Most Tragic Villain

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Outcast107 said:
I am going to go out on a limb here and call gats from berserk and now I will explain why.

He started off born from his dead mother in pool of blood that was his entire village and family decapitated and nailed to a tree where he was picked up by a traveling mercenary group. He had a adopted mother and father but his father and most of the group hated him as it was seen as a bad omen to take him on the way they did. Eventually his mother dies of a desease and he I is inturn blamed because of him being considered a omen. He is emediatly put to work at the age of five in brutal wars stabing and killing other men to help earn money for the mercenary group. At about age 10 he is sold to a member of the mercenary group for the night by his adopted father where he is raped. His father comes back drunk one night and attempts to kill him in his grief over his dead wife where gatts accedently kills him and is in turn chased away into the wilderness by the mercenarys and then quickly becomes attacked by wolves and falls from a cliff. skip ahead about 9 years he has been fighting in different mercenary groups all his life all he knows is murder but at least hes skilled at it. He is picked up by a mecenary group and eventually becomes the second in comand and the strongest member and even gets a girl friend. He finally starts to open up and live a little when the leader of group (his best friend) becomes captured by the king for sleeping with the princess and is totured to the point where his is only a living skeleton as all his mucles are removed and is starved and beaten for 6 months. Eventually gatts rescues him only for his best friend to decide to sacrafice the entire mercenary group to the gods to gain power and become a god himself now that sounds brutal but sacrifice was more like demons comming and eating all of gatts friends in front of him and his best friend procedes to rape and impregnate his gf while makeing gatts watch. gatts manages to survive but his girl friends mind is destroyed and he loses a eye and one of his arms. And the story is STILL GOING so more shit keeps happening I mean he is deffinatly the most tragic easily.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Nox from the French cartoon Wakfu

Nox is a powrful Xelor (mage who can manipulate time and space) so is obsess with gathering wakfu (life force) into the Elicube (kind of like the Comic Cube in Marvel comic).
The origin to Nox can be watched in one of Wakfu TV special. Otherwise click on the spoiler and your own peril.
He is kind of like Smergle/ Gollum from Lord of the Ring. He was original a normal and healthy human who used to have a loving family (a beautiful wife and three kids). He was a great inventor but that doesn't pay the rent from his awful landlord. While he was under in debt but he is content with his family which is all he needed.
Anyway one day he stumbles upon a cube (Elicube) in a cave found by the family pet dog. He soon discover the cube had alot of powers and he spend alot of time trying to unlock the secret to it
This had become an obsession as he started to ignore his wife and children who pleaded to come back to them. He didn't listen as he continues to experiment the cube in his shed.
Some time later he had became skinny and suffers from insomnia but he may a discovery. He went to his family in their house to find it was empty. He found a letter that she took the kids to her sister who lived in a island and left the house.
While he did pack up to go to them but he "hear" the cube calling to him and he went back to the shed believing he is almost close to unlocking the cube powers.
Later on the landlord found in a crazy state and told him of the tragic news. His family had died in a raging storm that hit the island. In a fit of rage he kills the landlord and he became Nox.
He is the antagonist of the series as he is obsess absorbing all the Wakfu (life force) into the Elicube as he discover it possess the power of time travel which he will used to stop his mistake (forget the cube and be with his family). He had been gathering a lot of Wakfu for many years and in the last episode his plan had succeeded. He use the Elicube power and to his shock the time travel only took back 20 minutes not 200 years (he had a long life) he had expected. He pretty much cry at his failure and teleported away.
All I can say without any spoiler is while we often want to go back to the past to correct a mistake; he is the one who wanted that the most. While his past is a tragic one but I cannot fully feel sorry for him since it was his own selfish fault for his tragedy to happen in he first place.

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
As a total MGS 3 fanboy, my answer is The Boss. She is still the only character from a game atleast that I honestly didn't want to fight, and after the ending I felt like curling up in to a ball for a week.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Possibly Loki from Norse Mythology, depending upon the interpretation.

Taken from his home and forced into being a bastard 'son' to, quite frankly, a jerk (Odin).

His power was probably 4th greatest in the whole of Asgard (Odin, Heimdall, Thor then Loki) yet he was way down on the pecking order simply because he was a bastard.

He is given a role in which he is to cause mischief, then gets chewed out when he 'goes too far'. A mischief-maker with powers of a God wasn't supposed to go all out in his job? Again, Odin is really not so likeable.

It took being kicked out of his home for the guy to get a break, he finds a nice girl (Angrboda) and settles down, getting himself three kids (Fenris, Jormungand, Hel).

Unfortunately his troubles aren't over, as his foster-father/babynapper decides he just isn't done being a douche, takes each of the three kids and visits some bad news upon each one.

The youngest (Hel) he banishes to a crappy desk-job in the realm of dishonourable death, never to return until the worlds end. Fun times.

The middle child (Jormungand) is thrown into the sea. Nothing else really to say here, Odin tried to drown the kid.

The oldest and most promising (Fenris) is sent to a dungeon forever, with an unbreakable rope preventing him from opening his mouth further and a sword between his jaws preventing him from closing them.

Finally, the guy is hunted down by his tool of an older half-brother (Thor) and his jerkjock buddies when he is out having a nice quiet swim. He is chained to a rock for eternity, his eyes forced open and a snake drips venom into them forever.

That's one interpretation of Loki's life, and it could be seen as pretty damn tragic.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Mr. Freeze, obviously. And Kessler from inFAMOUS. And possibly Elphaba from Wicked... depending on how you view her character...

Nov 27, 2010
Flailing Escapist said:
lunncal said:
Flailing Escapist said:
Andrew Ryan. Everyday.

So much for wanting your own peaceful, capitalistic utopia.... Under the ocean
Uh... no, actually. He only created Rapture for his own ends, and his ideals were not capitalist, he was into objectivism. From what I gather, that basically means your only goal in life is to serve yourself and no-one else. He was a douchebag who cared about nothing but his own interests, and he got what was coming to him when that all collapsed around him.

Someone who follows objectivism would never create a society for like-minded objectivists (not sure if that's a real word) to live in, because doing something for other people is exactly what that philosophy opposes.
Thats kinda why I struck it out.

He was trying to create a world free of the oppressions of goverment and religion. And even tho he failed at that and became the villain a villain he was still, in my mind one of the most tragic villains I could think of. Because hey, who doesn't want to live free of the restrictive straps of the "enlightened" man?

Yeah, he probably got what was coming to him when his world collapsed around him. But isn't that the tragedy?
I think the tragic part of his arc is that he gets ended by way of a lobotomy with a golf club. By his fucking son.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Quite possibly Victor Delacroix from Chaos Legion.

He relentlessly pursued his best friend for killing his fiancee, so blinded by rage he couldn't recall the true events that took place. Only in his dying moments, about to release the world's greatest evil did he see that, while possessed by the very evil he was about to release, he attacked his best friend, and his fiancee saved his life by jumping in front of the blade.

Realizing this, he tosses himself from the platform, committing suicide, having just unleashed an unstoppable evil.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the reason he's releasing this being is because he believes it can resurrect his fiancee.
Ninja'd.. I definitely second this. I remember feeling so bad for him at the end of the game.

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
Emporer Griffin Is what i would call something of a tragic villain though something is compelling me to say hes not fully, but hey I would have to get pretty creative to not repeat someone else answer. ANYWAY exposition!

Emperor Griffin originally named Sirus was a young Moon Person, who was living on earth. He had a fondness for all things flowers, and that's when he found Moon Flower Palace he wanders aorund then gets captured by one of the guards. He yells for help as the guard is dragging him away when the queen arrives halting the guard. Sirus is frozen in place as he gazes up at the beautiful queen Alexandria. the guard is ordered to leave and Sirus and Alexandria have a heart to heart. In which Sirus is given a new job as the Palace Gardener.

Years go by in which a war en sews and Moon Flower Palace is attacked by an Army. Alexandria orders Sirus to flee. He is hesitant but does so at the last minute as the army breaks into the palace. Sirus returns the next day. He gazes upon the ruined garden he once tended. He also find the corpse of Alexandria in the castle. His body fills with anger, he curses all humans for destroying everything they see and taking all he loved away from him. It is then that the Yellow
Atlamillia is bestowed upon him.

With the Atlimillila he creates the Dark Element which posses him and gives him the power to destroy the human race.

micky

Apr 27, 2009
I think Saint Astraea from Demons Souls.she accepted the Soul of a Demon in order to ease the abandoned. I just felt kind-of bad when i got through that stage. if you read the backstory of that place its really creepy and sad.

Urdnot Perplex

Aug 11, 2011
Lisa Trevor from Resident Evil. I can't say if she's a villain, but if someone is following you throughout the game trying to clobber you to death I think that qualifies.

SPOILERS!
Lisa is the victim of the Umbrella Corporation. She was used as a test subject to determine the effects of various viruses and what-not. The effects were not pleasant. But she survived and proved to be a good test subject. However, she grew increasingly violent and became more of a burden than an asset. They tried to get rid of her but failed. What's left of Lisa is a monstrous form of a girl. She's quite bonkers at this point. Driven insane by misery and pain and the deep longing for her long lost mother. When she finally does locate her mother's remains, she leaps to her death to join her somewhere beyond. However, due to the experiments Lisa is invulnerable to practically all physical damage. Not until the mansion where she lurks (and where the majority of the game takes place) blows up does she finally die. But still, what a tragic existence.

thenuminator

Nov 26, 2008
Definitly Necron from Final Fantasy 9

But On a more serious note i agree with snape from the last harry potter

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Airsoftslayer93 said:
Snape, not truly a villain, but definaitly fits.
Always.

I also thought this applied to Draco as well. I mean, if you just watch the scene where he's about to kill Dumbledore, you can just fucking feel every emotion that the character should be feeling.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
The Beast from Infamous can be seen as tragic. Perhaps not the most tragic, but pretty tragic.

[spoiler/]He was helping Cole, got ripped apart atom from atom, rebuilt himself, then had to go around killing hundreds of people, which is something he doesn't want to do, but does because he's trying to ensure humanity would be saved in the long run.[/spoiler]

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Hawk of Battle said:
I recently started the Horus Heresy novels, so I'm gona go with the Primarch Fulgrim. Man that dude had a raw fucking deal.

Slowly corrupted and made insane by a Chaos Deamon of Slaanesh, tricked into turning against his father and killing his closest brother, then right after, realsiing what he's done and begging the deamon for oblivion. Instead the deamon takes complete control of his body and shoves Fulgrims consciousness to the back of their shared mind, leaving him trapped inside his own body, fully aware and sane, forced to watch for 10,000 years as the deamon rapes, tortures and brutalises half a galaxy for its own sadistic pleasure and drawing even more pleasure from Fulgrims constant screaming.

And nobody else knows what's happened to him, the rest of the galaxy just thinks Fulgrim turned evil, they have no idea he still exists, trapped inside his own head.

Talk about a fate worse than death.
I just read that too. Agreed.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
Mr. Freeze, obviously. And Kessler from inFAMOUS. And possibly Elphaba from Wicked... depending on how you view her character...
Kessler is actually pretty tragic. In a way, he was just like...
[spoiler/]The Beast. Doing bad things with good intentions[/spoiler]

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I'd have to say Bisochim, from the Enduring Flame trilogy. He's a mage who falls in love with a dragon and bonds with her. However, he is torn up inside because bonding with a dragon makes it(/her/him) mortal. Saravasse (The dragon) is acceptive of her fate, but Bisochim searches for a way to make her survive, and ends up falling prey to a demon that corrupts him while promising him the life of his beloved.

He wasn't a bad guy to begin with; but he ends up being twisted by evil and causing the deaths of thousands.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Nostalgia Critic FTW.

The young boy from Please Save My Earth, Fuuma from Tokyo Babylon, Rezo from Slayers, Count Olaf from A Series of Unfortunate Events, The New Red Hood from the Batman comics (pre-reboot), Magneto....

I love tragic villains; you can't help but root for them sometimes.