Mojang and Bethesda Are Going to Court

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Simeon Ivanov said:
What happened to the Quake Deathmatch?
Bethesda decided to be mean and didn't respond to the challenge.

OT: "Using screenshots to prove that gamers are likely to confuse [the two games]"

There's no question mark big enough to depict my confusion.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
People need to quit saying it's just the lawyers. The lawyers can send all the letters, but they can't take things to court with the parent company's consent.

Just like if you don't want to press charges on someone if they committed a crime against you, your lawyer can't go rogue and do it.

Quit making excuses.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I really hope Mojang can knock Bethesda down a few notches. I really dislike Minecraft, but I don't want the bully to win! :/

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Lol Are Bethseda nuts? They're not going to win this, Scrolls is nothing like Elder scrolls. Quit being whiners, only 15+ (usually) gamers play your games anyway and we're not retarded enough to confuse them.

I really hope some sensible executive in Bethseda realizes what's going down soon and slaps their overeager lawyers with a fish fast.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Do yourselves a favor Bethesda, when you lose this case, and you probably will, smack Zenimax around some and get them to go put their heads back up their asses and leave you guys to your own devices.

Or to, at the very least, not use your name in lawsuits.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I've heard about someone from Mojang offering a Quake Deathmatch solution to this problem. That would have been a lot better and fans would love it which is more important. It could also encourage others to do the same. But no, Bethesda had to be a lesser man, as usual. Their myopia is fascinating. Gamers will never confuse anything with The Elder Scrolls. We call it TES or [insert undertitle].

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
The stupidity of the case itself aside, I don't get how they expect to demonstrate that people are likely to get the two confused either. I'm not sure I've ever heard an Elder Scrolls game referred to as "Elder Scrolls + #", but rather they tend to only be known by their title, ie: Oblivion, Skyrim, etc...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
Good for Bethesda.

I hope they get to see Mojang driven before them.
What? I...just...huh? I can't even begin to comprehend the logic.

"Go big corporation with no leg to stand on! Win this case you have no business winning because I have an irrational hate of something!"

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
According to Kaplan, Bethesda's lawyers plan to use user comments about Scrolls videos, articles about the game and even screen shots to prove that gamers are likely to confuse Scrolls with the Elder Scrolls franchise.
Rofl, so essentially Bethesda plan to present a load of quotes of various people being sarcastic and proving how hysterical this case is? That should be interesting court case to watch....

"As you can see here, Trololo87 says, 'So @notch, is Scrolls an expansion of Oblivion lol'. Clearly this shows how easily misled gamers are..."

alexb111

Dec 23, 2009
Even the 'No Win, No Fee have you had an accident at work' lawyers wouldn't take this case, could it be any more feeble. Anyhow, all that I would say has been said except:

Anyone else come to the conclusion that Bethesda just want extra publicity for Skyrim??

Ok its pretty damn low but lets face it:
1) Its Bethesda
2) Their odds off winning the court case are less than the odds of them actually having the Quake3 war.
3) Minecraft was very successful and has a very similar RPG element to it so why wouldn't they try to get in just a little more on that market?

jim1398

Nov 26, 2008
According to Kaplan, Bethesda's lawyers plan to use user comments about Scrolls... to prove that gamers are likely to confuse Scrolls with the Elder Scrolls franchise.
Why do I get the feeling that at some point we're going to be seeing stories about how these 'user comments' were posted by people linked to Zenimax and/or Bethesda?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Charli said:
I really hope some sensible executive in Bethseda realizes what's going down soon and slaps their overeager lawyers with a fish fast.
Not to be the one to point out the painfully obvious but it IS the 'sensible' executives that are bringing the case to court.

The lawyers can only do what Bathesda execs tell them to do. They couldn't have made the case without the top dog at Bathesda giving them the nod.

People, stop blaming the lawyers for doing their jobs and start looking at the guys and gals working at Bathesda. It's them that want the court case the lawyers are just doing as they are told.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Bethesda: Pro-Cunts.

Seriously? I mean...

Better sue the Mexicans that name their kids Jesus because 'devoted fans' get confused as to which one to pray to.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
Last I checked you couldn't copyright part of your game title but all of it. So someone quickly make a game called The Elder and see where it goes. I mean who doesn't want to play a 90 old grandpa yelling at children to get off his lawn meanwhile upping his xp to do more crazier shit. Like for instance pouring a bucket of piss all over his porch and sidewalk so the kids won't go on although that would clearly be a tier 3 skill of bat-shit-craziness

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I want to copyright 'of' in that case.

Activision, Epic, Sony and others would all owe me royalties for Call of Duty, Gears of War, God of War.

Oh...and Sony didn't sue Epic over the 'of War' part. I wonder why that is?

I hope that Mojang wins because Bethesda shouldn't own a word.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I don't really care about Mojang, but I hope Bethesda get counter sued and lose a billion for their bullying.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
Charli said:
Not to be the one to point out the painfully obvious but it IS the 'sensible' executives that are bringing the case to court.

The lawyers can only do what Bathesda execs tell them to do. They couldn't have made the case without the top dog at Bathesda giving them the nod.

People, stop blaming the lawyers for doing their jobs and start looking at the guys and gals working at Bathesda. It's them that want the court case the lawyers are just doing as they are told.
Not necessarily, some companies leave their legal department up to the decisions of a few. It won't always be a conscious unanimous decision by the entire board, usually because most of them just don't care enough/are busy, and it is up to the lawyers and legal department to justify their actions to these executives with the proof, they've clearly bullshit enough to get this approved and I find that just utterly laughable.

There is no way you can mistake the two if you even had an inkling of sense.

And there would have to be enough other cases of this, there are far too many games with "like names" where no action has been taken, I get the feeling no judge will touch this with a 10foot long hammer anyway, I can see why Notch is just making smiley faces at the thing.