Most untarnished big-name franchise (can be any type of media)?

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Lovely Mixture said:
It's hard for me to think about this. I'm not sure if it's because I'm pessimistic, that quite a few of my beloved franchises have hit rocky edges (Hitman, Mass Effect, Spider-Man, Warhammer 40K,to name a few), or that my conditions for "untarnished" are nearly impossible to satisfy (not even Valve is perfect in my eyes).
40k canon is all over the freaking place because it's written by two hundred dudes who can't decide what's what. That's why there's one of the books where Space Marines actually repaint their armor in appropriate camo for a particular mission, and then there was someone else who went "Marines!! Awesome!!" and decided that they can punch entire armies to death while wearing bright orange.

Ninjafire72

Feb 27, 2011
Hawk of Battle said:
I can't beleive nobody has said Avatar: The Last Airbender yet. Shame on you all.
That would have been true if M Night Shamalama or whatever he is hadn't decided to slap together a god-awful movie for it. I swear if I hear that girl who played Kitara say 'aang' one more time...

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
I'll say it... the mother/Earthbound series. 3 games, all magnificent for their time (3 is still magnificent) Also Cowboy Bebop and Team Ico's work (Ico and Shadow of the colossus)Ghost in the shell is usually at least decent too... and thats all I got.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Asclepion said:
40k canon is all over the freaking place because it's written by two hundred dudes who can't decide what's what. That's why there's one of the books where Space Marines actually repaint their armor in appropriate camo for a particular mission, and then there was someone else who went "Marines!! Awesome!!" and decided that they can punch entire armies to death while wearing bright orange.
Indeed, but it is general consensus that there are writers who respect the lore (ie. Dan Abnett) and writers that add whatever the hell they want despite being extremely silly (ie. Matt Ward).

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
JordanXlord said:
Hawk of Battle said:
I can't beleive nobody has said Avatar: The Last Airbender yet. Shame on you all.
The Movie Sucked Ass...no other word

the Series rocked Ass though
Ninjafire72 said:
Hawk of Battle said:
That would have been true if M Night Shamalama or whatever he is hadn't decided to slap together a god-awful movie for it. I swear if I hear that girl who played Kitara say 'aang' one more time...
What movie?

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
Vigormortis said:
I seriously think you underestimate how commonly known the Half-Life series is among gamers.
I didn't mean Half Life wasn't mainstream - heck, even normal people have heard of Portal - but some of the stuff people are suggesting... Not much point arguing over Avatar: The Last Airbender if all most people know of it is the movie.

Vigormortis said:
Also, considering two failed experiments still led to some of the best games to be released in those respective years, I'd hardly consider them (the Episodes) to be blemishes.
Yeah, the only way I could work it is if you count Half Life 3 as a thing, then it's a blemish because it doesn't exist. Or, if you don't then the series ending is just terrible - worse than ME3.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Well Jak and Daxter holds a special place in my heart and works well for this if we can just pretend Final Frontier never happened.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
How about Back to the Future?
The quality's pretty consistent there.
Oh, and Cowboy Bebop. While the film wasn't AS good as the series, it was still above average.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
wintercoat said:

Watch that and tell me Lord of the Rings was never associated with anything bad. What the fuck were they on?

I will agree with you on FMA though.
That's about Bilbo Baggins who I don't realy count as a main charactr in Lord of the Rings, so I think it's still safe.

Only thng I can think of is the Elder Scrolls, new one gets announced, millions get excited, millions are satisfied with the game. Repeat...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wallace and Gromit

Four animated shorts and one feature film produced by Dreamworks Animation no less, and it still retained its quirky British charm.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Lord of the rings I'd say.
There were a few travesties of games, but it was acceptable at worst.

Also Half-Life. Can you count the unreasonable development times as a blot on it's reputation?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
disappointed said:
Vigormortis said:
I seriously think you underestimate how commonly known the Half-Life series is among gamers.
I didn't mean Half Life wasn't mainstream - heck, even normal people have heard of Portal - but some of the stuff people are suggesting... Not much point arguing over Avatar: The Last Airbender if all most people know of it is the movie.
Ah. Fair enough. The wording in your original post made it sound like you were referencing Half-Life specifically. As if implying it's not well known. (which made no sense to me. :p )

And yes, it's unfortunate most people now think of that awful film instead of the animated series. I'm not even a fan of the show and even I feel angry at M. Night.

disappointed said:
Vigormortis said:
Also, considering two failed experiments still led to some of the best games to be released in those respective years, I'd hardly consider them (the Episodes) to be blemishes.
Yeah, the only way I could work it is if you count Half Life 3 as a thing, then it's a blemish because it doesn't exist. Or, if you don't then the series ending is just terrible - worse than ME3.
When I think of "blemish on a franchise", I think of a bad entry. As in, in the case of video games, a really poorly made game that's no where near as good as the other entries in the series. Episode 1 and Episode 2 were anything but poorly made. The viability of episodic content, in the form Valve was aiming for, may have proved untenable, but that doesn't mean the episode games themselves were bad. So I just can't see them as a "blemish" on the series.

As for the ending, yes it was a hell of a cliff-hanger. One they've left us sitting on for years. (which at this point is almost a joke, a rude joke, because of how long we've been waiting for a conclusion) But, at least the ending made sense and fit the story arc. Mass Effect 3's ending(s) were a complete departure from what the rest of the series was; and the more you think about even the smallest aspects of them, the less sense they make.

So, in a way, I agree that Half-Life 3, metaphorically speaking, is the real blemish of the Half-Life series.

(side note)
I still wonder why people assume Valve's never going to make Half-Life 3. It's still their favorite series to work on (collectively), and they often use it as not only a way of showing off their new ideas and story telling techniques, but as a test bed for new game-play concepts and engine tech. It really doesn't seem likely they'd just "forget" about it.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Well recently Halo has dropped from Main Stream, it's still popular sure an it's amazing but it's not as "holy shit everyone is doing it" ordeal since Call of Duty took over

I'd personally say that, Dead Space, or a Valve game, but then again Valve is mainstream to its hardcore fans so....it's odd
Agreed, Halo is still really good, but is not as popular as it was back with Halo 3 or 2. But still good.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
King of Asgaard said:
How about Back to the Future?
The quality's pretty consistent there.
Oh, and Cowboy Bebop. While the film wasn't AS good as the series, it was still above average.
The film managed to completely outdo the series in terms of music, however.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Wallace and Gromit

Four animated shorts and one feature film produced by Dreamworks Animation no less, and it still retained its quirky British charm.
And Shaun the Sheep.