Most Underrated Weapon in Gaming

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Shpongled said:
Plasma pistol in Halo was always incredibly under-rated. Both in the campaign and multiplayer. A quick 1-2 shot from the plasma pistol followed by normal pistol/battle rifle could insta kill elites in single player, even on legendary, and any human enemy in multiplayer just as quick as any of the special weapons, which were rare as fuck and ran out of energy/ammo quickly. The fact that you could find plasma pistols anywhere made them reliable for multiplayer and legendary mode easy. Yet they were completely overlooked for the most part.
I don't think the plasma pistol was underrated in multiplayer. Didn't everyone call plasma pistol + battle rifle the noob combo [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Noob%20Combo] because of how OP everyone thought it was? It was one of those weapons which people would actually whine at the people using it.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Nazulu said:
The laptop gun from Perfect Dark 64. Why aren't more games stealing this idea? It's so much fun to find hiding places for it. It's as fun as shopping for new stuff I reckon.
Ooohh, the laptop gun is a good one.

The dragon was great for griefing. It's a gun AND a land mine. You may kill me, but I'll take you with me. ;)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
camerinian said:
The Blade Of Artemis from the original God Of War, if only because all of the attention it deserves is sucked up by the Blades Of Chaos. Sure, the Chaos Blades were cool, but being able to absolutely rip through enemies never got old for me. You could seriously do some major damage with that thing and, if there were enough small enemies around, you could rack up massive combos that the Blades Of Chaos would never be able to do. Yeah its range kind of sucked, but it honestly felt a lot more satisfying when it made contact with an enemy. It's just kind of sad that you only get it later in the game, otherwise I would have likely used it just as much, if not more than the Chaos Blades.

Also knowing how to use the Blade Of Artemis really does help you out in the final boss battle. Just sayin'
It's probably the best secondary weapon in the whole series. It absolutely destroyed gorgons and juggled minotaurs like nobody's business. It also made short work of the cerberus puppies, which comes in incredibly handly in that one area where they fucking swarm you like locusts.

And seeing those decapitation animations never got old.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
wetfart said:
Nazulu said:
The laptop gun from Perfect Dark 64. Why aren't more games stealing this idea? It's so much fun to find hiding places for it. It's as fun as shopping for new stuff I reckon.
Ooohh, the laptop gun is a good one.

The dragon was great for griefing. It's a gun AND a land mine. You may kill me, but I'll take you with me. ;)
I think we should just say Perfect Dark. I'm starting to remember why I used to play multilayer all day now.

Loved following my friends with the slayer or creeping up on camper with the cloak gun and then switching to the slap to blur 'em to death.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
ComandaKool said:
The Snub Pistol from the Gears Of War Series. (especially Gears Of War 3) Most players just consider it that shitty sidearm you spawn with, but get a full clip perfect reload and that semi-automatic beauty becomes the best damn weapon in the game.
Hell yeah, Snub pistol is awesome. Sure I'll pick up the gorgon or magnum first chance I get, but the snub is far from useless in my book.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
nvzboy said:
The m1911 is a two-shot kill but only if one of the two shots was a headshot... I thought I'd clear that up.

OT: In battlefield the scar-l gets so little love yet it's a surgeons weapon. I guess everyone is just too much in love with the m16 to care.
Oh. I didn't know that on account of never using the 1911.

I think the best assault rifle is the AUG A3, because of its ludicrously overpowered bullet velocity, having the advantages of a bullpup gun, and still being able to equip an underslung rail. The SCAR-L, to me, has way too much bullet spread to warrant using it over the AUG A3.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Nothing beats a Bastard Gun :)

"Submachinegun, 5.45 cailber-It's got poor accuracy and overheats like hell-That's why they call it a "Bastard gun" hahah."

Quote is pretty accurate, untill you find a surpressed one.

Shpongled

Apr 21, 2010
BrotherRool said:
Shpongled said:
Plasma pistol in Halo was always incredibly under-rated. Both in the campaign and multiplayer. A quick 1-2 shot from the plasma pistol followed by normal pistol/battle rifle could insta kill elites in single player, even on legendary, and any human enemy in multiplayer just as quick as any of the special weapons, which were rare as fuck and ran out of energy/ammo quickly. The fact that you could find plasma pistols anywhere made them reliable for multiplayer and legendary mode easy. Yet they were completely overlooked for the most part.
I don't think the plasma pistol was underrated in multiplayer. Didn't everyone call plasma pistol + battle rifle the noob combo [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Noob%20Combo] because of how OP everyone thought it was? It was one of those weapons which people would actually whine at the people using it.
IDK, now that you mention it i do vaguely remember "noob combo" being thrown around, but i don't remember it being used all that commonly. Despite that nonsense on urban dictionary it wasn't exactly an insta-win combo, if you missed with the plasma shot then you'd lost, and it was pretty easy to dodge it at mid-long range. Honestly in BR games it wasn't really much of an advantage at all because at most ranges you could get off enough BR bursts during the plasma shot travel time to win anyway, as long as you were accurate, and at really close ranges it usually came down to who timed their melee the best.

That stuff on urban dictionary just sounds like sour grapes, it was the battle rifle that made the combo OP, the battle rifle was just broken in Halo 2. I suspect people just bitched about the plasma pistol because people were beating them with such a lowly weapon.

I guess what i mean though is it in comparison to the big special weapons, it was under-rated. Everyone always rushed for the sword or the rocket launcher or whatnot, when the plasma pistol could kill people just as quickly if used right. Though that's kinda why i loved halo so much, most weapons were very capable in the right hands/situation. Apart from the bloody BR, that game was well-balanced.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
More or less any standard/starting weapon for any shooter game. Despite them not having any exotic abilities or traits, they are usually balanced really nicely, so much so that even experienced players stick with them for their solid predictability and reliability in placing shots. Case in point, the M16 in BF3 for the US Assault Class. Easily the best all-round AR, second only to the 416 you unlock down the line a little.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Shpongled said:
IDK, now that you mention it i do vaguely remember "noob combo" being thrown around, but i don't remember it being used all that commonly. Despite that nonsense on urban dictionary it wasn't exactly an insta-win combo, if you missed with the plasma shot then you'd lost, and it was pretty easy to dodge it at mid-long range. Honestly in BR games it wasn't really much of an advantage at all because at most ranges you could get off enough BR bursts during the plasma shot travel time to win anyway, as long as you were accurate, and at really close ranges it usually came down to who timed their melee the best
Missing with a charge shot isn't too hard considering that fully-charged bursts homed in on targets and released an AOE blast on impact. It as pretty noob.

The worst was in Halo 2 and 3 when you could wield a Plasma Pistol in one hand and a Magnum in the other. You didn't even need to take the time to change weapons!

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Battlefield: Bad Company 2. The Dragunov SVU, with built-in suppressor. I used to hide in bushes and fire a quick volley of shots into any enemy getting close. Wasn't unusual to get an average of 3-4 kills/life. That thing was death incarnate.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Shpongled said:
IDK, now that you mention it i do vaguely remember "noob combo" being thrown around, but i don't remember it being used all that commonly. Despite that nonsense on urban dictionary it wasn't exactly an insta-win combo, if you missed with the plasma shot then you'd lost, and it was pretty easy to dodge it at mid-long range. Honestly in BR games it wasn't really much of an advantage at all because at most ranges you could get off enough BR bursts during the plasma shot travel time to win anyway, as long as you were accurate, and at really close ranges it usually came down to who timed their melee the best.

That stuff on urban dictionary just sounds like sour grapes, it was the battle rifle that made the combo OP, the battle rifle was just broken in Halo 2. I suspect people just bitched about the plasma pistol because people were beating them with such a lowly weapon.

I guess what i mean though is it in comparison to the big special weapons, it was under-rated. Everyone always rushed for the sword or the rocket launcher or whatnot, when the plasma pistol could kill people just as quickly if used right. Though that's kinda why i loved halo so much, most weapons were very capable in the right hands/situation. Apart from the bloody BR, that game was well-balanced.
Doesn't that mean it's over-rated then? If people are saying it's more effective than it actually is and calling it OP when it's not? =D To be clear, I didn't get this from Urban Dictionary, my friends would complain or talk about the noob combo and I just looked up the urban dictionary reference to make sure that they were right about other people using it too. It gets a lot of hits on google* and there are a ton of forum threads discussing what the new noob combo in Halo 3 was etc

*One of them is video with the description "Here are some reasons why the noob combo is gay and people who use it are fucking noobs" because it wouldn't be Halo if there weren't some whiny kids playing it too.

I guess the gun itself didn't get much attention though, it was just the combination of it and a headshot weapon

Shpongled

Apr 21, 2010
BrotherRool said:
Doesn't that mean it's over-rated then? If people are saying it's more effective than it actually is and calling it OP when it's not? =D To be clear, I didn't get this from Urban Dictionary, my friends would complain or talk about the noob combo and I just looked up the urban dictionary reference to make sure that they were right about other people using it too. It gets a lot of hits on google* and there are a ton of forum threads discussing what the new noob combo in Halo 3 was etc

*One of them is video with the description "Here are some reasons why the noob combo is gay and people who use it are fucking noobs" because it wouldn't be Halo if there weren't some whiny kids playing it too.

I guess the gun itself didn't get much attention though, it was just the combination of it and a headshot weapon
Hey, not saying you're wrong! Just how i remember it. Seem to remember it as being the sort of thing you'd see every now and then. Usually either someone using it briefly because all the special stuff was taken, or that 1 guy who was just ridiculously good with it. I guess it must have got a lot more popular later on, i played it mainly in the first year or so of release and i don't seem to remember seeing it utilized well all that often.

The Lazy Blacksmith said:
Missing with a charge shot isn't too hard considering that fully-charged bursts homed in on targets and released an AOE blast on impact. It as pretty noob.

The worst was in Halo 2 and 3 when you could wield a Plasma Pistol in one hand and a Magnum in the other. You didn't even need to take the time to change weapons!
Yeh i remember it homing in, just only a little. Sort of enough for it to hit if all you did was side-step a little, but avoidable if you full-on strafed while it flew by.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Da Orky Man said:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2. The Dragunov SVU, with built-in suppressor. I used to hide in bushes and fire a quick volley of shots into any enemy getting close. Wasn't unusual to get an average of 3-4 kills/life. That thing was death incarnate.
It's beast in any game it is featured in.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
The standard Shotgun from Doom II carried me through most of the game, but weapons like the Super Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle, and the BFG-9000 greatly overshadowed it.

The Painkiller shotgun got this treatment as well, being a very very handy weapon, having the ice to freeze tough enemies as well. The Shuriken/Lightning weapon was cool but nowhere nearly as useful as the ice-shotty.

Fallout 3's hunting rifle comes to mind. It is another basic weapon that carries the day while the other fancier toys get more attention.

While not technically a weapon, Round Shield Cav in Rome Total War are really underused. They are fast, cheap and can do well when massed against tough enemy cav. I always take 6 of them when I can. Desert Cav are the same way, cheap axe wielding Egyptian horses that have an armor piercing attack so they are even better.

Javelins in Mount&Blade are very useful. Just add a few points in throwing and your heavy knight can have some answer to horse archers scampering away like cowards. A lone javelin to the horse's head will bring down most foes handily.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
demoman_chaos said:
Fallout 3's hunting rifle comes to mind. It is another basic weapon that carries the day while the other fancier toys get more attention.
I used the Hunting Rifle the entire game, even when I had weapons that out classed it in every way, Why? Everybody seems to use one so I never ran out of ammo.