Most pointless character in a game

tottb0x

Aug 6, 2008
The final boss in FF9, I think his name was Neco? You play through the game and never here of him once and then all of a sudden he's like MUHHAHAHA FIGHT ME. Which begs the question, "why" but there's no real answer. No one talks about it before or after, but he's the final boss.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Russ741 post=9.69498.663999 said:
D2wontdie post=9.69498.661964 said:
id say more than half of the AI in oblivion

i mean they have the same voice all over the map with the exact same thing to say

over and over and over again
Think you got it. Most (if not all) the Ai in oblivion were the most annoying and pointless things i can think of in a game. Going on a killing spree though the imperial city is a good way of reliving stress though.
Unfortunately that killing spree is ultimately rendered a bit unsatisfying by the immortal quest characters. Nothing makes me miss the old days of Morrowind quite like "Random Bloody Bastard X is unconscious."

Mar 26, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=9.69498.664797 said:
42manZ post=9.69498.661846 said:
The Turian in your party (can't remember the name) in Mass Effect. Even the Krogan had a part to play in however you try to calm him down, the Turian was just useless
Are you sure it wasn't just something to do with your playstyle? Garrus and erm, forgot the Asari's name, anyway, I used both of them constantly, and Garrus has his fair share of lines and such, also gives you some missions, etc.
Yeah, one up for Garrus. I took him everywhere and when he is levelled up he is very handy. Same with Liara (the Asari). +1 for ElArabDeMagnifico

My vote would be for that chick in Ninja Gaiden 2 (Sonia?). All she did was get captured, get rescued and then get captured again. Except for her helicopter/jet thing she is absolutely useless.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Princess Daisy-She only appears in sports games/party games and just seems to be to buff up the roster.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Your - I don't know, chum - from Tenchu Z. His/her job is to show up after a mission and say...nothing much, I suppose it has something to do with the plot, but no-one cares.

alucard_101

May 18, 2008
andrew rian in bioshock was pretty pointless, they could've just made atlas the creator of rapture, or the other way around, made andrew the creator and last boss, either way it's just another model the creators had to make, and another voice actor they had to hire

puffbro1

Jul 30, 2008
smokeraven post=9.69498.661796 said:
Kimahri in FFX, i've never used him once
Kimahri was the shit. Mine is my second strongest character(purely in terms of melee)

poleboy

May 19, 2008
aquacoma post=9.69498.665592 said:
Sephiroth, in fact that whole game was pointless.
Man, you are the worst troll I've seen in a long time. That barely annoyed me. You could at least have thrown in a lulz, misspelled words, exclamation marks or something. You're just not trying, man...

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
That weapons expert in MGS3... he had absolutely no plot relevance, nothing useful to say and worse, barely nothing funny to say (I only remember that emmerson, heinrich thingy)

Andrew_Vee

Aug 22, 2008
alucard_101 post=9.69498.665732 said:
andrew rian in bioshock was pretty pointless, they could've just made atlas the creator of rapture, or the other way around, made andrew the creator and last boss, either way it's just another model the creators had to make, and another voice actor they had to hire
Umm... you can't be serious. Short of dropping spoilers, meeting Ryan is the key point of dispelling the illusion of any kind of "choices" we thought we might have had in our actions.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
tobyornottoby post=9.69498.665767 said:
That weapons expert in MGS3... he had absolutely no plot relevance, nothing useful to say and worse, barely nothing funny to say (I only remember that emmerson, heinrich thingy)
Token black guy is token black guy... even in Japan.
Actually, I think his main function was to adress the issue of racism in the 60's since he has some rather lengthly opinions about this. Seems obvious to older people, but kids playing the game might learn something from it.

alucard_101

May 18, 2008
Andrew_Vee post=9.69498.665806 said:
Umm... you can't be serious. Short of dropping spoilers, meeting Ryan is the key point of dispelling the illusion of any kind of "choices" we thought we might have had in our actions.
yeah, but they couldv'e just had atlas do the speech and then the whole "would you kindly" crap, and then had the whole "battle of the adam" with him. snd ever notice how in bioshock it's all about adam and eve, i think the developers were putting in religious subliminal messages

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I have to disagree. The conflict between Ryan and Atlas was what caused Rapture to crumble and the main character to be created. Ryan and Atlas were integral to the plot and setting.

They pair you up with a worse BBEG while going after the slightly less BBEG who is trying to kill both of you.

AS far as pointless characters, what about the dude who popped up in Mortal Combat just to say "Toasty" occasionally. He was pretty damn pointless.

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
poleboy post=9.69498.665816 said:
tobyornottoby post=9.69498.665767 said:
Token black guy is token black guy... even in Japan.
Actually, I think his main function was to adress the issue of racism in the 60's since he has some rather lengthly opinions about this. Seems obvious to older people, but kids playing the game might learn something from it.
mmm yes that's very posibble, but seeing that I don't remember that so vividly means it didn't impress me much anyway. It is one of the things that I love about that game, how they captured the zeitgeist. Especially the space race.

But now you mention it... maybe it was one of those MGS fourth-wall breakers! "You see, people, back in those times the black guy wasn't allowed to do anything important" ^^;