Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword Preview

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
I say old chap said:
Astalano said:
Must. Buy.

I must have played the whole series for over 1000 hours...

DON'T JUDGE ME
I don't judge you brother mercenary... You aren't Swadian are you?
The nordic kingdom is the only right answer!

By the longbow and the sword I live, huscarls charging while longbowmen cut down the ranks of my enemies!

Desavouret

Nov 11, 2009
This will be a day one purchase for me. I just love supporting this company and this is one of the best examples of a dynamic world RPG that I've ever seen.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
So... how do you defend yourself against gun fire?

I'm assuming that shields just don't cut it anymore.

Chaza

Dec 15, 2010
The first thing is thought of is that it looked like medival total war 2 from the first 10 seconds and also some of the menus. I'm not sure about the graphics do they genuinly bother anyone?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Zhukov said:

I imagine much in the same way you were forced to tackle Rhodok Sharpshooters and their damned siege crossbows, might as well have been firearms. You either don't charge headlong into them or you let other soldiers engage them first.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Slycne said:
Zhukov said:

I imagine much in the same way you were forced to tackle Rhodok Sharpshooters and their damned siege crossbows, might as well have been firearms. You either don't charge headlong into them or you let other soldiers engage them first.
Huh.

I never encountered any weapon in Warband that couldn't be stopped by a decent shield.

Then again, I never got round to picking fights with the Rhodoks.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
jez29 said:
Having played a preview build of this myself, I'm sitting on the fence regarding the guns. It's not due to mechanics: in single player I thought they struck a great balance between power and accuracy and they certainly won't stop bows from being important, but I'm concerned that in multiplayer they'll change the balance of cavalry/infantry/archer that was so well tuned in Warband. Still, multiplayer wasn't in the preview, so who knows? The rest of the game looks very promising and I've no doubt it'll eat up just as many of my hours as the other two games have.

Owlslayer said:
Looks quite cool, though i hope not all guns are 1-shot-kill, they seem a bit overpowered. But still looks cool.

One thing that caught my eye was the city of Riga. It made me wonder, is the map somewhat close to reality, or is that just a random name they thought up of? Any chance there's a city called Tallinn or Reval there ?
As I mentioned, the guns are quite nicely balanced at present. The only thing I'm annoyed about not having tried is grenades, but they were stupidly expensive in this build (I'm talking in the tens of thousands for a small bag of them, its clearly something that was broken in the preview).

The map is pretty close to the actual geography of Eastern Europe, and that is Riga as in the capital of Latvia, in the right place. I'm not sure if Tallinn is in there though!
Don't worry about multiplayer, I'm sure everyone will use guns and whatever counts as a sniper rifle while hiding behind building ala CounterStrike.

Just do like me: Enjoy the singleplayer and never touch multiplayer. Your sanity and sense of maturity will thank you.

Jigero said:
Very unimpressed, I loved warband I got like 400 hours so far logged into it...why are they trying to cram in multiplayer? it's unneeded at best. I'd rather get a graphical overhaul then buggy and god awful multiplayer that's only gonna be relevant for a week.
This, this, THIIIIIS! Give me more singleplay, or say co-operative where my friends can join my fights, but for the love of all things Holy do NOT give me another half-assed mltiplayer designed for schizophrenic jumpers.

Taluien

Apr 15, 2009
Never touched the multiplayer part of M&B, but the singleplayer gave me several "WTF sunlight already?!" moments. I played through several nights with it without realizing. I think the manifold of possible options is what makes the game stand out and above all those "Must look pretty"-games. I could be a merchant. A knight out for tourneys. A thief. An Evil Overlord that obeys the Evil Overlord List (as far as it is possible, darned enemy Nobles and their inbuilt invulnerability plus escape artist training). Or maybe an adventurer. A loyal noble of one side. I even reenacted the freaking Golden Horde. This freedom of choice, and yes, the freedom to fail miserably and get kicked so hard to the ground that I have nothing left, is what will bring me back to it again and again. Sure, there is no "real" story in Warband (which is why I find the idea of factionbased overarching storys one can take part in great), but then again, there doesn't have to be. The story is what my mind creates. It's a bit like painting a picture for me, the game is the canvas and the palette, but my mind is the brush, creating whatever story I wish to tell to myself.

For me, it's a great experience that not many games have made possible for me.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Astalano said:
I say old chap said:
Astalano said:
Must. Buy.

I must have played the whole series for over 1000 hours...

DON'T JUDGE ME
I don't judge you brother mercenary... You aren't Swadian are you?
The nordic kingdom is the only right answer!

By the longbow and the sword I live, huscarls charging while longbowmen cut down the ranks of my enemies!
Nords... hmmm, great infantry and hardy soldiers. Love the throwing axes. I prefer the Vaegirs cav and foot, Khergit horse archers. Sarranids have some fine horses too if you want to go cav. Rhodok sergeants are great and useful too!

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Taluien said:
Never touched the multiplayer part of M&B, but the singleplayer gave me several "WTF sunlight already?!" moments. I played through several nights with it without realizing. I think the manifold of possible options is what makes the game stand out and above all those "Must look pretty"-games. I could be a merchant. A knight out for tourneys. A thief. An Evil Overlord that obeys the Evil Overlord List (as far as it is possible, darned enemy Nobles and their inbuilt invulnerability plus escape artist training). Or maybe an adventurer. A loyal noble of one side. I even reenacted the freaking Golden Horde. This freedom of choice, and yes, the freedom to fail miserably and get kicked so hard to the ground that I have nothing left, is what will bring me back to it again and again. Sure, there is no "real" story in Warband (which is why I find the idea of factionbased overarching storys one can take part in great), but then again, there doesn't have to be. The story is what my mind creates. It's a bit like painting a picture for me, the game is the canvas and the palette, but my mind is the brush, creating whatever story I wish to tell to myself.

For me, it's a great experience that not many games have made possible for me.
Agree, very much agree. That is why I still play.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
I really enjoyed the original Mount and Blade, and I wasted hours and hours of time with it (and with it's excellent mods!), but the fact that they release expansion packs for which they charge the price of a brand new game is really... criminal, in my opinion.

Edit: Hopefully this one won't have a seriously over powered faction. I'm looking at you, Khergits.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

darkkan2125

Jan 2, 2010
wait wasnt there already a mod for MB that did the whole gun thing and pretty much had the same system of high dmg/long reload

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mount-and-musket-battalion-mod

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Funny enough, this game was released in Poland on 4th of December 2009 ;) I guess we as Poles were the target audience!

+1 for Hussars!

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
Zhukov said:

I think shields would lessen the damage and probably take less damage to themselves from arrows, so they wont explode but you still take damage, thatd be interesting or alternatively dont be there to get shot, you could hide behind your horse.

I cant wait for this, I liked playing a dragoon in warband but crossbows dont quite cut it with me. I wonder if you can use the 4 inventory slots like this: Gun, Gun, Gun, bag of bullets. Bang, bang, bang, run away to reload

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
I have a copy of M&B: Warband arriving tomorrow, and am excited :)

I haven't played the first though; I hope I won't be missing too much...