Most awesome national anthem?

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Ruffythepirate said:
"America, fuck yeah" from Team America. Seriously USA, why have you not yet adopted that song as your national anthem?
Because the entire song is an insult towards the US. Just listen to the lyrics. They go "Fuck yeah!" about things in turn, but the moment stuff like "Sportsmanship" and "Books" pop up, no one says a word.

It's a jab at the country, not praise. :p

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Вперёд Россия!

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Ehh, the closest I am to being Canadian is having some distant relatives (and a few friends) from Canada, but I would cast O, Canada as "the best".

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
A lot of people, not me included, seem to like the Finnish national anthem. I posted this one, to get a more relaxed verison, instead of yet another heavy orchestrated anthem. Also, because in this one they're singing in both our national languages.

Personally, I love the European Union's "Anthem", and also, "Oh Canada".

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
Duffeknol said:
I'll just say my own (the Netherlands), simply cause it's the oldest in the world, and therefore the truest.
How does age make it more true than other anthems? Besides, the melody was stolen from an existing chant by French protestants, so that just leaves the lyrics. And when it comes to the words themselves the Japanese were way ahead with a national poem dating from the ninth century.

And how exactly is it "the truest"? It's basically a guy saying "Hi, I'm German and I've always honored the king of Spain", followed by a whole lot of christian nonsense. Is that what you'd call the true identity of the Netherlands in a nutshell?

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
I'm from Holland and although the anthem doesnt sound bad and the first verses show pride in the country it was the most horrible song in the world to play during the World Cup.

See... We played against Spain and the anthem has one line that goes like this "...the King of Spain I've honored.."
Right... so much for pride there.

I like the European and the Soviet most but only because of the melody. Not the text.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Obviously the EU's is the best--it was composed by Beethoven! But the Soviet one is really awesome too.

I like ours (Canada's) but it's so easy to do it wrong. Every couple of years there's a national debate about whether the English lyrics are sexist or exclusionary because of references to God and "all our sons command". Hilariously, the French lyrics have been about militant Christian imperialism for almost 130 years and no one ever seems to care.

Has anyone else noticed that the Chinese anthem sounds like the theme music to an old western movie? I almost expected to see John Wayne riding a horse across the plains.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I've always been fond of Canada's and Russia's Anthems.

Being a Finn and whilst on the subject, Finlands national anthem should really be this:
It's been discussed on a national level on several occasions, as it would fit a lot better. If this were a national anthem (as it is thought to be by many), it would be my pick.

By a Finnish choir

The hymn. (Considering it's naturally in Finnish and here sung by a Japanese choir, it's extremely well pronounced)

The current anthem

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Why, the American one of course. What could be better than commemorating a battle we were losing with a poem later set to the tune of drinking song popular in the country that was beating us, composed on the deck of one of their warships?

Seldom

Aug 15, 2010
Ha, I'm Canadian too. Our anthem serves its purpose; It's not necessarily catchy, and the name isn't too imaginative, but the song's extremely memorable. I guess. What else do you need?

Bohemian Waltz

Oct 3, 2010
Falseprophet said:
Has anyone else noticed that the Chinese anthem sounds like the theme music to an old western movie? I almost expected to see John Wayne riding a horse across the plains.
I'm so glad somebody else thought so. I thought it was a joke the first time I heard it.

BennoTheDutch

Jun 7, 2010
I like the Russian/Soviet one, the American one, the British one and (like almost everyone else) my own national anthem:
width="480" height="385">

Aug 1, 2010
The only one I have even heard is the American one and it sucks a hard one. No one can sing it, no remembers it, the words make no sense and it was written when the US was getting it's ass kicked.

After listening to a couple of these, I have to go with the awesomeness that is Russia.

EDIT: WAIT! I choose the [i/]alternate[/i] American national anthem.
P.S anyone dumb enough to not get the parody, should not be post here.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
Cmwissy said:
Boemmel said:
Although I really like the European Anthem, technically, us crazy Europeans still have sovereign countries each with their own National Anthems :)
Meh, it's comparable to a Confederation, for example, I imagine if the South had won the American civil war, America would be a lot like the European Union......But with slaves.

7moreDead said:
*Stands up*
It's a shame England doesn't get it's own anthem, I mean, we could have England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland with their own, and then the UK with God Save the Queen.

Also, for any people in the Commonwealth, is God save the Queen actually played anymore?

That would be awesome. I vote Jerusalem for the English one... or possibly Time Is Running Out by Muse. Not the whole song, just the bass intro. You could have people doing contemporary jazz dance to the national anthem.

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
Guiles theme. National Anthem of The United States.

Its more American then Apple Pie Baseball and Bald Eagles PUT TOGETHER.