Monkey Island Returns With New Series, Remake

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Mmmm, after their last year disapointements, LucasArt finally decides to do something right. Are they saying "We're sorry for 2008"?

DJPirtu

Nov 24, 2008
harhol said:
I just wish a point & click could be accepted by the mainstream media without having to be some kind of faux-retro curiosity.

"Hey guise remember the 90s?"
You know, I never really tought about it before, but just about everything Telltale Games has made does rely pretty heavly on a certain niche audience.
Sam & Max (as well as the upcoming Monkey Island) series is talor made for old school 90s adventure game fans.
Their short lived Bone series propably only interested fans of the comic book.
Wallice and Gromit had their days in the 90s (I think). Well, except for that one movie. Not a bad movie, mind you.
And Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People has a very spesific core audience. Namely the fans of a very spesific internet animation series. Also from the 90s.

Svenparty said:
I creamed my jeans as soon as I heard "Monkey Island Returns"

I just hope that it doesn't require an amazing graphics card and that the "Episodes" aren't just half assed efforts.

Perhaps this will encourage Lucasarts to release a "Classic" gaming pack of the first three Monkey Islands for Windows or something epic.
You should propably check out the Telltale Games site for their other games. For better or worse, these guys are very consistant when it comes to the engine technology. So, there's lots of demos out the for one to try the games with and even a full fouth episode of the first Sam & Max series available for free.
My 5 years old piece of junk computer can run these games with only minimal troubles, so I'd say the bar is relatively low when it comes to technical requirements.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Svenparty said:
Perhaps this will encourage Lucasarts to release a "Classic" gaming pack of the first three Monkey Islands for Windows or something epic.
...again. There was a 'Monkey Island Bounty Pack' at one point, but that went out of print fairly rapidly.

Edit: Monkey Island = Awesome. I so want this...

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
harhol said:
Nomadic said:
harhol said:
This is not Monkey Island. This is a money-making scheme.
This may surprise you, but games, like all other products, are specifically designed to generate money.
You know what I mean. Nostalgia cash-in. Escape was shit anyway.

I just wish a point & click could be accepted by the mainstream media without having to be some kind of faux-retro curiosity.

"Hey guise remember the 90s?"
The whole Phoenix Wright series is an adventure game, if you've bever played them before.

Suddenly there's a lot more Schaffer around here.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I welcome the return of Monkey Island, but I don't trust it in the hands of Lucasarts anymore. Everyone there who had adventure game talents abandoned the company and now reside with better developers like Double Fine and Telltale Games. If one of those guys were making this, I'd be excited. Considering Lucasarts has failed to make a decent game by themselves in the last decade, I don't hold up much hope for this.

AMCization

Jun 1, 2009
This news actually made me sign up to the escapist after what must be a good year. Just to comment on how totally awesome this. (However, I got lost, commented on three threads, and then arrived here, my original destination)

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
DaxStrife said:
I welcome the return of Monkey Island, but I don't trust it in the hands of Lucasarts anymore. Everyone there who had adventure game talents abandoned the company and now reside with better developers like Double Fine and Telltale Games. If one of those guys were making this, I'd be excited. Considering Lucasarts has failed to make a decent game by themselves in the last decade, I don't hold up much hope for this.
[small]The episodes are being made by Telltale Games...[/small]
AMCization said:
This news actually made me sign up to the escapist after what must be a good year. Just to comment on how totally awesome this. (However, I got lost, commented on three threads, and then arrived here, my original destination)
Welcome to The Escapist!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Chipperz said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawesoooooooooooome...

Monkey Island is the rare case of an old game actually being as good as you remember it first time round. I will love and cherish this.
Beware! This is still the modern LucasArts. It'll be like the Crystal Skull is to Indiana Jones.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Doug said:
Chipperz said:

Monkey Island is the rare case of an old game actually being as good as you remember it first time round. I will love and cherish this.
Beware! This is still the modern LucasArts. It'll be like the Crystal Skull is to Indiana Jones.
Ah yes, I HAD that apprehension, but it LOOKS like they're just updating the graphics and adding voice acting, NOT changing the dialogue or adding new and improved "it was always meant to be like this!" scenes.

I remain cautiously optimistic that they won't add in Rodians doing pop songs.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Chipperz said:
Doug said:
Chipperz said:

Ah yes, I HAD that apprehension, but it LOOKS like they're just updating the graphics and adding voice acting, NOT changing the dialogue or adding new and improved "it was always meant to be like this!" scenes.

I remain cautiously optimistic that they won't add in Rodians doing pop songs.
hmmm... I hope you're right, I really do...

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, at least Lucasarts realized they've lost the magical touch that let them make good games and let Telltale do it for them. If they're involved, I'm hopeful.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I have a good opinion of Telltale, but the new one will be missing a huge element: Mr. Schafer.
Which isn't to say that I will automatically think it'll be bad.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I would hope they do something similar to Curse of Monkey Island, because the Telltale games I've played so far are a bit too easy. With two difficulty settings it could appeal to a larger audience.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Sorry to Necrothread but I only just found out and, if you'll pardon the phrase, I just creamed myself in excitement.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
It seemed on the LA page that you can switch back to the original graphics. Kinda nice.
Though they mentioned some hint system which I hope to Xenu I can avoid or turn off or something. Also they mention something about a new intuitive gameplay that lets you interact. Because the original didn't let me interact?

As for the TellTale games, well, I hope they are good, but I'm not so happy for the visuals, to be honest. Still have scars from Escape.

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
nilcypher said:
*crosses fingers and wishes very hard* Please be good, please be good, please be good.
Joins in...why do they need new voice actors guybrush was great in Escape....loved escape, even buying cannons from a greasy little kid was a joy and don't get me started on verbal swahbuckling...now if only real fights could be resolved in such a genteel manner.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Lukeje said:
Svenparty said:
...again. There was a 'Monkey Island Bounty Pack' at one point, but that went out of print fairly rapidly.

Yeah this is why having a newer release would be fine and dandy...

I like how they kept the same graphic style and didn't just Escape from Monkey Island it.