Mother Finds Pro-Islam Message In DS Game

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Company made a cheap game that contained baby babble. They probably didn't playtest it. One of the sounds sounded like a religious message. And yeah, it does sound like it said Islam is the light. Your point? I constantly mishear things my friends say, and hear something that's completely crazy instead, and that's when there speaking normal, non-digitized English. The correct response to this is to say, "That's weird" and forget about it. The company's correct response is to say, "Huh that's weird we should playtest our games better" and move on. Sadly, this will be a big thing because Bigotry against Islam is one of the few remaining Bigotries that are socially acceptable in America. But really, if your going to put a pro-islam message in a game, you arn't going to put it in like that. As a pro-Islam message, that sound clip is completely useless. Well at least there INEPT muslim extremeist video game afficianado sound programmers. I mean really, what are people imagining happened here, to get this in the game.

And more examples of people not understanding how video games work. I guess if I get salmonella from a piece of chicken, I can sue the makers of the fork I'm using. I don't expect people to really get my hobby, I don't expect them to be able to compare the different gameplay mechanics of Dawn of War 1 and 2, but if it comes up, I do expect you to understand the basics of how games reach a video game system, if its relevant to the news story. They definitely implied that Nintendo had some blame. I havn't been this annoyed since people wanted ESRB ratings to reflect User Generated content.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GreigKM said:
I bet it also says "Gay people are not all godless satanists"
Seriously, If you think this is honestly saying "Islam is the light" then you are insane. This is just an Islamaphobic idiot in a suburb who has been raised to be a good Christan.
I really think that if you hear something opposing your own religion in a game that is meant to enterain your kids, you wouldn't appreciate it. If I bought this game for my kid and it said "Jesus is our savior" then I would be very pissed off because it's trying to tell my kid that "Jesus is the savior" because I don't believe in him. I'm not an Anti-Christian, but it's extremely annoying because it comes off as a company trying to shove their religion down my kids throats.

Now, whether or not the game actually says that stuff is debatable, but you're not going to appreciate a company putting in "My religion is the true one!" messages in your kids game will you?

If it does turn out that it says "Islam is the light" then I say let the woman sue. Religion has no place in games (unless it's something like Bible-man aimed at people who know religion) especially games aimed at kids who don't know better.

Lanowar

Oct 10, 2007
This is a good article about the talking doll incident and it covers how I feel about the DS bit as well.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2008/10/10/talking-doll-allegedly-says-islam-is-the-light.htm

GreigKM

Dec 9, 2008
I would buy a game called Bible-Man, just to see what its like. But it's kind of obvious that it's not saying it and the company just made a cheap game and recycled an already made sound effect.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Even if it did say something, compare one semi hearable phrase for Islam with a slew of Pro Christian media. Few Christians realize how similar, nay almost Identical Islam is in it's beliefs to Christianity.

sidhe3141

Jun 12, 2008
Xiado said:
sidhe3141 said:
Well, the fact that she says the doll said the exact same thing and was made by a different company points to either a massive Islamic conspiracy or just a paranoid superChristian... And the fact that she's freaking out about her son's toys and all seems to point to paranoia.
You mean Turbo-Christian.

Why should we be afraid of Islamic terrorists when there are Christian terrorists who blow up planned parenthood centers; there are the fanatics of any religion who take things too far, but the fact that the news listened to this paranoid lady really saddens me.
And the difference between a superChristian and a Turbo-Christian and a Christ-O-Matic is...?

As for the media listening, does it really surprise you that much? They already blame everything from school shootings to tax evasion on videogames; now that they have an excuse to sell papers and airtime and such with "Nintendo brainwashes 8-year-old into converting to radical Islam! News at 11!", they're going to.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
I have some questions about this (don't worry, they're all one word questions),

Yes? And? So? What?

I fail to see where any problem could arise from this. When did we unanimously agree that anything that mentions Islam is suddenly not kid friendly?

On top of this there is the issue of why a pro-Islam message would be there in the first place, if I was trying to convince the masses to follow my beliefs then I doubt I'd use the medium of DS games to communicate with the public.

The mother who claimed this is ever so slightly over-reacting.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
I know it says "Islam is the light", wanna know why? Because the tv told me it was so there. :p it sounds more like "isla isdalight" and any parent knows sometimes babies will just babble and occasionally you could've sworn you heard a word or 2 in there.

sidenote, maybe it's just me but anyone find that mom a little...I'd-tap-thatable?

River Otter

Jan 8, 2009
We're all gonna hear what we want. What should have been done is the clip should be shown to us without prior knowledge of what psycho lady thought it said. I personally don't care either way if it says it or not.

Ladie Au Pair

Jan 27, 2009
I don't think I would have heard "Islam is the light," with out having been told that's what it sounds like. I think of would have picked up on light, but not the rest of it. To be honest, my first thoughts when I heard this were:

Ishmael's* in the light
Ishmael's a delight
Dishabill** in the light
Afternoon Delight

*(in the Bible) a son of Abraham, by his wife Sarah's maid
**the state of being only partly or scantily clothed

On a side note, I don't think she should have taken it from her kid...

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
You can hear "voices" loud in clear in a randomly generated waveform if you're told that they're there in advance. This is just another example of a whole load of similar phenomena - backwards messages in songs, the idea that people subconsciously say what they really mean, (but again, backwards) as they say something else, ghost's whispering on tape. All of it is down to the uncanny ability of the human brain to find patterns that don't exist, and _especially_ when we're already primed to look for them.

Same basic cause as most 'tricks of the light', the face on Mars, the man in the moon, that song that sounds like "excuse me while I kiss this guy", emoticons looking human enough for us to recognise emotions in them, the uncanny valley even. All comes down to our brains being so good at finding patterns, whether they're there or not.

BlueHydra

Jan 14, 2009
I think the main issue with this is the game wasn't tested properly. I mean how many baby's can actually say the 'the light' and be understood?
I Definitely hear at the very least 'the light' but it does sound more like 'Isla is the light' than 'Islam is the light'

Anyway you put it, the designer should have picked up on it and removed it from the game because even if she does end up sounding paranoid other people are hearing the same thing.

InifniteWit

Oct 24, 2008
So what? If you found 'Go Jesus' In a game no one would care. This islamic discrimination is starting to piss me off. It's like Obama. SO what is he is a Muslim does that make his bad?

vede

Dec 4, 2007
The very reason I can't stand most Americans.

Honestly, so many people are going bat-shit crazy over everything that's possibly a hint at maybe having some sort of minor affiliation with Islam.

There's people where I live saying that Obama needs to be shot because he's black\Muslim all over the place. Someone once threatened to stomp on my head and beat my chest in because I said I was an atheist.

I can't wait until I'm old enough to move the fuck out of here...

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I clearly heard "light" myself but the rest was just gibberish to me.
Same here. I'd say to close to call an investigation, but let the mother decide what she's going to teach her kids.