Mortal Kombat Review

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Just for the end, I love you Susan! I want your children :p

Grwat review, I really want to play this now (and I don't even like most fighting games)

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Spot1990 said:
strangeotron said:
Spot1990 said:
Your opinion is not gospel and all the people who liked this game are not wrong for liking it.
Neither's your's sunshine, remember that and wind your neck in.
I'm not saying mine is. I'm saying I like it. Lots of people do and they're not wrong for liking it. Just like you're not wrong for disliking it. You're the one acting like if anyone disagrees with you they're wrong.
Infinite parry loops resulting in death is a pretty big drawback though. I mean, I don't know how true it is but isn't that just broken?

Its not wrong to enjoy the game sure, everyone has an opinion on what is fun. I would think though, that from a non biased objective standpoint something like an infinite parry combo ending the match makes this game broken and unplayable in a competitive environment.

How bad is that problem? Can every character do it? Or will the ones that can inevitably end up making the others irrelevant? Even if they all can perform it, isn't it just stupid and lame that its there in the first place? Just trying to understand how big an issue this is, I like to get really into the character I play, if there is one sure fire way to win every time the character may as well only have one combo. I can assume this will get patched out eventually though, but till it does.

Is it like Carl Clover's clap combo where once you learn it its simple enough to do or like Hakumen's one-hit-kill combo in that it only works under very hard to pull off conditions and only in his super mode?

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLL kombat by far has the most fun theme of any game i mean who wouldnt yell that

OneEyeX

Sep 6, 2005
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, the locations are fantastic and yes, the X-ray moves are also all really great. But anything in a cut scene? Yeeeesh....really pretty damn awful. Certainly not enough to make you not want to go through the story mode, but definitely noticeable.
To be fair; you can't say the models look terrible when you can't properly identify the human liver (in Sub-Zero X-ray). ;P

Susan, I normally enjoy your reviews, but I felt that you covered vary little of the Mortal Kombat shine and more of the little goodies included. At no point did you mention that juggling was back to being important, that X-Rays were a great equalizer and that Tag-team comps actually have a layer of strategy involved.
But really; you kinda poked fun at animalities, frienships and babalities. The latter of which returns, and the former weren't done by the original mortal kombat team or even done recently. It was the 90's, give'em a great. But at the same time; it's that kinda crazy stuff that spawned into the Test Your Luck roulette we have now.

Mortal Kombat lost it's touch with Deadly Alliance (to a lesser degree; 4/Gold) and that era of Mortal Kombat games.

You showed a lot of Trilogy, which while completely unbalanced and awkward in some areas; was a lot of fun and certainly not where MK ketered off.

xFullmetalx

Feb 17, 2011
My only complaint with the game is the incredibly unfair and cheap fights. 1v2 fights, Shao Kahn, Goro and Kintaro all spam like noobs and the only way to beat them is if you do the same thing.

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
I wasn't sure what to think of this game because of the pretty nasty gore and ripping off limbs etc. But this move is what pushed me from "unnecessarily gross" to "unnecessarily gross but HAHAHA HOLYFUCK DID THAT JUST HAPPEN!!?".

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I don't know if anybody else has shed some light in this but the whole tenth Mortal Kombat thing goes like this: it was the tournament that was targeted against Earthrealm. The other nine were against other dimensions.

Then again, every tournament since the very 1st MK targeted Earth so you could say that all MK are 'try again's.

Also, Susan, about the fatalities, the tiers and balancing are a first for the series. In MK 4, there were fatalities in the moves list but there were some ridiculous stuff to pull off, like hold a button for 5 seconds.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
I found the game to be nothing more than a button masher... oh well i'l continue to play once the infinate sonya kick combo or noob tele grab gets fixed.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Also, I forgot to mention a thing I may like. It looks like MK doesn't have you waiting up until the next entry to the franchise to see who won the last time, like SF, Tekken and basically every other fighter out there. Is this true?

Jacob Haggarty

Sep 1, 2010
HK_01 said:
So this is the kind of video where you don't ask for my date of birth? Why, that makes perfect sense! Put an age-gate on harmless stuff but not here!

Anyway, looks like a fun game, but the gore is a little too much for my taste. It made me cringe a bit to just watch the video.
The X-ray moves... sweet jesus, i wretched at one or two of them.

Theres just something worse about the X-ray moves to the actual fatalities to me.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Not a damn mention to the archaic A.I. and the cheap-ass gold invulnerability armor of bosses, but that's okay... It only would another star.
Seriously, developers shouldn't be doing crap like that anymore.

le picklez

Jun 16, 2010
I like how I can breeze through the arcade ladder on expert but get stopped cold at Shao Kahn. Anyway, nice review. And to whoever posted tiers of characters: Kung Lao is definitely top tier.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Completely disagree about it being open to newcomers, it's the exact opposite. If you want to learn how to play the game beyond button mashing (which is pretty much useless, though that's a good thing) you pretty much have to set in Practice Mode for several hours staring at the command list. The tutorial dumped way more stuff on my head than I'll remember.

It's still a great game but the first few hours playing are painful if you've never touched Mortal Kombat before.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
katsabas said:
Also, I forgot to mention a thing I may like. It looks like MK doesn't have you waiting up until the next entry to the franchise to see who won the last time, like SF, Tekken and basically every other fighter out there. Is this true?
Story mode takes you through the revised cannon of the first 3 mk games, so you do get to see who wins each indeed ;)
Mk9 story itself ends on a bittersweet note, with most of the mk characters dead (yeah they will be back next game, but still, there's only 3 survivors on the earthrealm side) and though victorious, the events of mk4 are soon to follow so the peace is only temporary.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
The game begins with Raiden suffering a vision of the grim future that will result should Earth Realm lose this tenth and most important Mortal Kombat tournament.
Ever since the first game the rule has been that Outworld has to win ten straight tournaments in order to enter through the portals to Earthrealm so that only doesn't make sense if you don't know the cannon.

Considering that Susan usually reviews the "cute" games it was a surprise to see that she got to review Mortal Kombat (not a complaint).

One thing I really want from this game's story is to let me know who won the pyramid challenge from Armageddon in the original storyline. Does anyone here know?

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
MK passes the Susan scale. nOw I'm definately going to give this a look.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
katsabas said:
Up until MK: Deadly Alliance I think (the one where Shang Tsung & Quan Chi kill him in the intro), it's assumed Lui Kang wins everytime.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Awesome game...shame we in Australia won't be able to play it because our government is full of old farts who don't know the meaning of fun.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Sinclose said:
Good review, but I thought the reason why the 10th tournament is very important is because it requires ten consecutive wins to invade another realm, and their main enemy has already won 9 successive times? Also, babalities are still in the game. Dunno about the others though.

I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I gotta say, all the info I saw about the game caught my interest.
Borrow it if you must.

This is probably the best fighting game I've played in quite possibly the last 10 years.

It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination...but there is so much damn content and it holds everything together so well.

Frankster said:
katsabas said:
Story mode takes you through the revised cannon of the first 3 mk games, so you do get to see who wins each indeed ;)
Mk9 story itself ends on a bittersweet note, with most of the mk characters dead (yeah they will be back next game, but still, there's only 3 survivors on the earthrealm side) and though victorious, the events of mk4 are soon to follow so the peace is only temporary.
Glad I finished it already or you not using spoiler tags would have caused me to choke you to death through the monitor.

Susan Arendt said:
Sinclose said:
Good review, but I thought the reason why the 10th tournament is very important is because it requires ten consecutive wins to invade another realm, and their main enemy has already won 9 successive times? Also, babalities are still in the game. Dunno about the others though.

I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I gotta say, all the info I saw about the game caught my interest.
Ah, perhaps you're right about why the 10th is so fired-up important. The thing about the babalities is now MK has a very wink-and-a-nod feel to it. It knows it's being silly and is just fine with that - exactly the right attitude for this series.
The babalities are painfully cute. If you haven't done one you should probably go grab a drink and do it now.

You will thank me :p.

Datsle

Feb 4, 2009
Sinclose said:
Akihiko said:
Ordered a copy of this today, might not get it till next tuesday though. Thanks Royal Wedding and May Day... Looks surprisingly good though. Haven't really played a mortal kombat game since back on the playstation.

Edit: Anyone know how long the story mode is, by the way?
4-5 hours, I believe, depending on how good you are. With a good story too, it's not just a string of dumb excuses to keep the fights going-there are interesting plot twists and such.
add 4-5 hours for the Final Bossfight alone :p