Morality of banning based on skill.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I don't think that banning someone from games because they are better than you is something that should be done. It happens to a friend of mine on BF3 all the time (not to me because I suck) so it isn't fun for him as he can't even play in games anymore.

I was also playing Red Dead Redemption earlier today and me and a friend were being destroyed by a guy who kept one-shotting us instantly at 500 yards with a bolt-action. that gun takes 2 shots and players don't actually render that far away, so we figured foul-play. I think he should be banned. however, the people that wiped the floor with us later on were legitimatley good, and we ended up getting our arses kicked again, but didn't mind. (we even ended up joining their party and sharing a few laughs as we were brutally cut to ribbons by them)

basically, cheating is foul, playing well should be admirable, and banning someone because they are better than you is not only bad sportsmanship but is also just plain morngy and mardy.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Keoul said:
I'd say no.
Since it's not cheating they should know that what the chap is doing is possible for them as well, learn from him and become better players. There's no use babysitting them all the time, people won't improve at all without a challenge and with videogames experience is gained either from reading shitloads of guides or diving right in.
There's a difference between letting someone roam in the kiddy pool and throwing them in the middle of the the English Channel, wouldn't you say? Black Ops 2 is hardly a game people (especially older people) sit down and say 'okay I'm going to make my strats for every map and refine them every game'. This isn't Dark Souls/IWBTG/a Street Fighter tourney. These people just want to play.

As an Aussie too we have very few servers for games as it is, and it wouldn't be surprising to find someone like that kicked as chances are they're abusing certain 'features' of a game with things the developer didn't intend. I played AvP 2010 the other day (on one of 2 servers, both unfortunately American) and the admin kicked someone who was doing too well as the ping difference was killing most of us from across the globe, and they were abusing the plasmacaster which is an easykill weapon.

If you're playing that much anyway if you're not going pro then quite frankly it's an unhealthy obsession too.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
V da Mighty Taco said:
Moar brevity!
Eh, if the level system doesn't work then I wouldn't personally know. I don't play CoD and I've never played Halo online past Halo 3 so I've not really any experience. As someone with little to no experience with the system, that's just what it looks like it should be in place for, to me.

Although, I think my statements and your statements are related to two separate issues and I agree with the meat of your argument. It's just my personal belief that the super skilled players should be playing with those of their own skill level, speaking on a strictly competitive level. Just playing for fun, I don't think it would be right to kick(or ban) anyone that just happens to be too good.

Ultimately, however, I think whether it's right or wrong is dependent on context of the situation. Case-by-case, if you will.

SushiJaguar

Sep 12, 2010
Anyone who says playing against somebody who outclasses you horribly helps you to improve is a slack-jawed gobshite. That's about as pseudo-intelligent as Scientology. You learn to play better by playing against people who are a little bit better than you, or by watching people who are somewhat above your skill-level and taking on board the best parts of their playing.

Let's take a look at TF2, a game that requires a lot of skill to play very well if you don't use the very newbie-friendly weapons that exist in the game. The spy, for example, is a low-health, high risk/reward class. You can be knocked about by anyone if you don't use your cloaking device, and if you do, when you make physical contact with another player, you become partially visible. Fire, bleed, water and other effects also drape around you cloak, making you look like a patch of rain or whatever.

So how do you learn how to utilise the tools you're given more effectively? You don't play against a Platinum Highlander Pyro who is good enough at the game to completely negate your strengths and capitalise on your weaknesses because you aren't /good enough/ to do the same.

It's real simple.

Killian Arias

May 30, 2011
WanderingFool said:
kman123 said:
Why the fuck should someone be punished for being good at a game?
I think its not a matter of penalizing the other player for being good, but making them play against other players that are as skilled as them. If said player is really good, putting him/her against novice/amiture players would be unfair to the novice/amitur players. So it more about making him/her play against players that are at their skill level.

Gamers are not saiyans, they do not magically get better at a game by getting pounded into the ground.

THIS. A thousand fucking times over.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
I don't agree with banning anyone for any reason that isn't outright cheating or doing something like TKing in a team game. If it's that annoying, move to a different server or get better. Playing against noobs gets boring after awhile and they are bound to get tired of it. I know this because I got tired of it, and people I know got tired of it.

I do like handicapping myself though. Fight 1v5 in MMOs. 1v3 in RTSes. 1v20 in FPSes. Use only specific units, shit like that. Melee only in games like Call of Duty. I usually push it to about 50% win ratio in that regard, so I figure they can't be that unhappy dog piling the fuck out of me.

Lieju said:
klasbo said:
Too bad most servers just ban you for "cheating" when they actually mean "stop killing me".
I don't play games online, so I don't know, but can the person running the server tell if the person indeed IS cheating, or do they have to rely on the gut-feeling of 'S/he is just way too good NOT to cheat...'
Depends on the type of cheating, but in short catching cheaters is kind of a difficult prospect unless you are under constant scrutiny like most pro gamers are. And in long:

Glitching can usually be pretty clear as there's unintended game behavior occurring that can be easily recorded, everything is sent server-side in that regard so you have a clear data trail. Not that all glitching is cheating IMO but that's another topic.

Then there's scripted actions through custom code which can be fairly easy to see depending on how it's done. Some popular aimbot scripts had telltale signs like weird cursor shaking that any player viewing your screen would notice. Or the characters target box would immediately snap to the persons head without any movement inbetween.

Some aimbots are trained to only fire when they will hit a target or that targets head(however you calibrate it) Meaning that you will behave normally with regards to aiming, but the script will ensure your timing is perfect. This is much more difficult to detect as there aren't really any telltale signs.

There's also less visible changes depending on how a game is made. If things like textures are stored locally and aren't constantly checked you can do things like changing textures of enemies to a highly visible neon green, or background textures to clear. You can mess with alpha levels to see people through walls or you can remove the fog of war in RTS games. These are a lot less clear to admins, who have to go more off gut feeling which isn't always right. My brother was banned from several servers for wallhacking because he would line up shots through walls on common camping places and then shoot there. If someone was camping they would be dead, if someone wasn't then he just wasted shots and demonstrated his knowledge of the map and its play styles.

Then there's that use autotargeting schemes where once a target is selected it's just queuing or casting spells on that target. Which again is a difficult to really detect without watching them. They could be performing all their actions or a complicated script could be determining the best spell combos to use for any given situation while reading health and mana inputs. For example a game I played(Ultima Online) was heavily about being able to synchronize attacks with your allies and heal through synchronized enemy attacks. Thus having extremely perfect timing was highly important. On a server I played the admins instituted a system to read spell casts and then match them up against each other on a time log, it only went to 6 decimal places. With a 5 person sync 3 of us including myself got a .000000 seconds off from the first cast, meaning that the server could not tell any difference between our cast times to 6 decimal places. The other two were within four zeros on the decimal places IE as I recall one of them had .000032 seconds after the first cast. Now we didn't get banned for it because I can be a smooth talker and it's hard to ban one of your top guilds off of suspicions, but we did get some videogame jail time for being too good. So it's not always clear to say what is humanly possible unless you've been there yourself.

The biggest problem is that a lot of admins are little more than children with their own personal satrapies. I find that a lot of lower level players assume there is a lot more cheating going on than there is with higher level players. It takes a player who is really good at the game and has pretty good technical knowledge of cheating methods to be able to really root out cheaters effectively. And neither of those describe most server admins I've run into.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I think a solution to the problem would be to let all users rate how good they think the users they're playing with are (better/same/worse). As ratings accumulate, players would get sorted by skill and paired up with players with similar skill ratings, reducing the likelihood of you being turned into a mop because your opponents are way too good.

Blackdoom

Sep 11, 2008
I remember getting kicked from a server one time because I had a KDR over 2 all that I had done was spawn in thrown a grenade and got lucky enough to kill 3 People with it.

In my opinion it is fairly stupid to kick a person due to skill alone I would say it depends more on how that person acts if they are dominating the game but completely ignoring objectives then sure. But if they are supporting the team then I can see no reason for it to happen.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
It is perfectly morale to kick and bane based on skill. If the delta between a player and the rest of the team grows great enough, frustration exists all around. Thus if you want to impose a moral condition, choosing the route that gives the most people a good experience seems like the way to go to me.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Doom972 said:
There's no reason to ban better players, since they've done nothing wrong. There are always other servers you can check out if you find the match frustrating.

If you only want to play with people of your own level and never get better, that's perfectly fine - get your own server and host private games with people who are at your level. You can't expect people to play bad on purpose for your sake. I doubt you'd have done it in their place.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm of the opinion that playing with players of your skill level is still getting better at the game. Not quite as beneficial as playing against someone only a little bit above your level, but it's still an improvement. It isn't players sulking because they don't want to get better at the game, in some cases it's players not being given the chance to become better because the person/clan is already so experienced at the game people are not even given a chance to improve. Of course this is by a case by case basis.

Spuds

Jan 13, 2013
I think this thread has more to do with bad game design than community interaction. Though it is funny to read and see how many MLGPr0z come out of the woodwork.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I will occasionally 'slum' with some games, playing on servers where I know people are - on average - not comparable to my skill level. But I will endeavor to switch teams almost at random or start handicapping myself (using only certain weapons, only walking, play a FPS with a joystick vs. mouse users - that sort of thing).

I have played games where one person has been dominating everyone he encounters to the point of cheat usage being a possibility and it isn't fun for those being dominated. You aren't learning anything when you round a corner and find a .50 cal between your eyes almost instantly.

m0ng00se

May 5, 2005
...i really don't get it

i've played street fighter with LITERALLY the best players in my country and spent hours barely even hitting them. but after spending like 20 minutes straight in hitstun, the frustration wore itself out and i stopped giving myself pussy excuses for why i was getting hit and started asking real questions like a fucking adult

it stopped being "this button is bullshit" "fei long's rekkas are bullshit" "this move sucks" "ryu needs a buff" "he got lucky hitting me there"

it started being "if he's crouching right in front of me, he has it spaced so my kick will miss. if i press it he'll hit me. don't press that kick." "he's going to land behind my dragon punch if i do it on wake up, stop doing that."

then as i would find my ways around things, he'd hit me with new things. because i was now a problem-solving adult instead of a crying baby i'd find more answers, sometimes they would be ballsy like "dragon punch that rekka" and i'd gain momentum suddenly. THEN i got real fuckin smart and was like "if i press a faster kick when he's looking for the slow kick, he'll try and punch it and then i can hit him!" and then i had a real game happening.

basically if you die thirty times in a row it's probably not the game's fault, it's probably not the other guy's fault. it's probably your fault and you should change something.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
m0ng00se said:
basically if you die thirty times in a row it's probably not the game's fault, it's probably not the other guy's fault. it's probably your fault and you should change something.
Yeap. In a competitive game, they're out to win, same as you. If they employ a tactic that you keep running into and dying to, they're not going to change, YOU should.

I remember in a Counter-Strike game, there was this camper that would stick in one spot all the time. Obviously, first time he killed me, I figured, ok, I just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Second time it happened, same spot, OK, now I'm in the wrong place at the RIGHT time (for him). Third round, I stopped short and fired my gun through the wall - if I didn't get a kill, at least I could verify he's not camping there before I moved and exposed myself. I killed him.

Then the server admins banned me for wallhacking. XD

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Yes... And no.

If the person is extremely skilled, then the person shouldn't get banned for spending however many hours honing their skills. However, if they deliberately play against less skilled players all the time, then ban them from the low-skill servers.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Esotera said:
The game should be pitting you against opponents who are roughly the same skill level as you, otherwise it's horribly broken. Dota 2 seems to do this quite well, matches seem to be either equally matched, or a bit harder or easier than usual - and both those are fine. COD however, does not, and that turns every game into a horrible experience as I suck compared to the general population.
Exactly my thoughts. Skilled players should be segregated for their fun and the fun of others, but not removed from the pool entirely.

Bannings would also mean that players would play the game less - if you get too good, you'll be kicked out of the game.

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
Mycroft Holmes said:
I don't agree with banning anyone for any reason that isn't outright cheating or doing something like TKing in a team game. If it's that annoying, move to a different server or get better.
What if your an Admin, and it is your server. Should you have to leave because some "Pr0 G4m3r" dropped in?

Say it is a rather low level recruiting server, you aren't trying to recruit veterans from other teams, just give new players an opportunity to join password protected servers with lower level players.

Finally, say your just trying to be nice, and provide a "casual" server, not a competitive server. Casual servers are for gamers who do not care about getting better, or care little.

Mycroft Holmes said:
Playing against noobs gets boring after awhile and they are bound to get tired of it. I know this because I got tired of it, and people I know got tired of it.
There are 7 billion people in the world.

Say the average player plays 3 hours a day, 15 minute matches each time, for five years. That is 1,365 matches.

Say the entire opposing team of 10 is stacked in every match, that is 13,650 players out of 7 billion.

_,___,_13,650

That still leaves well over 6 billion chances to run in gamers more skilled than you, after having been 0w3n3d steadly for five years.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
Lieju said:
klasbo said:
Too bad most servers just ban you for "cheating" when they actually mean "stop killing me".
I don't play games online, so I don't know, but can the person running the server tell if the person indeed IS cheating, or do they have to rely on the gut-feeling of 'S/he is just way too good NOT to cheat...'
It depends. Most games with dedicated servers let the server force the client to take a screenshot and send it to the server. This screenshot is then reviewed by a human. This is of course after all automatic checks of the integrity of the clients game files (usually md5 checks).
But the hackers that are still around after these measures are generally smart people, so you eventually reach a point where you might have to go with a gut feeling. Though if it isn't obvious that someone is cheating, any respectable server admin would err on the side of skill. Another thing I've noticed is that a cheater is much less likely to respond to the chat...

felbot

May 11, 2011
oh god no that's a horrible idea, if you suck you should not punish the guy who is better than you, you should get better at the game, or stop playing.I really hate this attitude gamers have, get better for fucks sake, people like you op is the reason why every game now a days are dumbed down like hell.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Battlefield has a decent skill rating system for matchmaking that involves complex maths and indexing of score rates and kill rations and such.

Honestly when I get stuck in a game like that I quit and do other things, it's no fun to get your ass kicked for 10 minutes. I stopped play Killzone 3's multiplayer for those kinds of reasons, it was too common that the teams would be unbalanced (like 10 vs 5 because of groups and things) and spawn campaing and grenade spam and such would ensue.

Yeah, skill based matchmaking should be a bit more common than it is, nobody likes to feel useless and honestly when you play with that guy doing 108-0 it's not much fun either cuz you're not really doing much...
klasbo said:
You mean like the "No explosives" servers on BC2. Where if you kill infantry via RPG or C4 or mortar you get banned. I hated those, people just hopped out of tanks just to die by your rocket and get you banned.

Edit: what about banning based on being a dick? I personally kick peeps for teabagging and such because it's fucking irritating. But I'm a fan of standing behind a guy for 5 minutes with a gun to his head. Or overcooking grenades behind people.