Most Surprising or Saddest Death in a Game [spoilers]

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Final Fantasy 10 had the saddest ones for me.

Tidus and Jecht. Jecht's death was so sad, I hated having to kill him. Then we have Tidus, "Yuna, I have to go", then he takes the running dive off the airship, past Braska and Auron to high-five Jecht, it's amazing. Tidus was so awesome, all the time he was in high spirits about killing Sin to and then living in Spira, then he fins out that Sin is Jecht, and to kill him, Yuna has to die to summon the Final Aeon. Then they stop the Final Summonings by killing Yunalesca, to find out that he is just a dream of the fayth, and he has to die when they kill Yu Yevon. That story is so brilliant, god I love that game.

The most surprising was Zack's death at the end of Crisis Core, I never played FFVII so I didn't know it was coming.

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
Modern Warfare 2
Okay, after a lot of deaths and god knows how many thrown controllers, I've finally got the data! All I have to do is meet up with the choppas and-oh, hey it's Shepard! How'ya doing, pal? We got the data! So, did we do a good job or wha-
BANG!
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!

Fluffee

Aug 9, 2009
When Dad dies in fallout 3

at first its like FUCK! FUCK FUCK FUCK. then its sad. then funny because you remember he was the dog you abused in the VR Simulator.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Delita's death was both unexpected and saddening, that guy was awesome...

Galuf's death made me shed a tear.

Guard Scorpion as soon as he put down his tail... -sniff-

Zack in crisis core... I knew it was coming having played FF7 but it was still so sad...

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
surprising death was that of Eli in HL2:Ep2 or the nuke in CoD4 since i wasnt expecting either of them to be happening. I thought the nuke in CoD4 was a game-over sort of screen, that I was too slow.

sad, however?
when any character dies in a BioWare RPG that was in your party- esepcially if by your hands- like in KotOR or Mass Effect

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
EarthBound Hobo said:
Mother 3
When Lucas is forced to end his brothers life and the world has to restart. Worth my overpriced money simply because im an EarthBound fan.
So, so true.

The first time I've ever seen Text coincide with background music.

And it was awesome!

Dr.Sean

Apr 5, 2009
I cried when my familiar, Cuddles the Beholder, from Neverwinter Nights died, because he took 6 points of my health and an archer took advantage of this and killed me with a single arrow.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I have to say for mine

Gaz from CoD4
Atlas' "family" in Bioshock
Bill McDonagh in Bioshock (he was my favourite character, damnit)
Sullivan in Bioshock
Dwayne in GTA IV
The Captain in Cryostasis

Despite what many say to the contrary, I think Bioshock is the best game story. No other form of media, let alone game has drummed emotions like that in me before, even on the replay.

Chaotic Neutral

Oct 7, 2009
Dr. Paine said:
I'll also say that Areis' death never did anything for me. She was useless, I didn't like her, she... well, she was just a Companion Cube. Only more annoying to carry around.
RogueDarkJedi said:
FF7 = no. seriously.
Thirded. The game wasn't bad by any means, and Aeris was an okay character (plus Seal Evil was awesome during the fights with Lost Number and the evil wall thing), but it isn't the incredible classic people make it out to be, and her death in particular didn't affect me the way the writers intended. Mainly because it only happened on account of her stupidity. If she'd told the party where she was going and what she needed to do, they could have gone with her, set people to guard her while she prayed, and the crazy mama's boy could have done his dramatic falling stab thingy straight into Cid's spear and Barret's machine gun arm.

Instead, she runs off by herself knowing that she'll probably be attacked by a guy who'd previously demonstrated his strength by impaling a 150 foot long snake on a tree he'd broken in half for that purpose. Now, as a martial artist, I am aware of the power a good staff has in the hands of the skilled, and Aeris is actually capable of taking down a Shinra trooper in two hits when you first get her... but by this point we've seen Sephiroth slaughter his way through everything in his path, including masses of stronger troops and the aforementioned DOOM snake. What was she planning to do, wave her stick around and pray she hit his brain stem before he eviscerated her?

Her inevitable death was not tragic, it was just the Planet presenting its last Ancient with her well-deserved Darwin Award.

...Also, on a less serious note, anyone else think Sephiroth looks like a moron in the still preview of the Youtube video geldonyetich posted? I get that the graphics were a problem when it came to making expressive faces, but that's not an excuse to have the main villain I'm doing my best to take seriously start milking the giant cow. Even Kefka didn't do that.

Wini

Feb 4, 2009
Chopper's self sacrifice death in Ace Combat Squadron Leader so that his plane couldn't kill any innocence after his plane was hit.

FoodMonger

May 4, 2009
wrath1212 said:
Edit: Zero from megaman X. Such a bad ass!
That still gets to me a little

Also, what I thought was Price's death in CoD 4. In MW2 I was like "OMG PRICE ! YOU'RE ALIVE!
...wait, how did you..."

It felt like the plot writers were fucking with my head right then.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Episode 2. Almost made me cry.
I definetly agree, I'd almost mourn the loss of any of those npc's, they are all so deep.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Chaotic Neutral said:
Dr. Paine said:
I'll also say that Areis' death never did anything for me. She was useless, I didn't like her, she... well, she was just a Companion Cube. Only more annoying to carry around.
RogueDarkJedi said:
FF7 = no. seriously.
Thirded. The game wasn't bad by any means, and Aeris was an okay character (plus Seal Evil was awesome during the fights with Lost Number and the evil wall thing), but it isn't the incredible classic people make it out to be, and her death in particular didn't affect me the way the writers intended. Mainly because it only happened on account of her stupidity. If she'd told the party where she was going and what she needed to do, they could have gone with her, set people to guard her while she prayed, and the crazy mama's boy could have done his dramatic falling stab thingy straight into Cid's spear and Barret's machine gun arm.

Instead, she runs off by herself knowing that she'll probably be attacked by a guy who'd previously demonstrated his strength by impaling a 150 foot long snake on a tree he'd broken in half for that purpose. Now, as a martial artist, I am aware of the power a good staff has in the hands of the skilled, and Aeris is actually capable of taking down a Shinra trooper in two hits when you first get her... but by this point we've seen Sephiroth slaughter his way through everything in his path, including masses of stronger troops and the aforementioned DOOM snake. What was she planning to do, wave her stick around and pray she hit his brain stem before he eviscerated her?

Her inevitable death was not tragic, it was just the Planet presenting its last Ancient with her well-deserved Darwin Award.
I honestly can't reply to the 'Seal Evil' bit, seeing as how I never actually used her once I had a choice not to, but the rest of that should be posted whenever anyone mentioned how 'tragic' her death was.

And seeing as how the Planet (Spira, seeing as how Word of God stated that the force in the Farplane of X/X-2 was Mako, and Shinra of the Gullwings founded the Shinra company...) is sentient to some degree, or was implied to have been, I can totally see it managing to kill someone for being stupid. If only Earth did that.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Gaz and Sgt. Jackson in CoD4, Eli in Episode 2, Andrew Ryan in Bioshock and Bannon in World in Conflict

chinese_democracy

Aug 22, 2009
willard3 said:
chrisdibs said:
Yeah that was pretty crazy for me. It's one of those few moments that made my jaw literally drop.
If you guys are talking about the horse from SOTC, he lives at the end. If you are not talking about SOTC then my mistake.
the_maestro_sartori said:
I'd have to go with aeris gainsborough, FF7 - as a kid, it was not only traumatising but totally out of the blue, too.

edit- I so got ninja'd -.-
This is the quintessential sad gaming death and in my opinion will not be topped since "unexpected" character deaths are pretty common nowadays. Characters vital to the plot have died before in videogames, but the timing (halfway through the game) and the level of attachment I had reserved for Aerith made it much more abrupt and shocking.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
Kotor:
When you are playing the Dark side story and towards the end, when Mission Vao finally speaks up against your evil ways and you more or less murder her and Zalbaar for it. Made me fell... soiled inside.

Also, if you carry on from there and have Jolee Bindo and Juhani in your party they both attack you after the fight with Bastilla, which is pretty much the hardest fight in the game I think (at least if you gave them good EQ and strong powers) since they are two on one.