Mojang Joins Microsoft; Founders Notch, Carl, Jakob Leaving

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Good luck to any projects Notch plans on doing in the future. I am, however, worried that Microsoft will needlessly fuck this up.

Please don't, Microsoft, while you have any ounce of dignity in the gaming world. Because screwing up Minecraft will take more than its dignity.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Mojang's a one trick pony so they are right to sell it for a mountain of money and do whatever they want for the rest of their lives.

Dec 16, 2009
Good on him, who can blame him for taking $2.5 Billion.
plus, who can blame him for wanting to get out of the lime light, the comments (not all) in these threads about him (not just this site) are so toxic.
"-there must be someone to blame for the thing I don't like, and I will disproportionately persecute the man I blame.
-someone offered him $2.5 Billion, for a one hit wonder. He owes me nothing, I think he's a sell out!!!"

well good for him, I'm jealous as hell. Can't see what MS are getting from this. the games probably seen the most out of its sales revenue. although I don't doubt there's merch revenue, I can't see it being $2.5 Billion's worth

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
f1r2a3n4k5 said:
Ok, Notch, Ok. Sure this is about the stress of running a company you seem to really enjoy. And not at all about the fact that Microsoft offered you so much money, that its weight in thousand dollar bills could crush you.

Haha. I don't blame him at all. And you can't just come out and say, "Well, it came down to running a game company or having enough money to declare myself king of a small nation."
Yes, gonna have to go with this.

If I created a game that I no longer was involved with, and someone offered me a huge amount of money to buy it, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

...Huh, guess it's true that everyone has their price.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Frezzato said:
Let this stand as an example that everyone has their price. And I certainly can't blame Notch. I wonder where this leaves his 20-odd employees.

I've never played Minecraft, but I wonder what this would lead to regarding Microsoft product tie-ins and such, like Halo. And where does that leave current customers I wonder. I mean the legality, the mods, the servers, etc.
If you ever met notch youd probably doubt its about the price. he just felt kind of like the guy that does want to be famous. he hated being in the spotlight and everyone expecting him to do everything right. he tried to get away from that with other projects but minecraft kept dragigin him in, so he decided to leave minecraft away. while i was not expecting that, i can understand that.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Darren716 said:
Man all those reference and no classic Ted Dibiase "everyone's got a price"?
Others had already made that reference so I thought I'd not steal their thunder. What people angry need to remember is money talks. Ching Ching, Bling Bling, Cut the Chatter, You ain't talking money, Then your talking don't matter.

Strazdas said:
If you ever met notch youd probably doubt its about the price. he just felt kind of like the guy that does want to be famous. he hated being in the spotlight and everyone expecting him to do everything right. he tried to get away from that with other projects but minecraft kept dragigin him in, so he decided to leave minecraft away. while i was not expecting that, i can understand that.
And you have than? You like one of those CM Punk fans who met the man once and now really "understands" him? Come across many such people in my time so the odds are good on that being the case.
Come on be fair now, treat him like any other. Why is Crytek so evil for "selling out", but he isn't? If you're going to show hate in other threads than make your hate equal opportunity at least.

Oh and so you don't misunderstand I'm not angry at him or any such thing. You should know by now that I see things how they are in reality, I don't attack people for making good business decisions or doing the opposite of what they told their marks[footnote]overzealous fans in this context FYI[/footnote] once upon time.
In fact I'm happy to see that the man really wasn't a mark like I said he wasn't (and others had claimed he was for a long time). Thinking about it...I likely gave him more respect then the majority...funny how that works. I love when these "betrayals" happen Maggle.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
And you have than? You like one of those CM Punk fans who met the man once and now really "understands" him? Come across many such people in my time so the odds are good on that being the case.
Come on be fair now, treat him like any other. Why is Crytek so evil for "selling out", but he isn't? If you're going to show hate in other threads than make your hate equal opportunity at least.
No. i have beehn told this from people who knew him (as in, actually knew him, not just met him once in a convention).

Crytek CEO is acting like a madman all over actually, so yes their case is highly different. your use of hate is also inapropriate to describe my feelings to either of them. stop building strawmen.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
No. i have beehn told this from people who knew him (as in, actually knew him, not just met him once in a convention).

Crytek CEO is acting like a madman all over actually, so yes their case is highly different. your use of hate is also inapropriate to describe my feelings to either of them. stop building strawmen.
So even weaker than I first surmised than...or perhaps just as weak... not much in it if there is a difference so irrelevant I suppose.

Hate, attack, loath, disparage, critique, insert whatever you like than. This "strawman" is basically at its core asking you "why do you treat the two differently?". You recognise this clearly, yet bother with throwing out the word Strawman? Why? There is no bonus points to be had here.

So a madman for like in this case taking what is evaluated as the best business decisions to make. Makes sense.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
This "strawman" is basically at its core asking you "why do you treat the two differently?".
Because the two are different. Notch Person selling his company and going back to do small stuff is not the same thing as Cevat Yerli going around talking nonesense.