Mortal Kombat X Release Date, Goro Pre-Order DLC Revealed

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
bug_of_war said:
RealRT said:
As a guy below said, in a fighting game characters are the game. And they clearly planned this all from the beginning, I well damn guarantee you that Goro is on disc. I'm okay with paying extra for extra content - but not for the things they ripped out of the game. This is the equivalent to Mass Effect 3's prothean character.
Of course characters are planned, but in the story and in game Goro is supposed to be much tougher and deal higher damage than other characters. This character is not essential for the game, it adds no weight in the grand scheme of things. It's essentially a character for fans whom know what his presence is. As for the Prothean, I didn't find that bullshit either as it was content for fans. Him not being in the main story had no impact on how it unfolded, it was basically just more back story, which is nice but necessary.

If this is such an offence to you, wait till the MKX Komplete Edition comes out so as that you don't have to pay for it all or pre order it.
He also is supposed to be much slower, as per traditional fighting game rules. As for the prothean, 90% of files of him were in the main game, people could activate him with a save file. And he was just as important as, say, Garrus or Vega. Hell, I remember that one cutscene in London in which Shepard gives the final speech to his party members and there's this one random soldier guy hanging around and I was wondering what the fuck is he doing there and then I understood that he was a stand-in for Javik - and he was - and it's so distracting and jarring and sloppy as hell. Javik was obviously going to be in the main game, but then EA said "Nope! Pre-order bonus! Or buy him with those bullshit BioWare points". Here I see the same damn thing. You know what would be a better pre-order bonus? Something that's bloody unimportant. Like, you know, klassic costumes, something they did with the previous game. That was harmless. Because costumes are extras, characters are very much not.
And yeah, that's what I'm going to do. And I'm going to keep complaining. To let them know why I am doing that, because I'm pretty sure community managers monitor sites and look for reactions.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
"Gamers who pre-order ... will be privy to an exclusive DLC character...Players interested ... will have plenty of options when it comes to pre-ordering the game."

See this? This is NOT what DLC is made for. The game is still a ways out from release (so you can't use the "disc has gone gold" defense). I know there's the argument about waiting for GOTY edition. I am just morally opposed to having such content gated off behind a pay wall ("DLC" is likely a 5MB unlock code). What if the game never gets traction? Not likely to happen here, but still...other games have been subject to this particular issue, and their DLC remains inaccessible.

Another point: on Dragon Age 2, my preorder got screwed (this can happen from store closings, database mixups, or any number of things). When I went in to renew my preorder, I had lost the ability to get the free upgrade for the DLC. I refused to pay extra for something that should have been free. As a result, I still have yet to buy the game. So, Bioware never got my money for DA2 (borrowed from a friend), and I was perfectly willing to give it to them.

All these arguments have been made before. However, this particular event proves to me that Netherrealms has now fallen prey to the same practices Capcom is known for. This, combined with the rip-off that was the Season Pass for "Injustice," and I refuse to buy their games at launch anymore. So many more things I could say right now...but those who agree with me understand, and those who don't won't care anyway...

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
RealRT said:
Harry Mason said:
RealRT said:
Harry Mason said:
Preorders will gain exclusive access to the FUCKING GAME THEY PURCHASED? Wow. Imagine that!

I wonder if I preorder Bayonetta 2 if they'll give me access to Bayonet-AAARGH HOW ARE PEOPLE STILL GETTING AWAY WITH THIS CRAP?
And the award for the stupidest comment ever and completely missing the point goes to...
Seriously. People are upset because the publisher holds a character hostage for preorders. That's a good reason to be upset about.
In a fighting game, the characters ARE the game. My post was very clearly anti-preorder-character-hostage shenanigans.

I'm pretty sure you just agreed with me, but decided to be insulting about it for some reason.
Then the award for the stupidest comment ever AND completely missing the point goes to me. Sorry there, mate.
It's all good, man. As long as we all agree holding characters hostage to squeeze more money out of gamers is a douche move.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
RealRT said:
He also is supposed to be much slower, as per traditional fighting game rules. As for the prothean, 90% of files of him were in the main game, people could activate him with a save file. And he was just as important as, say, Garrus or Vega. Hell, I remember that one cutscene in London in which Shepard gives the final speech to his party members and there's this one random soldier guy hanging around and I was wondering what the fuck is he doing there and then I understood that he was a stand-in for Javik - and he was - and it's so distracting and jarring and sloppy as hell. Javik was obviously going to be in the main game, but then EA said "Nope! Pre-order bonus! Or buy him with those bullshit BioWare points". Here I see the same damn thing. You know what would be a better pre-order bonus? Something that's bloody unimportant. Like, you know, klassic costumes, something they did with the previous game. That was harmless. Because costumes are extras, characters are very much not.
And yeah, that's what I'm going to do. And I'm going to keep complaining. To let them know why I am doing that, because I'm pretty sure community managers monitor sites and look for reactions.
Personally I thought the Prothean character was not really required to fully enjoy the game. I played it without him and then with him, and whilst he added a nice perspective, I still didn't really feel as though the game without him was lacking. Even on the weeks coming up to ME3 I wasn't really angry or jealous about not having him as a character because I felt as though that would make my story different from a mate whom did get the DLC. It was actually quite fun discussing the differences between our two playthroughs.

Now, if say Mortal Kombat X made Scorpion, Sub Zero, Sonya Blade, Johnny Cage, Raiden or Liu Kang pre order DLC, than I woulod be right there with you complaining. But because he's never been a main playable character I really don't feel as though I'm being ripped off. I mean, I'm gonna give them money eventually anyway, they've proven (to me at least) that they're quite capable of making high quality, fun and entertaining content, so why is it so bad for them to say, "Look, if you give us the cash now, you can have this nice little bonus"? Music festivals often have a sorta "pre purchase tickets now for better seats, goodie bag etc.", same with movies, novels, art exhibitions, sport events etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this particular incident is nothing bad. They've proved they can make a good fighting game, the content itself whilst nice is nothing that will leave the game lacking if not purchased, and at least I'm guaranteed a copy when it's released! (No, seriously, all the retail shops (both game specific and general) in my area have such low quantities of stock for PS4 games that it's actually becoming a requirement for me to pre order now (took me a while to get AC:Black Flag, Last of Us Remastered and Watch Dogs).

Nanondorf

May 6, 2014
Hmph, making a staple character into DLC? Never much cared about Goro, but this just feels a bit off. Next thing you know, Kung Lao and Raiden are unlockable only by DLC, and all you will download is a redemption code because all the character assets were already in the software you bought.