Most pointless character in a game

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
poleboy post=9.69498.665766 said:
aquacoma post=9.69498.665592 said:
Sephiroth, in fact that whole game was pointless.
Man, you are the worst troll I've seen in a long time. That barely annoyed me. You could at least have thrown in a lulz, misspelled words, exclamation marks or something. You're just not trying, man...
Actually, he's kinda right. If Cloud had just put a gun to his own head at the start of the game, Sephiroth would have failed before he started. No Cloud, no Black Materia, no Meteor, he could just sit in North Crater and stew.

However, Cloud is not the king of Xanatos Suckers. That would be Atsuma in Enchanted Arms. Cloud finally stops being Sephiroth's whipping boy at the end of disc 1, around 2/5 of the way through the plot. The point in Enchanted Arms where you realise that everything you've done has been set up by the Big Bad specifically to destroy the world, and that if your character had just upped and died the world wouldn't have been in the shit? About the third stage of the final boss fight.

panthrjd

Nov 4, 2007
Jhereg42 post=9.69498.666778 said:
AS far as pointless characters, what about the dude who popped up in Mortal Combat just to say "Toasty" occasionally. He was pretty damn pointless.
Wasn't he one of the designers?

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
farah. I love pop, and i like her as a plot element, but she was damn useless in combat. And who puts a switch behind a crack anyway? in terms of all around ulelessness, any of the "party members from oblivion. damn i hated them. and the scientist from timeshift. damn, anybody can shoot a gun and wear a suit, why him? Off topic btw, but what if gordan freemans purpose? why does it have to be him that saves humanity? I always wondered that.

Tiut

Jul 9, 2008
nathan-dts post=9.69498.663465 said:
Oh got another fighting game one; Olimar, Lucas, Ness, Dedede, Snake, Mario, Luigi and Peace from SSBB.
Don't involve yourself with the metagame, then.

BuckFitches

Aug 27, 2008
D_987 post=9.69498.662129 said:
Rock in SC4. His story in pathetic, and he's a clone of better characters.
Naw, Dude not even Rock is teh shit, and he is not CLONE if u gonna say asteroth, or any other character thats bs. because he was in the original soulblade dude i mean WTF how dont u know this.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
Man, you are the worst troll I've seen in a long time. That barely annoyed me. You could at least have thrown in a lulz, misspelled words, exclamation marks or something. You're just not trying, man...
So anybody who dislikes games that you don't is a troll just because of how they phrase their statements?

Divine-Devil

Aug 29, 2008
Dragonfall post=9.69498.661888 said:
That new character in Half-Life 2, Ep 2. Morrison, I think. Where the hell did he come from?
I have to agree with this. The story should have still gone along smoothly without any other major character introductions, but this guy seems to slow the flow. All he does is ***** to Dr. Kliener (Spelling?) for half of the episode and whine for Freeman to hurry the hell up.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Just a thought, but over on GameFAQs the Character Battle is coming up again, which means I'd be remiss if I didn't mention L-Block from Tetris. I've been a member over there for eight years and I've never seen anything as utterly hilarious as L-Block beating Link in the final round last year.

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
nathan-dts said:
Oh got another fighting game one; Olimar, Lucas, Ness, Dedede, Snake, Mario, Luigi and Peace from SSBB.
You dare mock the great Olimar! A good Olimar player ought to be giving you a good ass whipping right about now. He's one of the best!

Anyways, little sisters from Bioshock. It's moral choice because your not suppose to kill cute little girls. Little girls? The way I see it I'm only killing a bunch of ones and zeroes.

Navi. I can travel on my own thank you very much.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Having played through most of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic this week, I can safely say that Leanna (during the times she's traveling with you) is such an absolutely useless companion that she serves to be the anti-Alyx (as in Alyx Vance from HL2). Why?

- Her only offensive spell is Flame Arrow, the weakest one in the game, and since she spends most of her time with you in orc territory (and orcs are resistant to fire) that spell is all but useless.
- She is unarmed and unarmored, making her a chew toy for any enemy carrying something more dangerous than a loofa.
- Her health is so low that she will literally die to two slashes of an orc's weapon.
- She will rush out into combat at the first sight of opponents, yet has no grasp on the concept of retreating when they close in.
- She has a healing spell that she will cast on you... once every thirty seconds.
- If she dies, you fail your mission.

Combat in this game is diffcult enough without having to ensure your opponent doesn't just rush by you to go slice up the soft, squishy meat puppet in the short skirt behind you.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
42manZ post=9.69498.661846 said:
The Turian in your party (can't remember the name) in Mass Effect. Even the Krogan had a part to play in however you try to calm him down, the Turian was just useless
Garrus Vakarian. I second that. I even tried running around with him for a bit, but he's just not interesting or good for anything specific enough to make him worth dragging around.

I would like to make a general assertion on the behalf of all "familiars". WHY does a wizard need to drag along a useless little tamagochi? They became particularly annoying in NwN2 after Mask of the Betrayer came out because it practically took an act of God to get your idiot companions to stop summoning the worthless little things every time you turned around.

And for the love of money if you're going to have a druid in the party they shouldn't have a BADGER for an animal companion. Not a dire badger. A BADGER. Rrolf the Hireling from the original Pool of Radiance was better than that.

joltheadporgy

Aug 29, 2008
Your friends in GTA 4. All they do is call you to go bowling then piss at you when you don't call them to do something. All i want to do is kill and steal cars, not go pick up stupid people to do funless crap while they yell at you for driving too fast.

lenneth

Aug 17, 2008
Tomoe251 post=9.69498.675806 said:
Mr. Reseti!!!!
actually he was there for quite a good reason.

The Most pointless characters in gaming are probably 80-90% of the Sonic side cast

videot76

Aug 20, 2008
alucard_101 post=9.69498.665732 said:
andrew rian in bioshock was pretty pointless, they could've just made atlas the creator of rapture, or the other way around, made andrew the creator and last boss, either way it's just another model the creators had to make, and another voice actor they had to hire
But that was a big point! Making him brought the number of different models in the game up by like 25%!

(Ok, not quite - but for such a beautiful game Bioshock has a pitiful, even shameful lack of character models. Andrew Ryan DID play his part though, and had a name so totally different from Ayn Rand that we would have an even harder time to spot that the game was inspired by her crappy writings.)

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Frankly, I'm going for every single member of your team in Call of Duty 4, it's always up to me to push forward, whereas they will stay there all day and just shoot blindly at what appears to be nothing, so there we go Captain Price, you get my gold star for Moist Pointless Character In a Game, I hope you're proud of yourself.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
GenHellspawn post=9.69498.675577 said:
So anybody who dislikes games that you don't is a troll just because of how they phrase their statements?
No, he's a (suspected) troll because he attacked a game known for having lots of fanboys with an argument that didn't make any sense. How can the main antagonist be pointless? :/