Monster Hunter 4 Sells Two Million Units in Four Days

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Monster Hunter 4 Sells Two Million Units in Four Days

A feat made more impressive when you consider Monster Hunter 4 has only been released in Japan.

Monster Hunter 4, the latest in Capcom's Pokemon-a-like monster hunting RPG, has moved over two million units despite being out for just four days. This makes it the best-selling third-party game on the Nintendo 3DS. What's more impressive is that Monster Hunter 4 has, of now, only been released in Japan. Capcom was also pleased to announce that the smashing success of Monster Hunter 4 has brought the lifetime total sales of games in the Monster Hunter franchise to 25 million units.

The Japanese publisher claims that a local development that features a link with Shibu hot spring resort in Nagano Prefecture as well as positive and wide-ranging collaborations with other industries in areas such as food, drinks, and clothing helped contribute to Monster Hunter 4's success.

It aims to continue to expand its Monster Hunter promotion in Japan, with future events such as the "Monster Hunter Festa' 13", which is being staged in 5 cities across Japan, and "Monster Hunter the Real 2014" (a Monster Hunter-themed version of the "Resident Evil: The Real we saw a few months ago), at Universal Studios Japan.

Capcom neglected to offer any word of an English release of Monster Hunter 4, but given the series' popularity, it should only be a matter of time before it hits the West.

Source: Capcom [http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/sp/english/news/html/e130917.html]

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Man i would love to play that on Wii U. Not sure if im gonna get the 3ds version, it was ok in tri ultimate but with the new movement options the game becomes to fast for controlling the camera using the touchscreen.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
First: You are disqualified for comparing this very brutal and bloody hunting game to pokemon.

Second: It would not be the first monster hunter game that would not see release in the west.... Monster hunter portable 3rd G anyone?

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Karadalis said:
Second: It would not be the first monster hunter game that would not see release in the west.... Monster hunter portable 3rd G anyone?
DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS YOU SICK BASTARD

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
What do you mean it's a look a like to Pokemon?

Just because something has a variety of monsters, doesn't automatically make it a Pokemon clone.

Because that's where the similarities end.

Last time I check, you couldn't capture and train the dragon bear you just slaughtered for it's pelt. Nor did Pokemon have armor and weapon customization.

You might as well say that they made a game entirely out of the "Go fetch me 5 bear belts" task lines of Elder Scrolls.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Thats mostly down to the relentless hype train that always preceeds a major Monster Hunter release. And this hype train is powered by a thousand suns and the brakes wore out 5 years ago.

OuendanCyrus said:
Pokemon-a-like? =o
A popular theory among the fanbase is that Monster Hunter is what Pokemon would be if it ever matured with its audience.

Not that GameFreak are wrong for sticking to thier guns, its just that Pokemon isnt interesting to me anymore.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Am I the only one who sees a link between Monster Hunter and Pokemon?

Pokemon: Tactically fight monsters so you can capture them and use them to fight bigger, tougher, monsters.
Monster Hunter: Tactically fight monsters so you can capture them and use their skins to fight bigger, tougher, monsters.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Also from the press release;
Furthermore, with an eye to expanding the range of users even further into the future...
I choose to read into that alot more than i should. And should it actually happen i would happily adopt a 3DS for it.

Baron von Blitztank said:

Pokemon: Tactically fight monsters so you can capture them and use them to fight bigger, tougher, monsters.
Monster Hunter: Tactically fight monsters so you can capture them and use their skins to fight bigger, tougher, monsters.
Could you imagine a Pokemon game that plays like Monster Hunter does?

Actually, now that i think about it, why is this not a thing?

Dec 14, 2009
I'm not surprised.

Monster Hunter is like catnip to the Japanese :D

If only it could experience the same level of success overseas, I love the franchise, it's ridiculously good fun.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Karadalis said:
First: You are disqualified for comparing this very brutal and bloody hunting game to pokemon.

Every single game in the main series has gotten a Western release, and just about everything that was in Portable 3rd (at least as far as monsters and armor/weapons go) was in Tri Ultimate. I think it is a safe bet that this will be released here eventually.

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
Mahorfeus said:
Karadalis said:

Every single game in the main series has gotten a Western release, and just about everything that was in Portable 3rd (at least as far as monsters and armor/weapons go) was in Tri Ultimate. I think it is a safe bet that this will be released here eventually.
Monster Hunter 2 did not received a Western release and the end game monster Amatsu Magatsuchi from Portable 3rd was not in Tri Ultimate.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Damn peeps, yes MH is nothing like Pokemon but every monster game gets compared to Pokemon (granted it's still kind of a dumb standard), check yourself before you wreck yourself.

OT: I can't play MH on portable systems, I tried on the PSP but the screen was to much of a cluster buck, the WiiU on the other hand, that I will be playing.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Baron von Blitztank said:

Nope.

Pokemon is a collecting game where you collect monsters to ... collect more monsters. It's based on bug fighting.

Monster Hunter is basically a hunting game where the game are very big dragons. It's based on big-game hunting - duh.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Listen... we don't really need a thousand comments on a single line from the article (pokemon-alike). So everyone should just stop. I'm sure this will see a release overseas as it's a major iteration in the series. Japan can keep all it's re-releases.

That said, Capcom is slowly becoming more Japan-centric as time goes on. It's a damn shame really because it actually hurts them a lot in the long run. They also make some very strange decisions. Like, they are pushing more and more of their generic titles onto the PC, but they are not bothering with their more unique titles. For instance: Why not release Dragons Dogma on PC. The consoles struggle hard with the frame rates and what is happening on the screen and it's right up the alley of PC gamers, but we don't get it. Simultaneously, they have released every iteration of the Lost Planet series, which has steadily gotten worse as time has gone on... the first in the series was interesting if not actually all that original.

LastDarkness

Jul 9, 2010
Please review this article and remove the pokemon reference. I dont see how anyone can compare them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Last time I've check, I'm not raising a bunch of Wyvern base monsters like Pokemon. Killing them to make weapons and armours from them is a competely different thing.

Anyway when will we heard a Western release as I am dying to get that game!

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Last time I've check, I'm not raising a bunch of Wyvern base monsters like Pokemon. Killing them to make weapons and armours from them is a competely different thing.
I've got to admit that the idea of killing pokemon with my bare hands and refining their bodies into pokemon themed weapons sounds very appealing.

You can't really love a Pikachu until you've wielded one as a Sword & Shield.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
"Pokemon-a-like monster hunting RPG"

What?

This sentence is stupid beyond words.

In what Pokemon do you hunt, kill, skin and craft equipment out of your Pokemon?