Most Overrated Game

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
I was going to say Call of Duty, but apparently everyone who's posted so far hates those games, so I don't know if that really qualifies.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
MW2, GTA IV, Halo, and such, are horribly overrated - solid average games, but more hype than you can reasonably handle.

Portal and other games that are mainly praised by regular people, are severely overrated - yes, they are good, but it's not the second coming of Christ!

And if you ask me, good old Half-Life 2 is overrated just a bit.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Half-Life. Portal. Team Fortress 2.

...or maybe I just don't like Valve. I dunno'. As a matter of fact, Valve are overrated! There, I said it! Rargh!

Anyway, Mirrors Edge isn't as good as I've been told either. I mean, I hated the thing. People told me it was basically Assassins Creed with more focus on parkour, but I felt it was a step down.

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
All of the Call of Duties AFTER 2, I guess. But everyone's saying that.

Fanusc101 said:
Portal.

It doesn't deserve the obscene amount of praise it gets.
Actually I'll have to agree with you. See, I had heard of Portal years before it came out and got excited because it looked like a creative and interesting game to me. It came with the Orange Box and it was the first game I ever bought for the 360. I played Portal (and I loved it) but I ended up liking Half-Life 2 much more. Portal is still fun and creative, but the reason why I probably enjoyed it so much is because I bought it before all the crazy hype that it got. I had played and beaten it before I heard almost all of its jokes quoted endlessly on the internet. If I had played it for the first time right now, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I had before the hype. Hype kills games.
Agreed. I just bought Portal, and it's a great game, but all my friends had hyped it up so much that there wasn't any way it could meet my expectations. Also, I'm going to curb stomp the next person to tell me the cake is a lie.

Misaek

Oct 28, 2008
Modern Warfare 2, the series was 4.9 trillion times better when it was in World War 2 (and not World at War mind you).

TyroSe7en

Sep 7, 2009
1. CoDMW2 & CoDWAW (grouped together because all call of duty games have the same basic gameplay)
2. Halo 3
3. Gears of War 1 & 2
4. World of Warcraft
5. GTA4
6. Team Fortess 2
7. God of War

List goes on... I'm not saying these games suck, just overrated

Kaleion said:
Haha a game is only over rated after you hear praise about it, Try playing games you have without listening to anybody's opinnion and be impressed, they are a lot more fun if you play them without hearing anybody's oppinion about it!
Agreed =D

Aug 13, 2009
I love MW2 but its too over hyped. It sucking the life out of other games. Its getting harder and harder to find matchmakeing servers on new/old titles or friends to play other games with

Blackflame140

Apr 22, 2009
I would have to say bioshock. I just heard so much stuff about it but then it just turned out to be really short and sure it had good gameplay and a good story but when it ended it just felt like another shooter with superpowers

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
DaMan1500 said:
ProfessorLayton said:
All of the Call of Duties AFTER 2, I guess. But everyone's saying that.

Fanusc101 said:
Portal.

It doesn't deserve the obscene amount of praise it gets.
Actually I'll have to agree with you. See, I had heard of Portal years before it came out and got excited because it looked like a creative and interesting game to me. It came with the Orange Box and it was the first game I ever bought for the 360. I played Portal (and I loved it) but I ended up liking Half-Life 2 much more. Portal is still fun and creative, but the reason why I probably enjoyed it so much is because I bought it before all the crazy hype that it got. I had played and beaten it before I heard almost all of its jokes quoted endlessly on the internet. If I had played it for the first time right now, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I had before the hype. Hype kills games.
Agreed. I just bought Portal, and it's a great game, but all my friends had hyped it up so much that there wasn't any way it could meet my expectations. Also, I'm going to curb stomp the next person to tell me the cake is a lie.
delicious. Om nom nom nom~
But yeah, I have to go with Portal, too. Maybe not as the most overhyped game ever (as I haven't played FFVII or Half-Life 2 yet...), but it wasn't overly spectacular. Fun? Yes. Innovative? Yes. Gratuitous amounts of GLaDOS? Of course. Deserving of all the hype it receives? Not really.

I'm also not too impressed with TF2, either, but I haven't really played that much. So I choose to defer judgement until later.

firemark

Sep 8, 2009
The Halo series is majorly overrated, but Halo 3: ODST was the worst piece of crap I've played in a long time. In addition to that, I have to say that MW2, or COD42 which I prefer, SUCKED...I deal with it for the multiplayer only and even that is too easy or just plain frustrating. I saw someone earlier mention that it was filled with noobs and he's right! I get sick and tired of everyone praising it...

vivec710

Oct 25, 2009
I gotta go with WoW. I don't see what the big deal is with that game you have to level grind way too much to get into the good stuff if you can even call it that. And of course Halo 2&3. CE was good but after that downward spiral.