Motion Controls Are the Future of Shooters, Says Killzone 3 Dev

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
MoDu said:
Millions and millions of people disagree with your "fundamentally broken" premise. And motion controls don't work around a accelerometer, they work around 3 accelerometers, 3 giroscopes and another form of 3d localization (IR pointer on the Wii, color ball and camera on PS3).

Don't get me wrong, I logged far too many hours Perfect Dark's Multiplayer, but Wii fps are so much more immersive, confortable and fast!

For comparison's sake, checking the MoH2 Wii, which supports all kinds of controller inputs (wiimote pointer, classic controller, zapper), you'll see the best ranked players all use either wii pointer or zapper.

Geez, even with that clunky zapper, which was NOT made for an FPS' full controll, people are better than with a dual analog setup.

Of course, the controls on that game are good and can be tuned. And it has very little lag or slow frame-rate, both of which Red Steel was a serious ofender.

BTW, in MoH: wii, you can adjust your snipper rifle's zoom by moving your wiimote closer or farther away from the TV. It's intuitive, works great and fast. Interface 101: the least buttons, the better, as long as it's intuitive.
1) Millions of people think the moon landing was a fake, the Earth is only a few thousand years old and China is a state in America.

2) Actually 1 gyroscope and 1 accelerometer and 1 gyroscope and 1 magnetometer for the Wii and Move but the upshot is the same. You can tell if it's moving but any more precision than that is pretty much guesswork.

3) The pointer/camera functionality is pretty strong, every successful* motion control game has used these functions to the exclusion of all else. Take Trauma Center, when pointing the controller works great, when trying to track the position the thing hasn't got the slightest clue. Later games traded on credibility to make it appear like it was sensing movement.

4) For games based on aiming the Wiimote will provide a competitive advantage, I already said this. A good replacement needs to make the game play better. That said the competitive advantage will SELL Moves which is why we see them in major First and Second party titles.

*Edit: Succesful in terms of the motion controls added to the experience such as Resident Evil 4, rather than succesful in terms of they sold a bajillion copies, such as any old crap.

MoDu

Oct 14, 2010
Rack said:
1) Millions of people think the moon landing was a fake, the Earth is only a few thousand years old and China is a state in America.
This is an argument?

Rack said:
2) Actually 1 gyroscope and 1 accelerometer and 1 gyroscope and 1 magnetometer for the Wii and Move but the upshot is the same. You can tell if it's moving but any more precision than that is pretty much guesswork.
Wrong, Wiimote has no magnetometer, only Move has that. And each accelerometer IC and gyroscope IC have 3 axis, which is essentially what I said.

Precision, guesswork? Try playing a non-party game and then come back to me on that. Wait, try a party game, try Sports Resort and tell me it's guesswork. Sheesh, yeah, all those 1:1 movements on swordplay and kayaking come pretty much from a dice roll.

Rack said:
3) The pointer/camera functionality is pretty strong, every successful* motion control game has used these functions to the exclusion of all else. Take Trauma Center, when pointing the controller works great, when trying to track the position the thing hasn't got the slightest clue. Later games traded on credibility to make it appear like it was sensing movement.
I don't understand what you're saying here, you say pointer functionality is pretty strong but something about the position is wrong?

Rack said:
4) For games based on aiming the Wiimote will provide a competitive advantage, I already said this. A good replacement needs to make the game play better. That said the competitive advantage will SELL Moves which is why we see them in major First and Second party titles.
Are you saying that a "fundamentally broken" controller scheme gives people a competitive advantage?
Doesn'te that contradict everything you said?

Listen, if you don't like something, don't invent problems, just come out and say: "I don't like this."

I mean, I hate the PS1/2/3 controller but I'm not going out saying that having a left joystick more easily accessible to the thumb is wrong or has less precision. I just plain don't like it and play on a PC with a gamecube controller.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
But they're NOT accurate, anyone who's spent any time with motion controls would know this.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Rack said:
In a game where aiming is key it can provide a competitive advantage but we shou;d be looking for a replacement that is more comfortable, intuitive and immersive than dual analogue and motion controls are nowhere near that level yet.
Did you just say that dual analogue is more intuitive and immersive than motion controls?

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Mornelithe said:
Electrogecko said:
First of all, the fact that so many people think that the keyboard mouse combo is the best setup they've ever used for an FPS is simply pathetic. When did this peripheral come out? I can tell you that it was before the first video games were even concieved, so why don't people realize how outdated and unsuited it is? If your favorite controller for any type of game is a couple devices that were designed for navigating cpu's and have not been substantially revised in the last half century, it only shows how incredibly much we need a new method of control- one that is designed from the ground up for PLAYING GAMES.
Mouse, Keyboard, and Gamepads have been out for a very long time, and are constantly updated, tweaked and revolutionized (track ball to optical to laser to multiple laser etc...) That you're actually arguing in favor of controller when all imperical evidence proves otherwise, well, that's actually pretty pathetic.

Btw, I agree that MC is better than controller, but it's nowhere near a mouse/keyboard. It has the ability, but not this time around (not with these devices anyway).
When it comes to shooters, I'd certainly say that MC is better than a gamepad. I don't know where you got the idea that was my argument.