Most vomit/headache-inducing levels/sections in games.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
I'm quite pleased about just completing this level...

To celebrate, I'd like to ask my fellow escapists about the most headache or vomit inducing levels they've every played. It can be visual tricks like above, or just really atrocious graphics that make it almost impossible to play.

Now I need to go for a lie down...

EDIT: Obviously videos of the levels in question would be great.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
The underwater part of Chaser makes me sick and I'm just watching it.

I guess controlling and navigating for the level is just terrible. One let's player had to wear motion sickness bands to get through this level.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Elfgore said:
The underwater part of Chaser makes me sick and I'm just watching it.

I guess controlling and navigating for the level is just terrible. One let's player had to wear motion sickness bands to get through this level.
I was JUST about to come in and link that. Beat me to it. But yeah that definitely comes to mind.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
There will never, EVER be anything worse, Then drakengard 3, the Final song. What you didn't do a timed button press in a pitch black screen, get ready to start the 8 minute song over again.

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
for some reason katamari gives me headaches/illness.. and before that games like wolfenstein 3d and its like did..
i dont seem to take the world moving rather than your character very well. probably not explained very well.. but thats the only way i can think to put it right now.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
There was a town of artists in Suikoden 5 that was absolutely dreadful to see and listen.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Never played it, but I saw gameplay of Kane and Lynch 2 and that was just horrible.

Sep 9, 2007
The Vomitorium from Rise of the Triad - Dark War (The old one). Its mostly large, tall rooms filled with Elasto and Shrooms powerups and bounce pads. Half the time you won't have control over your motion and the other half your screen will be shaking and certain objects will be glowing odd colours. Thankfully it's only a bonus mission and can only be accessed by warping there.

Here's the best video I could find of it (The Vomitorium level starts at 2:30)

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012

Obani Draco in Ratchet and Clank 3 was funky and kinda dizzying.
Still my second favorite level in the game but still kinda trippy.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Pretty much the entirety of the RX Tech Mines level in Tomb Raider III. From the horrible, horrible mine cart itself and its trial and error gameplay, to that abysmal end level water section.. ugh. About the only good things I have to say on it is the slight The Thing vibes it has, and the sense of isolation as you delve deep underground in the ice. Other than those atmospheric elements, the level is goddamn trash.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
The Eupho Guy said:
The Vomitorium from Rise of the Triad - Dark War (The old one). Its mostly large, tall rooms filled with Elasto and Shrooms powerups and bounce pads. Half the time you won't have control over your motion and the other half your screen will be shaking and certain objects will be glowing odd colours. Thankfully it's only a bonus mission and can only be accessed by warping there.

Here's the best video I could find of it (The Vomitorium level starts at 2:30)

Well, in ROTT's defense, they DID actually name the level "The Vomitorium", so you kinda knew what you were getting into.

Anyway, my vote goes to Blighttown from Dark Souls. The level didn't make you sick or dizzy, but it caused a lot of slowdown, the lighting was all over the place, and every step you took felt like you were going to fall off the stage even when it seemed like you had solid ground below you. Just a pain in the butt level.

Shaels

Jul 11, 2014
Country
United States
That god-damned Fade dream sequence in Dragon Age: Origins. Overlong, tedious, and pointless. We get some fine character moments with our respective party members in their dream-prisons, but those moments don't come close to justifying the sequence as a whole.

Props to the DA modding community for cutting that part short.

AmberSword

Jun 16, 2014
Actually some people get nauseated from any game with too low an FOV, prominent example would be TotalBiscuit, I don't really find it a problem, but can see why it matters.

Other than that, I can't recall ever getting literally sick when playing a game, but levels where there's an alarm in the background and constant red flashing do come close, the Draklor Laboratory from FF XII is one I can think of, god that made me mad.

Xaidor

Feb 15, 2014
I can't help but to bring the ancient level that tormented me for a long time:
GTA Vice City's Demolition man
Other than that, I absolutely despise any sewer level in any game.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
The Tomb Raider reboot actually gave me a literal pain in the neck because of involuntary straining, due to how the camera was restricted and also kept trying to pull back to center, so I was constantly fighting it.

Does that count?

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Xaidor said:
I can't help but to bring the ancient level that tormented me for a long time:
GTA Vice City's Demolition man
Other than that, I absolutely despise any sewer level in any game.
Honestly I think what I did to complete that mission was to reconfigure all of my keys - coudln't get a handle on it at all before that. But then I was playing on a PC so at least it was possible to reconfigure everything exactly has I wanted. I just feel bad for people doing this on consoles - and respect for those that accomplished it.

EDIT: and by god did that vid remind me of just what a fucking AWESOME soundtrack Vice city has. Puts every other GTA game to shame by comparison.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Antichamber. I don't know if it was the bright, solid colors, the FOV or whatever, but I played that game for three hours one night until I felt my eyes were a little prickly, went to sleep, and the next morning I could barely open them and they were blood-shot to the point I had to go to the doctor with them.

I had a similar experience with the club level of DMC Devil May Cry, but Antichamber was the first game that made me go to the doc to get some eyedrops...

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Exhumed for the ps1, it has some weird textures that seems to move in random directions when you walk, it's very odd and very vomit inducing when you play it for a while.

Might be hard to see in the video, the best way to explain is that if you stand in a corner and move the player, every texture on walls and floor will move, like looking through a kaleidioscope maybe?