Mortal Kombat X Release Date, Goro Pre-Order DLC Revealed

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
bug_of_war said:
All these people bitching an moaning about this is too fucking high. Pre Order DLC should only be shunned when it's content ripped from the main game experience, or in the case of Metro, a difficulty level. This is fine, an additional character to fuck around with on top of all the other characters is something that I'm willing to pay before hand for. Hell, it's more than what Day Z or any of the other piece of shit Early Access games have promised!
Newsflash: any content that was developed and finished prior to the game's release is the same thing as content ripped from the main game. It's the same fucking thing.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Not so bad, atleast you can trust the MK developers to release a solid game. So preordering it is fine. BUT its still a crappy thing to not allow Goro in the game for everyone. He is a major boss character. Should have made some new characters as DLC or old characters. But then thats the whole point of pre order dlc, offer something awesome. Atleast the MK developers can be trusted.

Nov 28, 2007
RealRT said:
bug_of_war said:
All these people bitching an moaning about this is too fucking high. Pre Order DLC should only be shunned when it's content ripped from the main game experience, or in the case of Metro, a difficulty level. This is fine, an additional character to fuck around with on top of all the other characters is something that I'm willing to pay before hand for. Hell, it's more than what Day Z or any of the other piece of shit Early Access games have promised!
Newsflash: any content that was developed and finished prior to the game's release is the same thing as content ripped from the main game. It's the same fucking thing.
Here's the problem with that claim. You're assuming that, if it's good to go by release date, it should be on disc. The thing is, there is a time gap between the game going gold, the game shipping, and the release date. Say the company gives a 2 month gap between the game going gold and the release date, to make sure the shipments get to the stores in time.

Now, for those 2 months, they can't touch the main game. It's already gone gold, and can't be altered at that point. So, what do they do? They work on DLC, they work on patches, stuff to add to the game post release. Thing is, in that two month period, it's practically trivial to polish up a character to be added in through DLC, even factoring balancing.

Now, it comes out on the same day as the game proper, and was ready for release by then, so why wasn't it in the game? Because the game was finished two months prior. In order to add anything to the game, they'd either have to add it in via DLC/patching, or add it to the game, then go through the entire certification process again. Which one is the cheaper/most profitable option?

Now, as for this, I feel less sure on, since it was announced this far ahead of release. The game's unlikely to have gone gold yet, so it does reek of them holding back Goro just to put him behind a paywall. That, I'm not arguing about. I'm just pointing out how it isn't always fair to criticize day one DLC. Unless it is on-disc DLC, in which case feel free to tear the publisher/dev a new one.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
thebobmaster said:
RealRT said:
bug_of_war said:
Here's the problem with that claim. You're assuming that, if it's good to go by release date, it should be on disc. The thing is, there is a time gap between the game going gold, the game shipping, and the release date. Say the company gives a 2 month gap between the game going gold and the release date, to make sure the shipments get to the stores in time.

Now, for those 2 months, they can't touch the main game. It's already gone gold, and can't be altered at that point. So, what do they do? They work on DLC, they work on patches, stuff to add to the game post release. Thing is, in that two month period, it's practically trivial to polish up a character to be added in through DLC, even factoring balancing.

Now, it comes out on the same day as the game proper, and was ready for release by then, so why wasn't it in the game? Because the game was finished two months prior. In order to add anything to the game, they'd either have to add it in via DLC/patching, or add it to the game, then go through the entire certification process again. Which one is the cheaper/most profitable option?

Now, as for this, I feel less sure on, since it was announced this far ahead of release. The game's unlikely to have gone gold yet, so it does reek of them holding back Goro just to put him behind a paywall. That, I'm not arguing about. I'm just pointing out how it isn't always fair to criticize day one DLC. Unless it is on-disc DLC, in which case feel free to tear the publisher/dev a new one.
Here's one problem with your explanation: I don't give a fuck. And I shouldn't. If it's available on the release day, it's part of the game proper. 'sides, I bloody guarantee you it's on disc.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
As usual, this pre-order DLC only convinces me to not only wait for reviews of the game to come out, but then wait for the complete version of the game to come out once it's no-doubt reduced in price.

Good luck getting Mortal Kombat accepted by the fighting community in the meanwhile.

Nov 28, 2007
Absolutionis said:
As usual, this pre-order DLC only convinces me to not only wait for reviews of the game to come out, but then wait for the complete version of the game to come out once it's no-doubt reduced in price.

Good luck getting Mortal Kombat accepted by the fighting community in the meanwhile.
You do realize that the last Mortal Kombat game already kind of got accepted by said fighting community, right? There was a tournament held at EVO 2011, and it's made an appearance at every EVO since. I'd say that getting it accepted by the fighting community is not an issue.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
RealRT said:
No it really isn't. Goro is a character that is pretty much never a playable character. He's pretty much always a boss character. This is a DLC that has no impact on the main game. Assassin's Creed 2 ripping a few memory sequences from the main story and selling it later as DLC is bad, Metro Last Light locking a difficulty level is bad, but 1 additional character is fine.

People getting angry at this or Alien Isolation's pre order DLC are some of the most entitled people I've seen. The base game and initial set up is what got you hooked, it's what they promised would be on the disc from the get go. You're not entitled to having every speck of work that has been made as an after thought/addition to the main base game. Just because they begin working on it before the actual game is released does not mean it's content that SHOULD be on the disc.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
RealRT said:
Harry Mason said:
Preorders will gain exclusive access to the FUCKING GAME THEY PURCHASED? Wow. Imagine that!

I wonder if I preorder Bayonetta 2 if they'll give me access to Bayonet-AAARGH HOW ARE PEOPLE STILL GETTING AWAY WITH THIS CRAP?
And the award for the stupidest comment ever and completely missing the point goes to...
Seriously. People are upset because the publisher holds a character hostage for preorders. That's a good reason to be upset about.
In a fighting game, the characters ARE the game. My post was very clearly anti-preorder-character-hostage shenanigans.

I'm pretty sure you just agreed with me, but decided to be insulting about it for some reason.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Well that confirms me not buying this game . Dlc is one thing ( and i don't even support that, sorry dark souls 2), but needing to pre-order a game to get a character for a FIGHTING GAME? Nope, not doing it.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
thebobmaster said:
Absolutionis said:

You do realize that the last Mortal Kombat game already kind of got accepted by said fighting community, right? There was a tournament held at EVO 2011, and it's made an appearance at every EVO since. I'd say that getting it accepted by the fighting community is not an issue.
You mean the EVO 2011 that banned all DLC characters?

http://www.giantbomb.com/evo-championship-series/3015-7054/forums/evo-2011-news-schedule-dates-and-times-all-mk9-dlc-505475/

I guess I did indeed forget. Still seems like an awful way to appeal to the fighting game community.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Damn, I actually wanted to get this one day one. I guess now I'll have to wait and get it further down the line (when it comes with all of the DLC) so that my purchase won't be supporting this anti-consumer practice.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Absolutionis said:
You mean the EVO 2011 that banned all DLC characters?

http://www.giantbomb.com/evo-championship-series/3015-7054/forums/evo-2011-news-schedule-dates-and-times-all-mk9-dlc-505475/

I guess I did indeed forget. Still seems like an awful way to appeal to the fighting game community.
Don't understand why you think that is relevant. DLC/Exclusive characters being banned is the norm
EVO doesn't support those practices... but they'd support yearly releases if they happened so just saying so you don't get the wrong idea.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I simply do not get the hate for pre-order bonuses. They cost you, wait for it, nothing. All you have to do is say, "I'd like to put five dollars towards this game I intend to purchase in the future."[footnote]Unless you're pre-purchasing from Steam or Origin or another digital distribution service, but that's a whole other can of worms.[/footnote] You don't spend a dime more than you would for the base game, so what's the fuss?

Nintendo pulls this kind of stuff all the time, and no one raises hell over it. Shiny Beldum in the Generation 3 remakes, anyone? I just don't understand why this tiny thing tacked on at the end is like the seal of Satan's letters.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Flammablezeus said:
Damn, I actually wanted to get this one day one. I guess now I'll have to wait and get it further down the line (when it comes with all of the DLC) so that my purchase won't be supporting this anti-consumer practice.
You know that will change nothing. IGC sign: If DLC wins, we riot. Reality: If DLC wins, we whine on the internet...and will watch the product anyway.

DLC is over with management and the majority of people brother jack dude. They ain't depushing someone who is white hot after going over Expansion pack. DLC simply sells too much merch to be sent down the card.

TexDangerfield

Jun 11, 2011
Yet more reasons that gaming is becoming more irrelevant to me. I'm just beefed with the fact they game doesn't come out until next year and already DLC is being talked about.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I got the previous Mortal Kombat and all they did was have some exclusive skins, DLC characters came later, but locking a character off, no thanks. Won't be getting it day one most likely (Depends on if I have a PS4 by then as well, but this does not help.) since that's cutting real content.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Harry Mason said:
RealRT said:
Harry Mason said:
Preorders will gain exclusive access to the FUCKING GAME THEY PURCHASED? Wow. Imagine that!

I wonder if I preorder Bayonetta 2 if they'll give me access to Bayonet-AAARGH HOW ARE PEOPLE STILL GETTING AWAY WITH THIS CRAP?
And the award for the stupidest comment ever and completely missing the point goes to...
Seriously. People are upset because the publisher holds a character hostage for preorders. That's a good reason to be upset about.
In a fighting game, the characters ARE the game. My post was very clearly anti-preorder-character-hostage shenanigans.

I'm pretty sure you just agreed with me, but decided to be insulting about it for some reason.
Then the award for the stupidest comment ever AND completely missing the point goes to me. Sorry there, mate.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
bug_of_war said:
RealRT said:
No it really isn't. Goro is a character that is pretty much never a playable character. He's pretty much always a boss character. This is a DLC that has no impact on the main game. Assassin's Creed 2 ripping a few memory sequences from the main story and selling it later as DLC is bad, Metro Last Light locking a difficulty level is bad, but 1 additional character is fine.

People getting angry at this or Alien Isolation's pre order DLC are some of the most entitled people I've seen. The base game and initial set up is what got you hooked, it's what they promised would be on the disc from the get go. You're not entitled to having every speck of work that has been made as an after thought/addition to the main base game. Just because they begin working on it before the actual game is released does not mean it's content that SHOULD be on the disc.
As a guy below said, in a fighting game characters are the game. And they clearly planned this all from the beginning, I well damn guarantee you that Goro is on disc. I'm okay with paying extra for extra content - but not for the things they ripped out of the game. This is the equivalent to Mass Effect 3's prothean character.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
RealRT said:
As a guy below said, in a fighting game characters are the game. And they clearly planned this all from the beginning, I well damn guarantee you that Goro is on disc. I'm okay with paying extra for extra content - but not for the things they ripped out of the game. This is the equivalent to Mass Effect 3's prothean character.
Of course characters are planned, but in the story and in game Goro is supposed to be much tougher and deal higher damage than other characters. This character is not essential for the game, it adds no weight in the grand scheme of things. It's essentially a character for fans whom know what his presence is. As for the Prothean, I didn't find that bullshit either as it was content for fans. Him not being in the main story had no impact on how it unfolded, it was basically just more back story, which is nice but necessary.

If this is such an offence to you, wait till the MKX Komplete Edition comes out so as that you don't have to pay for it all or pre order it.