Morrowind for $4USD...Should I dive in?

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
So my local thrift store has a couple baskets of CDs, DVDs, PC games. I'm going through it the other day and I find a factory-sealed copy of Morrowind for 3.99 USD.

Here's where I'm coming from...
-I like fantasy RPGs.
-I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, or any Bethesda RPG for that matter.
-I'm notably interested in Skyrim based on what I've seen, though I'd like to know more about what I'm getting into before I spend money on it.

Here's what I'd like to know...
-Is Morrowind still fun and playable by modern gaming standards?
-Will it run on a newer PC without major complications?
-Is Morrowind a good way to get aquainted with Bethesda RPGs or would it be better for me to seek out an old copy of Oblivion or Fallout 3?

I don't really need to know if Morrowind is worth $4; what I really need to know is, based on where I'm coming from, is Morrowind worth my time?

Yeah, in that context, the subject heading is a tad misleading in that context, but it got you here didn't it? Let's discuss.

Boxer.H1x

Jun 17, 2011
Morrowind is quite slow-paced, and combat is kinda terrible. The game is quite fun if you can get past those facts, though.

Also, as far as I know, it should work just fine on modern PCs. It's not like you're playing it on DOS or anything.

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
For less than 5 bucks, I am surprised you actually thought it would be necessary to take time to ask people in a thread their opinions on your potential purchase instead of just outright buying it. It's not like you're buying a car, or hell, a regular priced game

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
Morrowind is kind of a relic at this point. It is from a different time where you had to read between the lines in order to understand what is going on. Wither or not this is a bad thing is completely up to you.

For example, several of the quests in the game goes off landmarks in the game world. The thing is you have to find these yourself. There isn't an arrow on screen pointing you to the proper hilltop or rock formation. It can be a bit frustrating if you're the type to rush and not take care of your surroundings.

That said, I still think it is a good game. As with Oblivion, a great number of mods to choose from really adds to the game's longevity. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and watch out for Cliff Racers.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
YES. You should mod the crap out of it, though. There's a Morrowind 2011 mod pack floating around somewhere that is worth installing if your computer can take it, as is Tamriel Rebuilt, especially if you're a mage. Which leads me to my next point of advice - play a mage. Stealth and melee sucks in Morrowind, but the exploration aspect is too good to pass up.

jamesmax

Aug 25, 2009
Caffeine Rage said:
Morrowind is kind of a relic at this point. It is from a different time where you had to read between the lines in order to understand what is going on. Wither or not this is a bad thing is completely up to you.

For example, several of the quests in the game goes off landmarks in the game world. The thing is you have to find these yourself. There isn't an arrow on screen pointing you to the proper hilltop or rock formation. It can be a bit frustrating if you're the type to rush and not take care of your surroundings.

That said, I still think it is a good game. As with Oblivion, a great number of mods to choose from really adds to the game's longevity. I highly recommend it.

god Cliff Racers the only thing that made me not like my pants

94samWOW

Jul 1, 2011
Bethesda's Elder Scrolls are, thus far, notoriously bad for combat, and Morrowind was no exception. Bearing that in mind, Morrowing was one of my favorite RPGs ever. I've been playing it pretty much since it came out and I'm still not bored of it. (Although, I am kind of a Bethesda junkie... So maybe I'm not the most unbiased person to ask). Besides... It's freaking four dollars... It's cheaper than my daily coffee... What do you really have to lose? Personally, I'd take that offer in a second.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
dbmountain said:
For less than 5 bucks, I am surprised you actually thought it would be necessary to take time to ask people in a thread their opinions on your potential purchase instead of just outright buying it. It's not like you're buying a car, or hell, a regular priced game
My first child was just born, my wife currently can't work, and I'm a secondary teacher at a small private school making half what public school teachers in my area make.

You'd be surprised just how much you have to pinch pennies in these circumstances. I will pore laboriously over the question of whether or not it's okay to buy a candy bar at the grocery check-out counter.

Also, I was more asking about whether it would be worth my time, which, in my circumstances, is an even more stringent commodity than my money.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Morrowind is one of the best fantasy RPGs there is, and I fully enjoyed it even though I generally dislike the genre.

The story and writing is fantastic as are the quests, some of the best in any game I've ever played. The community mods are also amazing.

The only problem with this game is the combat, which by modern standards is frankly terrible, but there are some mods that you can download to make it more passable.

Definitely worth the $4 to play it.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
I still go back and play it sometimes. On the Xbox, so I don't have any of the mods that modernize it or fix the (broken as hell) combat system. For four bucks, you're damn right it's worth your time and money.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Oblivion was like 6 bucks on the steam sale yesterday. I dunno I played morrowind and wasn't wowed, it felt clunky. I had no idea what I was doing, where I was going and why I should care. However I am well aware I am more a Baldurs Gate RPGer so if you enjoy Bethesda style Action RPGs then maybe you'll like it. I've heard people dropping hundreds of hours into it so that's a pretty good review right there. Just not my cup of tea.

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
I seem to have triggered flashbacks for a few people with my mention of a certain flying animal.

remnant_phoenix said:
dbmountain said:
My first child was just born, my wife currently can't work, and I'm a secondary teacher at a small private school making half what public school teachers in my area make.

You'd be surprised just how much you have to pinch pennies in these circumstances. I will pore laboriously over the question of whether or not it's okay to buy a candy bar at the grocery check-out counter.

Also, I was more asking about whether it would be worth my time, which, in my circumstances, is an even more stringent commodity than my money.
I think it will be worth your time. It's just you have to go a bit slower than modern games.

Think of it a bit like older adventure games. If you try to blow your way through them, you're just going to end up being lost and clueless. While you can look up on-line now for where you need to go, it isn't as much fun as finding the path yourself. Same thing in Morrowind. It is very easy to miss something big and be lost for quite awhile.

The Elder Scrolls games are easily worth your time if you're a fan of RPGs and can over look a bit of clunky combat. Oblivion is more accessible but Morrowind has more charm and a more unique setting. But, both are worthy of your time.

SanguineScale

Jun 8, 2011
remnant_phoenix said:
That's understandable. With these kinds of games however, you either get started and drop them if they seem uninteresting to you, or get completely sucked in and have a lot of fun. Morrowind has been hailed as the best Elder Scrolls game by some, and I recently started my own character and have had a lot of fun, even though Oblivion, a much more recent installment, was my first foray into the series. As a general overview, its good on its own merits, and stands well in modern gaming as well as any other really good game from the early 2000's. But that's just my opinion.

Give it a try. Like it? Find the expansions somewhere. Mod it. Do what you will. After trying it, the extents of your ability to tolerate the title will be revealed shortly, so go ahead and just jump in :p

Btw, my local Naval Exchange sells unopened box copies of Morrowind GOTY edition for $20, which is what I ended up buying. You, sir, just made me feel like I got ripped off with that amazing deal you just found. Good on ya. :)

so yea, its worth $4. Hell, it was worth 20 to an idiot like me, so what does that tell ya? wait... don't answer that

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Is it the GOTY edition? Don't bother if it isn't. I fell in love with vanilla Morrowind, but so many mods and mod packs expect you to own all three parts. If you aren't getting the expansions, you will end up having to buy the original game over again just to get them.

If it is the GOTY edition:

FUCK YES!!!!

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
remnant_phoenix said:
Not for everyone, no. It was the most awe inspiring game I ever played when it first came out, and it has lost a little magic, but I know a fair few people who are still pumping hundreds of hours into it.

remnant_phoenix said:
Yes.

remnant_phoenix said:
-Is Morrowind a good way to get aquainted with Bethesda RPGs or would it be better for me to seek out an old copy of Oblivion or Fallout 3?
Morrowind is a fabulous way to be acquainted with Bethesda. The lore and atmosphere and depth of the game is tremendous.

remnant_phoenix said:
I don't really need to know if Morrowind is worth $4; what I really need to know is, based on where I'm coming from, is Morrowind worth my time?
Yes, it's something every gamer should try. It's a gem. You might not fall completely in love with it, it's not for everyone, but I'll guarantee you'll take positive things from it.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
If it's the game of the year version of the game, then it's more worth your time than skyrim could ever hope to be[footnote]From what we've seen and been told of Skyrim thus far/[/footnote]. Even if it's not GOTY, it's still easily worth $4, if you get into it (as any fan of western RPGs inevitably would) then you'll spend a lot of time playing it, and will have a lot of fun. Check out some of the mods to make the game look more current gen, but otherwise leave it unmodded 'till you get bored.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
remnant_phoenix said:
So my local thrift store has a couple baskets of CDs, DVDs, PC games. I'm going through it the other day and I find a factory-sealed copy of Morrowind for 3.99 USD.

Here's where I'm coming from...
-I like fantasy RPGs.
-I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, or any Bethesda RPG for that matter.
-I'm notably interested in Skyrim based on what I've seen, though I'd like to know more about what I'm getting into before I spend money on it.

Here's what I'd like to know...

Yeah, in that context, the subject heading is a tad misleading in that context, but it got you here didn't it? Let's discuss.
You'll love it, it's a great way to get the over all feel for Bethesda. Infact you may find it better than the newer stuff they have put out (I do).
I spent many hours in that game, it's my most enjoyed game to date.

blakfayt said:
Caffeine Rage said:
May god wrench the testicles off the man who invented MOTHERFUCKINGCLIFFRACERS!
There shall be a reckoning.