Montreal Police "Investigate" School Shooting Game

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
Akalistos said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
I gotta say man, You have a professional army fighting one another, and then you have a man walking into a school and shooting students. One is a deranged man with no cause shooting to inflict pain and suffering. The other is two factions fighting for their cause. Even the "no Russian" level had a plan behind it in the terrorist's eyes.
Maybe in narrative, but the real goal was to shock people and get coverage. Isn't what the kid, VirtuaDumbass, wanted in the first place? Even if you make the distinction between Army and Killer, He does have a point. Mind you, not a big one but i do seem to recall some of the officer of Fallujah being honored to be in a game or at least to have their story out. It's mostly parent and family of their fallen comrades that did that game in for, and I quote, "poor taste".
He got it a bit of coverage,but do you really want to learn about a College shooting from an "Interactive Experiance"?
Weren't we talking about indecency and how that sense can be misplace? Not that it isn't misplace here. There's no redeeming value to be had here, that's for damn sure.
I know it's been a good 4 years or so, but think of the shooting at another Montreal school: Polytechnique. It's been forever and we all remember. -Snip-
The news will mention it from time to time and remind us of the tragedy we faced here in montreal. -Snip-
You throw the massacre at the Polytechnique at me now? Guess what, i know all about both shooting because I'm literally at a HOUR DRIVE from your cesspit of a town. That said, i have clearly stated myself on that matter. It's not funny nor clever. I even reactivate my Newgrounds account to vote that s**cker down in hope bad rating will flush him out. (It's not much but it's far better than complain on another website.)

That said, RollForInitiative had a point with Fallujah. I think it's misplace there since the unit that went there were mostly for it.

Serrenitei

Jun 15, 2009
I think you all are being too hard with him. I think it's pretty clear it wasn't a bid for attention. That moron from Australia a few years back (can't recall his name) was a bid for attention. If anything, I think that this guy was attempting to create a piece like Danny Ledonne did--which was clearly not a bid for attention from Danny.

I feel like this kid attempted the same thing, but didn't have nearly the vision that Danny did/does (and lets be honest, says stupid things like have fun ... /facepalm). And it's not the most elegantly executed piece of design ever created, but hurling insults at him and calling him names is clearly not going to do anything but make you look like tools ... just sayin'.

That being said, I do agree and support the creation of games like this--I don't think that games should only be those that make us feel comfortable, that let us escape from the reality of our lives. While they can do that, and do that effectively, there should also be games that make us uncomfortable, that makes us squirm for their content, their focus.

The creator says he wants to draw attention to school shootings, which I think is a good thing. To be honest, outside of the immediate around surrounding Dawson, how many people actually remembered the event? I remember Columbine, being American, and the VA Tech shootings, but I don't think of them with any sort of regularity. As such a highly mediated society, we tend to see something, be empathetic/outraged/happy as the situation demands, and then move on. There's definitely validity to turning our attention back to those events which might have fallen out of mind for most of us. There is of course such a thing as not letting us move on (i.e. 9/11 and all the controversy still surrounding that). But that's not this case.

Similarly, for those who say that you could have genericised it instead of modeling it after a specific event; that takes the teeth out of the game, makes it mean less. People would just call him sick(er) than they do now. The value of the game is that it references a specific event, and isn't just a talking about an abstract event.

tl;dr - His execution was not the best, but these kinds of games need to be made because gaming is more than just fun and games.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
I go to Dawson, I wasn't there for the shooting because I was in sec.4. Still the game makes you feel sick when you play it.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Cassita said:
Freedom of speech.

Don't like it? Don't look at it.

No one has the right to not be offended.
I would agree completely, separating this from the fact that it's my college.

I fully support freedom of speech, if there is speech.

Saying you're drawing attention to school shootings is great! Saying you're drawing attention to school shootings and trying to make it fun isn't.

I'm not... Offended. It just brings back horrible memories of that day. I didn't know my sister left Dawson, and I spent most of that day watching the news intently to see if my sister was shot

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Leximodicon said:
I go to Dawson, I wasn't there for the shooting because I was in sec.4. Still the game makes you feel sick when you play it.
Your username makes me tempted to think I know you

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Cassita said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Cassita said:
Freedom of speech.

Don't like it? Don't look at it.

No one has the right to not be offended.
I would agree completely, separating this from the fact that it's my college.

I fully support freedom of speech, if there is speech.

Saying you're drawing attention to school shootings is great! Saying you're drawing attention to school shootings and trying to make it fun isn't.

I'm not... Offended. It just brings back horrible memories of that day. I didn't know my sister left Dawson, and I spent most of that day watching the news intently to see if my sister was shot
How much you dislike it is irrelevant.

Freedom is freedom.

Don't like the game? Don't play it.
Well I agree on the freedom part. I guess... I don't really disagree with the CREATION of the game. Perhaps he could have used a different way to get any message he INTENDED to get across. I'm not one to silence another human being and while this is a sad game, I have no real desire to see it gone.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Newgrounds.
Everything by Everyone.

They really mean that don't they?

Calumon: Uhhmmm... Why?
For better or for worse, they chose their site's tagline well. In this case it's defiantly for worse.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I chuckled at the fact that both of the quoted girls used "like" in their statements.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Oh no, a game about a school shooting? But this might cause more school shootings O:

Game's like that are made by trolls for the sake of controversy. Giving the trolls attention is exactly what they want :/

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Akalistos said:
I'm old enough to know that there's thing that make people laugh or at least giggle. One of this is pissing peoples off and watching people getting their torch ready. As such @Andy Chalk, congratulation for giving attention to that Dumbass.

WanderingFool said:
I blame fucking Newgrounds... rarely does anything good come from there.
I blame video games. No really, what does theses thing ever do right?
*Roll my eyes at post*
Really, not even a little bit of credit to the guy that; Had the idea, Made the graphic, Recherches the pics, weaved a narrative and put the project together. No sir, it's all Newgrounds fault. Seriously, I don't think that you know how making a Flash project and posting it work. Posting it to a website like Newgrounds is the FINAL STEP.
you took what I said seriously?

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
Once again, things like this give all of us a bad name.

If it were renamed something irrelevant to the school, noone would have cared. It's a goddamned flash game that looks like it were made for a Commodore or something. It somewhat reminds me of the 'graphic' sex game which consisted of some pixel dude and a pixel woman (the name eludes me at this point) and the controvesy that surrounded that.
It's also like goddamned war games which are inspired by real life events. If they're set in space with different names, noone cares. But because they're set in 'real' places with 'real' people, there is uproar. What part of 'it's only a game; we're not really killing people' don't people seem to get?

While I am sympathetic to the students who were injured during the shooting, and the family of the one who died, this sort of thing just annoys me.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Akalistos said:
I'm old enough to know that there's thing that make people laugh or at least giggle. One of this is pissing peoples off and watching people getting their torch ready. As such @Andy Chalk, congratulation for giving attention to that Dumbass.

WanderingFool said:
I blame fucking Newgrounds... rarely does anything good come from there.
I blame video games. No really, what does theses thing ever do right?
*Roll my eyes at post*
Really, not even a little bit of credit to the guy that; Had the idea, Made the graphic, Recherches the pics, weaved a narrative and put the project together. No sir, it's all Newgrounds fault. Seriously, I don't think that you know how making a Flash project and posting it work. Posting it to a website like Newgrounds is the FINAL STEP.
you took what I said seriously?
I don't know what number the rule was, but;
On the internet, anything is possible.

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
SamFisher202 said:
ShadowKirby said:
Ok, guess what, art can be offensive and tasteless too. And I never asked for it's removal or censorship, I'm just heavily criticizing and condemning it because I feel I have as a man who believes in the artistic and expressive power of games a responsibility to praise games that are doing a good job at passing certain messages and certain ideas (not the ideas, but the way they are passed), and call out the games that are just being offensive and have no real value.

Not all pieces of work are equal. The ability to choose between what we defend and what we shun will inevitably form what the medium will be.
In my humble opinion, all art can be offensive, and tasteless to somebody, but it's still art with an idea, be it good or bad, at its core that deserves equal protection. I never said you were up for its removal, or censorship. That is just what I see to be the most likely course of action. The medium is not defined by people choosing what is good and what is bad, it is defined by the individual. Art is about total freedom to create anything, which is why I defend this work.
its good to see some people who will still bend over and take it because some snob who is worried about tarnishing his image told them that everything is worth defending. you sir, just made my day by reminding me how lucky I am to still have a spine and am willing to stand up and say (in this case) its insensitive, tasteless and purely uncalled for.

There is one problem with the "video games as art" side of this argument. Simply put, video games, onsidered art or not, are a different medium of entertainment than say... paintings or theatre. When you are mowing down zombies in Left 4 Dead, be honest, what is going through your mind?
" ZOMG, bring it on you undead freaks! lol yea! GET SO-... OH S#!T TANK!!"
or
"Now here the designer uses zombies to represent changes in the lives of his friends. He is torn between resisting change of postmodernism, and joining with his friends."

seriously... use your brain kid.... if I were to compare video games to painting, this is the little 13 year old kid scribbling penis` all over his text book and thinking he is clever. Nobody but him and his friends think its funny or really finds it refined, just really stupid........

KezzieZ

Sep 20, 2010
Seriously? It's crap like this that's giving all gamers a bad name. Does this guy forget that, in the media eye, we're all lumped together as one malevolent mass of evil?

I'll defend his right to make the game, but that won't stop me from pointing out how stupid of an idea it was. Stuff like this isn't art.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
I've heard that part of the reason school shootings happen is because so much attention is given to them. Based on that, i'll say this game isn't doing much good.