Most intellectually insulting movies you can think of

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Idiocracy is a shrine built to worship the biases that make one a massive tool. No amount of Poe's Law justification can excuse the "humor", or indeed any of the movie. That line was crossed when the final form of "Fudruckers" was revealed.

If you'd like, it's just a nesting doll of morons. Each layer self satisfied that they're the smart one before it's realized they're not at the core. Oh god, I'm part of the problem now. I'm contributing! WHEN WILL IT END!

Johnny Thunder

May 18, 2014
Ever heard of Jerusalem Countdown?

I saw it in a dvd store once and it looked like a generic action movie about terrorists with a nuclear bomb and some American hero and his hot girlfriend stopping them, exactly the kind of brainless entertainment I was looking for at that moment...

Little did I know what I was getting myself into.

Never mind that this film had terrible acting and a laughably illogical script, the real issue I had with it was that it turned out to be a christian propaganda movie that was incredibly hate-filled, xenophobic and fearmongering. It was shamelessly biased towards the middle east conflict (100% pro Isreal that is), it demonized muslims and it mocked atheists.

The part that offended human intelligence the most was when the atheist guy sneeks into the house that he suspects is hired by arabic terrorists. Why doesn't he inform the police about that? Why does he have to go in himself? Oh, never mind... He finds out that the terrorists have written quran texts all over the walls and discovers their weapons and materials to make an atom bomb. So instead of alarming the authorities he keeps walking around the house untill the terrorists come back and when they're about to discover him he discovers his lost faith and starts praying. At that moment, god decides to take all the believers to heaven so his soul (and body apperantly) is taken to heaven and all the unbelieving muslims and atheists stay behind on earth...

I was shell shocked after watching it.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Vault101 said:
ok real answer "Remember the Titans"

this kind of pandering Oscar Bait, "oh look you guys racism is baaaaaad" I'm not against showing racism..I'm all for it, but this film is so...simplistic and annoying...arrgghhh I can't stand it
Argh I had watch this repeatedly and study it at school.
It was semi interesting to compare it to what actually happen. Like that most of the stuff about racism was very overblown and didn't actually happen and that Titans dominated from the start and were facing other integrated schools which to me is more uplifting than movie anyway. The brick through the window scene was worse in real life though. It wasn't a brick it was a toilet.
The worst scene to me is that over dramatic cemetery one which unsurprisingly didn't happen either.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Die hard 4 takes the prize here. Die hards 1,2 and 3 are ridiculously stupid but that was the point. They were also solid action movies with good characters and were generally fun

die hard 4 came along and it was dreadful. Someone has hacked into everything to prove a point. The supporting kid is obnoxious and is nowhere near as good a supporting character as Zeus or the black cop or the janitor from the airport.

I cant even explain why it insults your intelligence because it would be easier just to show you the movie. The first 3 were pretty damn stupid but at least they were good this is just pathetic

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
For me it was 10,000 BC which is a movie that is sadly stupid on so many, many levels. Cavemen hunting woolly mammoths are attacked by horsemen (riding up into snowy mountainous terrain) wielding swords (not invented for thousands of more years) who take slaves to what appears to be Ancient Egypt (!!!). The horsemen ride through a desert (the horses would DIE) and bring the mammoths with them for use as beasts of burden (again, woolly mammoths. In a desert) to build the pyramids? Its not very well explained what they were for except moving big blocks of stone. Also, what appears to be alien overlords run the slavers.

Anachronisms aside, the movie fails on geography as well; the heroes travel from a mountainous tundra to a thick rainforest and then to desert before winding up on a flood plain. That's pretty much the better part of a continent to travel and they do it on foot. Biology also gets the stinker since there are saber-toothed tigers (save for a few exceptions, they long died out before man learned to walk upright) and one in particular that inexplicably refuses to eat the hero because he saved it once.

Even common sense takes a holiday, the plot is not even plausible. In earlier scenes, its established that the hero's people can't speak the language of other humans (an agricultural society. Again living mostly in the desert and scrub land) so he needs an interpreter who can speak both tongues thanks to the serendipitous visit of his father many years ago. In one scene, the hero gives a rousing speech to the slaves with no interpreter and yet somehow, miraculously, everyone from various tribes can understand him perfectly well in some bizarre reversal of the Tower of Babel. For some strange reason, the bag guys really roam far in search of slaves instead of enslaving all the nearby tribes. Then when the dust settles, the hero brings back grain to transition his people from hunter-gatherers to civilized men. All well and good except that he received what appears to be maize or corn (from the Savannah? Somehow?) which can't grow in their tribal lands very well.

TL:DR? The movie is an equal opportunity insult to your intelligence regardless of whether your grounding is in the hard sciences or the humanities. It beats your suspension of disbelief with a lead pipe by having so many elements out of place and so many violations of simple logic and common sense that its impossible to take the movie seriously. As icing on the cake some (most) characters don't speak in modern languages (I would hazard to guess its either an exotic or constructed language) so be prepared to read a lot of subtitles.

On the other hand its an excellent teaching tool (asking students to name errors produces less of a term paper and more of a thesis) and hilariously funny in the same way that a man wearing cabbage as a hat and a leek up his orifices singing "Barbie Girl" in a warbling bass is funny. You're not laughing with the movie, you are laughing at it.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
The Lorax, my God, this is a terrible film. It completely ruined the message of the book in that while you shouldn't destroy the environment, going from one extreme to the other also isn't the answer, it was about trying to find that middle ground that would satisfy most. Not only that, generic and clichéd characters, the Onceler, going from a mysterious character whose face we don't see in order to symbolise that greed can corrupt anyone to a whiny, hipster douchebag and it messed up the ambiguity of the book ending in favour of a clichéd happy ending just to make the kids happy, instead of challenging and preparing them that sometimes there are no answers and you'll have to look for answers yourself if you want them. There's also the hypocrisy of its anti-corporate message, but I think everyone is aware of that.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
YuberNeclord said:
Loonyyy said:
YuberNeclord said:
A man is calling someone on a phone. There is text that says "Rome". In the next shot someone else is answering a phone. There is text that says "New York". There is also text underneath that which says "At the same time".

I remember first laughing my arse off when I saw that, then I felt pretty insulted. I mean seriously, did they think I was so fucking stupid that I could not make the connection that what I was watching;

A) was taking place at the same time?
B) they are talking to each other?

I'm pretty sure that if you show people a shot of a person dialing on a phone then cut to a shot of another person answering a phone, most people will know that they are watching a phone conversation happening in real time. They will not think that they are watching two halves of two different phone conversations happening at two different times.
Maybe they wanted to annoy physicists with relativistic physics? That'd be a laugh. Yeah, that sounds completely ridiculous hahaha
After posting this I was curious if I was remembering the scene right so I quickly found a copy of Inferno and had a look. It's not quite how I described it, but it's still pretty bad.

So you've got a guy talking on a phone to a women. The shot is of him so you just hear her voice over the phone. Anyway the phone line has a bad connection and during the conversation the line drops out. The guy starts hammering on the phone trying to get her back. The next shot is of a woman also hammering on her phone trying to get him back. So at this point it's pretty obvious that they are having the same phone conversation. And that's when the text pops up. And what the text actually says is:

"New York. The Same Night In April"

So I don't know what the film makers were thinking, but the end result is hilarious(and pretty insulting).
Wow, that's just weird. And it doesn't even make the slightest sense, if they thought it was ambiguous why wouldn't they put the text at the start of the conversation??

I'm going to bed. These things confuse me.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Silvanus said:
The Doom movie offends me, being the worst example of source material mistreatment that I can think of.
"Eragon" tops that... Read the book.. watch the movie.. now that is abuse against source material... and i hate them for it.. because the Book(s) can turn into GREAT movies.. but.. with "Eragon".. it kinda got screwed :/

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
Lets see that movie that tested my patience was Avatar the Last Airbender movie good lord. I mean hollywood if you are going to turn Sokka, Katara and Gram Gram caucasian thats fine but still keep the rest of the village eskimo that is just lazy hollywood. You made Birth of a Nation and made John Wayne as Genghis Khan that whole igloo village should of looked like somewhere siberia I am disappoint.

Also Tyler Perry movies in the words of futurama your "actors should not announce how they feel".

Also the movie Baby Boy a splotch on John Singletons resume where it was really stupid that it was an unintentional comedy and now since life happened I realized it is actually true to life for some in some ways which makes it even funnier and kind of sad.

Also I would say Sci Fi original movies but they serve a purpose they are like cheap made grindhouse movies that are so terrible thats the point and sometimes you get rare diamond in the rough out of it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
jademunky said:
The Tree of Life. Honestly I cannot think of a movie with less to say that was given such a large budget with which to say it.
This. I didn't get the whole philosopher side to the film which I guess I was too thick to fully understand it as I only understood the film to being the first 30 minutes being the birth of the universe and then it became some kind of a flashback of some guy childhood, oh and there was animal abuse aswell!

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Man of Steel was intellectually insulting, but not the most. That one just sticks out in my recent memory. For one thing evolution doesn't work like that. And for another thing the whole eugenics thing was handled much better in an episode of Star Trek. And they didn't need to destroy a city to do it. In fact quite the opposite.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
U-571. I mean it's like they just expected us to believe that the US captured to enigma machine after it had already been captured and deciphered by the British/Europeans a year ago by this point. Not only does it insult the viewers intellect, it insults the memories and heroism of those who really did capture the enigma machine, and also makes it seem as though the US hasn't got it's own heroic wartime achievements, so it is also insulting to the US and their WW2 servicemen. I believe that the director expressed his shame at having made it, but he shouldn;t have made it in the first place and should not be forgiven. If I had it my way every copy of this film would be destroyed and him stripped of any wealth he has. (Also everyone that thinks what happened in this film is what actually happened should be made to sit through all of primary school and secondary school history again. Actually put the people who produced the film in there too.) That's not even mentioning how the German U-Boat crew kills some allied survivors from a sinking ship by shooting them in the water. And just how the Germans in that film in general are portrayed as some non-human evil things designed to kill anything that isn't them without feelings or remorse. Nazis are bad, we get it, but to think that every German in WW2 was just an evil entity that delights in the slaughter of now harmless shipwreck survivors is blind and childish.

I don't think that I communicated that very well. I get rambley and make little sense when I am pissed off (and therefore every time I think about this piece of shit film.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
jademunky said:
The Tree of Life. Honestly I cannot think of a movie with less to say that was given such a large budget with which to say it.
This. I didn't get the whole philosopher side to the film which I guess I was too thick to fully understand it as I only understood the film to being the first 30 minutes being the birth of the universe and then it became some kind of a flashback of some guy childhood, oh and there was animal abuse aswell!
And Dinosaurs. Fucking Dinosaurs.

Yeah I count myself lucky that I waited to rent that one. I would've actually walked right out of the theater.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
John Dies at the End.

Everything made by 'Asylum'.

New Godzilla.. probably because I seen it last night and I'm offended just how horrible that was given the franchise and budget. I sincerely hope the people involved find themselves in poverty unable to afford their cocaine addictions.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Any religious based movies ruin it for me. I get it, your on a mission/crusade/struggle to find a path in life. BAH. The real culprits are:

Starwars episode 1 and 2: Fuck Aniken and JarJar. ( I liked the third one because he killed children like a true dark knight)
Druids: Shoot me now.
Transformers 2: WTF, Megan Fox is hot, we get it, why does a RC robot need to hump her leg?
2012: Stupid Russian kids
Day After Tomorrow: nuff said
the Scary Movie franchise: Not funny, at all.
(not a movie but deserves the absolute worse nuking ever) Here comes Honey booboo and Toddlers in Tierra's: Ok what the fucking hell has happened to society? I get that this is a free country and all but those people who place there children in those situations need to receive full Persian and North Korean labor camp situations. Just wrong.

Side note for the Marvel fans: I thought of a theory for the trio Marvel movies. 1st one is good, 2nd one is better 3rd one is a complete dump in the crapper.
Examples:

Iron Man
X-men
Avengers
Thor
Hulk
Spiderman
Blade

Yeah I am done for now

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silvanus said:
The Doom movie offends me, being the worst example of source material mistreatment that I can think of.
When I saw that movie, all I kept thinking is "I liked this movie a lot better when it was called ALIENS". The saddest part is the most entertaining part of the entire movie were the 7 minutes where it became an FPS. Maybe they should have made the entire movie like that. It still would have been dumb but maybe more of a "good dumb" rather then "crappy, plageristic dumb"

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Prometheus.
Yes, for the first half of the movie I got really angry at how stupid these 'scientists' were. I didn't mind the movie as a whole though; the second half of the movie I liked quite a lot (maybe it's cos all these dumb scientists got killed?) and I thought it ended with a lot of potential.

Prometheus had an interesting story, if you can look past the stupidity of the first half of the movie and some of the completely unnecessary 'twists' it is a decent sci-fi movie. I think it gets too much hate but I can understand why. If they make a sequel to it I hope they do the 'Alien origins' justice. It has the potential to be good, just needs someone smart to write the script.

My choice would be (from movies I have seen) is 'Spawn' (1997)

The movie aggravated me with it's stupid plot, insultingly bad special effects and an evil clown that instantly gave me a headache when he was on screen. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ManyCesoujg[/youtube]

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
PrimitiveJudge said:
Any religious based movies ruin it for me. I get it, your on a mission/crusade/struggle to find a path in life. BAH. The real culprits are:

Starwars episode 1 and 2: Fuck Aniken and JarJar. ( I liked the third one because he killed children like a true dark knight)
Druids: Shoot me now.
Transformers 2: WTF, Megan Fox is hot, we get it, why does a RC robot need to hump her leg?
2012: Stupid Russian kids
Day After Tomorrow: nuff said
the Scary Movie franchise: Not funny, at all.
(not a movie but deserves the absolute worse nuking ever) Here comes Honey booboo and Toddlers in Tierra's: Ok what the fucking hell has happened to society? I get that this is a free country and all but those people who place there children in those situations need to receive full Persian and North Korean labor camp situations. Just wrong.

Side note for the Marvel fans: I thought of a theory for the trio Marvel movies. 1st one is good, 2nd one is better 3rd one is a complete dump in the crapper.
Examples:

Iron Man
X-men
Avengers
Thor
Hulk
Spiderman
Blade

Yeah I am done for now
ok got to fix this, Iron Man is the only marvel film on here that has had three movies.(still loved the third but you know different tastes) All the other ether don't have a third movie or were made without marvel.(just their license)

OT:
the last fucking air bender: only movie in recent memory that pissed me off enough to demand a refund of my money.

Eragon: or as I like to call it how to fuck up a great franchise.

Elysium: stupid movie with a stupid premise. A shame too cause I hear it was made by the same guy who did District 9.