Most devastating loss of a save file

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Save files get corrupted, memory cards get lost, and little brothers overwrite your save files. So, what was your most devastating loss of a save file? Tell us about it.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Me and my little brother had finally gotten 100% completion on Yoshi's Story (many years ago). Then one of my friends borrowed the game, and his little brother managed to delete EVERYTHING. :(

DirtyMagic

Mar 18, 2011
For reasons unknown to me, my Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 save game with A LOT OF FREAKIN' HOURS of gameplay on it disappeared right before my eyes.

As in, it was there one second, then it was gone. Still puzzled up to this day.
Never touched it again. >_<

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
October 15th, 2006

AC cable for Gameboy Color breaks powerflow while saving a game file on Pokemon Yellow. All of my favorite Pokemon from 8 years of playing were lost. I had moved all compatible Pokemon off of my Crystal game in preperation for restarting that game.

I was devastated.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
I played Super Smash Bros. Melee to 99% completion, took me well over a year, got all the characters, all the stages, all the unlockables, high scores in everything that kept score and out of the 290+ trophies in the game I was only missing about 4, 2 of which were from save files of games I hadn't yet played...

And then my sister rented the Sims for GC, which needed over 100 blocks of space on a GC memory card, but mine was a 256 that was nearly full, so she decided to delete nearly everything from every game I had ever played JUST SO SHE COULD PLAY THE SIMS ON GAMECUBE!

I didn't care about a lot of that, most of them were games I had rented once and never played again, but the SSBM save... that stung.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
My little sister saves her copy of harvest moon over my almost complete copy of wind waker. Mind you, this was the second play through with the picto box.

I don't think I talked to her for a week...

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
Used to love making maps in the WC3 map editor, became pretty good at it too. Was this one map that I spent a couple of days on perfecting. I had loads of maps I was proud of but...

... I asked dad to help me transfer some files from my old PC to my new and delete the rest, forgot to tell him about the WC3 maps and he erases all of it :(

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I lost my ME saves at one point. All of them. I think any of these games that have choices that carry through should offer cloud save services.

SeriousSquirrel

Mar 15, 2010
Probably when I sold my old 'cube and all of it's accessories. Over the course of 4 years me and my friends had conquered Mario Kart Double Dash, and all in lust for 1080p graphics I sold our acheivments...I have since rebought and re-crushed that game

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I decided to play PoP Two Thrones, getting all the fountains. Almost done, just got the seventh, and POW. PS2 freezes. I then realized I hadn't saved AT ALL. Still haven't picked it back up.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Final fantasy tactics. Max level character that mastered every single job. I cried a little.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I wanted to replay Persona 4 recently, dug out the PS2, got the game from the bottom of a box in the garage, sat down, fired it up, memory card save data was corrupted. I couldn't start the game as a genius, caring, outgoing, diligent badass. Nope.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
My PS2 erased all my PS1 memory cards

So yeah lost about 40/50+ games worth of data - I think that wins

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I've probably got something worse that I've just forgotten (read: suppressed), but the most recent one was probably when I accidentally saved over my main file in Twilight Princess literally RIGHT in front of the final boss room. Yeah...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Probably the time I accidentally deleted my Pokemon Colosseum save file while transferring all my save data to a larger capacity memory card. I had all the Shadow Pokemon purified on that save and purifying those little bastards is a PAIN!! I still haven't bothered to re-purify them all.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
Disgaia 2, my brother and I worked on it for 200 hours...
And to make matters worse, we eventually found the lost memory card after an entire year... to make matters worse, rather than using my brain and copying the data, I waited until it got lost again. (And as a college student, I'm going back and forth between texas and Chicago, so I don't even know which house its in.)

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
The worst loss of a save file I experienced was when I was playing Ninja Gaiden (the first one on X-box). I was over half-way through, on level twelve or thirteen if I remember correctly, and had been keeping two near parallel save files when I accidentally double saved right before a mini-boss battle while I had very little health and no healing items, no talisman of rebirth and no currency to buy more healing items. I tired to beat that mini-boss at least ten times and on the two occasions that I did manage to pull it off, I got killed by a fucking bat soon after. The next day I deleted the entire file and traded the game in to Gamestop for credit.