Mother drives 4 kids into river to die

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
She was messed up, but if she had survived, she should have been tried for murder and punished to the fullest extent of the law (I don't support the death penalty).

I understand suicide, but forced mass suicide is not something a "good mother" or a good person would ever do.

Gotta feel bad for that kid though. He's the real victim.

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
I am so happy I am not that kid and that my biggest worry right now is that I have an exam tomorrow morning.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
This seems like a really sick Saw trap. Good for the kid for surviving, sad for the other three, and I have no empathy for the mom and what she did.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Kakashi on crack said:
I'm looking out in everyone's best interests when I say: "This chick needed to get taken out of the gene pool" because really, would you prefer our society slowly loose its mental stability?
Hell, judging by the behaviour of a few posters in this thread (you included), I'd say that's happening already regardless.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Wardnath said:
Kakashi on crack said:
I'm looking out in everyone's best interests when I say: "This chick needed to get taken out of the gene pool" because really, would you prefer our society slowly loose its mental stability?
Hell, judging by the behaviour of a few posters in this thread (you included), I'd say that's happening already regardless.

I know I'm insane, there's no use pointing it out. I'll bark like a dog at office meetings, and cluck like a chicken while running across the school courtyard if I want to!

BUT...

There's a method to my madness ;)

Socks and Shoes

Mar 11, 2011
Kakashi on crack said:
Ympulse said:
I for one am glad that she took herself and most of her children out of the gene pool. Stupid people shouldn't be breeding.
I keep seeing people say "this is horrible BLAAARGH" but in all actuality, it's people who are complaining about how "this is so inhumane to say" that are leading our society into becoming a living incarnation of the movie Idiocracy.

I support you good sir, for just stating what was obviously true, and obviously going to start a fight in this thread with everyone yelling at you, but needed to be said.

It may seem cold, and hearltess, and people might think it makes others look "like they are trying to be cool" but in all honesty, I have a very toasty heart, kind, etc, and I still think this guy is fricking correct!

BEING UNSYMPATHETIC IS COOL! :D

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Kakashi on crack said:
You realise how much of a Nazi you sound when saying that don't you?

Ironic, I guess considering my avatar. Still doesn't change the fact that that post is very Nazi-ish.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Fuck. It's really hard to believe that people would do shit like this, no matter how messed up their lives are. It absolutely sucks for the children, and even now, the one who survived will most likely be scarred for the rest of his life.

Furburt said:
Kakashi on crack said:
So...eugenics, then, right?

Fun.
Not to mention the fact that the children had no choice in the matter.

Socks and Shoes

Mar 11, 2011
Kakashi on crack said:
I know I'm insane, there's no use pointing it out. I'll bark like a dog at office meetings, and cluck like a chicken while running across the school courtyard if I want to!
Lay off the drugs, kiddo.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Red Right Hand said:
Kakashi on crack said:
You realise how much of a Nazi you sound when saying that don't you?
A bit, I didn't flat out say someone should kill her, just that she needed to have been taken out of the gene pool.

If I want to sound like a nazi (and please realize I do not know German, only English, Zombie, and some Spanish) I would have said: Wir sollten die Frau getötet, bevor sie wiedergegeben haben, HEIN HITLER! (google translation: We should have killed that woman before she reproduced)

EDIT: By the way, I did feel bad for the kids, it's completely possible that they would have been mentally stable and ok, its just said woman who needed to be removed from the gene pool.

Estoki

May 25, 2010
Eri said:
Kortney said:
Red Right Hand said:
Kortney said:
Sorry, but what is the discussion value here?

Yeah it's horrible. I'm glad one of the kids survived. Blah blah blah! I don't really know what else to add. Erm, the Mum was an idiot?
Having once written a 1000 word essay on the inside of a ping-pong ball, I can safely tell you that you can find discussion in anything. Just use your brain.
Doesn't change the fact we should encourage discussion value on this forum. It's annoying when people just post "news".
As opposed to topics like who is your favorite pony?
What a brilliant idea, Eri, let's derail the thread about tragedy and turn it into one about ponies.

I actually like receiving the news here, especially from other users rather than the Escapist itself, it means I can pretty much constantly browse this one forum for everything I need, fun and information.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Furburt said:
KingGolem said:
Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Maybe suicide is a good thing for the rest of us, eh? Those persons of the temperament and emotional distress sufficient to kill themselves will be removed from our society, and if they take their kids with them then the state doesn't have to worry about what to do with the orphans.
Oh, I see. You're one of those guys who thinks it makes them look cool to be completely emotionally cold and callous.

Well guess what, it doesn't. It makes you look like a spoiled loser who doesn't appreciate the value of human life.

It's fucking endemic on these forums. Every time I see a thread about killing or war there's always a huge amount of people who act like this just to look tough. It sickens me. People on here need to learn some human empathy.

I'll probably get moderated for this, but I don't care. You and and everyone else who talks like this disgust me.
And you look like an overreacting ass. He has his opinions, you have yours. There is absolutely no reason to flame him for it. If he, screw it, if I cared deeply about every death that happened, rather than try to laugh it off, I would not be as happy as I was now.

People deal with horrible news in different ways. Learn to deal with that before you flame people for no good reason. That's even worse than being uncaring.

OP:

Kinda sucks. Mothers an idiot, why the hell did she have to take lives with her?

Kids probably going to be mentally scarred for life.

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
Giving this a bit of thought, I can almost see how this came to be. It is a tragedy, and I can only hope that La'Shaun gets the therapy he needs and can live in a healthier environment. There's not enough information to determine how long it took to get to this point, but it clearly wasn't a snap judgement.

And to those who say we're better off without, I'm going to argue against that. We as society have therapy as well as help programs to prevent these situations. There were clearly signs of trouble that went unnoticed or unmentioned until this point. She was a mother raising 3 children blinded by emotion, but had enough of a conscience to regret her situation in the end.

Had one person taken initiative, all of them could have been saved, and would likely grow up to help society as a whole, which would benefit the human race. As it is, 3 people died and one was psychologically traumatized, which could potentially hurt more.

This is a pretty clear tragedy from any standpoint. Use it as an example of what can happen when you ignore warning signs from those close to you. If every human could support themselves, we wouldn't be a social species.