Most difficult book you've read?

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
As much as I absolutely love the Song of Ice and Fire series, they are huge and depressing, and hugely depressing.

It's tough, but worth it to read them all though.

PlayingOpossum

May 5, 2010
Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce. It's a linguistic jigsaw puzzle. You know how watching a movie in 3D can give people headaches? It's like that.

Hlain

Sep 26, 2009
Thus spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche
It was a pretty old translation, and the book itself isn't easy to begin with.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Neptunus Hirt said:
The Lord of the Rings just trudged on, and on, and on.
It was a difficult read at the time, when I was eleven or twelve years old.
Agreed. I got through Fellowship after a couple of tries. Two Towers had me stuck for a few years before I could get past that one. I remember finishing Return of the King and being very disappointed. Those books, especially Two Towers, were just huge, meandering, pieces of literature.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
The most difficult books are the ones I couldn't finish, I suppose. But to quote an ex-girlfriend of mine, "it's not me, it's you".

Best most difficult book, as in I was compelled to read it despite twisting my brain around, was for me The Waves by Woolf. She wrote like Joyce should have written.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
theonlyblaze2 said:
The Talisman by Stephen King. My dad wanted me to read the book, but I kept putting it down for months at a time. He eventually forced me to finish it, and I gotta say, it was worth it.
I find no book is worth reading when its forced.

Charles Dickson's Oliver Twist, cause I read it and didnt want to. I more or less just read it so I could see waht the hype was about.

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
Foucault's The Order of Things and Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation both took me a couple of attempts to finish, yet neither are particularly long. By contrast, I found War and Peace fairly easy-going during my commute to Uni, and re-read Hobbit/LotR/Silmarillion/Unfinished Tales in their entirety several times (just before each of the films released... what an almighty geek).

L4WLI3T

Dec 29, 2010
When I was in 5'th grade i read all the Dark Materials books... (Golden compass, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass) And I had a lot of trouble. but I finished them, in two weeks.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Neptunus Hirt said:
The Lord of the Rings just trudged on, and on, and on.
It was a difficult read at the time, when I was eleven or twelve years old.
Same on every point, although I may have been more towards 13. Damnit that thing was a pain, I happened to get the 3 in 1 book too. So many pages! 998! And I read the prologue... too long.

Hlain

Sep 26, 2009
Thus spoke Zarathustra and In search of lost time

Good books both of them, but rather difficult language and slow pace.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I read through The Hobbit & LoTR in anticipation for the release of the films. After I finished them I found The Silmarillion. Fuck that book. It is honestly the most confusing piece of literature I have never finished.

My hat goes off to anyone who had the patience to finish it.