Most disturbing thing you've ever seen in real life?

kgpspyguy

Apr 18, 2011
axlryder said:
A man getting crushed. It happened at my job. An old lady seemed not realize she was pressing on the accelerator in the parking lot. She ended up ramming into the doors, where a guy was walking out. She must have floored it, because you could hear her car accelerating very quickly and see the burned rubber in the parking lot. She took out a few bricks on the side of the building and then pinned him against the sliding door's frame. He died. I'm actually, in a way, the one responsible for his death, because I wasn't sure where his cigarettes were that he was asking for since it was my second day on the job. If I'd found them faster, he would have left sooner.

Anyway, nothing else comes close that I'm willing to share.
See kids, smoking kills.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I have to share two of them, as I can't pick one as "worse" than the other. WARNING: May be graphic. I can't put a birthday stamp on this, but it was asked for in the OP.

One was when I was about...10, and my dad had one of his old buddies living in the garage until he got back on his feet (a very recurring theme my entire life, even with strangers). The guy met a girl at the bar, and brought her home into the garage. At about midnight, dude comes out screaming saying we need to do something. My room was closest and I went in there first. She had OD'd, and was totally blue. He woke up and noticed she was like that. I was on the phone with 911, and he was desperately trying to give her CPR. As I was watching him do this, she...I guess vomits this green fluid into his mouth during the CPR and it makes him faint. I still see that sometimes just from closing my eyes. I also wonder why my parents didn't pull me out of the room...

The other one was when I was 14. There was a family that we were friends with my whole life, and I basically grew up with the son. One day the dad bought a new boat down in Florida and they were trying it out and partying a bit off-shore. The dad got a bit too drunk, and was being reckless on his way back and trying to jump his own wakes. When he hit one of them, his son was launched out of the boat and smashed his face into a pylon that was holding up a bridge. The disturbing part was the funeral. I'm sure they did the best they could, but his face was practically unrecognizable. I wasn't struck until I saw the dad practically climb into the casket and start weeping at maximum human volume.

There's others...but I think that's more than enough for today.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
putowtin said:
I saw a pigeon get run over by a wagon
... I never ate pigeon pie again
How does a pigeon get run over by a wagon? Did it silently creep up on it at 0.5 miles an hour?

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
In my final year of high school a girl in my year had a panic attack. She had trouble breathing with shallow breaths and wheezing. I was closest so I was the one to end up helping her. I felt like I was too slow to help her as I hoped it would just go away. She was taken to hospital. I didn't feel right until a few days later I bumped into her at the shops and she filled me in on what happened that she only needed air and was fine.

Fast forward a few years. My father had stage 4 lung cancer. We only found out about 1 month before at this time. My brother and I were staying with him as much as we could. My parents were divorced so my mother wasn't around and we lived with her. Late one night it's like 3am. I wake up to the same shallow breaths and wheezing. I freeze with my mind jumping back to that high school incident. All I remember thinking was this is the day my father dies. I jump up to check on him wake up my brother and got him to the hospital. He didn't die that day. Probably the most disturbing but also redeeming point in my life. I felt like I took the high school incident to heart to never let that happen again.

Then about a year ago my diabetic grandmother got very low blood sugar levels during a nap and couldn't move. I heard a moan from her room. I couldn't really hear it. I ask my brother if he heard anything he said no. I said I thought I heard something from grans room. He seemed undecided I say I'm checking on her. I find her unable to move or talk we get her to hospital and she is fine.

Whenever I hear wheezing or shallow breaths. I need to check on that person.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Easton Dark said:
putowtin said:
I saw a pigeon get run over by a wagon
... I never ate pigeon pie again
How does a pigeon get run over by a wagon? Did it silently creep up on it at 0.5 miles an hour?
Traffic lights were at red, pigeon lands infront of wagon and doesn't move when the lights went to green
What can I say, they're supposed to have a brain the size of a pea!

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Erja_Perttu said:
A video of myself passing out. I reckon that qualifies as real life because I lived it first and that was pretty disturbing in it's own right.

It seems weak compared to some of the other stuff on here, but watching yourself go pale, start choking and go limp as a boned fish all of a sudden is freaky as all hell.
I have passed out twice. On the same day, one year apart. Except I didn't go limp at first, but sort of span to the ground, at least in the first one. In the second I had just got up from a chair, so I sort of slumped.

adamsaccount

Jan 3, 2013
imagremlin said:
I was attacked by a violent mob once. Well, not just me, a group of peaceful protesters I was part of.

Venezuela, 2004, the president recall referendum had finished and some of us were unhappy. We suspected fraud. A group of about 20 people were protesting peacefully in a town square. I can vouch, there were no weapons and we were not violent. Then a group of Hugo Chavez supporters showed up. They were very well organised with trucks, motorcycles and even an helicopter to coordinate. These are covert, government supported shock groups to keep the population shut.

They surrounded us, and shortly after glass bottles were flying in our direction. Then comes the image I will never forget. Three of them got off their motorcycles and walked towards us with the attitude of "I'm going to kill you and there's nothing you can do about it". They were yelling "WE OWN THIS COUNTRY NOW". I can't really put words to the image, other than what I saw in their eyes was not human.

Guns came out, shots were fired, not warning shots. We all ran, I hid behind a column listening to the gunfire as people ran in terror around me. I saw another protester go by with a blood soaked flag.

Two were wounded that day, one was killed; could have been me. A few days later Chavez publicly praised the gunners on TV.

Yeah, that's the kind of country Venezuela became under Chavez. I left the place within a year, never to return.

Somewhat graphic images of the incident here:
http://twittervenezuela.co/forum/topics/en-memoria-de-maritza-ron-de

There used to be a gallery of photographs where you could see me, running for my life. It's down now.
Much respect to you, keep fighting the good fight

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
When I was a kid I saw two dogs pulling out of the corpse of a cat and they....split it in half.

Vertically....

Down the middle.

Was pretty fucking gross I must say.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
The Vrolik Anatomy museum in the Netherlands where I had to go a few times for my study.

It's mostly filled with stillborns in bottles carrying..very bad conditions. Like anencephaly. Or "cyclops". Or all the "bad" versions of Siamese twins. To know that all these "examples" could have been humans is a saddening thought - to know that they have been in bottles for over a hundred years isn't much better.

I did anatomy on dead humans to but that was way less worse as they were NORMAL. After walking out of Vrolik I felt like I only wanted to see healthy people for a few days.

Closest thing after Vrolik were brain-anatomy sessions. Where an lab assistant opens a cool-box with a head -skin,eyes, everything - in it. Said head had it's skull cut in such a way that you could open it like those plastic models. And then the head was passed around. Wut.

PMorgan18

Apr 6, 2010
I saw a man burn to death in a car accident and the other person was pretty banged up as well. I believe he lost his arm in the end.

Johnny Wishbone

Aug 17, 2011
I had a sweet government contract at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. One day, my boss took me to a highly restricted area of the building to watch a guy toss a stack of old, worn out bills into a shredder/incinerator. And by stack, I mean something the size of a bale of hay.

When I was told the value of that stack, I was deeply disturbed. It affects me still.....

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
In a biology class once, we dissected some rats. One dead rodent per group of 3-4 people. The assignment was basically "Cut open the ribcage and look around to see how the organs are arranged."

That wasn't the disturbing part.

The disturbing part was when one of the guys in my group decided it was a brilliant idea to skin the rat entirely.

With his bare hands.

And that cutting the paws off made this easier.

And that after removing the tail as well it would be a good idea to take that out to the hallway to show bystanders how pulling a sinew made the chopped-off tail wriggle about in a life-like manner.

I left just when he had beheaded it and was about to take a look at the brain using some scissors.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
This may sound mild, and just a normal part of life...but the most disturbing thing I've seen was my deceased grandfather lying in a bed, an hour before being put in a coffin.

It's just the difference between my mind playing back images of this man talking, laughing, living....and my eyes seeing someone cold and immobile.
It's obvious that seeing a deceased member of the family will disturb someone, but the way I lived that moment, it was just soul crushing.

Cherry on top of the depression cake? I couldn't stay for the funeral, because the cocksuckers at the cemetery were on strike, so couldn't bury him until 48h later.

Kaossdemon

Dec 3, 2011
When I was a kid me and my parents came across a cat that got hit by a car. It had a broken leg, but worst of all, one of it's eyes somehow got dislodged from it's socket and was hanging out by it's optic nerve. I remember begging my parents to take her to the vet(not like they were unwilling). It ended pretty well actually. The cat got stitched up and was adopted by my dad's company. It basically keeps them company at work ^^

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Binnsyboy said:
Probably the most disturbing was watching blood spurting out of my leg when I was stabbed.
I've managed to mess my leg up once by kneeing a mirror. There was quite a significant amount of blood, but I didn't go to hospital over it.

bioshockedcriticjrr

Sep 28, 2009
well these are nothing compared to some of these, but there are a couple that come to mind, each disturbing in their own little way.

at my high school. There was graffitti under the table, and it included such gems as "I fucking hate Kikesville" (the schools name was pikesville) and "(swastika) was here". It was the first time I'd ever really come face to face with legit anti-semitism

At a friends house one time, we'd been playing around on the couch cushions and for whatever reason my friends parents came down and started what I can only describe as verbally abusing him. nothing says a nice afternoon with friends like hiding awkwardly in the corner while said friend is berated for no reason what so ever.

On a trip to Israel, while I was waiting in line, I watched a man collapse of heat exhaustion, a rather blunt reminder to take those warnings about sunscreen and water seriously.

Two years later, on a different israel trip, after a three-day long hike, while we were taking part in closing ceremonies beneath some eucalyptus trees, there was an enormous crack heard above us, and while most of us managed to get out of the way just in time, our guide, who I was standing pretty close to previously was laying face down underneath a tree branch the size of a tree.

and lastly there was a time when I saw my grandmother, who was in the advanced stages of Alzheimers. She was listening to old music and her fingers were twitching on the arm-rests and here eyes closed tight, giving me the impression, even at the time, that she was engaged in some terrible struggle with the outside world. And when she opened her eyes, they seemed empty and void. she was a shadow of her former self to say the least

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Most disturbing thing I can think of seeing was el Museo de las Momias de Guanajuato

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/museo-de-las-momias-de-guanajuato

^A mummy museum in Guanajuato, Mexico. (disturbing imagery)

In case you don't want to risk seeing those images, here's the copy/pasted description of the place on that page.

Known as "natural mummification" it is the process by which corpses are naturally preserved. There are many different environments where natural mummification occurs, the extremely cold, very dry environments, and bogs are all places in which bodies will, rather then rot away, mummify often only to be found thousands of years later. In the case of the Guanajuato mummies, they only had to wait a few hundred years, and were not so much discovered as evicted.

Starting in 1865 and lasting all the way until 1958, the small town of Guanajuato, Mexico required that relatives pay a grave tax. When the relatives failed to do so for three years in a row, their deceased loved ones were promptly dug up and evicted. Weirdly, due to the extremely dry conditions of the soil and burial procedures the corpses often came up as well preserved if shrunken mummies. (The first to be dug up and found mummified was one Dr. Remigio Leroy on June 9, 1865.) The cemetery kept these strange mummified corpses in an underground --actually under the cemetery grounds itself -- ossuary in case the relatives came around with the money wanting a re-burial. By 1894, the ossuary had racked up enough mummified bodies to re-brand itself as a museum.

Though the practice ended in 1958 (three years before the first man flew in space) the mummies continued to be kept in the local ossuary/museum. In 1970 a Mexican B-Horror movie was produced: "Santo Versus the Mummies of Guanajuato" starring masked wrestler Rodolfo Guzmán Huerta. This made the mummies known to Mexican's but it wasn't until 1990 that foreign began trickling in, paying the cemetery workers a few bucks to let them in.

The mummies, because they were formed naturally, are much more gruesome looking then your standard Egyptian mummy. With gaunt and twisted faces like extras from a horror movie, and often covered in the tattered rags they were buried in, the mummies stand, lean and recline in glass cases throughout the museum. Perhaps the most shocking to visitors are the shrunken children mummies, and one in particular claimed to be "the world's smallest mummy" is no bigger then a loaf of bread. It is still unknown what exactly it is about the soil or the environment of this particular cemetery that produces so many natural mummies, and the mystery has given way to many superstitions about the mummies. A common local belief is that the mummification is divine punishment for acts committed while alive.

There is a gift shop that sells sugar skulls and effigies of the mummies.

My parents took me and my brother to this profoundly horrific place when were very young. My brother was 12, and I think I was... 8 years old. lol

Sure, Mexicans have a close relationship with the subject of death, and is something portrayed in a rather light manner. But at 8 years old, I haven't really grasped that concept. All I saw were a lot of mummies, and all I heard were the conditions these people died in.

The most memorable story I remember clearly was the baby ('the world's smallest mummy') and it's mother. Yes, the baby's mother was also mummified and on display.

The mother died of complications during pregnancy. She was pretty far into her pregnancy, but died before she gave birth.

So they went through the natural process of burying her in a poorly made casket out in the desert.

It was found and dug up many decades later, where a gruesome discovery was made.

She actually did not die. She seemed to have slipped into a coma when she was buried, but was still very much alive. She apparently woke up when she gave premature birth to the baby while still buried. The mother apparently tried to claw her way out of the coffin, as evidenced by bloody scratch marks left behind on the decayed wood of her casket, and her fingers were badly damaged. Naturally, she and her baby both died.

^imagine being 8 years old and hearing that shit? I remember the little baby and it's mother very clearly. Her mummified with a still swollen belly. And the baby frozen with a wailing expression on it's face.

It was one of the first times I ever remember feeling a real fear of death, and began to think about things far too mature in concept for my little mind. That experience kinda... [i]stuck with me[/i].

Would I take my own kids to that place?......Maybe.

Probably.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
tricky-crazy said:
Damn guys, you've seen some real shit during your lifetime.

As for me, the most disturbing thing I saw is my worst psychosis I've had (I'm schizophrenic)

I was in my living room, reading a history book when suddenly I heard ravens chirping increasingly louder, to a point it was almost as loud as an washing machine. Then the sky became darker for some reason, I look at the windows and I see a plethora of ravens screaming to my windows.
I screamed and in a flash, everything disappeared. Mind this happened really fast, maybe seven seconds max. When I realized what just happened I was so freakin' scarred I went to the hospital the next day. Been medicated since HAHAHA
Holy hell that sounds like something out of a Stephen King novel DX

Hope the meds are helping out!