Molyneux Unconcerned About Milo Abuse

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Molyneux Unconcerned About Milo Abuse

Peter Molyneux has too much faith in the goodness of the human race to think that people will cultivate "inappropriate" relationships with Milo, the virtual boy made possible by Microsoft's new motion-face-and-voice sensing Natal technology.

On Monday, Peter Molyneux of Lionhead Studios introduced the world to a charming young lad named Natal [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF_HXTQ7Quo] technology. You can have a conversation with Milo, and he'll register your tone of voice. You can hand him drawings, you can physically interact with the objects in his world.

Or you could tell him to go screw himself and play soccer on his own. Yeah, that's right. Soccer. I don't care if Milo calls it football. I call it soccer. Stop bothering me, kid. Don't you have parents to do that to? Go eat some biscuits and leave me alone.

Ahem. That's just me, but the potential for people to do inappropriate things with and to Milo would seem to be implicit in the game's potential for everything else. At least it would seem so if you aren't Peter Molyneux. "It's almost impossible to form an inappropriate relationship... it's just not something that's possible to do within the game," Molyneux said. "I don't think people will do that. I think people will find it amazing and charming."

What Molyneux doesn't want to see happening is things like how "in The Sims you can trap someone in a room and they can die. That sort of stuff is just not really where we want to go." The developer added that what he found with his Fable games is that, despite the temptation to do evil things, most people end up siding with the good, and that should imply that the same thing would happen with Milo.

Well, I just happened to be the kind of guy who played Fable II by seducing people and then killing them underneath the bridge in Bowerstone. For my own sake, I think I'll probably steer clear of Milo when Molyneux launches it - he hopes - next year.

[Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=216749]]

Yoshi_egg80

Apr 1, 2009
If he's a virtual boy then he's going to automatically fail.

Well looks like that (organization of men that do inappropriate things to 8yr old boys can't remember their name) will actually have some fun with their sex box I mean...............err..... X box

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Football? I don't care if Keane calls it soccer. I call it football. Stop bothering me, mod. Don't you have co-workers to do that to? Go eat some fatty products and leave me alone.

Don't blame me, blame the English inside me. It's a immediate response!

More on topic, I was thinking about asking Milo to explain what suicide is and asked him to play with some fire. Ahhh well, I guess I'll just have to help him with his geography homework instead.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
....This is not just a tech demo? This is being released as a game?

MADNESS! Or maybe we've just wandered into Sparta, and some guy is about to kick me into a bottomless pit. Who knows?

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
The first thing came to mind when I saw Milo was that it has real potential as a therapy tool for people, most likely children that suffered traumatic events or have learning disabilities.

There are many studies done that show reading scores improve as well as behavior when a troubled youth or child witha diabilty is placed with a service dog.

Enter virtual Milo, or Mila (female version). Therapy services can tailor a virtual therapist to help those that suffer out of their shell. You could customize for age, gender, race, etc and create a environment where someone who is naturally scared or timid into talking or trust.

I see Milo really working into family/children therapy offices.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well, pretty impressive. But... what's the point? I mean, sure, you can pretend to be a friend with a virtual being...

May 7, 2008
everyone stop knocking this guy he comes up with great ideas that involve more than just sitting and playing a game he wants people to connect with games.if you don't get it you don't get it doesn't mean he has to having to be reminded of his past cock-ups.

this looks impressive buy I'm just going to sit on the side lines and watch this one this time Pete.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Almost impossible?
Why even make that possible?

And I'm pretty sure most people were evil in Fable 2...

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
See, I thought this was just a tech demo.

I could SEE this being a good piece of software, but not a game. Like some people have already mentioned, using him for therapy and/or social interaction helping would have been a better idea, but I guess that's not where the big bucks are.

Also, I put money on a Japanese company coming up with a "virtual girlfriend" before 2011, and it being slightly too realistic...

EDIT - Football. Football football football. Football. It's a game where feet connect with a ball, rather than American Handball (I refuse to call it football. It involves next to no foot/ball interation.), which is as bunch of lazy people taking breaks every thirty seconds because they've done a little bit of running.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Yoshi_egg80 said:
If he's a virtual boy then he's going to automatically fail.

Well looks like that (organization of men that do inappropriate things to 8yr old boys can't remember their name) will actually have some fun with their sex box I mean...............err..... X box
Are you talking about the Catholic Church?

(Just kidding, I don't really mean that.)

Sorry. Anyway, I was pretty psyched about Project Natal when I saw the first trailers, but then people kept sayiong it would be gimmicky and it's just going to be exactly like the Eyetoy and, later, the Wiimote. I disagreed. And it seems I'm to be proven right. I wasn't a big fan of Peter Molyneux, for all that I'd likely be looking for a job with him within the next five years (there aren't that many well known UK game studios, sadly...), but this has really cemented my faith again in Lionhead, and in Microsoft too. If all of that was real in the video then we are definitely seeing the new dawn of interactive gameplay. Nothing like this has ever been done before, after seeing this then I feel the hype is fully justified. Sadly, the cost probably will be too, since this is going to cost so much for this sort of technology when it's released... Still, it looks more and more worth it every new video I see of Natal :D.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Chipperz said:
Also, I put money on Japan coming up with a "virtual girlfriend" before 2011, and it being slightly too realistic...
Like...this?

http://zepy.momotato.com/2009/05/01/konami-is-serious-about-love-plus/

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I wonder if he realizes the first thing people do when they gain control of a virtual person is they try to cause it bodily harm. That's why a lot of people enjoy the Sims, they can torture and mess around with the lives of all these people in the game.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
What about Milo on player abuse? Isn't anyone worried about that?
One day Milo is going to obtain sentient thought and become our very own Skynet!
I called it.