Mortal Kombat Reboot

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes, he wiped the floor with everyone that goes against him. They even give us a corpse montage of him doing that very thing in the film. And it's established that prior to the film's Kombat, Earthrealm had lost 9/10, putting them on the chopping block for Konquest. It's assumed that, just like everyone in the film without plot armor (that one black fighter who was friends with Johnny, and the previously mentioned corpse montage of extras), all the prior champions, were not up to snuff.
Raiden even pointed it out himself. He even said he looked into the all of the souls of the other fighters, and said they would all fail.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Raiden even pointed it out himself. He even said he looked into the all of the souls of the other fighters, and said they would all fail.
"Why is that Raiden?" "Well, none of them were given names, or a backstory, and they all wear the same 2 outfits...so....odds are not good for them....sorry. I think one of them even mentioned something about being 2 weeks to retirement, and another said something about having a young wife who had a baby on the way. I mean come on! You don't say those things! It just gives Fate too much ammunition!"

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yes, he wiped the floor with everyone that goes against him. They even give us a corpse montage of him doing that very thing in the film. And it's established that prior to the film's Kombat, Earthrealm had lost 9/10, putting them on the chopping block for Konquest. It's assumed that, just like everyone in the film without plot armor (that one black fighter who was friends with Johnny, and the previously mentioned corpse montage of extras), all the prior champions, were not up to snuff.
I'm not disputing that. I'm questioning the events that lead up to that. Apparently Goro is just sitting around doing nothing until Shang Tsung says "yes. We've let these humans win enough." So either:

a) Goro just enters when Tsang Tsung allows it

b) Goro is the reigning champion, and all of Outworld's fighters have been defeated

Part of the reason I ask is given how many corpses hit the ground, as you say, is how Earthrealm managed to do so well early on. I mean, if we're going by game lore, your average Outworld fighter should beat your average Earthrealm fighter, since they have access to abilities that most humans don't, and that Earthrealm is only able to hold its own through technology and the edicts of the tournament giving them some breathing space.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm not disputing that. I'm questioning the events that lead up to that. Apparently Goro is just sitting around doing nothing until Shang Tsung says "yes. We've let these humans win enough." So either:

a) Goro just enters when Tsang Tsung allows it

b) Goro is the reigning champion, and all of Outworld's fighters have been defeated

Part of the reason I ask is given how many corpses hit the ground, as you say, is how Earthrealm managed to do so well early on. I mean, if we're going by game lore, your average Outworld fighter should beat your average Earthrealm fighter, since they have access to abilities that most humans don't, and that Earthrealm is only able to hold its own through technology and the edicts of the tournament giving them some breathing space.
A) I just assumed that there were various..what do they call it in the competitive fighting circuits? Tiers? Elimination rounds before the semi and final rounds. Where you have the winners of different fights running at the same time, face each other, and the winner of that goes up to fight the next person who won on similar rankings. I'm honestly drawing a blank on that setup for massive competitions. But I assumed that there would be outworlder combatants mixed in there, like how Liu Kang and Johnny both fight named outworlders early on. They got ....I think it's called "seeded" to fight tougher first fights, compared to the other newbs.
That only the handful that weren't washed out as scrubs in the first rounds were worth his time, so they let the pleebs and extras fight each other for "rank", to make them feel like they are accomplishing something, and then he comes in and smashes them.

Also I'm not really sure what you mean by "Earthrealm doing so well"? In what context? They've lost 9/10 tournaments prior to the events of the film, and are shown being summarily having their asses handed to them by Goro during my above mentioned montage.

I mean remember, Goro is a PRINCE, with a HUGE ego, so it's not that huge of a stretch that he's maybe not willing to just go out and fight every single newb out there, and waits until they've shown at least basic competence (in his mind anyway) to fight, to make it at least mildly amusing.

None of the tournament, in both structure or reason for existing makes any sense, so I'm not sure why this is the point you seem to have such an issue with?

B) I'm pretty sure that's what did happen? If I recall correctly, the other worlds fell to Shang Tsung's rule centuries ago, just like Kitana's world, but she's not dead. He subjugated the rest of the planet after they lost, and pressganged their fighters to serve him.

Sidenote: Is there actually a fucking new trailer out? I've seen multiple YT thumbnails saying "NEW TRAILER FOR MORTAL KOMBAT MOVIE!!" but when I've clicked them, they are some montage ad for various other titles coming out, and nothing about MK.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
A) I just assumed that there were various..what do they call it in the competitive fighting circuits? Tiers? Elimination rounds before the semi and final rounds. Where you have the winners of different fights running at the same time, face each other, and the winner of that goes up to fight the next person who won on similar rankings. I'm honestly drawing a blank on that setup for massive competitions. But I assumed that there would be outworlder combatants mixed in there, like how Liu Kang and Johnny both fight named outworlders early on. They got ....I think it's called "seeded" to fight tougher first fights, compared to the other newbs.
That only the handful that weren't washed out as scrubs in the first rounds were worth his time, so they let the pleebs and extras fight each other for "rank", to make them feel like they are accomplishing something, and then he comes in and smashes them.

Also I'm not really sure what you mean by "Earthrealm doing so well"? In what context? They've lost 9/10 tournaments prior to the events of the film, and are shown being summarily having their asses handed to them by Goro during my above mentioned montage.

I mean remember, Goro is a PRINCE, with a HUGE ego, so it's not that huge of a stretch that he's maybe not willing to just go out and fight every single newb out there, and waits until they've shown at least basic competence (in his mind anyway) to fight, to make it at least mildly amusing.

None of the tournament, in both structure or reason for existing makes any sense, so I'm not sure why this is the point you seem to have such an issue with?

B) I'm pretty sure that's what did happen? If I recall correctly, the other worlds fell to Shang Tsung's rule centuries ago, just like Kitana's world, but she's not dead. He subjugated the rest of the planet after they lost, and pressganged their fighters to serve him.

Sidenote: Is there actually a fucking new trailer out? I've seen multiple YT thumbnails saying "NEW TRAILER FOR MORTAL KOMBAT MOVIE!!" but when I've clicked them, they are some montage ad for various other titles coming out, and nothing about MK.
Tomorrow at noon EST. Those “official” trailers by *some YouTuber* are garbage clickbait and should be flagged by Youtube if they were doing their jobs.

Not a bad poster. Not quite the simplistic masterclass of the OG movie, but I'm a Sub Zero fan (not sure if this is the first or second Sub Zero though) and hey, an ice sword is cool.

Shang Tsung looks appropriately evil and siiick. Not sure about Mileena; she really a tough one to do in a “grounded” sorta way. A big fan of her in the games though.

Really though, I’ll be happy if they at least capture the general tone of the original and throw in the most hardcore, brutal fighting scenes on film (slightly stylized perhaps), with some dark-ish comic relief thrown in at the right moments. James Wan certainly has a decent track record to accomplish these things.

*Cautiously hyped*

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
As in the amount of Earthrealm fighters that make it to Goro.

I counted. About 19 bodies hit the ground in the montage. Then there's Art. Then Liu Kang, Sonya, and Johnny. So that's at least 23 fighters that have made it to Goro, which means, in theory, there must be 23 Outworld competitors that didn't make it. Bear in mind that you can apparently fight more than one person before Goro (Liu Kang fights the random Outworlder, then Kitana, then Sub-Zero). So if Goro is reserved for the 'higher tier,' that's a lot of Earthrealm fighters who've made it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As in the amount of Earthrealm fighters that make it to Goro.

I counted. About 19 bodies hit the ground in the montage. Then there's Art. Then Liu Kang, Sonya, and Johnny. So that's at least 23 fighters that have made it to Goro, which means, in theory, there must be 23 Outworld competitors that didn't make it. Bear in mind that you can apparently fight more than one person before Goro (Liu Kang fights the random Outworlder, then Kitana, then Sub-Zero). So if Goro is reserved for the 'higher tier,' that's a lot of Earthrealm fighters who've made it.
I'm pretty sure nobody on the film gave too much of a shit about having a fake, mystical tournament be "tier accurate" based on earth fighting rules. And also don't forget, there was literally an army of faceless mook badguys. There's nothing saying some of them weren't in the tournament as well, to try and jockey for fame and power. So if we pit Extra vs Extra, and we've got hundreds of people, then sure, 20+ made it to goro. I just rewatched the banquet scene, and based on the number of tables and seating, there were 35 people from Earthrealm. So even if a dozen were dropped elsewhere, that would still leave enough.

Again, I don't really care that they didn't make it accurate, it's a fighting movie about a dude with 4 arms and another who eats souls, while a japanese thunder god, is played by a french dude with zero fighting abilities walks around expositioning stuff, so I don't really care if it's accurate to MMA seeding standards from 1994. It's a dumb movie that doesn't care about making every detail accurate, and instead focuses on the story and the fun set pieces. Showing a montage of death is a good way to establish goro is deadly, that's what they were trying to convey in the scene. mission accomplished.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm pretty sure nobody on the film gave too much of a shit about having a fake, mystical tournament be "tier accurate" based on earth fighting rules. And also don't forget, there was literally an army of faceless mook badguys. There's nothing saying some of them weren't in the tournament as well, to try and jockey for fame and power. So if we pit Extra vs Extra, and we've got hundreds of people, then sure, 20+ made it to goro. I just rewatched the banquet scene, and based on the number of tables and seating, there were 35 people from Earthrealm. So even if a dozen were dropped elsewhere, that would still leave enough.

Again, I don't really care that they didn't make it accurate, it's a fighting movie about a dude with 4 arms and another who eats souls, while a japanese thunder god, is played by a french dude with zero fighting abilities walks around expositioning stuff, so I don't really care if it's accurate to MMA seeding standards from 1994. It's a dumb movie that doesn't care about making every detail accurate, and instead focuses on the story and the fun set pieces. Showing a montage of death is a good way to establish goro is deadly, that's what they were trying to convey in the scene. mission accomplished.
Thank you. I like you @Hawki, but you can go way overboard on overthinking stuff sometimes. It's just best not to think about it sometimes and have fun. There are plenty of video game adaptions turned into film that had even dumber and more nonsensical stuff than Mortal Kombat. Anything by Ube Bowle and Paul WS Anderson (post MK '95).

Can I say that mortal Kombat has one of the best films soundtracks from the '90s. Hearing songs from the album turned everything into a freaking rave party.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Thank you. I like you @Hawki, but you can go way overboard on overthinking stuff sometimes. It's just best not to think about it sometimes and have fun. There are plenty of video game adaptions turned into film that had even dumber and more nonsensical stuff than Mortal Kombat. Anything by Ube Bowle and Paul WS Anderson (post MK '95).

Can I say that mortal Kombat has one of the best films soundtracks from the '90s. having that soundtrack with her and everything into a freaking rave party.

Yeah that traci lords track was one of my favorites. The opening theme song still wins on a personal level. I remember in MK2, they used a Juno Reactor song during the Jade vision/test sequence, and I was like "ooh! I know that one!"

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

So, my cautious hype has grown more optimistic, because I generally like most of what I see (and hear) here. The first scene that gave me hope would have to be with Sub Zero and Jax, which means they’re eschewing all previous reasoning for him losing his arms (turns out there are several depending on the storyline). This is so much better, because it was something you’d never expect to be revealed so quickly. Makes me think this is just a taste of juicier stuff to follow.

A more in-depth (also spoilery) look -

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

So, my cautious hype has grown more optimistic, because I generally like most of what I see (and hear) here. The first scene that gave me hope would have to be with Sub Zero and Jax, which means they’re eschewing all previous reasoning for him losing his arms (turns out there are several depending on the storyline). This is so much better, because it was something you’d never expect to be revealed so quickly. Makes me think this is just a taste of juicier stuff to follow.

A more in-depth (also spoilery) look -

Nice. That was an enjoyable trailer. I am confused about a few things.

1. Who is Cole? Like, is he someone from the ridiculously long roster from the game series that I just don't know of? Because otherwise he just feels like an audience insert.
2. "It's a birthmark" Seriously lady? Come on, really? A perfectly shaped, stylized image that looks a lot like a royal seal/brand, from a multitude of human cultures? And...you're going to try and say it's a birthmark? ooooookay :p

I'm not sure how I feel about the "get over here!" muffled through the mask. It didn't sound right to me.

But, overall, I'm ok with what I've seen. Looks like it could be fun, and I like the orchestral revision of the techno theme song they put in there.

As to your comment about Jax and Goro I think that was so they could have him already well armed, before even introducing that character. Otherwise he'd have to have it happen in film, and thus sideline him for the rest of it, until MK2, if that even happens. So, have it already be in place, so he's at tournament standard from the start of the Kombat. And I'm fine with that. It's a change that streamlines the story more, especially since they are clearly making the focus of the antagonist for the human team, mostly be Sub Zero. Makes sense to have more people have a personal beef with that guy. Instead of spreading it out to monsters that they've never met before.

Plus it will make it more satisfying when Jax inevitably gets his payback on SZ in the rematch.

So yeah, I am pleasantly optimistic about it. Looks like it will be dumb fighting fun, which is all I really want from an MK movie. If they can improve the writing from the original (which I still think is pretty good for the genre and era), then it's win win as far as I'm concerned.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Nice. That was an enjoyable trailer. I am confused about a few things.

1. Who is Cole? Like, is he someone from the ridiculously long roster from the game series that I just don't know of? Because otherwise he just feels like an audience insert.
2. "It's a birthmark" Seriously lady? Come on, really? A perfectly shaped, stylized image that looks a lot like a royal seal/brand, from a multitude of human cultures? And...you're going to try and say it's a birthmark? ooooookay :p

I'm not sure how I feel about the "get over here!" muffled through the mask. It didn't sound right to me.

But, overall, I'm ok with what I've seen. Looks like it could be fun, and I like the orchestral revision of the techno theme song they put in there.

As to your comment about Jax and Goro I think that was so they could have him already well armed, before even introducing that character. Otherwise he'd have to have it happen in film, and thus sideline him for the rest of it, until MK2, if that even happens. So, have it already be in place, so he's at tournament standard from the start of the Kombat. And I'm fine with that. It's a change that streamlines the story more, especially since they are clearly making the focus of the antagonist for the human team, mostly be Sub Zero. Makes sense to have more people have a personal beef with that guy. Instead of spreading it out to monsters that they've never met before.

Plus it will make it more satisfying when Jax inevitably gets his payback on SZ in the rematch.

So yeah, I am pleasantly optimistic about it. Looks like it will be dumb fighting fun, which is all I really want from an MK movie. If they can improve the writing from the original (which I still think is pretty good for the genre and era), then it's win win as far as I'm concerned.
About the marking, Jax says right after that “It’s not a birthmark Cole. It means you’ve been chosen.”

So yeah...guessing Shang Tsung’s sorcery might’ve been involved or something.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
About the marking, Jax says right after that “It’s not a birthmark Cole. It means you’ve been chosen.”

So yeah...guessing Shang Tsung’s sorcery might’ve been involved or something.
Oh *I* know it's not a birthmark. I'm rolling my eyes at the sheer idiocy that it would take for someone to look at that symbol and say "it's a birthmark"

As to why it's there, I would assume it's an Elder God kind of thing, choosing champions on all the realms, not just Shang Tsung futzing about.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Oh *I* know it's not a birthmark. I'm rolling my eyes at the sheer idiocy that it would take for someone to look at that symbol and say "it's a birthmark"

As to why it's there, I would assume it's an Elder God kind of thing, choosing champions on all the realms, not just Shang Tsung futzing about.
That’s true, but then you’d also have to ask yourself, how far-fetched is it really even if it was a literal “birthmark” (which the girl actually mentions about him being born with it), in a movie from a series that has “elder gods” choosing champions of “earth realm”?

Reality kinda needs to stop being a back seat driver here me thinks lol.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That’s true, but then you’d also have to ask yourself, how far-fetched is it really even if it was a literal “birthmark” (which the girl actually mentions about him being born with it), in a movie from a series that has “elder gods” choosing champions of “earth realm”?

Reality kinda needs to stop being a back seat driver here me thinks lol.
yeah but, do THEY know of elder gods? Because it's presented to us, via Cole, as if supernatural stuff is not real. As he seems surprised by it. Eh, I dunno, I just, it feels like it stretches credibility given how precise the image is. A perfect circle, with a stylized dragon, just happens to be a birthmark on someone.

I mean I guess if they try and say "yeah but you have cats who have fur patterns of another cat on them" and other weird things that, similar to clouds, you can see an image in it. But, this is very much beyond that. It's not just "hey those shapes, when pointed out, DO look like a bunny rabbit, ON a bunny rabbit!"

It's a nitpick, I admit, I just, I feel like anyone skeptical would be like "yeah....ok so that feels like a brand to me kid, looks like one too. Too perfect, it's maintained that same shape as you got older and larger? Stretching out in perfect proportions ? Seems fishy to me. " But no, she's like "yeah, totally just random, normal human skin variations." *shrugs*

Again, it's not like I'm tossing a table and saying the movie sucks now, I just found that line a bit lame. Like they just couldn't come up with a good justification in the script, and just said "fuck it, birthmark"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cole is exactly that. An audience surrogate/insert. Why? Take him out of the movie; he is unnecessary.He never existed in the games and is not needed. Other than that:

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
That Trailer...

Oh, God. I shudder to think I might have enjoyed that when I was younger.

Kano is a good guy? Seriously? He's on Raiden's team. Kabal was retconned to being a good guy before. Why not him? If you want to say they wanted to go back to the original movie, Jax wasn't even there. But Johnny Cage was.

None of this makes sense. I'm grossed out.

And now that everyone's talking about how humans don't have powers except the Cage linage and Shoalin... has anyone ever explained how Kabal has super speed?

Cole is exactly that. An audience surrogate/insert. Why? Take him out of the movie; he is unnecessary.He never existed in the games and is not needed. Other than that:

Fun side, I spent my childhood in Manhattan during that time. My best friend and I went around Manhattan screaming Mortal Kombat to see if anyone would call it back.

They did not. And we had some girls laugh at us. That ended that quickly.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Well I don't have a problem with an audience insert, someone to exposition at for people new to the franchise. That's fine, if done well. I was just genuinely unsure if there was some MK fighter, who was named Cole, but had like, a hero/villain name once he got leveled up or whatever. And I just didn't know who he was since I didn't play MK 4- 10.

That Trailer...

Oh, God. I shudder to think I might have enjoyed that when I was younger.

Kano is a good guy? Seriously? He's on Raiden's team. Kabal was retconned to being a good guy before. Why not him? If you want to say they wanted to go back to the original movie, Jax wasn't even there. But Johnny Cage was.
I suspect it's a case of "enemy of my enemy is my friend" type thing, where someone paid him to help them, and then "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!" will happen. Or it just trailer editing magic, and he's actually always on the villain side, they just cut that bit out for time and pacing. *shrugs*