Most Overpowered/Broken Anything In a Game?

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
poiumty said:
Can't say the "most" overpowered, but something comes to mind:

snip

Are you crazy? Just ONE of those things killed everone in big town! AFTER I tought them all to shoot! And two of them (together) managed to take down Fort Independence!
Maybe shoot them faster, then they won't kill so many people. They're harder than many enemies, but still not "broken".

Shoot him faster? Why!? I was having way to many laughs watching them tear up the outcasts! On a more serious note I thought that with all their advanced weopons and training they'd be able to handle it.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Did anyone here play City of Heroes close to the time of release?

Anyone remember the Fire/Fire Tanker? Anyone?

A single purple mob was supposed to require a group to take down. A Fire/Fire Tanker could kill 10-20 of them at once. Very, very quickly. Without really taking any damage at all. People whining about balance issues in modern MMOs...you don't know from balance issues.

Honorable Mention to dodge capped Assassins in DAoC. I think they had something like 95% avoidance.

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
Prometherion said:
The Roman Factions in Rome: Total War.

I mean their infantry isnt that good but in the game you have to fight all the campaign battles personally cos the autofight thinks that Romans are invincible.

It also does that for archer spam armies, which i swear are the most simple battles in a game.
Yeah, but I did a 2nd playthrough as the Greeks, and if you get them before the Marius Incident (and don't use auto-solve) they're not as much of a threat as say....the Egyptians. Bastards.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago Typewriter in Resident Evil 4, no reload and practically a sub-machine gun with the power of a shotgun per bullet. Made the game a piece of piss.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
AnAngryMoose said:
So what's the most overpowered, underpowered, broken or just poorly balanced thing in a video game you've come across?

For me, it has to be a Hero Team Deathmatch in LotR: Conquest. If not that, then the hero Aragon from the same game >.>
There was a stupidly powerful gun in Turok Dinosaur Hunter on the N64. The nuclear weapon in Mass Effect 2 is quite ridiculous but overall I would say it's the nuclear strike in Modern Warfare 2, it's only use seems to be for hackers to nause or grief everyone in the match.

Jun 11, 2008
CloakedOne said:
The Apprentice in Soul Calibur IV. He is completely cheap and unfair as a character.
Nah I can beat him on Edgemaster with Sigfried. He is a bit bad but I think Algol is a bit worse. Seth is the worst in arcade mode as he doesn't have his low health to balance him. Also in one of the trials where you fight Gouken and Akuma they are overpowered because they have the weaknesses removed.

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
Syon said:
CloakedOne said:
The Apprentice in Soul Calibur IV. He is completely cheap and unfair as a character.
Pfft. I could make characters that could two-shot you in that game.
Gee, thanks. I appreciate arrogance wherever I can find it!

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
CloakedOne said:
Syon said:
CloakedOne said:
But it's true.

1: Start a new character.
2: Stack nothing but boost gear.
3: Pick Hysterical Strength, Hyper Mode and Start Dash A.
4: ????
5: Profit!

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
Syon said:
CloakedOne said:
Syon said:
CloakedOne said:
But it's true.

1: Start a new character.
2: Stack nothing but boost gear.
3: Pick Hysterical Strength, Hyper Mode and Start Dash A.
4: ????
5: Profit!
Alright, now I can't be pissed at you because you slipped in a pretty decent South Park reference. Well done.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Chinese stealth armor+100 sneak+infiltrator or perforator in fallout 3

You're basically invisible all the time even when you shoot them point-blank in the face

I think one mutant overlord saw me once, but i might just have got out of stealth by mistake...

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
I'm currently performing my second Mass Effect playthrough (going for 100% completion this time before hitting ME2, as opposed to the first game where I suddenly ended up face-to-face with the end boss, killed him and hey presto, game over), which I'm admittedly playing on easy, but it was actually still somewhat of a struggle the first time, and there were plenty of times (especially when fighting Geth Armatures and Colossi in the Mako) I came pretty close to dying, and I actually did die a few times.

However, now, since I've kept all my gear and skills from the first playthrough, I've got enough health to stand up to a small army and, especially since the available equipment levels up with you but the enemies don't, a level 10 Spectre Master sniper rifle (that I could easily afford) with level 10 High Explosive Rounds that basically functions like a freaking bazooka, making casual headshots at 400m (though hitting the ground anywhere near them works too, so enemies in cover are a joke) and still easily beating out even the shotgun for short-range stopping power. One big BANG and basically anything's dead, while my armour can easily keep me alive long enough for my overheating to die down and I can fire another tactical nuclear warhead.

I'm breezing through the game now, no trouble at all. Admirable and understandable, keeping stuff after a playthrough, but since the enemies are as strong/weak as ever, it is pretty much horrifically OP.

Noobstick

Mar 28, 2010
It's been long fixed, but the Pyro's flamethrower unlock, the Backburner, was pretty hilarious when it was first introduced. It did full damage regardless of wether you were bing hit by the tip of the flame (which can reach pretty far when latency gets involved) or by the very base AND it added 50HP to the pyro's usual 175, giving him the second-largest HP pool in the game.

It was sometime around those events that the phrase "W+M1" was invented. I'll let you figure out how these two things are related.

MMSouthpawVIII

Sep 5, 2008
StevieWonderMk2 said:
SonicWaffle said:
Twad said:
MAgic in oblivion, followed by everything else in the game.
Strictly speaking, Illusion magic. This is my 'How To Win At Oblivion' guide;

- Get the invisibility spell
- Get some sneaking skill
- Get a sword
- Go invisible, get behind monster, crouch, hit monster with sword. The critical from sneak will give a 6x damage modifier, and even if they don't die, you're behind them and still sneaking so they'll just stand there wondering what hit them. Then you hit them again.

Seriously, I did the entire Arena questline in about half an hour this way.
Pfah, small fry.
Enchant arrows/sword: On hit Fire Damage 1sec, Fire Weakness 100% 1 sec. Munches through everything.
Or on hit Burden/Strength Drain.

The classic though is to enchant 5 pieces of armour with Chameleon 20%. Yes it stacks. You are permanently invisible.
I remember i got bored and tried that and named it the Whore Armour... Then the game glitched and permanently grafted the armor to my character breaking my lvl 51 200+ file. I could still wear other types of armor on top of it and still be invisible but you don't really need the protection when nothing is attacking you

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
SpcyhknBC said:
Hammerdins before the most recent patch. Between the two synergies and concentration, nothing quite cleared a room like a Paladin with Blessed Hammer going off in D2.
Ahhh Hammerdins. Love those guys. You can't do Baal runs in hell without a bot Hamerdin running it, which means that without them there'd be no good source of XP, so you couldn't level up enough to go magic finding, which means the games player built economy would die. The entire economy of Diablo 2's multiplayer depends entirely on a single broken skill. Fantastic.