Most disappointing game you ever bought this year

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
Honestly... I was crushingly disappointed with Dark Souls II. It just wasn't a good follow up to the first game.
I'd actually say, after loving Demon's Souls so much, Dark Souls was, to me, utter shite. After finishing Dark Souls 2, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I went back and tried Dark Souls again, because, you know, opinions change, but it was still utter shite. I don't get the love for Dark Souls.

This year however, the biggest disappointment would have to be Infamous: Second Son, loved the second game to pieces and I would have felt betrayed by Sucker Punch if it weren't for the fact it's probably the best possible game I could expect for a low-budget (on AAA-standards) tech demo these days.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
This year so far, Divinity: Dragon Commander.

It's not that I think the game is bad, it just can't hold my attention for longer than maybe 10 minutes at a time. Not sure what exactly I hoped to get out of it but I'm obviously not getting it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
inFAMOUS: Second Son

A mediocre sequel quickly crunched out so that the PS4 would have a big hitter soon after it launched. The game's just an empty shell of the previous games, repackaged with sparkles.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Most disappointing game is easy and its Soul Calibur Lost Swords I love the series and this game takes everything good about the series and destroys it utterly the only good thing is the bringing back of loved characters but in a game this bad it dosent matter they would have been better off just releasing them as DLC characters for SC5.

I didnt actually buy that game though as its F2P (and I dont see why anyone would want to spend money on it or even play it tbh). I havent bought many games this year so maybe its Ninja Gaiden 3 razors edge on the WiiU mainly because it kept crashing because I had a duff disc but it just felt like a step down from Ninja Gaiden 2 which felt like a step down from the first.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ya might want to re-word the topic a bit...so I'll give both answers:

The worst game I bought this year - Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Not necessarily bad but I wasn't sure what to expect...I feel like I'm getting penalized every time I'm spotted but there seem to be unavoidable instances wherein you HAVE to have a fire-fight. This is my first game in the series and I don't know if I'll be revisiting it...at least it was less than $15.

The worst game I've ever bought - Sonic and the Secret Rings. This comes from a guy who owns a 32X, Virtual Boy and, has beaten Sonic 06...at least the other games can be controlled. You're not being pull forward nearly uncontrollably. Even Final Fantasy XIII has skyboxes that you can look at and gives you something neat to watch as you mindlessly tap "auto attack". Dragon Age 2 at least has a decent story for a majority of it. Sonic and the Secret Rings only has one thing going for it and it's the theme song. Once again; at least it was less than $15 when I bought it.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Aliens: Colonial Marines - It was only £5.00, and really it can't be as bad as everyone says. I like the franchise anyway...and Oh my god! what the hell is this garbage! eject disk eject disk! Hmm well at least I have a nice shiny tea coaster now.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Dark Souls 2.

Best Game of the Year... yet the biggest disappointment as well. It's just not a very good Souls game when it comes to atmosphere, lore, story, bosses, covenants, npcs, final boss...
ok, uuuum, the mechanics are rad, and the cloth physics are to die for. And even though the PVP is broken as hell I still find it a lot of fun, same for NG+ coop.
Juuust trying to shed some light on the thing... oh wait, FromSoft removed that too...

A strange beast Dks2 is. Oh well, I doubt Demons Souls 2 will be as disappointing!

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Since we are talking about games that are bought this year, I'll go with Bulletstorm. It started out okay, but all those fancy kills quickly turned mundane. Thus, after saving Ishi from the plant, I deleted it.

My dissatisfaction with the purchase is somehow soothed by the fact that I got it during PSN sale and it was rather cheap.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I have not bought a disappointing game this year.

I didn't even buy a disappointing game last year.

Or the year before that...

Because I've gotten very frugal and picky with my game purchases, I only buy games that I KNOW I will like, and so I haven't been disappointed by any game I've bought in four or five years.

Keeping in mind though, that is because I only buy like 4 or 5 games per year.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Dark souls 2. I don't think I even bought any other game this year.

It just wasn't very fun, it was easy yet still somehow a chore to get through.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Mass Effect 1. The character interactions seem fine (if a bit stiff, Oblivion style but more creepy), but I just can't bare the gameplay. I basically stopped really early in when I pushed through this pub filled with gangsters only to have a boss fight with somebody with way too much health and two turrets with too much health that basically one shotted my shield and then three more for me to die, and the AI is thick and can't keep themselves alive even with the medi-gel or whatever it was.

On the bright side, I got Saints Row IV on the same day so... smiley face.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
i think natural selection 2, i got it in a humble bundle, main reason i got the bundle, its kind of a like an RTS and FPS hybrid, and since those 2 genres are my favorites, i thought id like it, but that wasnt the case, at all, its an aliens vs space marines thing, and i think the main reason i didnt like the game, is because the alien side relies way too much on melee, and melee in a FPS almost always sucks and this is no exception

Hatebeard

Aug 15, 2009
Ryse: Son of Rome. All style and just bad. Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a close second but never expected it to be good, didn't expect it to be dogshit either but turned out that way.

On second thought, I'd have to go with DS2. Not playing the first game and hearing how good it was, I expected it to be a Ninja Gaiden kind of experience. It was just punishing without being fun (not a fan of the game's way of punishing hp length). I'll definitely give it another chance when I get around to it. For now, don't get the appeal.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
The Last of Us really disappointed me. I hate hate HATE the stealth mechanic of 'Throw a brick to distract that guy. Now throw a brick to distract that guy. Now throw a brick to distract that guy'. I never even got to any of the 'good' parts I'm sure, because I was so fed up with it by the end of the first zombie encounter.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
I hate to say it, but Dark Souls II as well. It's by no means a bad game--a solid 8/10 from me. But as a fan of the series there are just so many things that I don't think work that well. The game honestly comes off as what it is: two different directors working with a much larger--and largely different--team trying to capture the essence of the Souls games, but not quite understanding why people loved the first two games. They know people love the challenge, but they don't know that the challenge came from respecting the player. They know people love the lore, but don't understand how to tell a story that allows the player's imagination fill in the blanks without being too vague. They sometimes get it right, but more often than not slip up somewhere, and that's where the game just doesn't sit well with me.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
The Last of Us. It's the best game of PS3 they said. Best story and best mechanics, must play! The hype seemed so reassuring, and it looks amazing but I don't know guys I just get fucking bored after 1 hour of gameplay. The fact that I could never get into the Uncharted games was probably a big red light that I wouldn't like Naughty Dog's other big project, but everybody was just raving for this game that I had to try it out. And I just can't get into it.

I can see that both The Last of Us and Uncharted are great games, but the fact that they're so...cinematic, I guess is the word, turns me off.