Most Obscure Band no ones heard of

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
Kindlebee92 said:
I would say Tool is relatively obscure. Great band imo, one of my favorites.

Not sure on their history or popularity though, so correct me if they are not obscure.
They're actually very mainstream - I think they had 3 songs on the latest Guitar Hero.

Ayrav

Dec 12, 2008
KungFuMaster said:
No name change, it's still the Quest and it still kicks ass. I had an opportunity to see Wookiefoot at The Cabooze just last New Years (a year ago, not a month ago.) and it was an awesome show as always...actually, come to think of it, that was the last show I saw before I moved to PA.
Totally awesome, I bet we know people who know us. What I'm saying is this, Escapist Minnesota here we come!

KungFuMaster

Aug 14, 2008
Ayrav said:
KungFuMaster said:
No name change, it's still the Quest and it still kicks ass. I had an opportunity to see Wookiefoot at The Cabooze just last New Years (a year ago, not a month ago.) and it was an awesome show as always...actually, come to think of it, that was the last show I saw before I moved to PA.
Totally awesome, I bet we know people who know us. What I'm saying is this, Escapist Minnesota here we come!
Got the van gassed and ready!

Fronken

May 10, 2008
LoopyDood said:
GoliathOnline said:
LoopyDood said:
Oh, forgot my bands...

Abolishment of Hate (Or Jeff Lewis.)
Exhale
Holy Blood
Horde
Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Frost Like Ashes
Impending Doom
Insect Warfare
Invisible Image
Pantokrator
Sacrificium
Slechtvalk
Tortured Conscience

If you're into Grindcore, Death or Black Metal you may have heard of a few.
Insect Warfare kicks so much ass
They were ok, but it sucks that they broke up.

Check out Exhale or Nasum, they're both much better.
Nasum is from my hometown! :D

To bad about their singer getting killed in the Tsunami though :(

Sweep117

Jan 27, 2009
Docile - Awesome metal band.
Marla Zinger - Pretty good alternative rock band. (Named after the chick in Fight Club.)
The Few - Plays pretty much everything. I've never heard any of their stuff but I'm friends with the bassist. He loves almost every type of music but his fave band is Tool.

These are all local bands here in Toronto so I doubt many have heard of them.

henrebotha

Jan 29, 2009
olaffub42 said:
Mr. Bungle, most... screwed up music I've ever heard
Mr. Bungle is fucked up, man. :/
9NineBreaker9 said:
Minus The Bear; Explosions in the Sky
Explosions In The Sky is huge, man, ever since the post-rock thing happened everyone and their dog has been listening to them. Minus The Bear is rad, dig their stuff (a truly refreshing brand of indie).
Ionami said:
And mine is Boards Of Canada.
Huge band.
perfectimo said:
I love their song Rabbit In Your Headlights (ft. Thom Yorke).
Samuel Cook said:
The Mars Volta, particularly their latest album. The story behind it is fantastic.
TMV are freaking huge (Grammy-nominated), but yes they are amazing. I just listened to a B-side for the first time five minutes ago (called Frances The Mute, B-side to The Widow).
Jharry5 said:
Between the Buried and Me
BTBAM, again, are huge. I have a couple albums.
Kindlebee92 said:
Hah. Very mainstream band (compared to other stuff in this thread anyway). I love their music, especially for the bassist.
Hey Joe said:
Sigur Ros
Sigur Ros are very, very well-known. Just look at their Wikipedia page to get an idea.
Optimus Prime said:
Not sure but how 'bout Anamanaguchi? Someone here MUST know them
I don't actually know them but a friend of mine who is a chiptune artist is a huge fan, and I think they're actually going to play (or have played) here! :D ("Here" being South Africa.)

My obscure bands:
Kayo Dot (intellectual music that will take you places - used to be rooted in progressive rock and metal but has moved so far beyond that)
Dead Meadow (less obscure, tripped-out stoner/psychedelic rock)
Grüvis Malt (wyrd band that gets a bit genre-schizo sometimes, but generally funky and edgy)
Lightning Bolt (arty noise punk two-piece using just bass and drums - loudest music I've ever heard)

henrebotha

Jan 29, 2009
I like grindcore but I just wish it would abandon the shock aesthetic. The music is shocking enough without having to call the band "anal ****" or whatever.

jimkozminski6714

Nov 5, 2008
Tony C and the Truth. Nobody I've played them for has ever heard of them, but they play EVERYTHING. Go find their CD. Now.

Mikaze

Mar 23, 2008
While quite well known elsewhere in the world, here in Australia I'm yet to meet anyone beyond my cousin and a few of his friends who know who Rhapsody of Fire are.

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
olaffub42 said:
Mr. Bungle, most... screwed up music I've ever heard

oops forgot mute math, they're aren't obscure but are relatively unheard of
I love Mr Bungle, saw Trevor Dunn’s new project Madlove at this years ATP:Nightmare before christmas, they were pretty interesting

Fronken

May 10, 2008
henrebotha said:
I like grindcore but I just wish it would abandon the shock aesthetic. The music is shocking enough without having to call the band "anal ****" or whatever.
That's why the greatest of them all have nothing to do with sexual shock in the name, example: Nasum, good and original name, awesome band (and they are from my hometown :D)

Anywho, my band is one that a mate of mine listened to some a while back, not sure if they have even released a full length album, but they released an EP in the US atleast, their name is: Circle of Dead Children

Neesa

Jan 29, 2009
I wish this thread was called to "Obscure bands that haven't gone mainstream, yet".

Anyways, my bands:
The Virgins
Wild Sweet Orange
Margot and the Nuclear So & Sos <-- AMAZING LIVE
Wax on Radio
Swimming with Dolphins
The Sugar People
Jupiter Rising
Robbers on High Street
Reggie and the Full Effect
The Juliana Theory <- Been around forever. Said to have started the 'emo' music genre.
The Rapture
Portual. The Man
Mother Mother
Modjo
Men, Women & Children
Lydia
The Klaxon
The Daylights
Kill Paradise
Junior Senior
Head Automatica <- Been around too, not obscure, but not really popular either.
Hard-Fi
The Dear Hunter
Far*East Movement
Brokencyde <- Scream/Rap? Lolol. Still sweet if you like to dance to screaming.
Ben's Brother <- They did an old Ice Breakers commercial. Found album. Loved it.
Roy Skopp <- Did the song for the Geico Commercial w/ the cavemen. "Remind Me".
As Tall As Lions

I have tons more, but these were some of the bands on my playlist on my iPod. An under appreciated badass band:
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE Best band. EVER.