Morrowind

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
The whole point is to just go and exist in the worlds, to go exploring.

There are so many amazing moments in Bethesda RPGs that you will only find by wandering off into the middle of nowhere.

And in Fallout 3 they took Valve's environmental storytelling tricks to the next level, evoking all kind of emotional responses from the player, be it sadness, humour, despair or evil murderous glee.

The family in the drainage pipe stands out for me as a beautiful sublime piece of interactive storytelling.

Emeli

Mar 9, 2009
Glefistus said:
You have insulted my very character by questioning the enjoyability or TES series. Either you have the attention span of a goldfish with ADD, or you are on the same intellectual plane as a baboon.
I really think that was a little uncalled for.

Well, everyone seems to have directed me to the point, so I think I'll give at least Morrowind another shot. Any recommendations for startoff sidequests or the like?

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Emeli said:
Glefistus said:
You have insulted my very character by questioning the enjoyability or TES series. Either you have the attention span of a goldfish with ADD, or you are on the same intellectual plane as a baboon.
I really think that was a little uncalled for.

Well, everyone seems to have directed me to the point, so I think I'll give at least Morrowind another shot. Any recommendations for startoff sidequests or the like?
Just be bold and adventurous. Don't make a character and expect to keep using him exactly as is the first time. I have tweaked my characters so much. Just go out and live dangerously. Maybe turn down the difficulty and learn the cheats to help get you settled in. (The cheats restore your health magicka and fatigue, check gamefaqs for em)
Its alot of trial and error sometimes.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
The main draw of Morrowind over Oblivion btw is that Oblivion watered down and reined in numerous systems that were to complicated or exploitable. Enchanting in Morrowind is nearly limitless in the magnitude of power you can grant yourself, though getting the souls/gems for the best enchants was a beast.

And fyi: The Fallout series (all 3 dammit) and Planescape: Torment are the best RPGs ever crafted. To think otherwise is heresy.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
sicDaniel said:
I wanted to try the Icarian Flight spell once, just for fun, so I quicksaved and went weeeeeee

I landed unharmed in a lake on the other side of the world. That was one of the funniest moments in the game ever.
About the popularity of TES, have you mentioned the modding community? It´s quite unique and makes the game a million times better, especially some good quest mods. The Lost Spires for Oblivion is fantastic, the dungeons look so beautiful the original developers should be ashamed, with their 200 varieties of the same fort/aleiyd (?) ruin.

And let´s not forget the possibility to stuff the game full of undressed anime characters and genital armor, which makes the game appealing for a completely new group of people.
On the subject of mods, just go to btb2.free.fr/morrowind.html. BTB (Chad Steele)'s mod list is pretty definitive and it's author-tested (both by Chad and myself) and the mods don't break each other, which is a very nice touch. A mod list that doesn't break the game seems to be hard to find these days.

Richard7666

May 13, 2009
Emeli said:
Okay, we've got some discussion going on about the best RPG ever, and Morrowind, the elder scrolls and oblivion are popping up a bunch. I've gotta say that I bought both III and Oblivion and stopped playing them both within two hours because I was bored. They just seem pointless and without direction.

But I'm not just trying to bag out some games, I'm an RPG fan in an FPS fan's world, I need to open my mind, so could somebody, anybody, tell me what the hell is up with these games? What makes them so popular? What niche do they fill? Did anyone else have a wizard fall on their head?
You're a very sick person, and you need help. Or, you just have a short attention span...Morrowind in particular takes some love, but can be very rewarding. The background and atmosphere in particular are amazing. They don't really fill any niche...they're both pretty mainstream. I suppose you could call them 'free roaming' RPGs.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I wouldn't say either Morrowind or, especially, Oblivion are canidates for "Best RPG Ever," but the earlier game had a lot going for it. It was definitely a hard game to get into right away. There was very little direction, just a map and a suggestion you go somewhere, but then you're on your own. No real tutorial. Some info boxes pop up when you do a few things for the first time, but pretty much you figure it out as you go along. And I liked this about the game, but it took some getting used to.

The biggest gripe some people have is the class system, which I happen to love. It allows for complete customization, but in a game with no direction, it can leave you creating a pretty flimsy character the first time out. And the manual is no help whatsoever, since it barely talks about custom classes (and the premade ones are only halfway decent, if you're lucky). This is one of those games you almost certainly want a walkthrough for, if only to design a character that won't die on impact.

Morrowind got some of its sense of humor (such as the wizard falling) from the earlier and (in my opinion, of course) superior Baldur's Gate games. But that's fine. It did a good job building on what came before it, and managed to produce something very playable once you realized how the world worked.

Another big complaint from haters is the lack of leveling up on part of the baddies. I don't think this is a bad thing, though I'm probably the only one with this thought. You NEEDED to create a high-level character in order to beat the game, which caused automatic integration of the side quests with the main quests. In Oblivion, the factions were sort of tacked on as though to say, "Well, we had these before, guess we ought to stick 'em in somewhere." In Morrowind it was more a matter of, "Better go join a guild or you'll DIE." I liked that. I liked being able to walk into the same Daedric shrine at level 20 I'd accidentally stumbled into (and had to flee) at level 5. I liked getting that payback. Very satisfying. It felt like I'd actually accomplished something. Whereas in Oblivion, you can beat any quest, including the main story, at virtually any level. What's the point in leveling, then? The main story doesn't even stretch out long enough to build your character's level. You can beat it before hitting level 10. Really?

But the big thing about Morrowind is that once you understand the mechanics, once you have a balanced character, there's really nothing you can't do. I loved that about the game. It embodied some of the best things in a sandbox game, and was flexible enough to cater to power gamers and story fans alike. I'm always big on story and characters, so I was willing to find my way through the dark of the first couple levels before finding the real meat of the game. You have to wade through the murk in Morrowind, but once you do, it's a gem you find. In Oblivion, getting through the opening darkness reveals nothing more than a haze of sameness and stagnation. It deserves the hate it gets, and perhaps its disappointing quality is why some people (myself included) now place Morrowind up on a bit of a pedestal saying, "See, this is what it could have been."

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
Morrowind has a slow start, definiately. But there is SO much to do. I still haven't played all of it yet, and I've had the game for years and years. It has some of the most beautiful scenery and landscapes I have ever seen in a game. The storyline is impressively long, the selection of weapons and clothing is amazing. The number of sidequests is astronomical.

For me, Morrowind is just about the perfect game.

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
Emeli said:
But I'm not just trying to bag out some games, I'm an RPG fan in an FPS fan's world, I need to open my mind, so could somebody, anybody, tell me what the hell is up with these games? What makes them so popular? What niche do they fill? Did anyone else have a wizard fall on their head?
Basically, Morrowind was one of the first truly open worlds in an RPG setting. There is so much pretence for exploration and such that gamers who enjoy to do these things are the ones that enjoy it most.

There is a major difference between JRPG and WRPG. Games like Final Fantasy, Tales of Vespera etc are JRPGs and tend to tell the story of a set of characters through a largely linear, very hand-held path.

WRPGs - western RPGs - tend to make the story about you, with large open areas for you to explore and discover and lots of personalisation towards you as a character - in Bethesda's offerings at least, the fact the majority of the game is played first person is supposed to make the player feel the game is about you rather than *insert stereotypical RPG guy*. In WRPGs, the main story often takes a back seat and usually consists of only a small part of the game.

I assume you are more used to the JRPG hand-holding style of play. If you run through Oblivion, Morrowind or Fallout 3, or any similar WRPG, just doing the main story, you will not only miss out more than 90% of the content in the game, but you will also only get ten to twenty hours of gameplay at the most.

If you accept that these games are designed for you to explore in order to find stuff to do outside of the plot, then you will have a much better time of it. Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 have all given me well into a hundred hours of playtime, and I still haven't seen everything that is to be seen, or done everything that is to be done in these games.

Izakflashman

Dec 18, 2008
I know what you mean about morrowind. I found my favourite part was starting and not much else. Oblivion on the other hand was awesome. Well, awesomely easy in comparison. Just do the main quest at least. Its standard and easy enough to do. But it leads on to lots of side quests which you inevitably run into and do. The main quest is at least 30 hours of decent "unrambly" gameplay if your looking for something not so open ended.

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
Emeli said:
I kinda get the open world thing. I mean, two of my favourite ever games were the Fallout and Baldurs Gate series', and those only had very passing association with the main quest. I just don't feel like there's much to achieve in Morrowind. In Fallout you had every weapon and most armour available from the word go if you had enough money, most sandbox type games have a HQ option that you can afford.

I just... don't see the point of doing all the extra quests. Am I missing something?
Wait, Fallout is one of your favorite games yet you don't get Morrowind? They are pretty much the same game except one has guns and the other has swords and magic.

space_oddity

Oct 24, 2008
I agree completely with the OP. Although i found Oblivion to be more accessible, the Elder Scrolls series have never done much for me. Morrowind just didn't grab me, ya know? I know that its good, but i just cant convince myself i am having fun. I always just felt lost.

I might re-install now and give it another go.

massau

Apr 25, 2009
i find it fun because the things you can doe like stealing from a fencer to sell it back and if you completed the main quest and many side quest you could still start to cheat. and after that you can still make a mod for a super weapon were you can beat up a whole town in seconds

soulasylum85

Dec 26, 2008
never played morrowind but i do play oblivion. just give it more than 2 hours, you can't see 1/10th of what the game has to offer in 2 hours

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
I did play Morrowind for quite some time. But then my interest in it totally flopped when I realized your choice of character didn't impact anything. It was a game of optimization and stat maximisation. You could become a spellcasting, swordwielding thief. Now a bad thing, unless you can start as a thief, get a level of badassery in magic and end up meleeing everything in sight to death with perfectly equal proficiency. It was too open, it lacked limits. The 'create your own spell' wasn't badly done, but those limits... A spell that gives you the ability to jump over freaking mountains!? What Kind Of BS Is That Supposed To Be!? Want to maximize your stealth? pick a dark corner in a bar, tape down the stealth button on your keyboard and go out and live a little. Come back 3-4 hours later and vóila, practically the best sneaky character in the world....

Open sandboxes are one thing, a gameworld without any rational limits is another.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
i first bought the game because the very idea of a first person game based in medieval lands was a great concept to me and when i started playing i had a lot of fun with it.

sicDaniel

Mar 30, 2008
Just a quick question, does anyone know of an Oblivion Mod that removes the "disarm" move from combat? I hate this so much, I can never find my weapon again and the enemy does this all the time :C