttons any more. I mean, when you're spending 6 months adding more lens flare and shiny bits to distant bits of scenery no-one will glance at twice, why not give one trainee guy a few days to build a 'configure controls' menu, and while you're at it, a colour blind mode won't kill you, and to a lesser extent as many games do feature it now, subtitles.

Every thing you do to make a game more accessible to more people, directly turns into sales, surely?

As for the shoulder button sometimes being used as a fire button, as they said, all buttons are utterly redefinable.

Damn showing my age, you 'redefine keys' on ZX Spectrum games, you 'configure controls' this decade :D

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
That's actually really cool. Why can't we spend more time on doing practical stuff like this instead of Project Natal or silly motion controls?
Can you argue with the Nintendo's profits?
V8 Ninja said:
Nice to see people who are thinking about the group of people that can't really play games.
The funny thing is, the people who physically cannot play games like this are the people who I would expect want to play them more than anyone else.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I support this idea fully.

Being able to customize your controller layout would be sweet. The only problem would be making sure it didn't fall apart since I game hard, often putting stress on the controller.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Mozza444 said:
Great for disabled people as the video explains, I'm sure video games as a form of escapism is a god send for somebody that is bed-bound.
Trust me, it is. When I was stuck in bed at the hospital from my stroke my DS and PSP were the only things that kept me sane even if I couldn't use the face buttons very well (if at all).

Edit: That's also why I was an early fan of the Wii, sure it was (and is) a lot of waggling, but when you don't have full use of your extremities, it's a lot easier than trying to press buttons you can't feel.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Good to see somebody trying to help disabled people. Where are Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo when it comes to things like these?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Wow, I came pretty close to having my arm amputated two years ago so I'm in full support of this.

Why didn't I think of this?, oh yeah I'm an idiot thats why.

Irridium said:
Able to assign any function to any button?

When can we expect these?
I'm with Irridium and his avatar thats currently dancing to Flobots No Handlebars, this is good for people without disabilaties, it would have completely negated people moaning about KillZone and not being able customise the control scheme.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
lacktheknack said:
"Shrugging your shoulder triggers the shoulder button"

What if it's one of those games where you have to pull the trigger over and over and over and over and over to shoot?
I'm thinking they're talking about the left and right bumper buttons, above the trigger buttons on the 360 controller. Also if these buttons really needed continuous clicking at some point, maybe add some kind of turbo button to the controller? I wouldn't consider it cheating if there's handicapped people out there who can't actually press the same button in rapid succession because of their disability. They should also be able to do those QTEs.
That being said there's always the fully customisable button system, so you can change the function of one of the easier-to-quickly-press buttons to the function of one of the shoulder buttons.