Most boring game you've ever played.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Games, especially RPGs, that don't give immediate gratification (where you slowly grow into doing the cool stuff over dozens, or hundreds, of hours) are going to be popular choices for "most boring" from most gamers who frequent these forums. Casuals being casuals, even if most don't see themselves that way, and casuals all wanting immediate, constant gratification or "it's boring, and sucks".

To be entirely fair there are so many boring games out there that it's very easy to pick some and it's hard to pick "most boring" as a result. I'd pretty much have to nominate any "Arthouse" game, most of which themselves state they aren't trying to be entertaining. These games can involve things like watching some guy sit in a cemetary, following some philosopher around as he espouses his theories on life, walking down a cooridor, watching surreal images, or taking a walking tour of an island while a narrator implies mysteries and answers which really aren't there. Oftentimes leading to discussions as to whether a lot of these works are "Games" at all given the lack of interaction or attempt to entertain, but they bear the label now, so I figure they count.

I pretty much figured I'd mention them as prattling out names (Cooridor, Dear Esther, etc...) would probably become a pretty big list.

Then of course there are legions of really bad visual novels out there along with the good ones, really repetitive hentai games, and things like that. Not to mention "edutainment" games with titles like "Math Blaster" or whatever. :)

In general if the guys designing the game tell you it wasn't intended to be "fun" it's not. The people who rate these things highly usually admit to being bored to tears, but do so because of the innovation or eventual long-winded point. Progressing games as art being more important than whether they entertain you or not. Sort of like some butt-ugly masterpiece painting which demonstrates some kind of color contrast or stylistic visual trick more than trying to be pretty/cool/entertaining. You know like... multi colored lines on a canvas... or some dude who threw buckets of paint at a canvas while on LSD and then probably managed to sell it to someone with money who was high enough on shrooms to think it talked to them or something, and then talked it up to try and justify it being worth hundreds of thousands of dollars later (which is frankly the only explanation for some of these paintings that could possibly make sense to me). :)

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Digi7 said:
- Oblivion. Completely boring and, on a sidenote, bloody ugly. I am quite enjoying Skyrim though...

- All of the Fable series. Just... Fuck...

- Mass Effect 1&2. Bored the shit out of me, however I quite liked some of the choice sections.

- Lost Planet 2. No idea why I bought that shit, but I WAS drunk. Worst shooter I have played in a long time.

- LOTR Conquest. Do I even have to say anything about this bloody game? In my defence it was really cheap...

- Dragon Age Origins. Ugly, stupid, despised the story, bored me to tears.

Seeing as how all but 1 (or 2, never played LOTR Conquest) of the games mentioned are RPGs maybe you should just steer clear of any RPG games. (Fable 3 sucks major ass though so yeah, agree with you there)

Sep 3, 2011
Dragon Age, not only was the combat off and hard to use but the story was off and random too to make things better i hated pretty much everyone in it by the end of the 5 hours i played

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Jynthor said:
Oblivion had way more interesting quests than Skyrim, you actually had quests which involved more than going to a dungeon and killing crap.

Sure, Skyrim is an improvement over Oblivion in some ways, but in quests? No way.

As for same-ish county, Snowy mountains in the north, dense forests in the centre, marshes in the south, plains in the west and several other things, Plenty of variety.
I dunno, I seem to remember having to close a lot of god damn Oblivion gates in "Oblivion", but apart from that the quests were somewhat varied. As to the Draugr I never really got bored of them, especially when a bearded woman Draugr with big boobs comes running at me with no weapon, always gave me a laugh. The Draugr are just Skyrim's Oblivion gates and lets be fair, at least they didn't take as long as the gates

zpm4737

Dec 25, 2008
Dark Souls absolutely bored me to tears. It's so repetitive and it tells you nothing about itself. I played it for at least 5 hours and did't get past the first area. It's not even like it was too difficult, it just requires so much grinding, and constant attention.
The difficulty wasn't even all that well done. It's only difficult because if you aren't totally focused on the game, basic enemies can wreck your shit. It wasn't hard, it just required constant vigilance, and that made it incredibly boring and impossible to engage with.

Arcobalen

Aug 17, 2011
Red Faction: Armageddon. Bought it in the latest humble bundle, played and hour or two of and and realised I wasn't having much fun. It felt... samey.

tlgAlaska

Dec 6, 2010
Dinner Date [http://store.steampowered.com/app/94000/]
I was curious how playing a subconscious translates into game mechanics. The anwser is not well. It's a game that's just quicktime event-mechanics without the quicktime - Press 's' to eat soup, press 'c' to look at the clock. But nothing you do affects the pathetic, rambling inner monologue. Such a boring, pretentious game!

Bombchucker

Oct 2, 2012
Turok was by far the most excruciating game ive ever played. Their was no challenge and it was just altogether a boring fps

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
Essentially every RTS game I've tried.
And...any of those isometric RPGs, like Diablo, Torchlight, etc. It's beyond my comprehension how anyone can enjoy those.
Oh. And Limbo.

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
zpm4737 said:
Dark Souls absolutely bored me to tears. It's so repetitive and it tells you nothing about itself. I played it for at least 5 hours and did't get past the first area. It's not even like it was too difficult, it just requires so much grinding, and constant attention.
The difficulty wasn't even all that well done. It's only difficult because if you aren't totally focused on the game, basic enemies can wreck your shit. It wasn't hard, it just required constant vigilance, and that made it incredibly boring and impossible to engage with.
Of course it's repetitive and takes grinding if you can't get anywhere. Here I was thinking an easy game that you can just breeze through brains off is boring and unengaging but apparently some see it the other way around.
btw. You didn't go the skeleton route (graveyard, catacombs), did you? Because that would explain everything.

I quit Borderlands after about 3 hours so I guess that's my choice. It felt like Fallout with everything I like about it replaced with MOAR LOOT.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
putowtin said:
aguspal said:
Dragon Age.

Nothing good about this game. I honestly cant find ONE good thing about it. Its all a challenge.

Anyways I have ranted about this one game QUITE a lot, no more of this is needed. Its basically dull as hell. Even shitty flash games can beat it by a fair difference.
And it's one of my favourite games of all time, I love everything about it!
Just goes to prove that we're all different.

OT Just Cause II, Now that game bored me to tears!

Well, on that account I like how you take it in a good way, I like people like you.

And yeah, Just Cause 2 was IMO a boring game too (Well, that and the controls... god the controls. Maybe I suck or something, but I remember I was pretty frustrated with the CONTROLS in that game. At least in PC).

riccyd

Sep 27, 2010
RAGE
It's an easy target, still very boring but i should probably choose a controversial one like others have.
Final Fantasy 8
Story junctions mini games every things very boring i still got halfway through the damn thing so that must make me a boring person.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Gears of War 3. So much grey....and so many boring, linier, railroaded shoot outs. And the boss fights, my god those were terrible. Never have I yawned so much during a boss fight...well actually that's not true. I did do an awful lot of yawning during the third Death Sister boss fight in Shadows of The Damned.

Oh yeah and Borderlands 1. I liked the game, shooting was fun but after like 8 hours...it starts to get really tedious and boring. The combat remains fun but the constant desert environment really bogged it down, that and the lack of enemy variation. Heh until the end that is. My friend and I were simply blundering through the game at that point and then all of a sudden we see snow and blue people killing things. Was quite the sight for sore eyes.
Also we weren't paying attention at all at that point so we have no clue what was going on heh.

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
Assassin's Creed - the first one. Some amazing graphics, animations and premise aside the game sucked.
Such an empty, dull experience and it has put me right off the rest of the series.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect
Oblivion
Assassin's Creed (1/2 - quit trying them after those two)

bartholen said:
Awww you guys... I really like Far Cry 2 :(
I liked it, but there was way too much driving. Seemed like every time I got a mission, I had to drive to the complete other side of the map to complete it. If it did have that for every single mission, I think it would have held my interest a lot better.

David Huff

May 31, 2011
I know it's been said but Far Cry 2. I didn't feel compelled to play it I felt bored by everything that happened you didn't want to walk but the cars had to fixed every 5 seconds and you could never find a new one.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
Most recently: Medal of Honor: Doorfighter

Everything that's bad about modern military shooters made even worse than usual (made the BlOps 2 campaign feel open and organic by comparison)

Apart from that: Far Cry 2 (for the reasons everyone already said)

LOL: Because I played one match and all it made me simultaneously bored and infuriated, which normally only happens when I watch the news. In all fairness, though, that may be my friends fault for doing nothing but yell at each other for all of every match to the point where it becomes unbearable. One of them said it takes some time to get into it but I consider that like being told if I hold my hand on a hot stove for long enough it'll stop hurting (joke stolen from a Mr. Yahtzee).