More People Are Playing Minecraft than Black Ops

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
More People Are Playing Minecraft than Black Ops

For the week beginning on May 14th, Minecraft was the second most played game on XBLA.

The Xbox 360 release of popular, phallus-monument-construction sim, Minecraft came second only to Modern Warfare 3 in terms of unique users. The game managed to snag second place from previous incumbent, Call of Duty: Black Ops and placed ahead of other popular, multiplayer mainstays including Fifa 12 and Battlefield 3.

In terms of XBLA sales, it took the number one spot, with Trials Evolution, The Walking Dead and Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode II taking up the second, third and fourth slots respectively. Castle Crashers is still selling and haunting the sales chart like some kind of malevolent ghost. Phil Fish's Fez is currently in 11th place.

The indie games chart also has a case of Minecraft fever, albeit an unofficial one. CastleMiner Z and CastleMiner have taken first and second place, while Total Miner: Forge is sitting in third place.

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition managed to sell a million copies at $20 a pop in less than a week, making it the fastest selling XBLA game to date.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2012/05/24/live-activity-for-week-of-may-14th/]

=y

May 11, 2012
I'm not terribly surprised. The Minecraft phenomenon keeps on getting bigger and bigger...

Speaking of which, I have a castle that needs cobblestone.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Holy shit people are still playing Castle Crashers? Any who, makes sense to me. Now back to playing Castle Miner Z.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
For some reason, this tidbit of news makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. And I don't even play neither Minecraft nor Black Ops, go figure.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011

I should know. Anecdote time.

The day Minecraft was released for the 360, my friend invited me over and asked me to join him. I had never played Minecraft before and I never considered the game that interesting; Lego-like-Sims-wannabe game. But I gave it a shot anyway.
After 2 hours, I was completely addicted and in love with it.

Now, I had been thinking about getting a 360 for a while now. I'm a PS3 lover (Not fanboy) but I admit the 360 has its perks. This game made me go buy a 360 almost immediately after.

...But it's very addicting. Seriously, I dream about building stuff. I hear the songs in my head. And they're just background songs!

Someone help me...

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
There is some hope left in gaming.

Minecraft's sales indicate that renovative games can really make a shitload of money.

Of course, that won't stop big businesses from producing the same crap.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
In some way, it proves that CoD needs a new engine.

It's so old, broken and buggy even Minecraft offers a more broad experience. ZING!

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I don't really see how it's apparently beating CoD; MW3 is still in 1st place and Black Ops came out a year and a half ago. Still, back to playing Minecraft... On a computer. Mwahaha!

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
nikki191 said:
anyone else seeing COD grunts being beaten to death with lego clubs? like clubbing baby seals but much more satisfying
And you don't lose morality for it! xD
[sub]Please don't kill me... o~o[/sub]

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Beautiful End said:

I should know. Anecdote time.

The day Minecraft was released for the 360, my friend invited me over and asked me to join him. I had never played Minecraft before and I never considered the game that interesting; Lego-like-Sims-wannabe game. But I gave it a shot anyway.
After 2 hours, I was completely addicted and in love with it.

Now, I had been thinking about getting a 360 for a while now. I'm a PS3 lover (Not fanboy) but I admit the 360 has its perks. This game made me go buy a 360 almost immediately after.

...But it's very addicting. Seriously, I dream about building stuff. I hear the songs in my head. And they're just background songs!

Someone help me...
No one can help you... those that have played it are under the same influence, and those that haven't can never understand.

One day you will find yourself making sand castles on a REAL beach. But when the sun slowly sets you will start excavating large quantities of earth with your fists. That is the point of no return.

In all seriousness though, wait until you see the "adventure" update. I don't know what the situation with the Xbox version is, but if we have it on the PC you will likely see it on the Xbox sooner or later.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I can't remember the last time I played Minecraft, but after coming home from 3 weeks in China I have an urge to build my own Forbidden City or Temple of Heaven. It's so simple... but so cool.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
They may be playing Minecraft but its far from the definitive version. I don't get why you would buy the 360 version, its more money for less game and the 360 is far from the ideal platform.
It will soon be updated to the PC latest version, I love using a controller and my PC sucks.