Most Racist Thing You've Seen?

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Personally?

Well a number of years back, I was leaving this punk rock show here in Portland with some friends, one of whom happened to be black. For the sake of our story, we will call him "Davey." Davey and his girlfriend at the time went up ahead to make out in some dark corner, and were set upon by some of the local fourth-reichers.

Now, you see, being a racist in Portland is not just wrong, it is also a tremendous waste of time, because there are very few people to be racist at. They often just hang around trying to build up tension, but failing. So, when they do get around to even seeing a black guy, the fascists will pretty much jump at the chance to attack him. There were three of them, the leader with a swastika-themed neck tattoo. Because of course he did. And they set upon Davey for having the audacity to date a white woman, or something.

But, as soon as the leader moved, Davey's girlfriend just jumped forward and punched him right in the neck tattoo. . . and he went down like a sack of potatoes to the concrete, where he started crying. I was a few yards back, and I started laughing so hard, I almost cried myself. So, between Davey, his ocelot-girlfriend unafraid of exploiting weaknesses, and me and my other friends now gasping for air between hysterical fits of laughter, the other nazis grabbed their friend and went home. Presumably to lie about their adventure and drink themselves even stupider.

And that's pretty much the most racist thing that has ever happened to me.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Res Plus said:
I understand the Republicans can be utter lunatics but showing ID to prove you are a legitimate voter is an entirely acceptable, a basic part of most enfranchised societies and is really not "racist" in any way.
Kalezian said:
I mean, the elections are for the american people and there should be no reason why an American citizen wouldn't have at the very least a valid drivers license or state ID card.
Having to show some ID? Sure thing. It's natural. Having to show one of the aggressively short, conservative-oriented list of accepted IDs, that somehow accepts fucking gun registrations but not college ID, however, can fuck right off. Not everyone has a driver's license. I don't, because I don't need one. There are lots of very poor people living on tight budgets who literally cannot afford to pay the fees required to get a valid ID card and/or the cost of transportation to where they need to go to get one. These people, citizens who have voted in every past election sometimes for decades, won't be able to vote this month because of these laws.

DibsOnPyro

Mar 19, 2013
Furbyz said:
jamail77 said:
Solsbury_Grille said:
I live in Texas, and contrary to popular belief, it is not the seething cauldron of racism everyone seems to believe it is. Mostly because Latinos and whites have intermarried so often over the last few decades that no one can really afford to be racist. You might be offending your own cousin.
I can believe that. I never fully bought the stereotype about Texas being like that anyway. However, are you so sure there aren't concentrations of racism unique to Texas, a city here or there? There aren't certain places that attract racism? You might say all states have a place like that, but you don't think there is anything unique about Texas in attracting it when it comes to certain areas?

I'm not doubting you; as I said, I don't really believe the stereotype anyway. Plus, it's not like I live there. Although, my Dad did move there for a bit and I would visit him, my step mom, and my half sister until they moved to West Virginia...then Kentucky...and now Colorado...that's a story for another thread, another time. Obviously, it's not the same as living there of course. Either way, I'm just asking because I'm genuinely curious to hear from a Texan's perspective. While I'm at it how much of Texas have you seen? What are the two most contrasting places of Texas that just so happen to be within the borders? I find those comparisons in the same state kind of funny. That's not to say I want to detract from the thread, but I'm just really curious.
You're absolutely right, there are pocket areas of racism in Texas. Mostly small towns, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's much the same in certain areas of the bigger cities. Probably the worst offender I know of locally is Vidor. A former Sundown Town in the 60's, Vidor is just not a great place to be. A cop friend of mine had to investigate a murder there (not a racial murder, just a good old fashioned burning someone alive in the trunk of a car) and while questioning the community he learned a few things like boys under 14 do not wear shirt or shoes at any time, Klan members can be very open about their affiliation and surprisingly helpful, and any conversation can be turned into a racist tangent with enough effort.

In contrast there is Austin, which is basically the Blue Capitol of an otherwise staunchly Red State. The Daily Show has been doing episodes from there and talks about the city, and I think they get the place across pretty well. Austin is weird, it's where nearly every outcast and black sheep from around Texas goes, and they love it.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/kwgaxa/democalypse-2014---south-by-south-mess--austin-s-real-weirdness

For the record, I'm from South East Texas, the big refinery and petrochemical area. We were recently deemed the least educated metropolitan area in the U.S, though considering they included three vastly different counties in that metric I take it with some salt. Rural farming communities, Vidor, not to mention that almost everyone raised here leaves, and company towns all around in this area. I also graduated at the top of my class when I got my associates degree. Does that make me king of the idiots? Am I Not Sure in Idiocracy?

I've been mostly around the East and North of Texas. Farthest West I've been is San Antonio, which is a beautiful city. People always think of the Alamo when they think of San Antonio, but they never realize that it's jam packed right in the middle of the city with commercial stuff all around it. There's literally a Ripley's Believe it or Not haunted house across the street.
Yeah, another Texan here to support the pocket racism theory. I live, literally, in the middle of Texas and one of the KKK headquarters is in a town bout' 1-1(1/2) hours away. Most people, white and nonwhite, know not to drive through there, or at least not try and stay for dinner at the restaurant the KKK own. I can't remember the towns name but I think the branch name is Bayou Knights of the Ku Klux Klan

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Hmm... The most racist thing I've seen personally? Well I live in Japan, and there are businesses here that don't allow non-Japanese in, so I guess there's that. Granted, it's not quite the same as if it were happening in a more multicultural society, but still, that's pretty much all I've got.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Personally?
When i went to the beach with my father. It was about 14:00 and a group of 60-somethings was talking and drinking beer. One of them complained how a "Turk" took his parking spot the other day and wondered since when they were even allowed to drive.
Yeah...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Well, I saw this the other day:

Clearly, the guy isn't American, so he can make videos like this without someone screaming at him. It was refreshing, and hilarious as an American viewer.

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
-walks in and picks up the mic-

I live in South Africa

Apartheid

-drops the mic and walks out-

Edit: Apologies for the wall of text. Feel free to skip to the last paragraph if you want to skip the history lesson about apartheid.

Okay in all seriousness, racism never really died in South Africa. One of the most racist things you could call a black person is a Kaffir. It originates from the Arabic word, Kafir, but it's terribly demeaning. When you've heard that spewed out of a few mouths, or when white people tell me "I'm not racist but" or "just between you and I black people etc", then you know you're in the company of racists.

For clarity, I am not white. I look white but I come from a family of mixed race. So when white people tell me stuff, they think I am "one of them." See, in South Africa, apartheid collapsed in 1994 with the first democratic elections. The African National Congress won the vote and the late Nelson Mandela became president. When he died, everyone had a story to tell about the day they met him...but I digress...

The most racist thing I see is how people have internalised racism. Racism never died in 1994. The social myths are still perpetuated. For example, the apartheid government set things up here rather neatly for themselves. White people at the top, mixed race or coloured people in the middle, and black people at the bottom of their hierarchy. Indian and Chinese people were a conundrum, but they were definitely not white, so they didn't enjoy the benefits white people did.

So while the "whites only" beaches, bathrooms and bus seats stopped, there's still this myth hanging around that white is right. For example. Coloured people still hold the belief that it is better to marry a woman or man with fair skin and straight hair - why? During apartheid, you could get classified as white if you were light of complexion and you passed the pencil test. The pencil test is when they would put a pencil in your hair and if it slid out and fell on the floor, you were white. If it got stuck because your hair was not straight, you were not white. As a result, families got torn apart.

Coloured folk reckoned there was a way out: if you could get your kids to be reclassified, they could get you out of the poverty and into a better life. But, because the government provided inferior education to coloured and black folk, and because people perpetuated the myth that white is right, it became a cultural norm for coloured men and women to admire light skinned, straight haired people. Our parents and grandparents would not accept any of us dating a black man or woman - that's considered going "backwards" not forwards. Sadly, you would have thought this mindset would change considering there is a growing, educated middle to upper class of black people in the country. Nope, no matter how uneducated or poor some coloured folk are, they still believe they're better than black people and not as good as white people.

The racist white folk I spoke to live in a bubble. Some don't even believe they're being racist, but they have inherently racist views when, for example, an old white man once drove over a black woman. He saw her and just kept driving despite her having right of way. It was in a parking area and she was on a pedestrian crossing. He admitted he hit her and he was of the view she shouldn't have gotten in his way. She survived, but could not have children again because of the damage his car did and he was never arrested despite there being witnesses. No one cared about her.

Here's another example: In South Africa, the rising crime and car thefts gave a boost to security services. Poor people took advantage and began offering their services to watch your car at a parking area, for a few bucks. One time while I was at the beach, a middle aged coloured woman - who looked like she was homeless - was swearing at a black man and called him a kaffir, in full view of everyone. She was a car guard earning less than $2 a day on a good day. She still believed that despite her circumstances, she was better off than that black man, who was also poor (the legacy of apartheid, I guess).

You wana know what racism is? Ask a white person in South Africa if they've ever asked a coloured or a black person in a township what life is like for them. Keep in mind, many of the people living in poverty may have been born in a township, but their parents and grandparents were forcibly removed by the apartheid government decades ago from their homes in a decent neighbourhood. Their homes were bought for cheap, sold to white folk and many people were forced to live in the worst conditions possible, usually crammed into a small area with little to no services. 20 years after democracy, people living in townships are still battling for things like flushing toilets, decent education and adequate healthcare.

They were screwed before because they were black. Today they're screwed because they're black and poor. The ANC government today seems to be more corrupt than ever (the president used more than $24 million of the state's money to build a homestead for his family) and we have terribly low levels of education. It's almost like nothing has changed.

I used to be a community journalist and had to travel from rich areas to poor ones all the time. One time middle to upper class residents complained about a cultural practise they disagreed with - a man was going to slaughter a bull to announce to his ancestors he would be settling at a new home. The black African man was surrounded by white neighbours. He got permission from the City of Cape Town municipal government to conduct his ritual. The white neighbours complained that if someone moves into the area they should abide by the customs and behaviour of the area. They sent in letters and complained to no end. Some even complained it was cruel to the animal. I then wrote a story about a nearby African township that would be celebrating its new services it was getting from the municipality. Among those would be the slaughtering of sheep and cattle. It went into the same paper. Wana guess how many letters and correspondence we got regarding that?

Zero. Not a single person wrote in.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Sadly my family. I just cringed on holidays, but I just ignored it. There have been a few fights in the family over the issue though, and it got pretty ugly.

Apparently we need to plant landmines along our borders to keep the s****s out, those n*****s need to get a job, and all those f*****s with AIDs need to be rounded up and sent to an island to die, so they don't infect the rest of us.

Part of my family is quite awesome, but the other part, well... lets just say we don't speak anymore.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
A half native american guy who's whiter than Hitler would come into the local LGBT hangout and vocally complain about how awful and despicable white people are. He was one of those who would honestly advocate for something like restitution slavery of all white people and think he was immune. Really not a fun person. Even the dean of one of the colleges complained about him at one point, that's how omnipotent his flagrant bigotry was.

I've also noticed, since moving into the bible belt, this weird trend where if someone is white they will dig up any, and I do mean ANY, tangentially connected ancestor who wasn't white, and trumpet that facet of their heritage from the rooftops. It's almost like being white is social herpes around here. It's weird and has really made me take notice of just how mucked up and obtuse the race dialog has become (or has been).

And we're all thinking it, I'm just say'n it.

Fox News

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
My flip girlfriend and myself(white) were sitting on a blanket in the park, eating sushi and reading graphic novels on a nice sunny day. Everyone in the park was peaceful nobody was being loud and everyone was enjoying their day. A police officer walking straight across the park, totally B-lining for something walks past our blanket and politely says "good day" to us before continuing on his way. His way, just happened to be straight to the only two black people in the park, peacefully sitting on a bench not bothering anybody. Now i do not know exactly how i feel about this and here is why, It made me feel badly when i saw the policeman approach them for seemingly no reason, but what made me feel worse is that he was right...... They had been drinking some type of booze out of pop bottles and the cop poured it out and went on his way.

blegh..... feels bad man

Ive got to be honest, it affected my views on the whole police are racist against black people issue. I mean, I do not know any police officers in my personal life.... but if i did i might have some controversial questions to ask them.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
My uncle Ed says things like, "Slavery is the best thing that ever happened to the black man," "The best thing that could happen to America [in late 2008] would be for Obama to be assassinated before taking office," and other gems. He's a great source for misogyny as well -- truly believes women are mentally inferior, meant only to be dishwashers and baby factories etc. I wouldn't have thought that much shit could fit inside one person.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Saltyk said:
I'm pretty convinced that the worst of racism is actually in the more Northern states.
So, you disavow the stereotype that overt racism is still big in the South and decide to substitute that stereotype by arguing racism is actually worse in the North? What? After feeling unjustly characterized why would you do it straight back? That just comes off as deflecting and antagonizing and frankly, while you don't owe any of us any proof for your statements I can't help find it annoying when people make statements like this and don't follow it up with any sort of stats or experience. Yeah, that's right, I'll even take anecdotal evidence. Just give me something rather than blunt "going against popular opinion" belief without clarification. At least that way, I know you're not saying it get back for the lingering Southern stereotypes rather than any misguided malice because I don't know how you feel with so little context. It feels deceitful to just say that and not follow it up on it. Then again, I don't write concisely partly because I follow up on everything I say and that has made many an Escapist user who prefer concise statements angry, exhausted (from reading my essay long posts), and/or divert focus away from responding back to me. So, maybe it's for the best you don't do that lest we write essays to each other. I don't know.

I am also curious how much of the South you have traveled through? As someone who lives in California I don't speak for California as a whole because I don't know the stats on these issues and haven't been to a majority of California. So, I've got no scientific evidence or anecdotal evidence really to back up any claims I could possibly make about California as a whole other than my limited, sheltered experiences. Of course, living here gives me some insight, but I can't generalize the entire state the way you are confident in generalizing the South. Even if I did know the stats, there's also the issue of self-racism, internalized racism, and/or subtle racism, the kind when people are ignorantly racist because they don't realize they're being racist in the first place. Those are all harder to pinpoint and it may surprise you to know a lot of places that don't come off as racist actually have 1 of those 3 forms of racism instead, if not a combination of them, though the 3rd isn't so bad because it's unintentional. That's not to say it's impossible for a completely non-racist place to exist, but let's not pretend this is as simple as being racist or not racist.

I hope none of that came off as insulting by the way. I didn't mean it if it did. I just want clarification really.

Gorrath said:
I guess it depends on what you define racism as. According to some, me getting my ass beat by a gang on a near daily basis for being white isn't racist.
Just out of curiosity, do they tell you they beat you up specifically because you're white or do they just beat you up and you gathered that? Because the former is proof straight from their mouths and the other is more hypothetical. I hope that doesn't come off as making light of your situation because that does sound awful, but I've found many cases where people thought they were being mistreated due to racism and it turned out to be something else entirely. Without more context I'm just not sure that's the reason.

If you have sure fire proof then yes that would be racist and if people are arguing that isn't racist they are being silly though I get the feeling it's not all entirely just to move the goalposts. Trust me, from my personal experiences it may come off that way, but it could very likely be for better reasons. For example, people often say something that is clearly racist isn't racist because they have suffered much worse. Just because your problem is less severe doesn't make it worth disregarding though, but that's how some people react because when more fortunate people complain about their own problems the unfortunate person often feels disregarded too. It's an unfortunate looping mentality, they feel disregarded so they try to disregard you, but it happens. No serious problem isn't worth considering; the fact other problems are worse is irrelevant. We need to address all the problems. Of course, many people say something is racist or not racist to move goalposts. You're not wrong about that. I'm just warning you that it's not as simple as it might appear though you may very well be 100% right; I don't deny that.

DibsOnPyro said:
Furbyz said:
jamail77 said:
Solsbury_Grille said:
I live in Texas, and contrary to popular belief, it is not the seething cauldron of racism everyone seems to believe it is. Mostly because Latinos and whites have intermarried so often over the last few decades that no one can really afford to be racist. You might be offending your own cousin.
I can believe that. I never fully bought the stereotype about Texas being like that anyway. However, are you so sure there aren't concentrations of racism unique to Texas, a city here or there? There aren't certain places that attract racism? You might say all states have a place like that, but you don't think there is anything unique about Texas in attracting it when it comes to certain areas?[snip]
You're absolutely right, there are pocket areas of racism in Texas. Mostly small towns, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's much the same in certain areas of the bigger cities. [snip]
Yeah, another Texan here to support the pocket racism theory. [snip]
While I said I don't believe in the racist Texas stereotype I did have a feeling that Texas did have a racism problem along the lines of the concentrated pockets you two are describing. However, while it was what I expected to some degree, if your statements are anything to go by (because someone out there is bound to dismiss your arguments as overly anecdotal, not because of lack of reliability but dude to perceived offense), there's quite a few important details I had no clue on. I find it kind of interesting honestly if just due to my strange sense of curiosity. Thanks!

Reasonable Atheist said:
Now i do not know exactly how i feel about this and here is why, It made me feel badly when i saw the policeman approach them for seemingly no reason, but what made me feel worse is that he was right...... They had been drinking some type of booze out of pop bottles and the cop poured it out and went on his way.
Is it illegal to drink alcohol at that park? The fact all he did was pour it out is not so bad though.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
jamail77 said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
Now i do not know exactly how i feel about this and here is why, It made me feel badly when i saw the policeman approach them for seemingly no reason, but what made me feel worse is that he was right...... They had been drinking some type of booze out of pop bottles and the cop poured it out and went on his way.
Is it illegal to drink alcohol at that park? The fact all he did was pour it out is not so bad though.
Well I can't say I know the law everywhere but in the U.S at least it's generally illegal to drink in public. One of the jobs bouncers have here is to make sure if you're drinking something you stay in the bar.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Eddie the head said:
Well I can't say I know the law everywhere but in the U.S at least it's generally illegal to drink in public. One of the jobs bouncers have here is to make sure if you're drinking something you stay in the bar.
I actually live in the U.S. and didn't know this, but upon doing a quick Google search apparently this is true. I can't believe I didn't know about it. To be fair, I don't drink, so maybe that has something to do with me not knowing. Since you seem to know more about this than I do, would you say it is generally enforced pretty strictly?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Eddie the head said:
jamail77 said:
Reasonable Atheist said:

What, no beer gardens or outside drinking establishments? Fucking barbarism :p

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2014/oct/12/racist-rant-brisbane-train-video

Probably this.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
jamail77 said:
Saltyk said:
I'm pretty convinced that the worst of racism is actually in the more Northern states.
So, you disavow the stereotype that overt racism is still big in the South and decide to substitute that stereotype by arguing racism is actually worse in the North? What? After feeling unjustly characterized why would you do it straight back? That just comes off as deflecting and antagonizing and frankly, while you don't owe any of us any proof for your statements I can't help find it annoying when people make statements like this and don't follow it up with any sort of stats or experience. Yeah, that's right, I'll even take anecdotal evidence. Just give me something rather than blunt "going against popular opinion" belief without clarification. At least that way, I know you're not saying it get back for the lingering Southern stereotypes rather than any misguided malice because I don't know how you feel with so little context. It feels deceitful to just say that and not follow it up on it. Then again, I don't write concisely partly because I follow up on everything I say and that has made many an Escapist user who prefer concise statements angry, exhausted (from reading my essay long posts), and/or divert focus away from responding back to me. So, maybe it's for the best you don't do that lest we write essays to each other. I don't know.

I am also curious how much of the South you have traveled through? As someone who lives in California I don't speak for California as a whole because I don't know the stats on these issues and haven't been to a majority of California. So, I've got no scientific evidence or anecdotal evidence really to back up any claims I could possibly make about California as a whole other than my limited, sheltered experiences. Of course, living here gives me some insight, but I can't generalize the entire state the way you are confident in generalizing the South. Even if I did know the stats, there's also the issue of self-racism, internalized racism, and/or subtle racism, the kind when people are ignorantly racist because they don't realize they're being racist in the first place. Those are all harder to pinpoint and it may surprise you to know a lot of places that don't come off as racist actually have 1 of those 3 forms of racism instead, if not a combination of them, though the 3rd isn't so bad because it's unintentional. That's not to say it's impossible for a completely non-racist place to exist, but let's not pretend this is as simple as being racist or not racist.

I hope none of that came off as insulting by the way. I didn't mean it if it did. I just want clarification really.
Well, some of the worst examples of racism in recent years have all happened in Northern states. Fergunson, New York police stop and frisk policy, Rodney King. I reject the Zimmerman case as an example, as I believe the circumstantial evidence indicates that he was attacked, though you could argue the Loud Music Case was an example (guy was a psychopath by all accounts). Many of history's most notable race riots (excluding Birmingham) occurred in Northern states, and in more recent years they tend to be focused more often outside of the Southern States with some exceptions. In the last ten years there have been no Southern race riots (with Ferguson literally being the closest example you can find, though I'm certain most would consider it to border the South rather than being a part of it, results may vary, though). There have been four examples of race riots in California in the last ten years, however.

But here's an example of some personal experience.

I work with plenty of black people. Probably close to half of our staff is black and frankly everyone gets along. At least there are never racial tensions. I've had two coworkers who lived during a period of time when racism was the norm and they were no different, but they didn't seem to have any such issues in this day and age. So I asked why that was. Both responded that they basically realized that racist attitudes weren't really acceptable anymore so they stopped.

As for anecdotal evidence, I have family pretty much all over the nation. From Louisiana to New York. Well, some family from New York State came down and visited my grandparents. After going to a store, they were amazed at the number of black people and even asked why there were so many. To most of us, it was little more than a common occurrence (Hell, I live in a black neighborhood and never thought of it till others brought it up), but we realized that this family member rarely saw any black people back home.

When one looks at the 2010 US census, this starts to make a great deal of sense. Over half of the US black population lives in the South. 55% of the black population lives in the South. In the Northeast, it's about 17% and less than 10% in the West. Isn't it amazing that there are rarely racially motivated incidents where over half of the black population lives? Yet, there have been four examples in California when it has the lowest population of blacks.

Basically, what I'm suggesting is that when people are used to one another, we stop caring. For example, my attitude towards homosexuality and bisexuality has greatly changed in the last few years due to having a close friend who is bisexual. Basically, I went from thinking it was okay as long as I didn't have to see it, to accepting it as completely normal.

Yes, racist attitudes still exist in the South, but they are generally looked down upon. We have transitioned. When my mom was young, she saw a KKK member standing on the side of the road taking donations (you read that right). I've only ever seen KKK members in documentaries and TV newscasts.

And just because someone makes a racist joke, it doesn't make them racist. Hell, I've traded jokes about race with black coworkers without incident (admittedly, you have to know your audience). We've even discussed racial issues while realizing that no one thinks any less of anyone else due to their race. The pigmentation of one's skin is meaningless, after all.

Yes, I see a person's race, but I don't care. The way they carry themselves and act matter more to me. Racist attitudes say more about the racist than the race they are judging.

As for the types, I care little to get into a debate about that.