Most Boring Opinions in Geek Culture - Part II

JellySlimerMan

Dec 28, 2012
Legion said:
Bhaalspawn said:
No publishers are not nickle and diming you. You just want all the extra content for free, and that's NOT going to happen. No they are not breaking their promises. They are not out to deceive you. The world of game design is a complicated thing, where anything can change, and words are interpreted differently by developers and their dipshit fans.
You seem to be implying that we should be grateful for what we get, no matter what that is. You mention supply and demand, but then call people out for their demands.

If a game developer releases a game and charges people extra for DLC, and people pay for it, you call it supply and demand.

If a game developer releases a game and charges people extra for DLC, and people do not think that the game warrants the price tag, you call it whining and entitlement.

And yes, game developers are breaking promises, because when a product is advertised as having a feature, and the final product does not have that feature, then that is false advertising.

Just like The War Z. Or are the people pissed off with that being whiny and entitled? That the game claimed to have features not ready to be released yet?

The people demanding that Bioware give out free DLC as "an apology for the ending" are being whiny and entitled. The people claiming to never buy another Bioware game because of the appalling handling of the series are merely taking their "demand" elsewhere, voicing their opinion of it does not make them entitled.
I think this video summarices how stupid the whole industry is when dealing with the audience:

Some call me a Conspiracy Theorist, i prefer to be called "Properly Paranoid". Years of exposure to Batman has taught me well.

JellySlimerMan

Dec 28, 2012
Redd the Sock said:
Actually he killed him off again in the next episode. He's doing an homage to (ripping off) DBZ and that was the use of the Freeza / Cell transition right down to himself cosplaying Trunks.

Though I'll agree with the larger rant: at least a few of these list items are things he's egged on and only seems bored once the conversation doesn't totaly shift his way. He has several shows to start more unique conversations, then reads the wiki page on supergirl and lists bad B movies instead. Seems he could be doing a lot better.
I saw the episode, and it seems that Bob couldnt resist making Anti-Thinker a "ME3 retaker/ranter". Because, as you know, only BRO people play that game, ama right?

Or was the retarded adverticements of EA who convinced him of that? So he doesnt fall for the Dead Space adverticement but he does for Mass Effect 3?? or he is just ignoring it just to drive his point?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Therumancer said:
I also don't think "Indie" games are the answer, to be blunt there is only so much that can be done with an indie budget and skill level. Your serious gamer wants his AAA technology, bells, and whistles combined with his demands for deep, smart, gameplay that is likely to make a casual go into brain aneurisms. Some indie developer coughing out a solid little RPG with his modest abillities does not equal say "Dragon Age: Origins", "Skyrim", or what games like "Wizardry" and "Ultima" were to their platforms when they were new (OMG, I'll need a 386 to play Ultima 7!).
as much as it pains me to agree with you (and oh god does it bring me pain) I am actually glad SOMONE ackowleged this

I play games for a certain kind of experience, one that alot of "indie" titles just don't deliver, and its not about being a graphics whore eather. I'm sorry but I'm not planning to buy a good gaming PC just so I can play somthing that could run on a friggen phone

vgmaster831

Jack of No Trades
Dec 15, 2010
OtherSideofSky said:

No, not really. That's actually terribly ignorant of you.

I realize you're a bit limited by language, but it might be a good idea for you to recognize that the majority of the most influential, defining, and interesting works in the history of Japanese comics have never been, and most likely will never be, translated into the English language or released outside of Japan.

I like English-language comics as much as the next guy, but the Japanese titles I'm reading right now include a beautifully illustrated biography of Cesare Borgia, a procedural drama about a folklorist conducting anthropological research and far-flung regions of the globe, an episodic detective story, an action-packed drama about a crazy woman seeking revenge against Genghis Khan and his armies for the murder of her people, and several collections of Moto Hagio's work from the 70s and 80s, including some excellent Ray Bradbury adaptations (but you'd never talk about anything like that, because discussing mainstream comics by successful female creators dealing with social and gender issues far more intelligently than most contemporary works which laud themselves on their maturity is so much less fun than than wagging your finger at crutches for bad pulp writers). If you're seeing the same story over and over again, it says a lot more about what you're choosing to look at than it does about what's out there.
I don't want to watch/read those "most influential" of animes/mangas because they are in Japanese. It's hardly wrong to prefer the English language now, is it?

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
vgmaster831 said:
OtherSideofSky said:

No, not really. That's actually terribly ignorant of you.

I realize you're a bit limited by language, but it might be a good idea for you to recognize that the majority of the most influential, defining, and interesting works in the history of Japanese comics have never been, and most likely will never be, translated into the English language or released outside of Japan.

I like English-language comics as much as the next guy, but the Japanese titles I'm reading right now include a beautifully illustrated biography of Cesare Borgia, a procedural drama about a folklorist conducting anthropological research and far-flung regions of the globe, an episodic detective story, an action-packed drama about a crazy woman seeking revenge against Genghis Khan and his armies for the murder of her people, and several collections of Moto Hagio's work from the 70s and 80s, including some excellent Ray Bradbury adaptations (but you'd never talk about anything like that, because discussing mainstream comics by successful female creators dealing with social and gender issues far more intelligently than most contemporary works which laud themselves on their maturity is so much less fun than than wagging your finger at crutches for bad pulp writers). If you're seeing the same story over and over again, it says a lot more about what you're choosing to look at than it does about what's out there.
I don't want to watch/read those "most influential" of animes/mangas because they are in Japanese. It's hardly wrong to prefer the English language now, is it?
There's nothing wrong with not reading them or with not reading Japanese, but there is something wrong with someone who has not done even that basic level of research making sweeping claims like the one to which I refer. I'd be willing to bet that Bob doesn't even know that the reason so much of what he's looking at seems like the same story repeated is the enormous degree of influence editors in the major shounen anthologies, and especially Jump, have over the content and progression of stories running in said anthologies (just another reason not to read them, in my opinion).

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I normally agree with Bob on a lot of stuff, but having just finished this article, all I can think is...

Bob, you make your living doing nothing but offering your personal opinion on various facets of nerd and pop culture. People enjoy it. I enjoy it. When you did that Heavens To Metroid episode of the Overthinker, I actually really dug your arguments. But this article just seems like you criticising people for doing much the same thing as you do. Did we really need a two-parter about how Sucker Punch is apparently brilliant (even though it's really just an inferior version of Brazil)? Not really. That was just your opinion.

Given how much you like to restate in your videos your opinion that The Expendables and Transformers are both terrible movies, I really don't think you're in much of a position to go round criticising other people for doing much the same. Not saying I don't enjoy what you do, because I do. But, y'know, why not just content yourself to throw out criticism from your little part of the pop-culture sphere, and allow others to do so from theirs?
Judging from some of his comments in his article, I think he already knows this quite well.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
This isn't informative.
This isn't entertaining.
This is just a man bitching about stuff other people ***** about.

Bob is literally getting paid to make lists venting his frustrations!

How did he manage to do that?!
(Seriously, I want to know, 'cause I want in on that!)

Mocking aside, there's only one thing on the list I have a problem with (or that I actually cared enough about to fully read):
3. Manga is superior to Western comics because its stories have endings.

Western comics don't have endings? What the hell! There are tons of western comics that had endings! Children Of The Salamander. Dragons. Roxalane. The Inn At The End Of The World. The original In Search Of The Time Bird - hell, pretty much every comic from the Collection Charlie or Collection Pilote: Mark Of The Witch, Beatifica, Tristan, ...

Oh.
Wait.
You're talking about those monthly U.S. comics aren't you? Right. Superman, Spiderman, X-Men, all that crap? Right.
Because the term "Western" equals U.S.A.
Sorry, forgot about that.

And even then, aren't there U.S. comics with endings?
I think Alan Moore wrote a few.
Or are we really doing the whole "graphic novels aren't comics"-shtick?

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Sheesh! There's a lot of unhappy campers here!

Before you post in this thread further more, go here http://thenicestplaceontheinter.net

Feel better?

OT: There's a lot of opinions that are indeed boring and that they indeed need to stop. Others are boring, but people will defend them nonetheless.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Vault101 said:
Therumancer said:
I also don't think "Indie" games are the answer, to be blunt there is only so much that can be done with an indie budget and skill level. Your serious gamer wants his AAA technology, bells, and whistles combined with his demands for deep, smart, gameplay that is likely to make a casual go into brain aneurisms. Some indie developer coughing out a solid little RPG with his modest abillities does not equal say "Dragon Age: Origins", "Skyrim", or what games like "Wizardry" and "Ultima" were to their platforms when they were new (OMG, I'll need a 386 to play Ultima 7!).
as much as it pains me to agree with you (and oh god does it bring me pain) I am actually glad SOMONE ackowleged this

I play games for a certain kind of experience, one that alot of "indie" titles just don't deliver, and its not about being a graphics whore eather. I'm sorry but I'm not planning to buy a good gaming PC just so I can play somthing that could run on a friggen phone
Don't worry about it, I get this a surprising amount here. Just because we're not likely to ever get along on politics or social issues doesn't mean we're not going to agree when it comes to games themselves, which is the primary reason we're all on these forums. :)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Archer666 said:
5. Fratboy "bro" gamers ruined gaming.

YOU made a "villain" in your show that is a fratboy gamer. Way to be a hypocrite I suppose??

3. Manga is superior to Western comics because its stories have endings.

As someone who reads both, you're wrong. Western comics also start the same story over and over again if they're old enough. But even then manga still ends.
A good point actually, especially seeing as we continiously see reboots and re-imaginings of well known super heroes. I mean we just had "Ultimate Spider Man" killed and rebooted into a hispanic not too long ago. DC has pretty much rebooted it's continuity what... 5 times now? The DC/Wildstorm universe (my personal favorite) was pretty much discontinued, and a few of it's characters re-launched into the "new" version of the main DC universe.

Ultimatly Manga seems to mostly be differant in that it rarely involves any kind of shared universe continuity. As a result when it reboots, it's not as big a deal, since you don't have to worry about how it all relates to the rest of the universe and continuity. To be honest I'm not sure if Japan even has any kind of large scale DC/Marvel shared universe... there have been crossovers, but nothing quite like this.

As far as the frat boy gamer goes, I'll give Bob a few points here again actually. I think he recanted that on "Game Overthinker" at one point, having a "war" with the Retrothinker over a lot of his changing perspectives. Other than his politics which are fairly consistant, a few of Bob's contridictions over the years have gotten me to wonder how much of his personal is genuine opinion, and how much is driven by his need to support his various shows by appealing to as much traffic as possible. In this case however I think he did kind of cover himself.