Most impossible fan base to please?

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Any fanboy of any fan base. Ever.

A lot of fans are self entitled, whiney bitches, and are only ever satisfied if a sequal ends up being exactly like it's predecessor. Just looks at the whole DA2 mess.

The game is more streamlined.

"Nuhuh! It's dumbed down for the console tards!"

Character archetypes are not as important, so it's not as necessary to always have a 2 mage 1 tank set up, the same level of tactics is still required at higher levels.

"Nuhuh! It's just easier!"

The dialogue wheel streamlines conversation, making a more fun engaging conversation system.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAH! DRAGON EFFECT 2! WAAAAAAAAH!"

I could do this all day...
This times 10

silenthillXD

Nov 18, 2009
How on earth have the silent hill fanboys not been mentioned?! They get angry even off rumours, e.g the online mode in downpour, which turned out to be false. Even without that there was a major fanbase against homecoming, origins, shattered memories and even the room. Whilst I agree they were the worst. But some fans get way to protective over the original gameplay....although silent hill 1 & 2 will always be centre of my love for gaming.

GHOST001

Mar 31, 2009

/Thread.

Trust me, This is coming from a guy that uses and post on the steam forums everyday hahaha.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
scorptatious said:
Definitely the Sonic fanbase.

One video depicts of a guy watching a preview of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and whines that they are using the modern Sonic instead of the classic Sonic.

You think that's bad? Watch this FF fanboy:

Nov 12, 2010
Star Wars for only the first 3 are best and yet there is no point in obsessing over 6 hours of movie when there is a year of everything that is hated about Star Wars by the individual.
(Just saying what I see most often)
All I can say is,Chewbacca is the game and you don't mess with him and Solo Force Unleashed 2!

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
Kevlar Eater said:
scorptatious said:

One video depicts of a guy watching a preview of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and whines that they are using the modern Sonic instead of the classic Sonic.

I cant stop laughing! Is he serious?! I can't tell!

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
icame said:
DigitalAtlas said:
icame said:
Also, while I disagree on both points of Half life and mass effect, fine, lets assume for a second that you do indeed have to try to get into them. There's a difference between 2 hours or so, and TWENTYFIVE TO THIRTY.
I would like to point out that even fans of the game say it takes about four to six hours. Heck, some people like it from the beginning, hate it, then end up loving it again which isn't exactly a bad thing. I mean, I can think of parts in most Zelda games that I don't care too much for and their loved by almost everyone.

My point is, a slow start isn't reason for dismissal. If it was really twenty to thirty hours, I'd concur. Completely. That's too much. But it takes about six hours for each disc when you're taking it slow, and the game starts to gain interest right before disc two. It's during disc two where I can honestly say it wowed me. And I expected to despise this game being a die-hard fan of JRPGS such as FFIX, Xenogears, Lost Odyssey and the Tales franchise.

People in reviews aren't exaggerating when they say it gets really great twenty hours in. Twenty hours in is about the time you put in disc three and the world become wide open where the player gets access to complete free-roam, missions, and even goals to work towards. Once there, you realize that the whole game had been prepping the player for that part in general, so that they wouldn't have to master the battle system whilst trying to get lost, nor would they have to worry about setting up the story in a free-roam environment. It was actually a smart development choice that tried to satisfy both fans of the linear FFX and the nonlinear FFXII. It's just that the game requires commitment.

Also, I agree with you about HL2 and ME. However, I let friends borrow those games and it took a lot of effort for them because, unlike us, they don't play a lot of games. Thus, I was speaking purely from past experience.
Now I will quote yahtzee. You realize that a game getting good 20 hours in is not a point in its favor right? And unless all of horrible characters (Which includes every single one except the guy with the chocobo in his hair.) get jettisoned from the game, and the game actually starts to explain anything without handing you multiple fucking pages to read so it doesn't have to have well written exposition to explain things.

Also, please tell where exactly all these fans of half life 2 that say that it takes nearly 6 hours to get good. I don't think a 96 on metacritic, and a 9.3 user score really signifies a game being mediocre for half of it. It sounds like your just speaking of your own experience with the game, and speaking it as though it is the opinion of a majority.

I agree with you that a slow start does not mean a game should be dismissed. I thought kotor had a slow start and it turned into one of my favorite games. The point is that that was only an hour or two. That is a 'start' to the game. That is not half the game being slow, repetitive, and overall abysmal like FF13 is.

Finally, a game shouldn't require commitment. It should pull you in and make you want to keep playing it, without you having to consciously force yourself to. This is something that FF13 cannot do, because at the end of the day, it did nothing right. The only thing it did well was look good.
This debate is becoming impossible because: A. You misunderstood me. I said it takes 6 hours to get good and 20 hours to get really great. Quite different. B. You haven't beaten the game. You're claiming it did nothing right when it in fact did. It just didn't do the beginning right. Get to the end credits and get back to me.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Anime when converted to alive action adaptation. Sure, sometimes they manage to make it unique and actually pretty good (Ichi the Killer) but other times... well, we may be justified in saying that it will probably suck. I'll just say Dragonball Evolution and leave it there.

Actually this applies to a lot of superheroes anywhere. I love Spiderman and loved the Sam Raimi movies, even 3 to an extent, but I dread the upcoming Amazing Spiderman movie. Maybe if Christopher Nolan were directing it...

icame

Aug 4, 2010
DigitalAtlas said:
icame said:
DigitalAtlas said:
icame said:
Also, while I disagree on both points of Half life and mass effect, fine, lets assume for a second that you do indeed have to try to get into them. There's a difference between 2 hours or so, and TWENTYFIVE TO THIRTY.
I would like to point out that even fans of the game say it takes about four to six hours. Heck, some people like it from the beginning, hate it, then end up loving it again which isn't exactly a bad thing. I mean, I can think of parts in most Zelda games that I don't care too much for and their loved by almost everyone.

My point is, a slow start isn't reason for dismissal. If it was really twenty to thirty hours, I'd concur. Completely. That's too much. But it takes about six hours for each disc when you're taking it slow, and the game starts to gain interest right before disc two. It's during disc two where I can honestly say it wowed me. And I expected to despise this game being a die-hard fan of JRPGS such as FFIX, Xenogears, Lost Odyssey and the Tales franchise.

People in reviews aren't exaggerating when they say it gets really great twenty hours in. Twenty hours in is about the time you put in disc three and the world become wide open where the player gets access to complete free-roam, missions, and even goals to work towards. Once there, you realize that the whole game had been prepping the player for that part in general, so that they wouldn't have to master the battle system whilst trying to get lost, nor would they have to worry about setting up the story in a free-roam environment. It was actually a smart development choice that tried to satisfy both fans of the linear FFX and the nonlinear FFXII. It's just that the game requires commitment.

Also, I agree with you about HL2 and ME. However, I let friends borrow those games and it took a lot of effort for them because, unlike us, they don't play a lot of games. Thus, I was speaking purely from past experience.
Now I will quote yahtzee. You realize that a game getting good 20 hours in is not a point in its favor right? And unless all of horrible characters (Which includes every single one except the guy with the chocobo in his hair.) get jettisoned from the game, and the game actually starts to explain anything without handing you multiple fucking pages to read so it doesn't have to have well written exposition to explain things.

Also, please tell where exactly all these fans of half life 2 that say that it takes nearly 6 hours to get good. I don't think a 96 on metacritic, and a 9.3 user score really signifies a game being mediocre for half of it. It sounds like your just speaking of your own experience with the game, and speaking it as though it is the opinion of a majority.

I agree with you that a slow start does not mean a game should be dismissed. I thought kotor had a slow start and it turned into one of my favorite games. The point is that that was only an hour or two. That is a 'start' to the game. That is not half the game being slow, repetitive, and overall abysmal like FF13 is.

Finally, a game shouldn't require commitment. It should pull you in and make you want to keep playing it, without you having to consciously force yourself to. This is something that FF13 cannot do, because at the end of the day, it did nothing right. The only thing it did well was look good.
This debate is becoming impossible because: A. You misunderstood me. I said it takes 6 hours to get good and 20 hours to get really great. Quite different. B. You haven't beaten the game. You're claiming it did nothing right when it in fact did. It just didn't do the beginning right. Get to the end credits and get back to me.
I know that. What I'M saying it that I got 18 hours in and at that point it had still not improved upon the dysmal characters, horribly tedious combat system (Auto attack, auto attack, auto attack, heal, repeat.), nothing being explained, and the horrible plot, as well as being more linear then a corridor shooter. The level of shit had stayed constant for that amount of time. Not six hours.

Again, you say beginning. It wasn't the beginning. It was the beginning, and the majority of the middle. That is also just taking your word for it that it suddenly becomes awesome because, like I said, if it still involves all of those horrible characters at that point then I don't see anything getting better.

I didn't say the game did nothing right. I said it looked nice.

XHolySmokesX

Sep 18, 2010
I'd say pokemon fans can be pretty bad when a new gen is newly announced and we start getting pictures.

Everyone gets all mad that all of the new pokemon don't look like pokemon anymore (Tbh, what does a pokemon look like??) and that they all look crap and that the new game is just gona be crap all like the others....

HOWEVER.....

As soon as the game info has been out for a while, us fans make a total U-turn and suddenly we love everything about the new games, can't wait for them to come out and the new pokemon games suddenly become the best thing that every happened to life.
Then you go out and buy like a gazillion coppies of each version and then get bored of the game after a few weeks.

Gotta love Pokefans, crazy like the ones you battle in game =P

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
drbarno said:
the sonic fanbase, they complain about everything that happens in the games,
Considering I have heard many Sonic fans defend Sonic 06 into the ground, I have to disagree.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Sonic the Hedgehog is a great example of a terrible fanbase.

"We want a Sonic game about SPEED!"
Sonic Unleashed comes out.
"No we want a CLASSIC Sonic game!"
Sonic 4 comes out.
"No! Sonic isn't supposed to have GREEN EYES! WHY ARE THEY USING THE MODERN DESIGN!?! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"
"WE WANT NEW VOICE ACTORS!!!"
Sonic Colors comes out with professional voice actors who've been in the business for years. Some for decades.
"NO WE HATE THEM!!! BRING BACK THE OLDER CAST!!! I'M LEAVING THE FANBASE FOR FIVE MINUTES! BE BACK IN A FEW!!!"

The sad thing is that SEGA is really trying to please the fans but they are never satisfied with anything they say. My interest in Sonic declined with Sonic Adventure 2 where I returned it to the store and said to the clerk, "Sorry I asked for Sonic Adventure 2 I got 'Tail's and Knuckles' Stupid Adventure" Sorry I just really am annoyed with that fanbase. Search up that video on Youtube where they show off the new voice cast and half the comments are people complaining about it.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Joey245 said:
"How come Japan gets Critical Mode and we're stuck with lame Proud mode?"
I think this complaint is fair... there are KH players like me who LIKE a hard game still :/

Quite frankly I never noticed the KH fans being hard to please... and I can't imagine ANY KH fan would try and say "the story is too complicated" because a deep story is one of the large charms of a KH game...
Personally the only KH game I have issues with is 1, but lets just call it a learning experience cos they fixed pretty much all my issues in 2 :p and I really hope they keep the BBS deck system for KH3... The deck system crossed with the panel system would be AWESOME but now I'm just throwing ideas around xP

And to the people saying Sonic: it's not that the fans are hard to please, it's just that Sonic Team seem to have become INCAPABLE of creating semi-decent games after the first few... seriously go play Sonic Unleashed or Sonic and the Black Knight, compare it to Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD, Adventure, etc and THEN try saying the fanbase is in the wrong about the complaints about the recent games...
Edit: ok, the guy above me is trying to say the sonic fanbase is part of the REASON the games are terrible... I can't really argue with that >.>

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
DigitalAtlas said:
I saw caps and wasn't going to acknowledge this post due to anger levels seeming to rise and the chances of misinterpreting my posts would increase. However, when I saw you referenced Aquaria, my favorite Metroidvania, I deemed this post intellectual and read it rather than skimmed it :p

On that jesting note, I completely agree about critics being corrupt. That important bit I agree with concerning games like Bioshock that greatly take advantage of intros. However, RPG's work to build every character and every bit of the world without taking advantage of amnesia or other plot devices used for skipping to the good parts. Tis the only reason I mentioned a need for games that require a level or two of patience. As amazing as Aquaria was, even that used Amnesia to speed things up.

-EDITED FOR GRAMMAR-
Yeah, I need to work on using something other than caps for simple emphasis. I can assure you I don't write in anger.

But I think even when you want well-established characters and cheap plot devices, you don't have to sacrifice a good opening. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney starts you off with a very short case that gets you into the gameplay, a tiny sampling of what characters are like, etc. It's all self-contained with no lingering questions for Case 2, and gets people interested. Similarly, an RPG might keep its opening segments somewhat self-contained and not give the idea of "everything is part of a bigger scheme" until they can assume the player is already hooked. Or, they can actually start the storyline midway into the action, such that certain pretenses are already set up enough for you to get interested.

For instance, rather than FF7 starting from the poor boy's village before it gets burnt to the ground, there is only one line of dialog spoken before you actually start playing. "Come on, newcomer." Then after a sweet dungeon, boss fight, etc, things settle down a little, and you learn things part by part.)

I too kind of think amnesia needs to be reduced in games a bit. Sometimes that means that your character will start off knowing lots of things you don't, but that gradually changes.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
scorptatious said:

The idiocy in this video astounds me. I really have no words.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Dr. wonderful said:
Waahh! Where is my Female!cousland Who defeated the archdemon and lived happily ever after with Alister who I think is sooo stupid that he can't handled his own affairs with out me there to help him?"

Gee, I don't know maybe somewhere in a tavern trying to escape your controlling ass?
Dude. I seriously just choked on my beer when I read that.

Only thing worse than the Alistair fan girls is the Tali-mancers. I love Bioware games, don't get me wrong, but some of those fans are...odd.