New Jersey
Country
United States
Cat of Doom said:
The Final fantasy fanbase

They will never be pleased with another FF product unless:

A mirical occurs and it somehow trannsends the "genius" of FF7

or

Square enix remakes FF7. Though they will still probebly complain it isnt as good as the original FF7
It gets really annoying when people treat Final Fantasy VII as the pinnacle of the series. VI and IX are the only games in that series that I can honestly say that I enjoy and absolutely love.

OT: People are fickle no matter what companies try to do to please them. People complained about the Mako in Mass Effect, and then they turned right around and complained about the Mako being removed in Mass Effect 2.

I love both of the Mass Effect games. The only complaint I had about Mass Effect 2 was the addition of 'ammo'.

eels05 said:
Am I the only one finding it hard to keep up with abreviated game names.
I know it takes an extra 8 seconds to type out the full name of a game and all.
It's annoying when people type out multiple acronyms and expect everyone to know what they're talking about.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
irani_che said:
at this point
I do not know how Duke Nukem can possible impress its fans enough to justify the 10 year delay. I mean, nothing short of this game elevating games to a recognized artistic medium, its writers earning noble prizes in literature, while it still is as violent and agressive and non-cover based shooter as possible, all the while keeping true to the previous installments.

It will still be good, but it will inevitably fall short
actually, i think at this point almost everyone is willing to just accept duke nukem for what it is: a call back to the time when fps's were new, and being able to carry two weapons was something that would have made no sense to the average gamer.

i can respect that.

The_Fezz

Oct 21, 2010
Um... Me.

I found myself criticising the Uncharted 3 gameplay because the melee combat lacks weighty sound effects.

Even though they've got 7-8 months to fix this.

I just like a good moan really, even if it's at one of my favourite francises.

Joey245

Jan 29, 2009
Kingdom Hearts fans.

Let me give you a few examples:

The first Kingdom Hearts game is unassailable in the community. Make any kind of criticism, no matter how valid or how kindly you phrase it, and you will be calling a flame war upon yourself. Personally, I think that the combat is a bit slow and boring, and the platforming was kinda lame, but I still love it. Yet, if I were to go to any KH forum and point those out, people would be tearing me limb from limb.

Even so, they were probably making the same complaints when the game was released, as Kingdom Hearts 2 (my personal favorite) featured no platforming and faster paced combat.

And the fans still complained.

"It's too easy!"
"Sora's an idiot!"
"It's got too many cutscenes!"
"The plot's too complicated!"
"Organization XIII is too awesome to be killed off! Sora must be racist!"
"Roxas is cooler than Sora!"
"How come Japan gets Critical Mode and we're stuck with lame Proud mode?"
"Why does Japan get all the super-hard bonus bosses?"

And so on.

Then we got Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, and the fandom got even more up in arms. It restored platforming from Kingdom Hearts 1, and also gave the combat a slower, more simplistic feel.

And how did the fans react?

"Roxas sucks! We want Sora back!"
"It's too hard!"
"There's not enough cutscenes!"
"Organization XIII is too shallow! We want Disney characters back!"
"The Panel system sucks!"
"Xion is a Mary Sue!"
"The magic is lame! We want to be able to cast any spell!"

And so forth.

Finally, Birth by Sleep came out last year, and completely revamped the series. It introduced the Deck command system, which allowed the use of any magic spell, any attack, or any item at the touch of a button. It also improved the platforming, developed the three protagonists a little more, and made all kinds of small and large changes to the series.

And the fans opinion?

"It's too flashy!"
"Command melding is too tedious!"
"Terra, Aqua, and Ventus are lame! We want Sora back!"
"There's too many cutscenes!"
"We got Critical mode, but it's too hard for us!"
"I can't beat the bonus bosses!"

You get the idea.

I'm almost ashamed to be a Kingdom Hearts fan because of idiots like this. Square Enix should just stop listening to these morons and make the game THEY want to make, not what WE want to see.

Because if it were up to us, we'd have a Kingdom Hearts 1 clone with extended cutscenes of every character making out with every other character. There, I said it.

Argh.

ekkaman

Feb 19, 2009
What is it with the word fan at the start of a longer word?

Fan-boy
Fan-base
Fan-atic

All bad people.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Soylent Bacon said:
Everything with a fan base will end up pissing them off no matter what they do. People tend to want things to only go their way, even if it's impossible, too expensive, or they are in the minority on the opinion that a certain feature would be great. Also, if a franchise is building up a lot of hype among fans, many fans are likely to set their expectations way too high and get disappointed no matter what the result is, because they only vaguely expect "something mindblowing," then spend so much time analyzing how fun it is that it prevents them from having fun.
Well put =) Pretty much this!

It constantly surprises me how much...er...enjoyment (?) people seem to derive from finding ways to tear a game apart, rather than finding ways to enjoy it. Obviously, if the game is total trash, you don't *have* to like it, but the way people go on these days you'd think it was compulsory to play games - if it were, I'd be finding ways to enjoy what I was doing, instead of get worked up about what I disliked.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
DigitalAtlas said:
The MGS fanbase.

They complain that the fourth installment is a giant movie, yet everyone before the game's launch was hoping for more of the extreme cutscenes the players got from the first three installments. Of course there's going to be double the amount, it's the final one and they know they enjoyed almost every cutscene.

Another hard one? The FF fanbase

"We need new gameplay'

They make FFXII

"It's boring!!!"

"We want a cinematic adventure!!!!"

They make FFX

"It has so many cutscenes!"

"We want a game with BOTH great cutscenes AND new gameplay"

They give us FFXIII, albeit a bit slow at start, the game is actually pretty impressive and fast-paced once you force yourself to get to disc two. But of course, twas hated. In fact, you could argue the entire JRPG fanbase is being far too picky this gen.
I've gotta say, I've played every FF from VI to XIII, excluding XI though, and enjoyed most of them until 13. Because the one thing that really killed XIII and XII for me, was the writing. Yeah, XII was fine, but would have been better if Basch was really the main character, and Vaan and Penelo weren't just added to attract more sales. But XIII? It's like Square Enix just wanted to be an encyclopedia's definition of "What could have been". Great gameplay, good looking scenery, potential to be a good story, and great looking cutscenes. But no, they had to bog it down with a large volume cutscenes and emphasis on rather badly written characters.

Anyways, after that rant, I'd say the most impossible to please fanbase is the players of Minecraft, judging from how much /v/ hates Notch right now.

Also, on the flipside, SMT players, specifically, the Persona players. It looks like all you have to do to make a critically acclaimed 4th installment is lower the amount of tsundere bitches relevant to the plot and change Nyx to Izanami.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
drbarno said:
the sonic fanbase, they complain about everything that happens in the games,
There's a good reason for that. I'm not a hardcore Sonic fan and even I think his newer games are shit.

Rudy Johnson

Apr 3, 2011
Looking at all the Sonic fans one really have me thinking.

There have been many times I (directly or indirectly) have been accused of not being a "true Sonic fan" because of my liking of the newer games (I've played Sonic since the Genesis days, so everyone knows, and Sonic 3 and Knuckles remains my vote for the best game of the series) and the fact that I actually like some of the new characters.

Wow, because I don't follow everyone else blindly I'm obviously not a "true fan". Do the new games have their problems? Hell yeah they do; I could list a nice few bits in all the new games which I think could be changed, improved, or removed. But as I said in other forums, the Sonic Fandom is Sonic's worst enemy. Let's look at the evidence:

Sonic Adventure got complaints about being too story-focused in both story telling and the adventure fields, so Sonic Team removed the adventure fields in SA2, and most all of them until '06 and Unleashed; and the reason was because other fans complained about these elements being REMOVED.

Cream the Rabbit was an absolute beast in Sonic Advance 2; a polite, cute beast. Fans complained about that, so she was made into a passifist. More fans complained about THAT, and now she's hated by I'd say 80% of the fandom.

Plenty of fans complained that Sonic should be the only playable character (with some saying that he should be the only character to be focused on). Sonic Team does that with Unleashed, and fans complain that Knuckles wasn't included. Hell, I was glad that he WASN'T included; if he's always leaving the Master Emerald to go on adventures of having to find the shattered pieces yet AGAIN it kinda paints him as being unfit for his job, agreed? I love Shadow but he isn't and SHOULDN'T be in every game (although I'm still waiting for him to be in a good side scroller).

The Point Being: With so much pull and stress to make a game to make as much of the fandom happy as possible, of course the games aren't going to be as good as they were back in the 16-bit era. Bill Cosby once said "I don't know the key to sucess, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." The Sonic games of the past few years are proof of that; In trying to please everyone, they rushed out games and made mistakes, the quality wasn't as good as it was in the past, and Sonic Team received even MORE stress to please its fanbase. It was an endless cycle.

Sonic fans complain. They complain ALL THE TIME!!! Me, as long as they don't make something as unplayable as Sonic 3D Blast again I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
hell the election campiagn is basically a hype feast see president OBama got into office with 60% approal ratting and now hovers aroun 48% so. BTW nice icon

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
drbarno said:
the sonic fanbase, they complain about everything that happens in the games,
It's not the fans fault the games suck. Sonic Team is just terrible, there's a reason the old games are held in high regard: They don't suck.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Any fanboy of any fan base. Ever.

A lot of fans are self entitled, whiney bitches, and are only ever satisfied if a sequal ends up being exactly like it's predecessor. Just looks at the whole DA2 mess.

The game is more streamlined.

"Nuhuh! It's dumbed down for the console tards!"

Character archetypes are not as important, so it's not as necessary to always have a 2 mage 1 tank set up, the same level of tactics is still required at higher levels.

"Nuhuh! It's just easier!"

The dialogue wheel streamlines conversation, making a more fun engaging conversation system.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAH! DRAGON EFFECT 2! WAAAAAAAAH!"

I could do this all day...
WAHHH! Make LI Bisexual!
NOOOO! THEY ALL BISEXUAL! (Actually, theey're not. Well...Anders is...sort of.)

Waahh! Where is my Female!cousland Who defeated the archdemon and lived happily ever after with Alister who I think is sooo stupid that he can't handled his own affairs with out me there to help him?"

Gee, I don't know maybe somewhere in a tavern trying to escape your controlling ass?

"Why can't I changed my party gear?"

Because they should be allowed to use what they want?

"Noooo! They restricting my choice!"

And here my counter to that stupid statement.

"You want characters to be free to do what they want but you won't let them choose their own gear because you want to control it...then what the point of letting them do what they want?"

DA2 Players are annoying.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Joey245 said:
Kingdom Hearts fans.

Let me give you a few examples:

The first Kingdom Hearts game is unassailable in the community. Make any kind of criticism, no matter how valid or how kindly you phrase it, and you will be calling a flame war upon yourself. Personally, I think that the combat is a bit slow and boring, and the platforming was kinda lame, but I still love it. Yet, if I were to go to any KH forum and point those out, people would be tearing me limb from limb.

Even so, they were probably making the same complaints when the game was released, as Kingdom Hearts 2 (my personal favorite) featured no platforming and faster paced combat.

And the fans still complained.

"It's too easy!"
"Sora's an idiot!"
"It's got too many cutscenes!"
"The plot's too complicated!"
"Organization XIII is too awesome to be killed off! Sora must be racist!"
"Roxas is cooler than Sora!"
"How come Japan gets Critical Mode and we're stuck with lame Proud mode?"
"Why does Japan get all the super-hard bonus bosses?"

And so on.

Then we got Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, and the fandom got even more up in arms. It restored platforming from Kingdom Hearts 1, and also gave the combat a slower, more simplistic feel.

And how did the fans react?

"Roxas sucks! We want Sora back!"
"It's too hard!"
"There's not enough cutscenes!"
"Organization XIII is too shallow! We want Disney characters back!"
"The Panel system sucks!"
"Xion is a Mary Sue!"
"The magic is lame! We want to be able to cast any spell!"

And so forth.

Finally, Birth by Sleep came out last year, and completely revamped the series. It introduced the Deck command system, which allowed the use of any magic spell, any attack, or any item at the touch of a button. It also improved the platforming, developed the three protagonists a little more, and made all kinds of small and large changes to the series.

And the fans opinion?

"It's too flashy!"
"Command melding is too tedious!"
"Terra, Aqua, and Ventus are lame! We want Sora back!"
"There's too many cutscenes!"
"We got Critical mode, but it's too hard for us!"
"I can't beat the bonus bosses!"

You get the idea.

I'm almost ashamed to be a Kingdom Hearts fan because of idiots like this. Square Enix should just stop listening to these morons and make the game THEY want to make, not what WE want to see.

Because if it were up to us, we'd have a Kingdom Hearts 1 clone with extended cutscenes of every character making out with every other character. There, I said it.

Argh.
HOLY COW.

This an donly this. Forget what I just posted this guy is on the money.

BBS was good, and I want Kingdom Hearts: 3D.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Shirokurou said:
Final Fantasy. No doubt about it...
"How about more/less fanservice"
"Sequels to individual ffs yes/no please"
"Too complex/too simple."

And on and on.
I'm gonna agree with this. Each game is a slightly different take on the franchise, and everyone has a different favourite. You can't please one crowd without disappointing another.

It's also annoying that a lot of people will buy any new FF game without looking at the fucking gameplay first and complain that it's different from their favourite game in the series.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The_Prophet said:
Hey some people have different opinions so let's call them fanboys and make a thread discussing exactly how impossible to please they are!
Well there are silly fanboys, but your right, everyone with a negative opinion is considered a fan boy in this thread. And the people whining about complainers usually have incredibly low standards and don't think anyone should criticise a game at all.

Edit: Wait a second! Isn't a fanboy also someone who loves a game no matter what it's faults? HOW THE FUCK DID WE MANAGE THAT? Hey, guess what everyone, YOUR FANBOYS!

Me, I'm the worst fanboy of them all. I'm like Kathy Bates in Misery, so Shigeru Miyamoto better watch the fuck out.

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
GunstarHero said:
"MW2 is a buggy mess!"

"RE5 DLC is on the disc? ARGH! Why are they making money for extras?"

"Black Ops MP is the same as MW2!" (Plays it anyway)

"ME2 was terrible because it wasn't the same as the first one!" (Ok, that one I agree with).

My point is, every fan base I'm seen has by and large had a problem with every new game in a series/franchise. Have you noticed this? And which fan base is the hardest to please?

I'm prepared to accept an answer of console fanbases.

"M$ just want to make money on the 360!"
or
"PSN isn't perfect! I want my (no) money back!"
I think gamers, in general, can be a difficult fan base to please - but then again, so can the fan bases of novelists. Just *try* changing "canon" - like when True Blood was ported over to HBO - and the fans of the "book series" are all up in arms about "changes from the books" ... personally I enjoyed both the books and the TV show but I enjoyed the TV series a bit more. And I didn't expect them to be exactly the same.

I think people, in general, when they find something they rabidly like... don't want change.

I sometimes think that the MORE "rabid" a fan is (we'll call them... enthusiastic...) the harder they can be to please. A Game of Thrones from the ASOIAF series is coming out on HBO and I am just *waiting* for fans of the novels to jump over every little inconsistency in the TV series; instead of letting the story play out differently in a different art medium and allowing for some creative license by people OTHER than the author.

Gamers tho do tend to take the cake. You should hear the "rabble, rabble!" on the forums every time D&D changes an edition... ;)

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
Veloxe said:
Tax_Document said:
The MMO Market.

"Too grindy."
"I don't feel like I'm working towards anything."
"You only get more gear so you can raid."
"It's too repetitive."
"Too many random encounters."

Ect.
You forgot my personal favourite:

"It's too hard!!" (This one always makes me laugh)

OT: It's been said a couple times but basically the core fanbase of anything is impossible to please. If you made the exact same game they would ***** that you improved it. If you make improvements they'll ***** that you changed it.
I came to throw my vote to the MMO fanbase as well, as there are, generally, a lot of ways to play. You need to please (in no particular order):
1. Crafters - "I just want to build!"
2. Explorers - "The world is too <small / constrained by level / inaccessible>"
3. Progressers (i.e. HC raiders)
4. Casual players
5. RP'ers - gotta have emotes!
6. PvP'ers
7. PvE'ers

And doing one thing is sure to set off a firestorm of criticism that the devs should have been spending time on X, not Y. This will then be countered with an argument that non one does Y, and it should be Z that gets dev support....

Alden Hou

Mar 19, 2010
as a pc gamer, we are the hardest to please, we uphold a high standard of complexity and tactical ingenuity in our games, and the console oriented games are not catering to our needs.(don't flame me, you all know it's true).