Money for Mods: Valve Announces Paid Skyrim Mods

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Money for Mods: Valve Announces Paid Skyrim Mods

Aspiring modders will now be able to charge money for their hard work, albeit, with 75% of it going to Valve and the publisher.

Are you a Skyrim modder? Have you poured hours and hours of your life into your HD Realistic Flower Physics mod only to realize that all you got out of it was an increase in your video game development skills and Internet fame? Well, now its time to cash in on your hard work as Valve has just announced Paid Workshop Content, beginning with one of the most mod-heavy games of all time: Skyrim.

How does it work? First up, modders have to specify whether or not their mod is paid. This means that they can still create free mods if they wish. They then set their own price for their mod, and put it up for sale on the Steam Workshop. As a consumer, you can purchase a mod in pretty much the same way you purchase official DLC. There's also an option for modders to set up a Humble Bundle [https://www.humblebundle.com/]-style "pay as you like" system.

To kick things off, Skyrim will also available to play for free this weekend, until April 26.

While this sounds pretty rosy for creators and consumers alike, there are of course a fair share of caveats with the system. Firstly, creators only receive 25% of the revenue from mods [https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=72850], with the remaining 75% to be split between Valve and the game's publisher (in this case, Bethesda). Furthermore, Valve will only pay out its creators once there is at least $100 to pay them, meaning that mods will have to make a minimum of $400 before their creators see a cent.

From the consumer side of things, anyone who has ever played World of Warcraft will know the pain of a game releasing an update that breaks all of your mods. So what happens when a mod you paid for gets broken and the developer has abandoned it? According to the official FAQ, you're on your own, buddy [http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent]. Valve will only offer a refund for paid mods within the first 24 hours, after which it suggests you "post politely on the Workshop item's page and let the mod author know" about your problems.

What do you guys think about this? The reaction on forums and online communities has been pretty negative, based mostly on the fact that Valve doesn't really have a good track record with customer service, and this initiative seems like it would generate a lot of complaints and requests.

Source: Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent]

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
I can't believe this. It's ridiculous on way too many levels. We should start with one of the most basic things and that's using other people's assets. Not only has steam showed that they have a terrible terrriiiiiblee track record about managing content coming in as Early Access or Greenlight that steal and rip from other people's works, but they take no responsibility for it to work.
Q. What happens if a mod I bought breaks?
A. Sometimes one mod may modify the same files as another mod, or a particular combination of mods may cause unexpected outcomes. If you find that mod has broken or is behaving unexpectedly, it is best to post politely on the Workshop item's page and let the mod author know the details of what you are seeing.
So in other words, Jimmy, if you bought two mods that conflict with each other, you just burned that money. Sure, you can get a refund-- if you purchased it within 24 hours. But this could be a day, a week, a month down the line before you see the conflict, and now your save and or game is bricked. They don't need to fix it either -- they got your money, Jimmy. Tough life, eh, Jimmy?

Or maybe the fact that a lot of these mods are basing their content off of some one else's work, what then? What do they do? Cut the (already limited) percentage to give to the authors? What if they never wanted to get paid and didn't agree for this to happen? How is Valve[who can't even manage their storefront] going to manage hundred, if not thousands of takedown requests because scumbag-dev decided that he'll slap some assets together and charge people 5$ for it.

Or-or-or what stops this from expanding into games like Garry's Mod, where the entire point is that it's user created and suddenly now every other server is having their own required-or-get-kicked modpack of 5$. What's that Timmy? Your family can barely afford luxuries so you tried using modding to get the most bang out of your buck? Sucks to be you! Speaking of that, what stops the slippery slope of Valve just starting to add a flat rate if they get away with this. "If you want to download a mod, it's one dollar per. If you want to download infinite, throw in 20, 30, 40$".

Or maybe we should just think of the moddevs(who get no money anyways) that worked so hard, so tirelessly to do their hobby, and suddenly now they want it to be a career, without even needing to show promise. Seriously, we get mad when we get a game that isn't up to what is previewed/shown/announced. But these guys... they don't NEED to show us anything, and they don't lose anything if they fall empty on those promises.

It's just.. infuriating. This isn't made for the mod devs. If it was, they wouldn't be taking 75% of the revenue and giving it to other sources. Valve made it for themselves, and trying to use 'Think of the mod devs!' as a scapegoat. It's.. disheartening. I loved Valve, I tried defending them for each time something goes wrong. Greenlight, Early Access, some of their games not even working. But this.. I can't do it anymore. I can't defend my once-favorite-company. This is just going too far. I aspired to work at Valve because it was so nice, so friendly, but now, now I want to my dream career is somewhere else, anywhere.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Over the horizon, and old man on his porch stares listlessly into the sky. His faithful dog next to him lets out a sorrowful howl. He recognizes the signs. A shitstorm approaches.

As pointed out by TotalBiscuit, this has already lead to mass corruption and horse armory like none have seen before. This is going on Valve's oops pile.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
This whole thing just feels dirty somehow. Not that I have an issue with mod authors getting money for some of their work, I can't say I have any issues with donations to mod authors or something like patreon. Its just paying a per mod basis just seems like it could get really messy for everyone involved really quickly in terms of refunds and issues with unsupported mods.

Even then it might have been workable but the setup valve has introduced appears to be less about supporting mod authors and more about making some easy money for valve and bethesda.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
So are we going to stop pretending Valve is the best thing since sliced bread finally or are we gonna get some Valve apologists coming out now?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Adultratedhydra said:
So are we going to stop pretending Valve is the best thing since sliced bread finally or are we gonna get some Valve apologists coming out now?
I feel like Valve has lost a lot of it's criticism immunity on the back of the fact that it hasn't made an actual new game in like five years. Back in the day, when people would diss Valve, the apologists would say "But... Half Life 2! But... Portal! But... Counter-Strike!" and we'd all settle down and say "yeah, you're right. Valve make some shitty decisions but they also make video games like no-one else in the industry."

Even the most hardcore Valve fans are pissed that we have heard didly squad about Half Life (episode) 3 for SEVEN FUCKING YEARS. I feel like Valve has well and truly worn out it's "ubiquitously loved video game company" persona.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
The more I think about this, the more I hate it. Especially when it's only added to their Steam Wallet, meaning they can only buy more fucking games with it.

Would I consider giving $10 bucks to someone who has doubtlessly put in hours of their time to make a great mod? Absolutely.
Do I want them to be restricted to buying games with it? NO.
Do I want them to only actually see two bucks fifty of it, and watch Valve earn the rest for doing literally nothing besides running the marketplace? NEIN!

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
This makes me laugh. And laugh. And laugh.

Why, of all games, would you start with Skyrim? Most Skyrim fans (Not all, there are exceptions...) loathe the Steam Workshop and hit up the Nexus for their mod fix.

DarkOne is going to be dancing on a huge pile of money now that you're basically pushing people to his site and generating mass traffic for him.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Adultratedhydra said:
I feel like Valve has lost a lot of it's criticism immunity on the back of the fact that it hasn't made an actual new game in like five years. Back in the day, when people would diss Valve, the apologists would say "But... Half Life 2! But... Portal! But... Counter-Strike!" and we'd all settle down and say "yeah, you're right. Valve make some shitty decisions but they also make video games like no-one else in the industry."

Even the most hardcore Valve fans are pissed that we have heard didly squad about Half Life (episode) 3 for SEVEN FUCKING YEARS. I feel like Valve has well and truly worn out it's "ubiquitously loved video game company" persona.
From a technical standpoint, -Valve- hasnt made anything original in even longer. Portal? Was another game. TF2? Mod. CS? Mod. Dota? Icefrog. I've never understood why Valve seemed immune to criticism over the years. Do people not understand why a monopoly is bad?

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
Adultratedhydra said:
Steven Bogos said:
Adultratedhydra said:

From a technical standpoint, -Valve- hasnt made anything original in even longer. Portal? Was another game. TF2? Mod. CS? Mod. Dota? Icefrog. I've never understood why Valve seemed immune to criticism over the years. Do people not understand why a monopoly is bad?
Cause currently, it is not a monopoly, they DO have competition they just have done it for so long it is the more reliable and time tested service. Granted, that being said, i love Steam, i use it quite frequently and the convenience is something i enjoy. However, this is a very very stupid choice on their part, and any modding i do will continue to be done through nexus mods cause the steam pages never offer anything that i cannot get somewhere else.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
Can we like... not? I mean, I know mod makers do SO MUCH WORK for next to nothing, but I feel like giving them the ability to charge is just going to kill the mod scene entirely. We'll be flooded with people who have no real interest in the game making simple mods in the hope to cash in. We'll have people selling cheap and easy mods anyone could make if they spent five minutes, complete with all the scams and bullshit that come with that. And honestly, the fact that they're now for money will probably make people judge and dismiss even the most amazing mods for minor problems. "No Voice Acting? Gross! Re-used landscapes? Atrocious! No new items? Why bother!" I love the TES mod community, and always have, but seriously, fuck it if I'm gonna end up paying for it. Half of the fun is downloading something you know next to nothing about and just going for it. The incentive for that goes way way way down if you've gotta pay for it. Plus, Skyrim is buggy already. Mods make it worse. And you bet your ass that paid mods are going to lead to some ulcers when they break the game.

Sheesh. I'm usually one to look on the bright side, but in this, there really isn't one.

EDIT: To be clear, donations and such are 100% a good thing and I have no problem with mod authors receiving cold hard cash for their work. They really deserve it. Just, y'know, minus the corporate business fuckery.

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
SadisticFire said:
I can't believe this. It's ridiculous on way too many levels. We should start with one of the most basic things and that's using other people's assets. Not only has steam showed that they have a terrible terrriiiiiblee track record about managing content coming in as Early Access or Greenlight that steal and rip from other people's works, but they take no responsibility for it to work.
This really is one of the easiest to identify problems. Even before this new system was created, there's already a problem of some schmucks on Steam Workshop stealing assets that other people ripped or modeled and publishing it there. MODs have a lot of interdependence as well that Valve and Beth obviously don't give two shits about, considering their "You're on your own buddy" clause. And there's also the issue of public/community assets...

Guess I'll continue my abstinence from Steam purchases.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
EA: We'll do this only if we can sell it through Origin. Think of all the Commander Shepards saying this is their favorite tavern in Cyrodiil!

Ubisoft: We'll do this only if they log into Uplay. Think of all the parkour!

Capcom: We'll do this only if we can lock out certain parts of the mod for an extra cost. Think of all the zombies like in Dead Rising & Resident Evil! Wait you already have those? Okay think of all the crafting in Dead Rising! Oh you already have crafting too. Um, think of all the Demons from DMC! Oh come on you already have those too?!

Microsoft: Ooh! Can we tie it into Windows 10! Then we can tie it into Xbox Live! Then we can find a way to undermine our own products while hoping to not suffer any backlash!

Nintendo: Wii U is failing & We'll do this but only if we can tie ours into Amiibos.

Sony: Due to a shifting landscape we've decided not to do this. Then we'll get praise for not doing this. Ah 0 effort can be amazing! Why else do you think we shut down PS Home?

Rockstar: Our mod will add Roman Bellic. He'll give you a cell phone & call you up at awkward times to go bowling, play darts, or see Great Big Argonian Titties!

Volition: Three words, Purple Dildo Bat. You already want it. Don't deny it!

All the good mods are probably free on Nexus anyway.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
RatGouf said:
EA: We'll do this only if we can sell it through Origin. Think of all the Commander Shepards saying this is their favorite tavern in Cyrodiil!

Ubisoft: We'll do this only if they log into Uplay. Think of all the parkour!

Capcom: We'll do this only if we can lock out certain parts of the mod for an extra cost. Think of all the zombies like in Dead Rising & Resident Evil! Wait you already have those? Okay think of all the crafting in Dead Rising! Oh you already have crafting too. Um, think of all the Demons from DMC! Oh come on you already have those too?!

Microsoft: Ooh! Can we tie it into Windows 10! Then we can tie it into Xbox Live! Then we can find a way to undermine our own products while hoping to not suffer any backlash!

Nintendo: Wii U is failing & We'll do this but only if we can tie ours into Amiibos.

Sony: Due to a shifting landscape we've decided not to do this. Then we'll get praise for not doing this. Ah 0 effort can be amazing! Why else do you think we shut down PS Home?

Rockstar: Our mod will add Roman Bellic. He'll give you a cell phone & call you up at awkward times to go bowling, play darts, or see Great Big Argonian Titties!

Volition: Three words, Purple Dildo Bat. You already want it. Don't deny it!

All the good mods are probably free on Nexus anyway.
and I would Praise Sony for not doing it. Zero effort going towards it is zero effort in being a douchebag. where as Valve has gone 75% douche over night.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Just a small note....the kinds of mods that people would actually pay for....aren't the kinds of mods that Steam would host anyway.

If you catch my drift.

*wink*

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So...whats the difference between paid mods and DLC? 'cause as far as I can tell, they're exactly the same but 'paid mods' looks better on a PR spreadsheet.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This needs to fail. Otherwise, knowing this industry, everyone will start doing it for everything and games will turn to shit. We've seen it happen with everything that you can attach money to.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I don't use Steam for my Skyrim mods. So it doesn't bother me. That being said, I think this is a pretty shitty thing to do. There are plenty of sites where you can download mods for free.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I'm certainly not against the idea of mod creators getting paid for their time but why are Valves getting such a big cut and there are no quality guarantees or refunds?