Molyneux Outs First Post-Lionhead Project: 22 Experiments

asherdeus

Apr 23, 2012
Molyneux Outs First Post-Lionhead Project: 22 Experiments

Best of all, you might be playing a part of it in six weeks.

In an appearance at Imperial College London's Games and Media Event, famed game creator Peter Molyneux revealed the first information on 22 Experiments, which is coming from his newly-formed studio 22 Cans.

In an exclusive interview with BeefJack's Lewis Denby, a surprisingly tight-lipped Molyneux shared only a few details on the upcoming project. Molyneux says that 22 Cans' goal with the project is to produce "22 experiments that we will release digitally on the journey onto the final product that we're going to make."

How soon might you see some of 22 Cans' work? Denby reports that he was told by Molyneux that the first bit of 22 Experiments could be released in as little as six weeks, though he did not say which platforms the title may release for. While he wouldn't go into particulars about any single experiment, Molyneux told Denby to expect "very very different, unusual, I think very intriguing things."

During his lecture at Imperial College, Molyneux stressed his growing dissatisfaction with directed game experiences. "I am fed up to the back teeth of consuming other people's visions - of directors' and screenwriters' ideas of what a hero should be; of novelists writing stories that they think are good, but I think are rubbish," he told the crowd. "Why can't we have stories about me? I want to have my own unique experiences."

How this frustration might help inform the development of 22 Experiments is anyone's guess, but it certainly suggests that Molyneux is encouraging 22 Cans to think outside of the box.

Source: BeefJack [http://beefjack.com/news/molyneux-reveals-22-experiments-first-game-out-in-six-weeks/]

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Sounds at the very least interesting. Don't get me wrong, the Fable games were very bad for many, many reasons, but I would absolutely be interested in a high-concept experiment by Peter Molyneux.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
In an exclusive interview with BeefJack's Lewis Denby, a surprisingly tight-lipped Molyneux shared only a few details on the upcoming project.
What's your game, Pete? This isn't like you... intriguing...

I will keep an eye on this development like I do with all games in development that I might play: With interest accompanied by focused skepticism.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
The thing about Molyneux's games is: Usually they include some extremely amazing concepts, but are either too complex or overloaded with mundane tasks to ever get really popular. I loved both Black & Whites including their expansions, and still like them, but the replay value is not very high.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
Well I'm waiting to hear whether this is a pay as you go experiment - AKA Game in instalments. If its one of those he can keep it. Aw hell it's Molyneux. Frankly if its free I'd just as soon he kept it. But for all you fans I hope you didn't just become the local dairy cow volunteering for a milking. Or worse yet, the idiot who sat in the dunk tank chair and went for a fall only to get soaked.

I know, its a cynical view. What can I say the game's industry doesn't just make polished turds these days, it seems to make games that reflect the industry... Hell it isn't even a wavy image just straight up, one brass polished turd coming up! Their like line order cooks with that...

PS
I'm out of milk
FU

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Based on Peter's appreciation of Minecraft and it's openness, I have a hunch that he might pull something off this time.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Pretty please? We could use something completely new.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
I read this and though "lol, molyneux"
it could be a game about a block of cheese and the experiences of coming from the cheese factory to the dinner table and it will be a third person adventure shooter rpg with MUD elements

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I think the small budget of an up and coming game studio is just what Molyneux needs to pull off another hit.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Sounds at the very least interesting. Don't get me wrong, the Fable games were very bad for many, many reasons, but I would absolutely be interested in a high-concept experiment by Peter Molyneux.
Same here. It could turn out to be terrible, but I'd still respect the hell out of him for it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I've never been much for Molyneux's games, but I gotta admit, I'm intrigued. I think the Molydeux game jam actually affected him and he's going to just throw some simple off-the-wall stuff out there and see if any of it sticks (assuming "experiments" isn't just Molyspeak for "tweaked alpha builds of the same product", of course).

20+ of the 22 experiments will probably be crap, but if he can get even one genuinely good new idea/mechanic out of it.... I think I want to see how this unfolds. I'll put this one in the "cautiously optimistic" pile.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Flailing Escapist said:
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Please be awesome
Pretty please? We could use something completely new.
it'll either be awesome or horrible. Peter Molyneux usually goes to one end of an extreme or another.

and on that note....

please be awesome

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
Wait a minute, wait a minute... Peter Molyneux kept details secret?! This is... a huge shift. I mean, I'm not complaining, or anything. This IS definitely a massive improvement, but... I'm going to say he's a robot made to look and sound like Peter Molyneux, for... world domination or something.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Molyneux is about as relevant to my gaming existence as I am to a super model's sex life.

You can only offer up so many fantastically overblown flops in a row before I write you off, Peter, and you've delivered that in barrels.